Something Better Than McD.

Even Though I'm Not A Unicorn

“Sal, guess who’s coming!”

The morning after Kris called me,I was feeding my grey Persian cat Periwinkle, or Perry for short, when he suddenly stepped in to my flat. He was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt, a pair of blue jeans, and his beloved Nike red sneakers. On his right hand is a white medium-sized plastic bag. Guess it’s some sort of snacks inside it.

“Lol. So you really missed me. You called me last midnight and now you come over.”

He my hair and sit beside me, and once smiled at Perry.

“Perry is such a stupid name.” Kris tried to reach Perry and sit her on his laps.

“Oh, come on,” I complained, “it’s the short form of Periwinkle. You know that.”

“I know, but…why don’t you name her Lay? I know Perry is a female but…”

Without waiting him to finish his sentence, I went to the kitchen and took a box where 5 little kittens were sleeping. When I returned to the living room with that box, Kris looked surprised.

“You were on tour last week. I forgot to tell you that Perry just gave birth to…well, introducing, Hazel Grace, Anna, Elsa, Kris, and… Lay.” I cheerfully mentioned the first four names, but when I mentioned the last one…I feel like God was trying to cut my tongue. I suddenly feel pain on it.

A sudden silence.

“W-wait…Kris? And Lay?” Kris tried to break the silence.

“They are the only 2 males between the 5 of them.” I explained.

“I do understand you named one of them ‘Lay’…but what’s with ‘Kris’?”

“It’s the short form for Kristoff…the guy in ‘Frozen’. The one who ended up dating Elsa.”

We laughed so hard that I afraid the newlywed couple will feel disturbed.

“Bahahah! I thought you named him after me…”

“I won’t, you ! It’s useless!” I hit his shouder.

****

I cooked lasagna for lunch, or brunch to be exact. We enjoyed our lunch in the living room while watching Star King.

"The show is getting so boring." I said, with a mouth full of lasagna.

"Of course it's boring, because the guest star is not EXO."

I was about to throw a spoon of lasagna at him, but then his iPhone rang.

Xingxing. That's the writing on his screen. The caller is Lay.

Kris purposely the loudspeaker mode.

"Hello?"

"Ge, can you please go back to the dorm? I'm not feeling well."

 

I automatically turned off the TV, instead of lowering the volume. Even if I don't know Chinese, for Zhang ing Yixing, I'll listen to this important conversation.

"What happened?" Kris asked, in Chinese. I understand what he said because 'what happened' is a pretty mainstream phrase.

"I just vomitted five minutes ago. No one's in the dorm. They're all gone. The K members are going on a photoshoot, and I don't know about the rest." Lay answered, unexpectedly, in Korean.

"You're depressed. That's normal."

"KRIS YOU SON OF A-" I was really mad that I almost cursed but then Kris covered my mouth with his -sized hands.

"Ge? Is someone with you right now?" Zhang ing Yixing asked in a really weak voice.

"I'll be there in an hour, hold on. Do you want something to eat? I'll buy you on my way to the dorm."

"I want McDonalds. I'm craving McNuggets right now."

"Oh please, you don't eat McD when you just vomitted."

"Kris, I think I know..." I tried to talk but his hand covered my mouth again.

"Ge, can you tell me who's with..."

"I'll buy you something better than McD. Believe me, you'll like it." he ended the conversation. And he uncovered my mouth.

"Why the you didn't let me talk to him?!"

Kris walked to my kitchen without hesitating. "Tell me where did you keep the rest of the lasagna."

What?

"No. Why?" I refused his request. I'm still mad.

"No? What if I told you that I'm giving the goddamn lasagna to him."

Oh , the "butterflies-in-my-belly" moment again.

"W...Will he like it?" I half-whispered, hesitating.

"Just give it a try. If I like it, then he'll like it."

***

 It's been a week since Kris came over and the 'lasagna incident' happened, but I still wonder if Zhang ing Yixing would like my lasagna. The "if I like it, then he'll like it" sentence by Kris didn't satisfy me that much. In fact, I'm still worrying about it until now.

Oh, happens. I'm going to be late.

"Sally Kim, where are you?! The recording is going to start in 2 hours!" cried the fat coordi-eonnie panicly.

