The Whispers

My Beautiful Woman

She was still a young woman, working hard to support herself and her child. It would have all been easier if it were not for the fact that she was still a student. She was quiet one, shy, and often kept to herself, never really wanting to make contact with any of her classmates. She always seemed antsy in class, catching my attention. I always wondered about her. What is her real story? Up and down the halls of her school and neighboring schools around it, they whisper about her, talking about how she's a single mother at such a young age. Who was the father? Where are her parents? They say her parents disowned her after finding out she had a child, but I believe otherwise.

"Mr. Lee," the ruler smacked down on my desk hard as the teacher passed by, instantly drawing my gaze away from the window. "Eyes to the front of the class, not across to the girls' school." He scolded me, continuing on with his book in one hand and his almighty ruler in the other. The poor fools who dared to fall asleep in his class received stinging slaps on their heads. "You boys and your puberty," he muttered under his breath. 

I sighed softly, glancing once more through the windows of the building next door. There she was, Kim Dasom, scratching away in her notebook. I couldn't understand. She radiated innocence. Was she really a teenage mother? Shaking my head lightly, I tried to focus on my schoolwork. As soon as the last bell rung, I made my way out of the building to see her sprinting by as she does everyday. She is always in a rush, heading off somewhere else as soon as school ends. No time for hellos or good byes. Curious enough, I decided maybe it's time I found out where she was off to. I followed her in pursuit, every fleet step she took, I followed in her lead. Stopping at a corner, I waited for her to enter a small building before peeking. The sign above the double doors of the empty building read, "Seoul School for Children." An elementary school? I asked myself. Ah, right... her daughter. I soon found myself entranced, drawing closer and closer to the building, wanting to see if she really did indeed have a child. I jumped slightly as the doors opened, Dasom walking out hand in hand with a little girl. Dasom smiled widely, none of which I've ever seen before the few times I've seen it through the window. I may not be a doctor, but I do believe I should have died from the way my heart stopped just then. Dasom looked up, her eyes locking with mine and her smile slowly faded. The little girl hid behind her legs, peeking out from behind her mother's navy blue skirt. 

"C-Can I help you?" Dasom spoke softly, a hand reassuringly placed on her daughter's shoulder. 

I cleared my throat, bowing slightly at her. "Oh, uh, hello," I said awkwardly, finding my eyes wandering down to my feet, glancing up every now and then. "M-my name is Lee Byunghun. I'm a student at Daejin Boys' High School."

She blinked several times, processing the name of the school through her mind. "Daejin... the one next to the Seomun Girls' High School?" I nodded once, slightly embarassed I was caught intruding upon her private life. Looking up, I saw her smile softly. "I'm Kim Dasom, from Seomun. A pleasure meeting you, Byunghun." 

I smiled back, crouching down and holding my hand out to the little girl who recoiled behind her mother further, grabbing fistfuls of her skirt. "And who is this sweet child?" 

Dasom's smile disappeared yet again, perhaps taken back by my question. "M-my daughter, June," she stammered, coaxing the girl to come out and greet me. "Say hello to Mr. Lee, June."

The girl slowly showed her face, staring at me quietly. I smiled and waved at her. "Hello, June. You don't have to call me Mr. Lee," I chuckled. "You can call me chingu. Will you be my friend, June?" I pouted, hoping to appeal to her through childish acts. "I don't have very many friends to play with."

June continued to stare at me before giggling. She pointed at me, tugging on Dasom's skirt. "Mommy! That man is silly. He doesn't act like a man at all!" She laughed. A grin formed on my face as I watched Dasom get flustered. 

"J-June, that's not very nice."

"Nah," I replied, standing up. "Don't worry about it. Kids will be kids."

Dasom pursed her lips and bowed slightly. "We must get going. I have some business I must attend to at home. June, say good bye to Mr. Lee." June smiled widely and waved good bye before skipping away by her mother's side.

"Wait!" I called out to them as they left, making Dasom turn around. I stuffed my hands into my pockets, hand rubbing my next nervously as I looked down. My blonde bangs sweeping over my eyes. "W-Will I get to see you again?" I asked nervously, wanting to know more about the mysterious, young woman. "I-I mean, as... friends?"

There was a long pause and silence that passed between us before I heard a soft chuckle. "Yes," she replied simply before turning her back and walking away with her child. My eyes widened, not in surprise, but due to the growing warmth I felt inside me. I didn't know what it was, but I liked it. I watched as they walked away, their silhouettes disappearing against the sunset. I had a feeling we'd get to know more about each other soon.