The Drawing

My Beautiful Woman

"You really don't have to walk with me," Dasom said shyly, her hands clasped behind her back as she walked on. "I wouldn't want to bother you."

I chuckled and shook my head lightly, a friendly smile tugging at my lips. "You're not bothering me. And I made the decision to walk you. It's all on me," I replied. "Besides, it's dangerous for a pretty, young lady as yourself to be walking alone with a child on the streets. The city isn't as safe as it used to be."

She paused for a second, tilting her head at me curiously. "Pretty?"

"Ah, I-" I stammered slightly, realizing I forgot to think before I spoke. "I mean, y-yeah. All girls are pretty, you know?" I sighed internally. Nice save, bozo. 

Dasom chuckled, nodding her head. "Ne, I guess that is true. Every woman is beautiful in their own way."

I smiled slightly, finding myself unable to take my eyes off of her. We arrived at the school quicker than I thought we would, entering the middle school building to find June by herself with her teacher again. Dasom called out to her daughter, and I watched with a light heart as the little girl ran towards her mother, squealing and giggling happily. How could so much happiness be packed into such a small package? We all bid the teacher good bye before I walked with Dasom toward her home.

"Did you have fun at school today?" Dasom asked, her arms wrapped around the child comfortably as she carried her.

"Ne, Mama! I had so much fun today. We drew, we sang, and the teacher even got us all snacks! It was great," June said excitedly, her smile growing bigger by the minute.

"I'm glad. You're growing up too fast for Mama," Dasom pouted. "How am I ever going to keep up with you?"

June giggled, her hands squishing her mother's cheeks together. "I have to grow up fast so you won't have to worry about me anymore, Mama."

I raised a brow, glancing up at the two as I strayed further back, walking a short distance behind the two as I didn't want to intrude. Dasom's shoulders slumped, and I knew she must've grown sad from what June said. I'm sure no mother would want to hear their child wanting to grow up so they'd never have to worry about them again, because that's never true. A mother will never be able to stop worrying.

"June-ah, you don't have to do that," Dasom replied, giving the child a soft squeeze. "I love you, and I want you stay with me for as long as you can."

June giggled and pecked her mother's cheek before looking over Dasom's shoulder, a curious expression growing on her face. "Mama! Is that the man from yesterday?" She asked, a smile growing on her face. "Mama! Is that your boyfriend?"

Dasom paused, eyes growing wide as she stared at June. "N-No! Of course not, June. H-He's just a f-friend. I mean, not like a boy friend, but like- I just. June!" 

I laughed louder than I should have as I drew closer to the two, placing a hand on June's head and ruffling her hair. "Hello again, June," I greeted, smiling widely. "Remember me? Your friend? Well, it turns out, I'm your mom's friend as well! Cool, huh?" I watched as June nodded viogorously, making me chuckle. 

"Ah, let's hurry home," Dasom said softly. "It's getting quite late."

By the time we reached her home, the sun was barely peeking over the horizon. Waiting for her to enter her apartment, I bowed slightly. "I should be on my way. I'm already late for dinner at home."

"I'm sorry," Dasom apologized almost immediately. "I didn't mean to keep you for so long."

"It's quite all right. It's only dinner. If I'm late, I could always cook and eat by myself," I replied, chuckling slightly. "I find myself doing that more often nowadays..."

Dasom gasped softly, causing me to look at her curiously. She cleared , looking off to the side before looking back at me. "Mr. Lee, would you like to join us for dinner? It's the least I could do after you walked us home."

My expression softened. "If I am not intruding, I would love to join you and June for dinner."

"Mama, I'm hungry. When will dinner be ready?" June called from inside the home. Dasom and I looked at each other, letting out a soft chuckle before I entered the small home. Looking around, I found the home to have only bedroom with conencted with a small kitchen. There was a small foldable table and chairs sitting in the middle of the room. I stared quietly in awe. It was so much different from how I lived, but I should have taken it  into consideration; A single mother could only do so much.

Dasom must have seen the expression on my face as she spoke up, "I'm sorry. It's not much. I try to do as much as I can for June and I."

I shook my head, patting her shoulder. "No, no, that's not what I was thinking. I was thinking how much of a spoiled child I am," I replied, rubbing the back of my neck. "My home is much different from this."

Dasom looked down at her feet, a bit sad as she asked, "Is it bigger? More luxurious?"

I crouched down to look at her face, a smile on my face. "It's cold and empty," I answered, receiving a surprised expression  from her. Straightening up, I shrugged, walking into the one room apartment. "It's only my father and I at home, and my father's always away on business. My mother lives in America, so the house is pretty much empty all of the time. The one time slot I ever really get to see my father is during dinner."

"Ah, I see... Isn't it lonely?"

I simply shrugged, tugging on the strap of my shoulder bag and readjusting it on my shoulder. "I've grown used to it. Many times I don't even bother to come home for dinner. I like to come back to school after everyone leaves so I can practice on my guitar."

"Well, that's no good at all!" Dasom replied a bit too loudly. I jumped slightly. It was my first time hearing Dasom's voice louder than it usually was. She looked at me sternly, though her eyes looked gentle. "Mr. Lee, I'm sorry if I am sounding rude, but that is not the correct way to live! A child needs their parents' and family's love no matter what age. Promise me you will at least try to make it home for dinner with your father? I'm sure he must be quite lonely as well." She held her pinky out to me. 

