The beginning

Run in Circles

 

Yutaka was only thirteen years old on that rainy day when he was taken from his home. Neither of his parents protested, just watched sadly as two men took him away, no matter how much he screamed and kicked. When the door of his home closed, he heard his mother sob.

He was taken far away from the little fishing village that his family had always lived in. In a carriage led by horses, through the salty tears in his chocolate eyes he saw the blurry scenery change from sea to forest, from forest to farms, from farms to deserted meadows and then everything went black as he fell asleep.

Three days and nights he cried, begged the men to answer his questions, but nothing came up until they reached a huge building, something that Yutaka had only heard of. It was a castle, a massive castle that Yutaka couldn't help but gasp at.

"Where am I?" he asked in his voice that was sore from cries.

"This is where you will live", said the other man and continued: "You will serve, eat and sleep in this castle. Nothing more is needed, expected, or allowed."

"I don't want to", Yutaka whispered in verge of crying again.

"You have no other choice, nor did your parents have. Get used to it."

Yutaka was taken into the castle, but not through the main doors. There was a smaller passageway for servants that was just around the corner. When they reached a room, a very plain bedroom, one of the men explained: "You'll be a servant here for the rest of your life. You wake up at five every morning, go to sleep at eleven at the earliest and do everything you are told to. From now on, your name is Kai and you are to be a partner of Miyavi, who will instruct you and work with you until you are ready to work on your own."

A third man appeared somewhere from the shadows of the bedroom. He wasn't actually a man yet, he looked just a few years older than Kai. He had raven-black hair, reaching to his shoulders in slight curves.

The two men left the boys alone to the room, closing the door behind.

Yutaka, or now been renamed as Kai, immediately ran back to the door and started banging it, screaming and begging to be let out.

"You're waking everybody up!" the raven hissed and pulled Kai away from the door, tackling him to the ground. Kai continued crying against the floor, but didn't struggle. He felt a hand his hair and the older boy's body relaxing a bit on top of him.

"Just forget everything you once were... It's easier that way", the boy muttered.

"I- I wanna go home", Kai sobbed.

"This is your home now." The boy climbed off Kai and let the brunette sit up.

"I'm Miyavi", the raven said, smiling softly.

"I'm Yutaka", Kai muttered.

"I'm afraid you're Kai. Your past name has no use here anymore", Miyavi said and ruffled Kai's hair a bit. The latter felt tears rising into his eyes again and threw himself at Miyavi, starting to cry on him.

The next day both of them had a so-called day off so that Miyavi could introduce Kai to the life of a servant.

"Us servants are ranked to three different classes: High servants have the most power, and you need to do everything they tell you to do. They're the ones who serve our masters, too. You, most likely, won't see our masters in years. Then there is the middle-class. That includes cooks, maids, gardeners and such. We belong to the lowest class."

"What does the lowest class do?" Kai asked quietly, a bit scared.

"Basically we just do the things that the two higher classes don't", Miyavi answered.

"Who are the masters?" Kai asked curiously.

"We have five masters. The one to respect the most is called Gackt, who is luckily mostly out of the castle. Then there are his four sons, followers. The oldest one, Aoi, is the one to inherit everything when Gackt dies. The second oldest one is called Reita. He's a bit dangerous, so you better watch out if you enter areas he could be in. Then there is Uruha, who is mostly locked up in his room on his free time. The youngest, Ruki, spends all of his time in the library, so if you're cleaning dust off the books and see a midget in expensive clothes, it's him. If you ever see any of them, you must know that they are to be honored. Bow, don't look into their eyes and don't say anything unless you have to."

Then Miyavi started a quick tour on the parts of the castle that Kai would be working in, and at the same time explained how everything worked. When they came into a long hallway, Miyavi took him to where was a row of portraits and showed the paintings of Aoi, Reita, Uruha and Ruki.

Aoi had a black hair as long as Miyavi's, but it was straight and better taken care of. He had a rather high look on his face, making it clear he was royalty.

Reita looked somewhat mysterious. He was wearing a white band across his nose and his eyes were looking down on anyone lower than him.

