Men Don't Cry

The Fat and The Furious

It was now the year 2014. Two years since she stepped foot in Korea. My mother, Soo Jin, couldn't exactly say that she missed the country. After all, she did have a blast in America. Eating all the food and having to go outside without people looking at you from all directions just because of your weight. It was, indeed, a free country. People were nice to her and a lot of them thought that the fat was actually kinda cute, unlike in Korea, where most thought that even the slightest baby fat was a reason for you to starve yourself.

The only thing she did miss though, was Jeon Jungkook. Her adopted baby brother.

Ever since that incident, she was surprised that he actually turned up at the airport to send her off.

And believe me, from what I imagine, there must've been tears.

But uncle Jungkook doesn't like to talk about that.

Anyway, Soo Jin was inside an airplane, sleeping. She was halfway through her flight, and she had just finished eating. Her best friend, Sora, sat next to her, intently watching a movie. Lord of the Rings. LOTR geek FTW! Sora looked immensely different from her friend. A good different though. She was skinny, and Soo Jin always threatened to eat her if she didn't eat anything else except vegetables. Sora was tall and she was pretty. The reason why she went to America was because of her modelling career. She's my inspiration. But you should've seen how ugly she was they were kids.

None of their friends in Korea knew that they were coming back. Not that they had much friends anyway. But most importantly, Jungkook didn't know that she was coming back.

Don't get me wrong, they did have some communication back in America, but she decided to keep her arrival a secret, just so that she could surprise Jungkook.

Soo Jin slept there, hanging wide open, a trail of saliva rolling down her cheeks.

Surprisingly though, she wasn't dreaming about food.

---

Soo Jin gripped the pencil lightly, twirling it around her fingers as she thought about a new concept. Taking arts was not an easy thing, she discovered.

Sure, she loved it, but it didn't take a while for the inspiration to dry out. Nothing just sorta motivated her right now.

She looked at her computer screen and scrolled through Tumblr, hoping to see something that could possibly motivate her head and hands to work together. She reasoned that Art should come from the heart. You must be truly motivated to make art, otherwise, it won't be a masterpiece. It would just be another work of art. Not unique. It would be thrown to the side with the rest, because only a few make it up on a wall for others to see.

She was startled when a sound emitted from the computer, indicating that someone had messaged her. She squinted her eyes, as if it would make her read the text better.

DaJeonCookie98: Noona, can I talk to you?

SquishyJin67: I don't have battery on my phone. Call my landline. I gave you the number right?

Not too far later, she heard the phone ring and bounded towards it.

The last time they talked wasn't too long ago. Probably just two days ago, yet he wants to talk again. They normally contact each other once every week, so this time, what he wants to talk to her about must be pretty serious.

"Hello?~" she answered, adding in a tune.

"Hi noona," he replied over the line, his voice not sounding too well.

"You sound like a strangled cat. What happened?"

There was a silence, and for a moment she thought that he had hung up on her.

"Hello? Are you there?"

"... Noona you were right."

"I always am, Jungkook," she said, waving the thought away like it was the most obvious thing. "Now, be specific. I'm right about so many things, which one is it?"

"You... You were right... about her."

Her brows immediately furrowed deeply at the mention of that girl. "You mean Hyeri? Your girlfriend?"

"My ex."

Her face immediately lit up. "HALLELUJAH YOU GOT RID OF HER." She immediately cleared though, knowing that this was pretty serious. "Okay, Jungkookie. What happened?"

"She... she just..." he sniffled from the other line, and it was obvious to her that he was crying. "I dunno, I-I saw her w-with this-this guy a-and--"

"Jungkook-ah, shut up for a moment and take that time to cry," she waited as she could hear him clamp his mouth shut and sniffle to himself. She wished desparately to be there for him, but she knew that she couldn't. So, she was going to do everything in her power to consolidatethe young boy.

"Okay noona. I-I think I'm done." He sniffled.

"Okay, now breathe in..."

He took a breath of air as she told him to.

"... And out."

He exhaled.

"Now chant the words: Men don't cry. Men don't cry. Men don't--"

"Noona, do I have to--"

"Hush Jungkook. Just now, you acted like a total girl. Now chant. Men don't cry. Men don't cry."

He sighed as he gave in, as he always did. Soo Jin made him do the craziest things that, surprisingly, makes him feel better. "Men don't cry. Men don't cry," he chanted reluctantly.

(Psst. Sometimes, I still hear uncle Jungkook chanting this at night. It's totally creepy. It's like it's some sorta ing ritual.)

Twenty minutes later of their gay manly chanting, Jungkook finally came to a rest.

