Chapter 23

Anonymous Confessions

Kibum's POV

I sighed as I walked outside of the school, feeling infinitely guilty about something that wasn’t even my fault. I took a quick glance back through the glass doors and felt my heart sink at Taemin’s figure. He just looked so… dejected that I couldn’t help but pity him. But, I guess that’s what happens when your best friend suffers heartbreak. Especially if said friend is kind of like a son to you.
 
I took a deep breath and turned away, walking down the front steps of the school. “He’ll be fine,” I muttered quietly as I made my way to my destination. He had to be. Besides, I had my own problems to deal with at the moment.
 
I walked quickly but made sure that it didn’t look like I was in a hurry. After all, I was already a diva; I didn’t need another reason to gain confused stares from people I didn’t know. My legs shook slightly and my heart quickened with every step I took, but I swallowed hard and braced it. 
 
Just before I came into view of the courtyard, I stopped and took a huge breath. I glanced down at my clothes and un-tucked my cardigan from where it had folded over. Even though I could possibly face rejection, I made sure that I was going to look good doing it. I was wearing a pitch black, crop-sleeved cardigan over a patterned white skull shirt, grey bleached denim skinny jeans, and neon high tops. I reached my hands up to fix my ash brown hair, adjusting the studded cuff and patterned wristbands as they slipped down my arms.
 
I shook my head and slapped my cheeks lightly. “I can do this.” I breathed. I repeated those words over and over until I willed my legs to take the few steps into the actual courtyard.
 
“Took you long enough,” A familiar voice said. I jumped as my eyes snapped to the figure whose back was facing me. “I didn’t know how early you’d show, so I’ve been waiting awhile,” he chuckled. My heart stuttered as I heard him. Based on the sound of his voice, he seemed pleased enough, excited even.
 
I opened my mouth to speak, but all of the courage I’d had from the day before had vanished, leaving me more nervous than I had been on my walk over here. I stood silent as I watched him.
 
“You’re not going to speak up?” Jonghyun laughed slightly, slowly pivoting on his feet. “There’s no need to be intimidated by me,” he said as he turned around. All at once, the smile that had been on his face was replaced by a look of shock. “K-Kibum?” he sputtered out.
 
I waved shyly. “Hi Jjong,” I said nervously.
 
The silence that captured the two of us was almost unbearably awkward, but he’d called me out and I wasn’t going to be the one to break it.
 
After a few moments of being dumbstruck, Jonghyun’s expression finally morphed. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t one of happiness, but one of utter disgust.
 
“Leave,” he said, so quietly I barely heard him.
 
My heart which had been pounding with nerves was suddenly pounding with a different emotion; sadness.
 
“What?” I croaked out, my face falling.
 
“I said leave!” Jonghyun barked at me. The look in his eyes was one I couldn’t decipher. 
 
“But I-” I started, but was cut off by his loud voice.
 
“So it’s not enough that you have to be a cheater? Now you want me to join in with your sick game? Don’t be stupid,” he laughed in spite. My body froze with a mixture shock, confusion, and hurt. “Leave now, before I tell everyone what a man you are,” he spat out.
 
My body went rigid for a second at the accusation before it heated up with anger. My arms felt like they were on fire as blood pulsed through my veins.
 
“What?” I asked again, this time the disbelief was infused with rage.
 
He huffed loudly. “What? You don’t believe me? I’ll tell everyone just how much of a you are. I’ll ruin you. So get out of my sight. Now.”
 
Excuse me?” I growled. There was nothing but fire within me as my fingers curled into fists. I had no idea where the hell his accusations were coming from, but if that’s what he thought of me, if that’s why he treated my so coldly before, I didn’t need to know in order to knock some sense into him.
 
He laughed in disbelief. “You’re still not leaving?” He said in disgust.
 
And then I snapped.
 
I walked the few steps it took to reach Jonghyun and lifted my arm. There was hardly any room to process my thoughts before I reeled my arm back and
slapped him as hard as I could across his face. “How dare you talk to me like that, Kim Jonghyun?” I yelled as tears welled up in my eyes. 
 
Instead of staying put, however, Jonghyun lashed out a slap of his own. “I can do whatever the hell I want!” 
 
