Admiration

My Mother & I

Late!

That was the first word came into my mind as I dashed through school gate which almost closed and thankfully, my body is slim enough to went through with it. I gave the guard salute with playful grin on my face before running with all my might before he caught my name.

In the midst of running, I fixed my messy hair and tucked in my shirt. I even tightened the tie around my neck as I run towards upstairs where my class are.

The first period is History where we would learned Joseon Era. If I’m not mistaken. But before I got to reach my hand on the knob of the door, I stumbled upon someone or rather a girl and fall on top of her.

Luckily, neither of us kissed each other as I hurriedly rolled over to the side. As a gentleman, I extended my hand to help her up but she looked down that I couldn’t see her face properly.

“Err, miss? Are you okay?” I initiated the conversation. Did I hurt her somewhere I don’t know?

Just then, she looked up and throw me a deathly glare. She got up by herself and wipe off the dust from her skirt. “You’re late, Baekhyun. You even bump at your senior so you will staying at school to do your detention.” Taeyeon noona said in firm voice.

Uh-oh. The mysterious Taeyeon noona.

“But noona, it was unintentional. I didn’t mean to bump at you for any reason.” I pleaded her but she ignored me totally.

“Get into class and meet me at broadcast room on recess. I will tell you your detention today.” She said for final before walking ahead of me with a leather book in her grasp. I looked at her until she lost from my sight. She is really a scary senior.

When I was about to open the door, it was opened from inside and appeared Miss Bomi who is glaring at me with her playful grin which is very common among the students. She is going to make me pay for the reason I late for her class.

“Good morning, Miss Bomi!” I throw my charming smile towards her but she didn’t fazed at all. My face fell since my first attack wasn’t good. Damn, my mother would killed me if she knew about this.

Miss Bomi who is still grinning approached me and realized she is a bit taller than me when she was wearing high heels. “That’s the only words you can managed to say, Mr. Kim Baekhyun? How about standing in front of the class and explained any history you could remembered from the past class?”

I gulped. She is really not an easy woman that I could hop off from the hook immediately. I glanced around and caught Kibum’s eyes. I sent him secret glance; hoping he could helped me from any further detention.

I had enough with Taeyeon’s noona detention but Miss Bomi? Oh, it’s better I went to hell; rotting.

He chuckled before standing up; attracted the brunette. “Miss, I think we’re going to be left behind from other class if you keep pushing him to remember. You don’t want 7A1 class reputation down, aren’t you?” Kibum said almost alluring but enough to startled the teacher.

She glances at me like ‘I’m not going to let you go that easily’ look before ushering me to get my seat. “As you heard, the first semester test would be postponed till next week so we could celebrate Teacher’s Day.” She lets out a restraint cough when her students started to mumble between each other. “But I really hope all of you could focused on maintaining your grade since I don’t want my class is behind from the other class. Can you promise me that, 7A1?”

I glance around to see my classmates with a glint of mischievous in their eyes. Are they planning something that I didn’t know?

Neither of them said anything and Miss Bomi is almost feeling down when I decided to be one of the promising student.

“I promise you, Miss Bomi.” I said; ignoring all the death glare I received from them. Truthfully, I felt so insecure because what if I couldn’t score well in my test? Everyone is so damn intelligent but I fell in category moderate.

My thoughts were interrupted when someone patted my back. Chanyeol, what the hell with that scary smile of yours? I was taken aback with his attitude.

“What? Did I said something wrong?”

Chanyeol ruffled my hair and laughing. “If you already promised her which means you have to work extra hard, eh Bacon? You’re not in normal high school.”

Kibum also got up from his seat and took an empty seat in front of me. Miss Bomi already left us a few homework and pages for revision. No wonder the class is a bit hype.

“True, Baekhyun.” Kibum joined him too.

I felt confused. “What the hell that supposed to mean? It’s not like I had to get first place among 7th year students right? Geez!” I murmured but when their lips curved upward, I know I’ve make a terrible mistake which I cannot undone.

“.” I cuss under my breath.

Both of them laughed so hard that they almost toppled down from their seat. I could see the tears escaped from their eyes.

“Ha ha ha. Very funny. Enjoyed the moment while it last. Why am I involved in this such matter? Eomma!” I whined as I hit my head on the table with loud thump.

Chanyeol’s ear perked up when he heard a word of mother. “You’re sound like a little child begging for your mother. Hey, how is she? It’s been a while I didn’t go to visit her since my father grounded me after he found out that I played too much games instead of studying.” He complaints.

