Chapter 3

Soul-Mate

Chapter 3

 

I stared him as my heart beat once more. He came...He didn't stood me up like before....My heart was jumpy as I smiled. “So YOU WILL MARRY ME THEN?” Kris happily shouted after seeing my smile.

 

Everyone in the coffee shop turned to look and even Luhan. I froze from Kris's proposal as I stared into the eyes of Luhan....He looked like he was speechless...Everyone else started shouting telling me to say 'Yes' but my eyes glued on to Luhan as he just stood there still in drenched rain.

 

Kris was still smiling waiting for me to say yes but realize I wasn't looking at him. He turned around but found no one. I quickly got up and apologized to Kris and told him that something came up and I had to go....Before Kris could say anything, I already left the shop.

 

I looked every where for Luhan but he ran out too fast for me to catch up to him. I called out Luhan's name but he was no where to be found. I ran to nearby places where he might have been at but he wasn't there. I stood crying while the rain falls on me. My uniform soaked wet as my mascara smeared from crying. “YAH! Why did you come out?” A voice from behind yelled.

 

I turned around and found him standing before me. Without hesitation, I quickly ran to hug him. I hugged him so tight and didn't want to let him go. He tried to push me off but I held him even tighter.

He was stronger than me from before, so he succeed in pushing me off again. “What are you doing?” He asked.

“I'M SORRY! REALLY! I DIDN'T MEAN TO YELL AT YOU FROM THAT ONE NIGHT! I DIDN'T MEAN TO CALL YOU A JERK AND I DIDN'T MEAN TO SAY YOU WILL NEVER GET A GIRL FRIEND! I—I SAID ALL OF THAT BECAUSE YOU'RE MY ONLY BEST FRIEND AND I HAVE FALLEN FOR YOU! PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME AGAIN! LUHAN OPPA...I BEG YOU...YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO CARES ABOUT ME AND KNOW MORE OF ME THAN MYSELF.....” I cried louder after letting out all those words that have been kept inside of me....Luhan face expression became speechless. I grasped him one more time into my arms but this time he really didn't refuse...His arms slightly wrapped around me as well...

 

After the rain stopped, Luhan walked me home. I felt happy because it felt like we went back to how we use to be, walking home everyday.

“So what do you mean by calling me a jerk and saying I will never get a girlfriend?” he asked though he really don't know who I was and I wasn't aware of that as well.

“What do you mean? I called you a jerk because you stood me up that day, remember? And...the never get a girlfriend, was just an anger that slipped out of my mouth...I...” I told him... “You what...” Luhan asked waiting for me to answer him...

 

“I was jealous...when that girl picked up your phone....I really thought that you had a girlfriend and that's why you've been distancing yourself from me...Luhan oppa...I really really like you...” I shyly confessed to him. “Not as a friend anymore....I missed the way how we use to hang out...how we always have fun on the weekend with both our family...oh...and how's your sister? Did she ever comeback?” I asked him.

 

“How did you know I have a sister?” Luhan asked confusedly. “Luhan oppa, quit playing with me...”

I told him. He just quietly smile and nodded. “My house is just by the corner...oh and Luhan oppa...where did you move to? How come you didn't tell me that you move to another place?” I cluelessly asked him.

 

“Move? I haven't moved anywhere...I've been living at that house since birth...” Luhan explained.

“That house across from mines?” I asked while pointing at that creepy house.

Luhan followed but shook his head. “That's not my house...I don't live in this neighborhood...” He said.

 

His word spooked me up...This has gotten really weird...That house use to be where Luhan lived most of his life since his birth and my birth....

“You should go home now....it's getting late...Hurry or you might catch a cold...” Luhan urged me as he started backing away back down to the alley.

I stared at him while he waves goodbye...I sighed and walked my way up to my house. As soon as I got to my door, I turned around once again and saw his shadow walking down the alley....His back...How much I missed him piggy back me whenever my feet gets hurt from wearing heels after going out with my friends in middle school.

 

I glanced at the dark house across from me. The house that Luhan and I shared great memories, had suddenly became a blur to both of us. I opened the gate to my house but realized a car was parked next to it...Then I thought about Kris.... I quickly ran inside the house and found Kris with my parents, who were setting up the table.

“You're home! Just in time for dinner...” My mom said as she happily hurried over to me....She glanced at me and realized my clothes was wet... “Sweetie, where did you go? Why are you all wet? Hurry up stairs and change before you get a cold” My mom urged me as she followed behind.

 

After changing and coming downstairs, My dad and Kris was waiting at the table.

I came around and sat in front of Kris. He smiled but I didn't smile back. I felt guilty for leaving him behind without coming back for an explanation. “What's wrong with this atmosphere? Did you two fight?” my dad asked while teasing at the same time.

 

“We didn't, Mr. Lee...Just some misunderstanding...” Kris spoke out as he continued to smile at me. “What kind of misunderstanding was it? ah...also Kris, isn't your mom waiting for you to get married? Your mom really liked our daughter a lot so I'm pretty sure she's really waiting anxiously....” My mom asked.

 

“I did propose to her....but I guess, her mind was somewhere else at that time...” Kris said.

“Don't have to wait for her answer...just get married after she graduates....no need to wait for the right time...If you wait too long, both of you might have a change of feeling....'cause you know, people do change overtime...” My dad explained.

 

My thoughts flowed back in after my dad said 'People do change over time...' That was what Luhan had told me before we had an argument.

“Honey? Are you okay?Are you burning a fever?” My mom asked as she felt my forehead... I shook my head and glanced at Kris who has been staring at me since I sat down.

