Breath

Breath

They were once known as perfect couple by people around them. They cherished times spent together, they loved each other with all their hearts. They were once each other world.

And suddenly everything started to falling apart. They didn’t know when exactly they who were once couldn’t stand a day without each other started to avoiding each other. They didn’t know what happened that made their conversation which once filled with lovely whispers to each other changed to yell harsh hurtful words to each other face. They couldn’t told how hands that once hold each other firmly, now slammed the doors to stopped the other come closer. That just happened.

 


 

Sungmin slammed the door, desperately hold his tears on the brim of his eyes as he started to walk aimlessly. Hours later, he found himself in front of his best friend apartment, staring blankly at his door, contemplating to buzz the bell, or just walked away. Hyukjae must knew what happened because apparently he was waiting for Sungmin.

Sungmin just turns around, decided not to bothering his best friend.

“I am stood here for more than two hours, waiting for you. Yet now you are here, you don’t even bother to knock and will leave just like that?” He heard Hyukjae’s voice from behind the door.

His steps halted when he heard faint ‘click’, sound the door was unlocked. The smaller looks back, and there Hyukjae stood in his apartment hallway, leaning to the wall with his arms folded in front of his chest.

“I don’t want to disturb yo-“

“Bull.” Hyukjae cut his words, his eyes narrowed.

Sungmin’s peripheral view caught a small digital clocks placed on the top of Hyukjae’s shoes rack. “It’s pass midnight, too-“

“More reason for you not to wandering around aimlessly.” Hyukjae scolded him. “Come in.” He said, and walked back inside his apartment, didn’t bother to make sure if Sungmin following.

 


 

Disoriented because he just wake up, Sungmin for a moment didn’t knew where he was, reaching beside him, searching for a familiar body heat; but he couldn’t find it. His eyes opened, looking around, he found himself in Hyukjae’s guestroom instead of his bedroom. The brown haired man clenched his eyes shut for a moment when memories of what happened last night flooding his mind.

Hyukjae was halfway eating his breakfast when Sungmin came to the kitchen, clearly waiting for his guest to wake up because at normal days, he would leave for work already. Sungmin sat across Hyukjae, a toast and coffee was prepared for him. He started devouring his breakfast, tried to ignoring Hyukjae’s gaze at him.

“What was the problem hyung?"

"W-what problem?” He knew the taller would eventually asked him, but he was not in the mood to talk about that with anyone. Not even with his bestfriend.

“Donghae was here when Kyuhyun called him last night.” Hyuk still staring at the smaller, and he didn’t miss it as Sungmin flinched when he was mentioning Kyuhyun. “I know as far as you two fight. Again. And you left.”

Sungmin didn’t say anything, his expression was indifferent. If Hyukjae didn’t knew him better, he would believe that his hyung was fine. But he knew better than that; he knew that Sungmin cold demeanor was mere a façade, just a masks to let no one knew that he was hurting inside. He was acted all strong so he would not bothering anyone with his problem, so he won’t be a burden to his friends. Though Hyukjae wished he would opens up to him sometimes. His hyung’s strong demeanor often made him felt that he was failed as Sungmin’s best friend.

The taller sighed, “Fine, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to. Just know this, I am here if you ever need me, Min.”

Sungmin raised his eyes. Hyukjae usually called him ‘hyung’, he just call him by his name at serious occasions to emphasize what he meant. The smaller was grateful he had Hyukjae as his bestfriend, “I know…” He smiled softly before continued, “I will try to talk with Kyu later.”

“Hyung… Maybe, just maybe, you two should take a little break from each other.” Hyukjae said carefully, he didn’t want to hurting his best friend more. “At this moment, you hurts too much because of him. But Kyuhyun is also my friend, and honestly, I can see that he is hurting too.”

Sungmin knew what his dongsaeng meant; he knew that he often hurting Kyuhyun too. Hyukjae just too kind and too biased as his best friend to said that out loud.

