Before the Coma: Part 1

Coma

Current date: November 30th

"Morning set up in Monday, waking up a sleeping beauty

Song Min Rae was her name. Living in luxury was her style. Education was never to be worried. Everything was at ease. She could get anything, but as the philosopher told, you can buy a bed, but you can't buy sleep itself. It came in her love. Unexpected, her first love was right on her door, waiting with a book on his hand.

She tied her shoelaces and ran to her front door. The bell didn't ring, no one knocked. Yet she knew he was there. 

Bang YongGuk was his name. He was a total opposite of her. He couldn't get what she wanted, though she never wanted anything from him. Everything was a burden. He could only work in studies and get a scholarship. Until it came in his love. Unexpected, his first love was right inside the luxurious mansion, running with her hair flying everywhere.

He turned when he heard her steps. He closed his book and placed it inside his bag. He stood silently, waiting for her to come and open the door.

"Ya! YongGuk-ah! Stop reading the book when you are picking me up to school!" YongGuk craved a smile on his face, not wanting to answer her request. When she finally reached the door and opened it, that time he whispered her. "I'll start doing it when you start studying diligently."

She was speechless for a second. Then she smirked evilly.

"I can't study diligently, or else I'll beat your rank at school." YongGuk instantly laughed.

"You can try. Though you know for yourself that it will never work."

She laughed too. Together, they walked to the station, and went directly to school. Arriving at school, he parted goodbye with her and walked to his classroom. She waved back, and after he turned his back, her smile disappeared. Completely disappeared as she left for her own classroom.

 

Passed a few hours, it was time for lunch break. Min Rae was so excited, and so she skipped happily on her way to his class. At that time, some girls and boys were whispering, gossiping the girl who was skipping in the hall.

"Have you heard? Min Rae already had a boyfriend!"

"Duh, of course everyone knew it! Though it was quite unexpected."

"It's REALLY unexpected! How could a pretty rich girl like her be with someone like him?"

"He's smart. Maybe he used some sly trick to get her heart..."

Min Rae heard it. She heard it clearly. But she didn't really care about what other say. She was used to it. Her best friend told her the same too; he's not worthy of your time.

She tried to forget about it as she arrived to his classroom. She opened the door.

"Excuse me?"

No one heard her. It's not that no one was there, but everyone was just too busy with their own stuff to care about her. He was busy too. She could see him at the corner of the room, surrounded by unknown classmates, all with a book on their hand. Some were guys, some were girls. She smiled, slowly shaking her head.

"Ya! Bang YongGuk!" He turned, knowing it was her. But then he turned back to what he was doing. She was a bit impatient, so she decided to come get him herself.

"YongGuk-ah..," YongGuk looked back at her.

"What? Can you please wait? I'm a bit busy here." 

She stuffed . She was about to give a respond when someone interrupted.

"How do you answer this question? I still don't get it. I tried to use this formula but I still can't find the answer."

YongGuk viewed at him (the one who asked), while waving his fingers at her as if he's asking her to leave first. She couldn't do anything when her boyfriend is busy helping others out.

She was actually disappointed, but back again cheerful. She waited at the park, and it didn't take a long time for him to show his face.

"Ya! How dare you ask me to leave just now!" She shouted to him with an angry tone, and a smiling face. He finally smiled.

"Sorry, the question kept rolling. I even left them to come here." He walked slowly and sat next to her. She was a bit embarrassed because she was actually joking, but he reacted seriously. She didn't know that he would really leave them just to accompany her. She then tried to change the topic.

"Um.., by the way, do you have any plans this afternoon?"

"Not really. Besides studying, I guess."

"Forget about studying, let's go somewhere together!" 

"And where is that 'somewhere'?" He asked with a confused face.

"I don't know. Maybe to a mall or something?" 

In the midst of thinking, he immediately got something.

"I have an idea."

"What?" She asked, excited.

"I'll tell you later. Let's just meet at the train station."

 

Finally, the day passed, night came. Around 8 pm, as they promised, YongGuk waited in front of the train station. He wore a casual clothes with a warm jacket, and his hair was tidily arranged. After standing for about 30 minutes, he took out his glasses. He wore it and started reading a book. 

Suddenly, Min Rae popped out from behind.

"Ya! YongGuk-ah!" He was a bit stunned, closing his book as a reaction. But then back at being cool.

"Took you some time."

"Well, I had to take care some things..., nevermind. So, where are we going?" She asked with a wide smile. This time she wore a warm casual yet stylish dress. She let down her hair, not changing how she looked normally. 

"You'll know it soon after. Let's just get in the tr main." He replied to her. She nodded and so they walked in.