"Noona, she dumped me. I saw her with another guy. He was kissing her, and when I saw them and confronted them, she just... she just sorta waved me away. She... she said that it was over. That she found someone else," he said, not sniffling anymore, but still sounding somewhat hurt. Soo Jin stayed silent, waiting patiently for him to go on. "I mean, it would've been okay if she dumped me, because to be honest I could feel ourselves drifting away. But, she could've at least pretended to care. Like, she could've pretended to care about how I feel. It hurts. She's the first girl I've ever loved in a romantic way. And... and she broke me."

Soo Jin seethed silently in her chair, listening to her younger brother. "Jungkook. Don't you worry. We're gonna find you someone way better than her. Someone extremely phenomenal and that everyone would be jealous of."

He smiled as she said it. Where else can you find a better older sister? "Thanks noona. I appreciate it."

"Wait. But first things first. Give me her address."

"I... don't think that's necessary noona."

"Oh it is. I will eat her and everything she loves. And trust me, here in America, eating is my daily tradition."

---

"Jin."

"Mmmhhmmffdgghhh."
"Soo Jin."

"AAgghhhddfffggmmmm."

"Shin Soo Jin."

"Uuugghhhh."

"YAH. SHIN SOO JIN. WAKE UP!" Sora shook her awake, disrupting her dream.

The said girl choked on her spit and stood upright. She coughed roughly, glaring at her best friend. "Wake me up like that again, and I will cook you like I cook roast pork."

"Whatever," Sora laughed, indicating for her to stand up. "We landed. Couldn't you hear anything?"

"I just chose not to wake up. I was having such a good dream." She rubbed her stiff neck and struggled to stand up.

"Here, let me help you." Sora joined in with her struggle of standing up, raising both her arms, seeing that her legs were full of cramps from the long flight. "Goodness Jin. You had too much fun back in America."

"Damn right I did. It was nicer back there. God, we're back in Korea. That Jeon Jungkook better be thankful that I came back here. If it wasn't for him and my other course, I wouldn't come back to this wretched country." She complained, finally standing up. Soo Jin looked over at her friend, who looked like a mess since she almost literally got squashed by the weight. "Sheesh what took you?" She mocked Sora.

Sora gave her a stink eye. "Whatever. Ha, that's not a way to talk about your own country. You were raised there."

"Yeah, and ridiculed, teased and pretty much treated like garbage. I do you know how many diets I undertook? I bet ya, I've already tried almost all of them-- all except, of course, liposuction. But you know what, when I was seventeen, I told myself--"

Sora rolled her eyes as she recited Soo Jin's motto with her. "-- this , I will stuff all the donuts in mouth and let the haters hate. I know, I know Jin. How many times have I heard that from you huh?"

"So many times. And I don't know why you're still so conscious of how you look."

"Oh, duh. My whole career revolves around keeping fit and healthy. We each got our own thing Jin." She laughed as she got her baggage out of the aircraft carrier. "Makes me wonder how we became besties in the first place."

"Opposites attract, so they say," Soo Jin shrugged. "Although, I did remember, back in middle school when you looked absolutely horrendous--"

"Hush Jin. Don't. Just don't. Those were... those were the dark days. You shall not bring back the dark days. You are my friend. Do not let the eternal darkness consume you, for you do not live like those creatures, those dark elves, whose leader is Malekith and who seeks to destroy Asgard and all the Nine Realms so that--"

"Okay Sora, enough with the Thor stuff. It's making my head hurt. I swear, I didn't understand that movie, like, at all. Sheesh, I wish they had Korean subs or something."

Sora looked at her best friend, baffled by the fact that she indirectly said that she didn't like one of the all-time geek movies. "I shall return the dark world and its forces," she whispered to herself, her voice low and in perfect English.

About an hour later, they stepped outside the airport, breathing in the fresh Spring air and taking in the vibrant colours that surrounded them. It was quite different from the sight that they were used to in America. Almost as soon as they stepped out, all eyes were on them.

"There we go again," Soo Jin sighed. "They are in awe of my awesomeness, and rightly so. They shall stare and they shall hate." She said her last sentence in English with her thick Korean accent.

"Right, my friend," Sora nodded, replying in English before flitting back to Korean. "So, what should we do? You didn't happen to let anyone know of our arrival right?"

"I told my parents that we'd be here today. I'd have to call them up so that we can pick the keys up from their work," she waved it away.

Sora chuckled. "We're just... gonna pick the keys up? Like, no hi, hello, what's goin on, eyo momma and papa?"

Soo Jin just ignored her and looked through her phone, pretending to be distracted.