 


 

Kyuhyun was sat alone in their living room, a bottle of soju in his hands, waiting for Sungmin to come home. The smaller man has not come back after he walked out because of their heated argument last night. that was not their first fight, but lately, the effect of that fights become worse and worse. He would still worried about his boyfriends if Hyukjae didn't told them Sungmin was in his place. He still love his boyfriend, that Kyuhyun knew. But in other hand, he also felt that their relationship now was meaningless, almost everytimes they tried to talks, they ended up fighting. He tired of that.

When Sungmin arrived at their apartment. Donghae nowhere in sight, but he was here, and had a slept over, judging from a blanket and pillow left on their sofa. Sungmin sighed heavily, lift his eyes to scrutinizing his boyfriend face; Kyuhyun looks tired, and sad. Sungmin gaze lingered on Kyuhyun’s lips. His lips which once adorned with soft smiles, now the corners slightly pulled down, formed a frown. His sharp nose, oh, how Sungmin missed the times they were cuddling together and his boyfriend would nuzzling his crown lovingly. The brown haired man gaze halted when he looks at Kyuhyun’s tired eyes. His brown soulful eyes now looks tired, and that very eyes looking at him longingly.

“Hi, Kyu…” Sungmin started awkwardly, couldn’t bear the pregnant silent between them anymore.

Kyuhyun just staring at him before sighing slowly, his hand lifted to ruffling his hairs for the umpteenth times. “We need to talk.”

‘So this is it…’ Sungmin thought silently. And without saying anything sat on the couch, across where Kyuhyun was.

“I think we need a break.” Kyuhyun started, looking deeply at his boyfriend indifferent face. And when the smaller man didn’t say anything, he continued “We are tired of each other, Min. Maybe this is the time for us to stop hurting each other.”

Sungmin still didn’t say anything, staring blankly at the floor between his feet. Even the only sign he heard what his boyfriend proposed was hi shoulder slumped slightly. Kyuhyun would missed that if he did as much as blinks.

And when he lifted his face to looks at Kyuhyun’e eyes, his lips tugged up with a smile. Kyuhyun felt a pang in his heart; Sungmin maybe smiled, he maybe looks indifferent, but Kyuhyun knew that was a fake smile, Kyuhyun knew his indifferent expression was merely a mask.

“Okay.” He said, looking deeply at Kyuhyun’s eyes, “Hyukjae also said something like that. I was hoped that we can try harder. But we need two hands to claps…” His voice trailed off.

Sungmin stands up, sighing audibly “I think I can stay at Hyukjae’s place. I will move out tomorrow.” And he went to their room without saying anything more.

Kyuhyun was speechless, Sungmin received their break up too well. No crying, no clinging, nothing. But what was he hoping for? He was Lee Sungmin, the strongest one among their groups. And when he heard a faint ‘click’, sounds of Sungmin locked the door, suddenly everything felt so real. They broke up. The once perfect couple now just two people who almost as close as strangers. Sungmin was not his anymore, nor he was Sungmin’s. With that realization, silent tears rolled down on his cheeks.

 


 


 

Two months passed after their break up, Kyuhyun never thought it would be so hard. He missed Sungmin like crazy, and he would do anything to get him back, if only the smaller man  was not moved on yet.

He first heard from Donghae that his ex-boyfriend was moved on already. Undoubtedly, Hyukjae told him, considering Sungmin practically lived with Hyukjae after he moved out from their shared apartment. He even heard that someone escorting the smaller man already. No wonder, Min always been cute and adorable made people intrigued as soon as they saw him.

 


 

Hyukjae was dragged him to this coffee shop when Donghae stop by his apartment this evening. Saying that he needed to accompanying Sungmin on a date, and didn’t want to be the third wheel if he went by himself. Donghae rejected at first, felt like if he did, he betraying Kyuhyun because he knew how much his best friend struggling with his break up. However, Hyukjae turned deaf with his protests, and there he was, in a overpriced coffee shop, sat across Hyukjae, with someone who he knew as Kangin, Hyukjae’s colleague, sat beside him. Sungmin sat across kangin, beside his best friend.

Donghae couldn’t help but noticed faint blush, and stupid grin on Kangin’s face every time Sungmin said something.  That muscular guy clearly interested with their friend. On other hand, Sungmin looks fine, much better than Kyuhyun actually, but he almost didn’t show any interests for Kangin except for friendly talks and pleasant smile.