They crossed the road and arrived at the train station, to be exact, the subway. YongGuk walked to the counter and bought a pair of ticket, destined to Gwanghwamun Station. Realizing the destination, she pursed her eyes (she was clearly confused). Then suddenly she got a glimpse of idea, ah! Maybe we're going to Gyeongbokgung Palace! Because it was one of the main tourist attraction there. She didn't hesitate, she knew, or rather thought, YongGuk was a type of person to bring his girlfriend there. (Author’s Note: GyeongBokGung Palace is one of Seoul’s tourist attraction. It is a royal palace, one of the historic features in Seoul. But then again, actually I doubt GyeongBokGung Palace were still open when she thought of it. So let's just say that she didn't realize the details). 

She hummed songs as they departed from that station. YongGuk didn't mind, he kept leading the way. In the train, they sat next to each other. (yes it was really crowded there, but luckily they sat immediately as soon as someone left). 

"YongGuk-ah, I think I know where we're going." She said to him with a proud tone. YongGuk stared for a while, then chuckled. He took off his glasses and lightly answered her.

"Let's just hope what you thought was right." She laughed, still with a proud tone. She felt that they're going to study history that day. (she expected something more 'wow', but she was still satisfied enough with his decision).

In the midst of joking around, an elderly swept pass. Alarmed by that, YongGuk reached that eldery's hand. YongGuk stood up immediately and smiled to that grandma

"I'm sorry, you can sit here. We're arriving soon." That elderly gazed upward, she made a smile and thanked him. YongGuk helped that elderly sit down and then he stood in front of Min Rae, who was actually sitting next to him. Min Rae shook her head looking what he did.

"I thought Gwanghwamun Station was still-"

"Well I guess that's 10 minutes again? Enough time for me to study." He cut her.

"No, I don't think it's-" 

"Oh, then I guess I was wrong. We should arrive in 7 minutes." Again, he tried to cut her line.

She wasn't pissed off. Instead, she giggled and nagged him. She kept asking, "Are you tired?" and "Let's exchange place." but he never replied with a 'yes'. Like what he said, he opened a book and started reading. At the end, she got tired after talking for 10 minutes (yes, he lied when he said they will arrive in 10 minutes). 

At that time, YongGuk switched his view to her. He looked silently, without her noticing. For him, it was as if the train won't stop. The train was time, and time couldn't rule their place. He didn't want anything to change, nor even anything to pass. 

He reached out his hand and touched her eyes. He closed it, he didn't give her time to react. He was the one reacting. He bowed down slowly and gave a kiss on her lips.

That very second, he can only feel time rushing backwards. No one was there to judge, no one was there to complain. It was just both of them, inside a place piled with unknown strangers. But they were in another space. Another space on their minds. Those people around them were fading away. Even time stared them, speechless. The lights went off, only the one shining on them.

But it was only on their minds. The not-immortal space disappeared. He backed off from her. It lasted for only a second or two. Though it was quite enough.

"That... was unexpected." She said, not knowing what she should really say. She bowed her head, her fingers were scratching her other hand. Her face grew peach-red. He was embarrassed too. He can only move his eyes somewhere else.

"I guess so." He said back to her, with a long silence before. 

They kept silence, embarrassed, yet no hard feelings. They arrived at Gwanghwamun Station, went off the train, and again, walked side by side. Holding hands.

They went out through one of the exit, but she realized they weren’t going to Gyeongbokgung Palace.

 

“Are you sure this is the right exit?” She asked in midst of confusion. He stopped walking, and chuckled without even looking back at her.

 

“Are you sure you know where we’re going?” He finally turned to her. Her face went red again when their eyes met. He was too.

 

“N-no. Just guessing…” She said with a low voice. He shook his head, smiling.

 

After a few hundred metres of walk, they went out to the surface. Arriving there, she saw buildings everywhere. Where would they go in a place like this?

 

“Are we going to the mall?” He shook his head and smiled. He intended to .

"Keep guessing."

"Department store?"

"Not that big."

"Coffee shop?" 

"I don't drink coffee." 

"That's a lie. You always drink caffein everytime you stay up late to study." He chuckled listening to her reactions.

"Okay, okay. Now let's just either continue walking or continue guessing."

"I choose both."

"Well, up to you." After his words, she tried to guess again and again, but she didn't seem to get it right. She was a bit flustered with it, not realizing they were actually going around.

They were back to one of the subway exit. There, she could see the sign saying: "Cheonggyecheon Stream". 

"I know!! We're going to Cheonggyecheon Stream!" She screamed happily. He smiled wide and answered.

"I guess it's no longer a surprise."