"I see. Your relationship has moved as much as a rock moves on flat surface."

"Yeah well, we can't do anything about that. Now, let's go," Soo Jin grabbed her arm and took her away whilst dragging her baggage with her other hand.

"Hey, where are we going?" She stumbled forward, surprised by the sudden direction change.

"Remember my last job?"

"That awesome cupcake store?"

Soo Jin paused to look at her face, a smile forming on her lips. "We gonna git some cupcakes. And we gonna eat some."

"Aww yuss."

---

It took a while for them to get to the shop as they walked through the city, looking at the new shops and walking down the familiar path.

Soo Jin sighed as she looked at the street not too far from her old workplace. "See?" she pointed out to Sora. "That's where I met Jungkookie." She smiled subconsciously. "He almost died." She giggled as she dragged Sora further.

"I've never seen someone so happy about someone almost dying," Sora whispered to herself. She felt herself halt to a stop as Soo Jin halted at the doors.

Soo Jin smiled widely as she stepped in. It wasn't just the bell that rang when someone opened the doors that caught the other customers' attention. It was also the girl that was... pretty hard to miss.

"I bet the workers will recognize me," Soo Jin chuckled.

Sora laughed as well as she looked at her friend. "What makes you think that?"

Soo Jin looked at her, as if she could not see the obvious. "Do you see this?" She gestured towards her body. "How could they forget this? Come, let's go order."

They stood at the counter, patiently waiting for a waiter to attend to them. Sora took this time to observe her best friend. Having been in the beauty industry for more than two years now, she knew what the definition of outer beauty was, and she knew that if only Soo Jin did lose the extra kilos, she could be a rocker. But this was Soo Jin they were talking about, and knowing her and her stubborness, she, of course, would be unwilling to do that. But really, if they didn't take regard of her outer appearance and get to know who the person is, Soo Jin is one hell of a girl. A true beauty.

"So... Jin. Have you..." Sora started, hesitating a bit before continuing. "Have you ever considered your love life? Like, at all?"

Soo Jin paused at that. "Don't be silly Sora. You know that no one takes interest in me. Like... like this." She chuckled, yet being her best friend, she could sense the bitterness and sadness that she held in her voice.

"Jin!" Sora raised her voice, using her well-used nickname. "You can't just sit there and wait for someone to chase after you! You can't just wait for your Prince Charming to come by and sweep you off your feet, you have to do the chasing. You can't wait forever!"

"Ugh, Sora," the said girl started, looking down and trying to get even the slightest glance of her feet, but to no avail. "I will give you two reasons. 1.) Prince Charming won't be sweeping me off my feet because he won't be able to. And 2.) I can't chase after someone. I can't run. Literally." She smiled a thanks to the person that attended them. She sniffed the hot chocolate and smiled, satisfied. "Now come, let's go and sit in my facourite spot."

Sora chuckled and shook her head, following her stubborn- friend.

Now, as we have pretty much highlighted so far, my mother's issue has always been her weight. And in this instance, it was an issue. With her width, it would be pretty much impossible for her not to hit something.

"Oh ," she cursed as she felt herself losing her balance.

 

 

And...

   ... down...

        ... her hot chocolate went.

 

And into the lap of a, unfortunately, hot-headed .

"I am so sorry. So sorry," Soo Jin apologized.

The man stood up menacingly, towering over her. "Watch where you're ing going. You have to pay for this, ."

Soo Jin was taken aback. "Did you just call me a ? You jerk- ."

"You got a problem with it?"

"Oh wow. No, no I don't have a problem with random strangers calling me a at all, because I mean, I could always just... eat them. Right?"

"Are you challenging me, you fat- chick?"

"What if I am?"

"Let's do this then."

"Right here, right now, twig boy you can--"

"Soo Jin noona?" A boy suddenly interrupted them.

"Shut up, Jungkook, I have to deal with this crook--" Soo Jin halted. "Wait... Jungkoook?"


 

 

A/N: AAAANND HOLY THIS IS HELLA LONG.

I never intended for it to be this long. But hey, I haven't updated in more than twenty days, so I'm pretty sure this would be more than enough to compensate.

And anways, I'm sorrynotsorry about it all ahahahaha.

Soz guise, I can't thank you through your wall, because I just have so many things to do. Stop making lame excuses Nicole.
Sooooo, shoutout goes to all my new subbies :D

fuglyfrog23

eira98

TamJong

rose_hunter

You guys are ah-mazing.

Okey. Make sure to leave your feedback and check out my other story as well as my newly opened review shop ^_^ THANKIES SO MUCH.