He was still staring at Sungmin when his phone rang, ‘Oppa Oppa’ blaring loudly made whatever conversation happened on their table stopped and three pairs of eyes looking at him before he snapped, and hurriedly fishing his phone from his pocket. Nervous because of his friends stares, he answering the call without checking who the caller was.

“Hyuuung~ drink with meeeee…” Familiar voice heard from the speaker even before he could say ‘Hello’. And the caller apparently drunk or at least tipsy.

“Yaaa… You drink again?” Donghae immediately scolding him, frowning “Stop drinking, got drunk three times in a week are too much.” He said.

“Aaaa… You are no fun… “ His dongsaeng answered, voice a little bit slurred.

The brunette sighed before tried to talked some sense to the caller, “That not healthy, yo-“

“Fine, if you want me to be sad instead,” The younger cut him off

“It’s not li-“

“It’s hurt hyung… It’s really hurts…” His voice trailing off before the line went dead.

“Hello? Hei… Kyu? Kyuhyun?” Donghae realized his tongue slipped when he saw Sungmin’s hand which hold his glass to brought it to his lips abruptly halted halfway.

 


 

Kyuhyun honestly didn’t know when he exactly press the ‘call’ button. He didn’t even realized he knew his number by heart before now. Hell,  when he heard the other had moved on, he made sure to delete his number just so he wouldn’t ‘drunk call’ him, and ruined his promise to letting him go. Yet there he was, broke his promise, and calling him. And he not even drunk. A little bit tipsy, but still conscious enough, to know what he did.

Yet when the call connected and the other side didn’t say anything, memories rushed in his mind. He regretted letting him go, yet he couldn’t hold him back. He couldn’t watch him get hurts day by day, moreover, he was the one hurting him. Kyuhyun suddenly felt a lump blocking his throat. He couldn’t say anything, so he just sighed deeply.

 


 

Sungmin never thought Kyuhyun would call him, not when he was told that the younger was fine. His heart trembling involuntarily when he heart him sighed quietly. He remembered Donghae phone call just moment ago, and he felt pang in his heart.

‘Are you okay Kyuhyun? Are you really fine like they told me? Where are you now?’ There were too many questions he want to ask the younger. There were too many feeling left in his heart for him. Yet before he could even asked him, his tears rolling down his cheeks.

Memories of their happy times flowing together with his tears. It’s hurt, it’s still hurt too much when he reminded of that night when they broke up. The night when they promised to let each other go because everything just hurt too much at that moment. His tears flowing freely. He didn’t wiped it, He didn’t even care people staring at him. For now, he didn’t care that he, Lee Sungmin, the strongest man on their group who never cry, breaking down just hearing his breaths.

 


 

To wake up everyday, opening his eyes and facing a brand new day without Sungmin felt harder than dying for Kyuhyun. He barely getting through each day without breaking down at the end of the day, when he was alone at their once shared bedroom. But he couldn’t told him, he couldn’t let him know, instead, he asked Donghae to say that he was okay. That he was doing fine.

Kyuhyun once again sighed heavily, he didn’t want him to get worried, he want him to be happy like he always did before their relationship goes wrong. Like that times when his perfect M-shaped lips always adorned by soft smiles.

Still, when he heard Sungmin’s heavy breaths he couldn’t stopped his tears. He couldn’t stop the memories rushing in his mind. Even their smallest memories which he cherished so much, now made his heart hurts knowing that they were just memories. Knowing that times won’t came back, he promised to let him go.

 


 

There were so much things they wanted to told each other, there were so many questions they wanted to ask each other. Yet they didn’t say anything, they couldn’t. They said they were okay, they said they were doing fine. As people would think that because of their dignity to didn’t let the other knew how much they hurts, they did that to comforting each other so the other wouldn’t get worried even when actually they were in pain and actually were not okay at all.

 

 

*One more crappy fic from me.. ^^ If you read this till now, thank you… Thank you so much. If you bored and stopped halfway, I am not blaming you. Honestly, I am quite disappointed with some part of this fic. But I don’t know how to write better. I think that what happened when someone who can’t write trying to write.. ><