Kibum raised his eyebrow. “You already meet his mother? When?” He asked.

I lets out a nervous laugh. “It’s only a coincidence. That’s all. Hey, since you’ve been at this school that long, mind telling me about Taeyeon noona?” I asked about the mysterious senior who is going to tell me my detention for bumping into her today. Darn it!

They were looking at each other like I was talking about someone that didn’t even exist. “You called her noona?” Chanyeol breaks the silence.

I shrugged my shoulder like it’s not a big deal. “Yeah, so? She’s older than me and it’s very considerate of me to call her noona instead of scary noona since you know – she had that mysterious aura around her. What is she? Witch?” I snickers as I make a comment about her.

“How long has you know her?” It’s Kibum turn to ask me.

I lost in thought. “Four, five days since I got admitted to Radio Club. Why, is it forbidden to call her by noona? She seems didn’t mind though and Sunny noona doesn’t said anything regarding the nickname.”

“Well, you see. Taeyeon sunbae-nim is one of the heirs in high ranking which means her place is much higher than us. Her father is very influenced man and didn’t like any mistake or rejection at all making him cold-hearted towards people around him including his own daughter. If I’m not mistaken, she used to smile a lot and interacted with people but when her mother left her for unknown reason, she shut herself and stopped talking except important matters.” Kibum explained.

My face dropped. “That bad? He completely ignored her because he thought power is much important?”

Chanyeol decided to chirp in too. “Don’t forget grades. She must maintained her grades until her graduation day or she would be send to Australia and lived with her grandparents who is much relaxed and doesn’t have expensive stuffs she used to has.”

I slumped myself back on the seat. I thought I was the only one who had problem but someone is having much trouble than mine. It’s better I shouldn’t complaint.


Seohyun was busy blending her customer’s drink. She poured it in the plastic container and sealed the cup. Then, she sprayed a mouthful of whipped cream. She turned around and placed it on the tray as she received the payment from the customer.

“Thank you. Please come again!” She bids him goodbye and ready to accept another order when her face overwhelmed with happiness seeing not one but three person that familiar to her.

“Baekhyun, dear! Chanyeol, right?” She pointed her finger at my left and titled her head at another person. “What’s your name? I think he doesn’t tell me your name.” She smiles welcoming; causing the young man to blush furiously.

Eomma, stopped making my friend blushing all of sudden!

Kibum rubbed his back of head. “My – my name is Kim Kibum. Nice to meet you.” He nods slightly.

I noticed there was another person standing behind them and hurriedly ordered something for him and his two friends. “I’ll see you at the back.” I said.

My mother nods and quickly make their orders with her colleagues help; Minho who just arrived for his shift. I raise my hand as a gesture I greeted him and he did the same with a playful smirk tugged on his lips. I wonder why.

I glanced on my right where I saw a couple is having a happy conversation. It’s about their daily life and how bad and strict their bosses are but managed to mimic their respective boss to lighten the atmosphere.

Someone patted my shoulder so I shift my attention to them instead. I forgot that I’m not alone, I’m here with my best friends. Who soon turned to be my enemy.

“Yeah?” I casually said.

Chanyeol is still smiling like a fool while Kibum has lost his prince aura and kinda fell into embarrassing moment. Did I missed something?

“Bacon, I think I have my rival!” Chanyeol exclaimed with enthusiastic.

I frown. “Who is it? The long line of customers?”

He shook his head and mindlessly pointed his finger towards Kibum who occasionally stealing glances towards someone who is busy attending customers. Damn!

“Kibum, aren’t you seeing someone? Why are you staring at my mother like a lost puppy? Make up your mind.”

He gives me a bashful smile. I was taken aback with his attitude. No, no, NO! Not my mother!

“It was my father’s arrangement and I never agreed with him at the first place. Moreover, if I make a move on your mother, we could be family!” He said with cheerful voice.

I mentally slapped myself. “No way! I won’t allow that to be happen! And you, Chanyeol! Stop flirting with my mother. You’re only high school student for Heaven’s sake! My mother would only seeing you as my friends and not lover.” I said in fury voice but neither of them took my words seriously.

“Hey, it’s bonus! We’re still can maintained our friendship although you’re going to call me ‘dad’ soon. Plus, I don’t mind if my future wife is older than me. Your mother doesn’t look like she need someone around her age to be with her.” Chanyeol said.

