Chapter 1

That Winter I Fell For You

Its 4am in the morning. I'm sitting here facing the wide horizons of the sea, all alone. 

Are you wondering why I'm here? I am waiting for an answer, a miracle perhaps. 

I felt the icy winds from the sea breeze tickle my skin, making my hair stand. I rubbed my shoulders with my hands, hoping to get some warmth from the friction. 

I looked down at my watch and 5 more minutes has passed. I tilted my head down, feeling slightly desponded. My heart felt a certain aching, one that I was not quite familiar with but am sure that it's along the lines of a 'heartbreak'. 

I stood up and heaved a heavy sigh. I patted the sand off my pants and got ready to leave. I took every step slowly, leaving my footprints on the sand. I wanted to let 'someone' know I'd been here, that is if she ever came. 

As much as I know it was impossible, a little hope still lingered. Almost similar to that of a child who always dreamed of flying. 

I hopped on the bike that I parked just alongside the road. I closed my eyes and recalled that one time I had her arms around my waist. That time I had childishly drove faster so she'd be afraid, afraid enough to give me that unintended hug. I smiled bitterly, amused at how I was so engrossed in my one sided love. 

I drove on the highway without a destination. Memories spinning inside my head. I teared up thinking about our time together, my mistaking her kindness for something called 'love'. 

----------

1 month ago 

I tapped my leg impatiently as I waited for the girl to arrive. She was my mum's childhood friend's daughter. She has agreed to let her daughter stay with us this winter break. 

"She said 'I had always wanted to see how snow looks like.' How could I possibly reject her". My mum was explaining to me simply as a formality. 

I gritted my teeth, undeniably annoyed just thinking about it. 

I stared down at my watch.

"She's late." I rolled my eyes. 

Just then a girl carrying a yellow luggage caught my attention. She was walking awkwardly, hands full with chocolates, a bear, and a bottle of white wine. Her neck was crooked to catch her passport between her chin and shoulder. 

'I had always wanted to see how snow looks like'. Somehow she fitted the exact image of someone who'd say that. 

I shook my head, rejecting my random thought. 

"It can't be her." 

I held up the card nonetheless, making what's written on it more obvious. 

'Yoona'. The card was even stylized and looked better than all cards the rest of the travel agents were holding. 

"Make sure to make it big and pretty." Mum clasped her hand in excitement. 

I shuddered just thinking about it. The clumsy girl walked out the arrival hall gate and passed me. I secretly heaved a sigh of relief. Thinking how much trouble it'd be to look after someone as clumsy as her. 

I looked at the belt and the people have already dispersed, all finished collecting their luggages. 

"Did I remember the belt number wrongly?" I checked the message my mum sent me again. 

I felt a nudge to my shoulder out of the blue, and the sounds of stuff dropping accompanied it. 

"Ah I'm so sorry." The girl anxiously picked up all the stuff she dropped. 

"No freaking way." I thought to myself. I made a mental note to never make blind guesses again.

After recovering from shock I bent down to help her pick up her stuff. 

"Are you Yoona?" I clarified before I jumped into any conclusion. 

"Yup, my name is Im Yoona, it's nice to meet you." She bowed 90 degrees, dropping the things she had just picked up. 

"Well looks like this is going to be one long winter break." I sighed before helping her pick up her stuff.