 

“Okay...I will marry her after she graduates...” Kris teased as my mom and dad laughed. All I could do is just slightly smile.... I still couldn't forget about Luhan...he has filled my mind up through out the whole dinner time. I wonder where he lives now and how he is doing....How his whole family is doing...Our child hood time kept playing in my mind like a movie as my heart kept pushing for my tears to come out but I held it in.... “Mom...I'm not feeling good so I'm going upstairs first...”

 

“you're not feeling good? Then take some medicines before you go up...” my mom said as she got out of her chair.

 

“um...I'm gonna go now as well...It's getting late and I have to work tomorrow morning...” Kris quickly stood up and grabbed his suit coat. “Already? Okay....Take care now, alright?” My dad ask as he stood up and patted Kris's shoulder. “Sweetie, walk Kris to the door first before going to bed...” My mom urged. “It's okay...She's not feeling good and so she shouldn't go outside...” Kris urged as he quickly walked over to the door.

 

My mom glanced at me and gesture me to go after him. I sighed and climbed back down the stairs. I followed Kris to our gate entrance. He was surprised I followed him. “Yah...why are you out here? What if your sick gets worst? Hurry and go back inside. I'll be fine..eo?” He smiled as he reached for the gate door.

 

“I'm sorry....” I blurted out. He stopped and slowly turned. “What are you sorry for? It's okay..it's understandable...” He said. “I'm really sorry for leaving you like that...” I continued.

He sighed and faced me. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me towards him and gave me a slight peck on the forehead. “Babo....i told you that it's okay...no need to explain...” Kris calmly said. I can tell that in his heart he was heart, but he took it calmly...

“Go and get that beauty rest alright? Don't want you to look old and wrinkly on the day of your graduation...” He said as he backed up to the gate entrance. I smiled at him as he disappeared from the door. I let out a sigh and walked back into the house.

 

A week after on the day of graduation, many of our classmates were shouting and screaming out of loud for excitement as the teacher finally announced the end of the ceremony. Everyone ran outside and gathered to meet their families...Some were taking pictures, some were crying because of feeling joyful while others had already left home. I was alone as I started walking around the big area, looking for him....Don't tell me he didn't graduate....He better graduate...or else, he will get his kick by me...

 

“Looking for me?” a voice came from behind me. My heart gotten excited as I smiled. He finally did graduate....I turned around but my smile quickly disappeared.

 

“What's wrong with that smile? You weren't expecting me?” Kris frowned. I sighed quietly but grinned at him. “Here...this is for you....to match your pretty face...” Kris said as he pulled out a bouquet of flowers from behind. I gradually took it and smiled. “Thank you, Kris oppa....Um..Where's Eomma and Appa?”

 

“AIGOO!!! My daughter finally graduates!! Even when her grades were bad, she still manage to graduate!” My mom shouted from far away as they approached closer and closer. I hid behind the flower dying of embarrassment. Some students were staring at our direction as I continuously tried to run away, but Kris held me from escaping. My mom came and hugged me giving me smooches on my cheeks. I rubbed it off as my cheeks turned red. Perhaps from her red lipstick.

 

“Let's take a picture before leaving to go out to eat...” Kris said as he pulled out the camera.

My mom and dad stood by my side as I pose for the camera...Then something caught my eyes...Far away across from Kris oppa's shoulder, I saw him smiling with his family...His sister was there with him as well. They all looked happy as he had graduated. He still look handsome from before. My heart was beating again as tears almost filled my eyes. 'That's a relief...that he graduated as well...' I thought to myself.

 

I realized he glanced up and saw me staring at him. He raised his hand and waved as he smiled at me. I smiled back and turned to the at the camera.

 

“One, two , three, say KIMCHI!” Kris joked. My mom and dad laughed then repeated after him.

I smiled as I posed with my peace sign.

 

After taking a few pictures, Kris wrapped up the camera and we were getting ready to leave, but I wanted to say a few words to him before leaving. So I told them to go ahead and wait for me at the car.

After seeing them disappear in sight, I scanned the whole place again looking for him. I couldn't find him any more..I guess he must have left already....Feeling disappointed, I frowned and lowered my head down while walking towards the parking lot. Then, someone grabbed my hand. I turned around and my heart started beating fast once again.

 

“You didn't say anything to me yet....” Luhan playfully said. “I was going to but I thought you left,” I explained to him.

 

“Are you busy after this?” He asked. I nodded. “oh..I see...well... I guess today will be the last day we'll see each other...Take care okay?” He continued. Why do I feel sad when he said this...? I felt like we're never going to see each other anymore. Though he act like he don't really remember me, I felt hurt when he says that. Before he could turn around, I blurted out some words, “I'm getting married....soon...”

 

He smiled and glanced at me, “Congrats then...Live happily ever after...” Those words flashed through my mind as I remember him telling me a story he made up about how two best friends fell in love and lived happily ever after. He quietly walked away as he took off his uniform coat...I wanted to run and hug him from behind...That boy that I grew up with, that boy who helped me when I was injured, that boy who would piggy back me every time I fell asleep in the bus, that boy who would stand up for me, that boy who's not afraid to be comfortable around me, was my best friend...My best friend that I had come to truly love and cherish the most, is now walking away from me as if this is really the last time we will see each other. My tears rolled down as I watched him walk away.

 

“Sweetie! Are you coming yet?” My mom called from behind. I quickly wiped away my tears and ran over to my mom.

I turned back once again at the school where our memories will be kept closed forever. Luhan oppa and I...will be forever strangers from now on....going our on our own path and living our own life.

 

Take care, Luhan oppa...