I stared at it for a while, contemplating the idea. Sighing, I gave in and wrapped my pinky around hers, lips pursed. "I promise."

She smiled brightly. "Good! And if you ever miss dinner or your father is still away, you are always welcome to come have dinner with us." I looked at her and nodded, replying with a resounding "okay." 

"Mama!" June calledo ut as she ran out of the bathroom, her hair dripping wet and her towel dangling off her body. I quirked a brow and glanced over, immediately gasping and turning away as I covered my eyes. Dasom gasped loudly and ran over to June, covering her up and drying her hair as she quietly scolded her.

"June-ah, we have a guest. You cannot come out after taking a bath like this. Next time Mr. Lee is here, please change in the bathroom," Dasom scolded softly. June nodded and grabbed the clothes laid out on the bed for her before running back into the bathroom. "I'm sorry about that," Dasom apologized.

I chuckled and shook my head. "It's all right. She's a spritely one, isn't she?"

Dasom nodded, "Ne... I should get cooking now. Feel free and make yourself at home, okay?" 

I held up an "ok" sign and nodded. "Okay!" While she prepped for dinner, I walked around the room, looking at all the drawings taped on the wall. Each and every one of them were labeled with June's name. There were pictures of animals, trees, and so on. I smiled at the drawings. Everything about this mother and daughter duo radiated innocence, something that never failed to make me smile. One drawing was taped to the fridge on its own. I walked over to it curiously, observing it closely. It was a drawing of June, her mother, and another unknown figure. I heard the sound of small feet pitter-pattering towards me before stopping by me. Looking down, I saw June smiling back at me. "Who's this, June?" I asked, pointing to the figure. 

June smiled widely. "Papa!" She said confidently. "He's not here now, but Mama said he'll be here someday. Mama said he went on a long trip, and I'll see him someday, but it'll be a long time until then."

My heart sank at her words. So she does have a father... I cleared my throat and forced a smile, finding it hard to smile for some reason. "Is that so? Well, I hope he comes home soon then." June nodded and scurried over to help her mother set the table before tugging on my sleeve, dragging me over to eat dinner. We chattered quietly, making small talk and laughing now and then. My heart lightened a bit. I felt like I was in a real home for once. If only every day could be like this. I'd like that... having dinner with an actual family every day. If only...

"Thank you for the meal," I whispered to Dasom as I sat at the edge of the bed. June was snuggled underneath the covers, her arms cling to her mother's arm as Dasom pet her head soothingly. 

"Not a problem," she replied, her eyes not leaving the sleeping child. "You're welcome to come eat with us any day, but please do try to spend dinner time with your father?"

I winked and held my pinky out. "I promised. Checking the time, I pursed my lips. It was nearly ten already. "I should get going. Father is probably wondering where I am."

Before I could stand up, she pinched my jacket sleeve between her fingers, a worried look on her face. "Oh, before you go, Byunghun, I feel the need to clear something up with you."

"What is it?"

"You're my friend, a new friend, but a friend nonetheless. And kind of the only one I have... So I feel like I should be honest with you," she said, heaving in a deep breath. "June is not actually my daughter."

I blinked several times, trying to to process her words in my head. "She's... not your daughter?"

She shook her head. "You see, it goes like this. One summer day while I was walking home from cram school, I passed by a pile of trash near the riverside. The soft sound of a baby crying caught my attention. I was deeply confused, there was no one in sight. Drawing closer to the sound, I found myself by the trash pile. Underneath all the filth, there was a black luggage bag. I was horrified as I ped it to find a baby; June," Dasom began to talk faster, her words sounding choked back. I could tell she was getting emotional, and I comfortingly patted her on her shoulder, giving her a reassuring look. She calmed herself down, continuing the story slowly. "I felt so upset and sorry for the baby I broke down and cried my heart out right there. I decided to take her home after that. No child should ever be thrown away like trash as June was. No one knows this story except for me, not even June."

"What about your parents? How come they don't help you care for June?"

She paused for a second, "Because they're gone... Both of my parents are gone." She pursed her lips, gnawing on her bottom lip. "They left behind a small inheritance for me, which I put in the bank, but as time goes on, I find myself pulling out more and more money to take care of June."

"How have you made it this far?"

Dasom smiled. "Because I love June. I do everything I can to make sure June gets what she needs. On the weekends, June goes to a daycare while I work. During the week days, I spend my free time tailoring clothing for others. And if that's not enough, I have to tap into the money in the bank, but we've been all right so far."

"I see," I pursed my lips, letting a silence pass over us before I spoke up again. "Dasom, you must be tired, right?"

"Well, yes, but I don't--"

"Let me help you," I said, crouching by her bed side so we met eye to eye. "You've done so much for June, now let me help you. Caring so much for another must put quite a strain on oneself, hm?"

She looked into my eyes, a soft smile forming on her lips. She leaned in and placed a quick yet soft kiss on my forehead, catching me by surprise. "Thank you, Byunghun. You're a very sweet person. I'm indebt to you."

I gulped, hoping the shade of my visage wasn't too bright red. I cleared my throat and nodded. "No problem. Ah, I should get going. It's already quite late, and I'm sure you need your rest. Good night, Dasom."

"Good night, Byunghun," she said, standing up and leading me to the door. Saying one last good bye, I threw on my bag over my shoulder and headed home, whispering a hushed 'yes' under my breath.