I slapped him again, this time the tears slid down my face. “I wrote you that stupid letter! I’m the one who said I was in love with you! But I guess I take it all back,” I yelled as I tried not to choke on my sobs.
 
He shrugged nonchalantly as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with my breaking down in front of him. “How the did I let myself fall in love with a bastard like you?” I screamed as I pushed him backwards.
 
He stumbled a little but caught his balance. “Me? I’m the bastard? What about you, huh? Going out with two guys?” He snarled as he pushed me.
 
“What?” I asked in pure confusion.
 
“Oh, don’t act all innocent! Does Taemin even know you’re cheating on him?” He yelled at me.
 
What?” I choked out.
 
He laughed bitterly. “Of course he doesn’t! Why am I even asking that?” he said in exasperation.
 
“Taemin and I aren’t,” I paused to take a shaky breath. “Taemin and I aren’t dating.” I said slowly, wiping the tears that ran down my cheeks.
 
“I bet that’s what you said to Onew too,” Jonghyun huffed.
 
“Onew?” I asked, shaking my head in confusion.
 
“Don’t play dumb! I saw you two yesterday in this very courtyard!”
 
“Yesterday? But I didn’t-” I started in confusion before something in my mind clicked. “Wait. Just what did you see yesterday?”
 
“You and Onew kissing like it was nobody’s business,” he sneered.
 
“But I… That was…” I trailed off as words escaped me.
 
“That’s what I thought. Now, are you going to leave or not?”
 
“I’m not dating anybody!” I finally yelled out the only thing that I could think of to back myself up.
 
“Yeah right,” Jonghyun rolled his eyes impatiently. 
 
“No. I’m serious. I’m not dating anybody.” I said. “What you saw yesterday was a misunderstanding!” Jonghyun started to say something but I cut him off. “I never wanted Onew to find the letter. I didn’t even know it went missing! But he found it and he thought it was meant for him. He led me out after class and confronted me about it. He’s the one who kissed me! He’s the one who took my first kiss! He said it was because I loved him, because the letter said I did. But that letter wasn’t for him!” I blurted out, tears falling down my face again. I knew I was rambling, but I couldn’t help it. Everything I had experienced the day before, which I hadn’t even told Taemin about, just came tumbling out of my mouth. But it seemed to work regardless, because Jonghyun’s mouth clamped shut.
 
“That letter was meant for you. Not Onew, but you. And I swear that whatever you think is going on between me and Taemin isn’t true. Taemin is my best friend, and I hate seeing him get hurt. I don’t know why, but I’m just super protective over him. He’s been in a lot of pain recently, and I’m there for him to get through it. I promise there’s nothing else between us! Just please, please, don’t hate me,” I cried out.
 
It took a moment for Jonghyun to speak, and when he did, it was in sputters. “But… But the hand holding and hugs...”
 
“It’s just skinship,” I shook my head as my sobs died down to hiccups.
 
“You’re telling the truth?” He asked slowly.
 
“Why wouldn’t I be?” I asked as I looked into his eyes for the first time since I broke down. All I saw in his hazel eyes were remorse, regret, apology, and guilt.
 
“I…” he trailed off, looking down in shame. “I’m so sorry,” he said, lifting his eyes to meet mine. “I didn’t know.” I nodded sadly.  “So that letter...” he paused.
 
“That letter was meant for me?” he asked.
 
I nodded again, my face heating up at the action of actually confirming it without screaming.
 
He broke into a small grin, causing my heart to skip a beat. “You… love me?”
 
My face went red as I shook my head. “I didn’t mean-”
 
But I was cut off by a crushing hug. “I’m sorry, Kibum,” Jonghyun muttered softly as he leaned his head on my shoulder. Though I was taller than him and I should’ve been feeling awkward, I leaned my head forward and rested it on his shoulder as well. “I’m so sorry.”
 
After a moment, I pulled away. “Do I get an answer?” I mumbled out shyly. He cocked his head to the side in confusion. “An answer to my letter, pabo!” I huffed, crossing my arms.
 
He sighed. “Well, I was expecting a girl…” he trailed off. My heart dropped. “But you’re better than any girl.” 
 
My eyes widened and my heart thumped in my chest. “Huh?”
 