Where have I been? Well, daydreaming. Thinking about scenarios that won't happen in my life. One of them, unsurprisingly, is marrying Zhang ing Yixing,

"I'm late, I'm late, I'm late. Fml." I mumbled, rushing down through the stairs of my flat building.

Today is the first comeback stage of EXO, AND THEY RECRUITED ME AGAIN! Yeay! The concept this time is vampire. Which means I should work harder this time, because vampire concepts needs a vampire make-up, which is actually new to me.

Finally, a cab stopped for me, and I'm rushing in right away.

"KBS Building, Yeongdeungpo-gu." I mentioned the place I'm going to.

***

"Nice to meet you again, Sally-ssi." Baekhyun said when I was putting some eyelines on him.

"Nice to meet you again, too."  I replied in Korean, without getting my eye off the place where I put the eyeliner.

After I was done with the eyeliner, I put the eyeliner back into my make-up supply bag and searched for the comb. I needed it. For Baekhyun, ofcourse. Suddenly, I feel a pat on my shoulder.

"Not now, Kris. Can't you see I'm busy right now?" I said, keep on searching for the comb in the bag without looking at the person who patted me.

"Oh, okay, can I talk to you later after you're done?" a...Korean sentence.

My hands stop searching. No. It's not Kris's voice. He always talk to me in English. His voice is so deep that I thought it came from his feets. But not this one. The voice is so soft, fluffy, and just hearing his voice, I swear you'll want to pinch his cheeks.

I turned my head. Zhang ing Yixing.

As expected, the "butterflies-in-my-belly" moment. It's enough. I need a surgery, like, now.

Damn, I hate speechlessness. 

"Yah, stop talking to her! Don't you know she's working right now?! I need to hurry up!" suddenly, Baekhyun's loud voice cracked the silence. I almost forgot that I was doing his make up.

"Okay, sure. Sorry, Baekhyun. Hey, talk to me later." he said to me and walked away. I nodded, but still shocked.

those people who said that fairytales aren't real.

***

The boys were done with the recording.

"Sugohaesseo, everyone!" Suho shouted. The rest of the boys cheered and clapped.

I smiled. You guys had worked really hard since the start.

They all walked out of the waiting room, to their cars.

Except one.

Zhang ing Yixing.

"Remember what you promised just now?" he pulled my hand right away.

"Oh, uh, wait, the cars are leaving us!" I warned. But it seems like he didn't care. He took me to a place that I didn't know where. I just followed him cluelessly.

We walked up through the stairs. Entering the elevator. And finally, we're in the highest floor of the building.

Now everything is clear enough. The balcony. Where he confessed to Jang Nara 2 years ago.

I automatically told myself that I'm okay.

"I really like this place, come with me. Don't worry about the cars, we can go back to the SM Building by cab later."

Everything here is just...amazing. It's like I can see the whole world from a small place like this. Cars. Other tall buildings. Shops.

And something that I really love...the evening sky.

"Why are you taking me to this place?

Is he going to confess? Is he going to...

"Anyway, thanks for the lasagna. It's really delicious!" that killer smile. Unf.

It's been a while since the last time I saw that smile.

"Oh, no problem." I smiled back.

"It seems like you never talked to anyone besides Kris everytime you work for us. You're really...mysterious. You're Sally, right? Gosh, we have so many make-up artists that I can't memorize their names."

My smile widened. "Yes. I'm Sally."

"Do you have any Korean name?" he said in a very soft, fluffy voice.

"Technically, yes. Kim Chae-rin. But CL's real name is also Chae-rin, so I changed my nickname to Sally. So people won't get confused." we laughed. Dimples displayed. "But I'm still Chae-rin though. My passport says so."

"Cool." he smiled. He looked at the view infront of us. "Do you know why I took you here?"

No.

"I just want to know you more. It's been a long time since I ate a home-made food when I was sick. I liked your lasagna very much. Where did you got the recipe?"

Please, control yourself, butterflies. I'm replying the question.

"My Mom. She always cooked me lasagna every weekend when we're still in Seattle."

He nodded, understood.

"So that's why you're very good in English. You lived in America, once."

This time, I nodded.

The sky is getting darker.

"Maybe we should take a cab now. Come on." he pulled my hand again and I just followed.

If this is just a dream, so please God, just make this world into a Dreamland or something. I won't regret a thing.

I'm glad that my lasagna actually tastes better than McD...but that's not the point.