Kibum interrupted. “No way! She’s going to marry me and that’s it. Plus, she must want someone who can care for her and always be there for her always unlike someone who goes missing for several days.”

“I’m not! I – I was going to train myself to become better person!” Chanyeol stuttered with his words but his cheek was red. Is it because of girl?

“Yeah, he goes missing because of girl. You know, Baekhyun. A person who couldn’t accept someone rejection could not be someone’s protector or shield. It’s only going to hurt that person even more if someone like him did reckless thing.” He explained.

I looked at Chanyeol who is stayed silent; probably agreeing with Kibum. Surprisingly, I don’t know he had that side of him because he is always happy and crack some jokes there and that. He never forgot to smile although people called it foolish smile.

While Kibum, he is more opposite. He smiles a lot but not a chatter person unlike two of us. He had a way of charming people especially ladies like what happened to Miss Bomi previously. If Chanyeol is more out-going, Kibum is more silent type person but each words that came out from his mouth were always the truth. He never told lie, though.

What about me? What kind of person I am when facing someone I like? Am I going to do reckless thing like Chanyeol when facing rejection or tell the truth on someone’s face if I felt like to?

Three of us must probably stayed silent throughout the days when a sound of tray startled us. We looked up and saw my mother is placing our drink on the table. She even brought us a few slices of cake. She smiles like a mother does before initiate the conversation first.

“What’s with the gloomy atmosphere, boys? Do I interrupted something that I shouldn’t know?”

I shook my head. “No, you didn’t interrupted anything. Are you taking a break now, eomma?” I asked in caring voice.

She nods. “Yeah, Minho is covering up for me. I don’t know I’ll be that busy that I don’t have time for my child and his friends. Please, help yourself boys.” She ushered them to eat but both of them were so embarrassing because someone they like is sitting at the same table as them.

Stupid immature kids!

“Eomma, ignored them. Just now they were fighting and now, fidgeting like little kids.”

Chanyeol hits my head on purpose. “Why you?!” But ended up received the same hit from Kibum. I owe that guy although I still object him to be my father.

My mother is smiling and I thought it was a purest smile I ever seen since father left us. “Kibum and Chanyeol, right? How is Baekhyun at school? Does he cause any trouble because he’s very rarely talking about school at home. I’m pretty worried.” She asked in soft voice.

My eyes were getting widen. This woman is a witch like appa said. I told her everything that happened even it was smaller incident because I don’t want her to felt left out. This is what she paid me back? Trying to dig her son’s secret at school? Kibum! Chanyeol! Don’t fall for her trick.

Chanyeol grinned as he sent me a wink. “He talked a lot at school and very popular with girls. Since he’s joined broadcasting club, he received a lot of fans letter. Just this morning, he almost received detention from Miss Bomi because he attended the class late than usual.”

I’m dead! I’m dead! My mother doesn’t know about my this because she went to my father’s grave first before proceeded to her workplace. She thoughts I already left for school but my clock isn’t working. I ended up brushing my teeth and poured the cold water over my body without using soap.

Thank goodness no one noticed that. I glanced at her way but she’s already sending me a death glare and I had to swallow a big chunk of saliva.

I throw a pity glance at Kibum to defend me but I guessed he didn’t caught that. Instead, he told her about my promise to Miss Bomi in achieving first place for the upcoming test. Not only in my class but entire Year 7.

“That’s great! This is such a good motivation for you, son! This is what I’ve been waiting for and I couldn’t wait to get rid of your Play Station and comics until you placed first on your test. And you’re so dead when I get home.” She said the last sentences in low voice so my friends won’t hear it.

“Understand.” I obeyed her orders while my friends were already laughing their off.


Taeyeon was flipping the pages when someone knocked the door and greeted her with her usual greeting. She smiles a bit before giving her fully attention on Mathematic book.

“Aren’t you supposed to get home by now, Taeyeon?” Sunny asked; twirling herself on the seat. She was about to head home but after making sure the broadcast club is perfectly in order and locked, she could headed home with ease. But the light still lit which means someone must be in there and she’s right.  It was her best friend.

“I don’t want to go home that early. My ears had enough to hear his complaints on pestering me to get into study or doing well enough to lead his company. I hate him.” She muttered slowly but Sunny understands. The pain she carried until now.

“I heard you gave Baekhyun detention for today? What did he do to you? I was quiet surprised to hear his voice through speaker because he is not skilful yet in handling his own broadcast.” She uttered with curious voice but Taeyeon stayed silent. A little smile tugged at the end of her lips.