Jonghyun lowered his eyes, apparently finding it too hard to look at my face. “I…I’ve been watching you since middle school,” he admitted. Though that probably should’ve sounded creepy, I couldn’t fight the stutters my heart gave out or the small smile that was appearing on my face. “But I knew how bad it would be if it got out that the school’s player was gay, so I couldn’t do anything about it.”
 
Had I just heard that correctly? Please tell me I did.
 
“I,” he started, slowly looking me in the eyes again. “I like you, Kibum.” 
 
Almost instantly, the small smile on my face changed to an ear-splitting grin. “You like me?” I asked hopefully.
 
“Well, yeah,” he said shyly, smiling back at me.
 
We stared at each other for a good moment before Jonghyun started laughing. “What?” I asked. 
 
“Nothing,” he grinned at me before he held out his hand. I tilted my head in question. “Give me your hand,” he said. Hesitantly, I reached out my hand. The moment our hands touched, Jonghyun interlaced his fingers with mine. I blushed as he beamed at me.
 
We began walking back towards the front of the school at an extremely slow pace, enjoying each other’s company. “Jjong?” I called. He hummed in response. “Thanks,” I said softly. “I know you misunderstood, and that much hurt me, but thanks for accepting my feelings.”
 
“You’re welcome,” he sighed. “Key,” he breathed out.
 
“Huh?” I asked in confusion.
 
“It’s your nickname. You call me Jjong, so I’ll call you Key,” he explained.
 
I couldn’t fight the smile that wouldn’t leave my face.
 
~•~
 
“Taemin!” I called out to the red head after school.
 
He turned his head toward me and sighed. “Are you okay?” I asked. After I had heard that he was sick, I couldn’t stop worrying about him. Not to mention that he hadn’t gone to the cafeteria for lunch, so I hadn’t seen him all day.
 
“I will be,” he said, his voice dripping with exhaustion.
 
“What do you mean?” I asked.
 
“I’m going to get over him, Umma. I have to.”
 
“Minho?” 
 
“Neh. I won’t cry over him anymore.” 
 
“But, don’t you love him?” I questioned in disbelief. With how long Taemin’s liked Minho, I didn’t think he’d ever stop liking him.
 
“It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t love me,” he sighed.
 
“Minnie,” I called before wrapping my arms around him. “Just… don’t regret this, okay?” I said. I didn’t want him to regret never confessing his love outright in the future.
 
“I won’t. I promise,” he replied.
 
Anneyong^^
 
Longer chapter is long >__>
 
Anyways, there's the JongKey confrontation for you ^^ You guys, you have NO idea how long I've been planning and waiting to write this chapter. This was, tbh, so much fun to write haha. And honestly, it probably shouldn't have been, but it was. :3 I hope you guys love it :D ALSO, you have NO idea how hard it was to hold off calling Kibum as Key until now >__< I kept typing Key and then I'd have to go back and change it, all because I wanted it to be his nickname when they got together.
 
Oh, and yes, I realize that they JongKey didn't kiss. That was on purpose. I want to write fluff for their first kiss~ 
 
And just so ya know, the ending of this chapter does NOT mean 2min doesn't get together.
 
Btw, just wondering (because I'm totally fine with either) but I feel the need to take a poll for this. (cuz it's easier to see results rather than looking back at comments)
 
 
Because if not, the next chapter will be... idk haha. His school day I guess, and a Minho confrontation instead. But I just had to ask just because the confrontation scene was pretty long and idk if you people want to read it over again.
 
Anyways, something totally not related to this fic...
 
I just watched You're Beautiful. OMG. I'm about 2 years late but whatever. But seriously, it's AMAZING TT^TT I cried on the last episode >__< And I have developed a deep love for Jang Geun Suk ('s face) <3
 
AND. Have any of you guys watched The Love of Siam? I watched it yesterday. Legit, it's probably one of my two favorite movies of all time. (The other is Jay Chou's "Secret") It's BEYOND words. I swear, if you watch it and don't feel any emotion at all, you are HEARTLESS. GO WATCH IT <3 <3 (Btw, for those of you who did, I KNOW you squealed when this happened. Don't even try to deny it.)
 
My God why are my A/Ns longer than half of my chapters??? -___-
 
Until next time~
 
xoxo