She was really enthusiastic, she even tried to run away. (Of course, YongGuk held her hand so they didn't seperate)

Then, they finally arrived at Cheonggyecheon Stream. It was one of Seoul's beautiful attraction. There's this beautiful night view and of course many couples or new-weds hang out here. She didn't realize that fact, but he did. He couldn't help but check things he never checked before. But maybe it was worth it. She was really satisfied, and happy.

"This is awesome! It's much better than malls or maybe Gyeongbokgung Palace!" She said loudly. YongGuk was shocked with her sudden statement. He instantly lifted his hand in front , telling her to lower her voice. She finally came back to her sense.

"Sorry. This is just..., too good. I really thought we'd go to-" 

"Gyeongbokgung Palace." He continued her sentence. She was a bit ashamed by it.

"Well, never mind. Let's quickly go down!" (Author's note: to go to the stream, we must go down a few steps from the bridge/beside the bridge/just find the stairs).

She went down the stairs quickly without realizing that she released his hand (that was holding hers). He followed behind her without much words to say. Only smiles and chuckles.

"YongGuk-ah! Let's cross the stream!" She said while pointing to the stepping stones that were used as a bridge (to go to the other side of the stream). He nodded, agreeing her. She waited for him to get down and reach her, then finally jumped off to the stones.

She easily jumped across, with him slowly jumping behind her. As soon as they arrived, she skipped around happily. YongGuk only clapped along with her happiness rant.

After a while, she settled down. They walked to find some place to seat. At the end, they decided to seat on the stairs, right at the riverbanks. There, they could see the gorgeous nightview. She was amazed.

"Did you plan this?" She asked, still staring at the sky.

"You could say so. I hoped you like it."

"Are you kidding me? I really love it!! It's cold and windy, but there's this relaxing sensation too."

"Good to hear." He said. "Then, do you mind to stay longer? There's something I want to show you." 

When he said that, she didn't get the gasp of 'longer'. 

"Sure." She said lightly. She didn't wear a watch, or checked at the handphone to know that it was already 10 pm. 

Both of them kept talking and talking while gazing at the stars. Time kept moving together with the light. Darkness covered the sky above them. It's already pass 11, closing to 12. A time where the sky got black, and diamonds started shining.

"Is that..., stars?" She squint her eyes to see better, though it had no effect. 

"Yeah. But look again. What is bigger than the stars that shine in the sky?" He approached her ears just to whisper it. The new moon.

She widened her eyes and mouth. She glanced around to see it clearly. 
And there it was.
A round, black, yet beautiful moon.

"How did you-" Now, her lines were cut by the amazing view. YongGuk didn't say anything. He only stared at her, then back to the sky. That was the time where he thought no one but her. Especially, what she said often; "Are you happy now?"

She was always fond of what others are feeling. She's very considerate. She placed attention to others first. That's why she found him. 

He was always fond of how he felt. He's very perserving. He placed studies first. All his life was filled with things to hope, yet not hope itself. He was known as a cold, poor, and smart student. Everybody knows he wasn't evil. But that doesn't mean he's an angel. Angels smile. He doesn't.

 

"I hope we can be here forever." She said, still not budging to move her view from the moon.

"I think we can't. We have to get home before your parents, and mine(s), or they'll get mad at us." He lifted his hand and looked at his watch. Then he showed it to Min Rae. Min Rae's expression went down, sad.

After a few seconds of silent, Min Rae forced a smile. She faced him and asked with an excited tone, yet rather desperate.

"But..., we will be together forever, right?" 

YongGuk was surprised by her serious question. Moreover she put it out in a smiling face. 

Took time for him to get the grasp of the question. But he answered with a definite tone. And a smile.

"Even more than that." 

Min Rae was indeed relieved. Satisfied as well. 

 

Their stories continued to the end of that day, or an early beginning of the next day to be exact. YongGuk took Min Rae back to her luxury house. As where their continuation? It crashed, or rather, clashed. 

Before we end this happy part, this is what happened, before she entered her house.

YongGuk decided to walk her home, since it was too dark. She agreed at first, but as they were walking a bit far from the house, MinRae pulled out her hand and stopped YongGuk. Her hand held his body from going forward any longer. 

"YongGuk-ah, I think here enough. You don't have to me any longer." She bowed down her face. He was totally shocked. It was far from expected.

"Wha-, Min Rae, are you sure you'll-"

"Yes, I'm fine. I just..., feel like walking alone." She didn't look back at him. "Goodbye."

YongGuk was speechless, looking at how she left him just like that. Left after saying 'goodbye', without letting him reply. 

He was rather disappointed, for a reason. Then he tried to forget it and think positive. He went away.

They left each others back, going the opposite direction. Yet no one turned. No one smiled. No one waved another goodbye.

He was back to his old delapidated resident, and she was back to her big luxurious mansion.

 

[to be continued in next chapter]