Uruha was who Kai was the most interested in. He had attractive looks and he looked very calm - or he was just spacing out. His eyes were a bit gentle, but power and highness was clear. There was something else too, but Kai couldn't make out what it was. But whatever it was, it attracted him.

Ruki had the shortest hair after Reita and he was scowling like there was a puzzle he couldn't figure out. He seemed very intelligent, like a child genius.

"How old are they?" Kai asked, having his eyes still on Uruha.

"Aoi is 22, Reita and Uruha 20 and Ruki 19", Miyavi replied bluntly.

For the rest of the day Miyavi taught Kai all the basics, told him how things should be done and they even got plenty of work done. In the end of the day, in late evening, they collapsed on their shared bed and Kai felt like he would fall asleep any moment. Unfortunately the moment he closed his eyes he heard some ringing right next to him.

"Aw, ..." Miyavi muttered. There was a row of bells on the wall next to them, and one of the bells was shaking furiously, impatiently. "It's one of the high servants, he wants something... Can you go?"

"I- I don't know--" Kai stuttered, but Miyavi interrupted him and said: "I showed you where the high servants' rooms are. Go to the door that has Tomo written on it and ask what he wants."

"Okay", Kai mumbled and rose from the bed, not really wanting to, but not having any other choice. Miyavi had worked hard today, it was his time to do something.

Apparently all the high servant needed was someone to find his socks while he wrote some important paper, and Kai quickly found the socks so he was free to leave.

Although the way to the high servant's room had been easy to find, somehow it became very different when Kai exited the room and he got lost in mere minutes. After some time of wandering around, the hallways and doors became unfamiliar and he started panicking.

"Someone will find me", he told himself, but wasn't very convinced by his own words until he heard a deep voice behind him saying: "Well, the fact that nearly everyone's asleep makes it a bit unlikely, but here I am, so I suppose you're right."

Kai shrieked and nearly fell as he turned around too quickly to see a tall honey-blonde gazing at him a bit curiously.

"Are you a new servant? I haven't seen you before", the blonde said and stepped closer to take a better look at Kai. The latter's mind was trying to progress as he was sure he'd seen the blonde somewhere before, but couldn't figure out where.

"Are you going to answer or what?" the taller male said, raising his eyebrow and folding his arms. Then, out of blue, it hit Kai. This young man was Uruha, one of the people he was supposed to show ultimate respect towards. Way too quickly, Kai tried to bow but ended up flying straight into Uruha's arms.

"Well, aren't you clumsy..." Uruha chuckled, holding Kai up. Blushing deeply, Kai tried to say something, but no words would pass his lips. He didn't know if it was because of Uruha's status or what, but something about him made Kai's heart beat faster than ever.

"Mind telling me your name now?" Uruha smiled and placed his fingers under Kai's chin, tilting him so that he could clearly see his eyes.

"I'm Yu- I mean, Kai", the brunette blurted.

"I see. Were you lost?" Uruha asked in a soft voice and gazed at Kai with gentle eyes.

"Yes." Kai's voice cracked for a bit, making his face heat up more.

"Hm. I don't know where your room is, and I doubt you know either... What am I to do with you?" Uruha muttered. He loosened his hold a bit, allowing Kai to straighten up and stand on his own feet, and then took his hands completely off the boy.

"Do you mind staying in my room for the night?" Uruha suddenly asked.

"W- What? I possibly can't, I- I- I'm a servant!" Kai stuttered and backed away a little. Uruha let out a light chuckle and said: "It's okay. I don't mind."

Kai wasn't sure why Uruha did this for him, and he was a bit scared because of it, but he followed the blonde like a puppy into Uruha's room. It was a very large room with plenty of space for the older male. There was a desk, a couple of wide bookshelves, a king-sized bed and four different doors, including the one they'd stepped through.

"You don't have any nightwear, do you?" Uruha said. Kai shook his head, fiddling with the hem of his shirt. Uruha opened one of the four doors, which apparently led to a dressing room, and took out a shirt that fit him perfectly, but for Kai was way over-sized. Uruha threw the shirt to Kai and told him to put it on.

"What's wrong?" he asked when he realized Kai didn't move an inch, just stared at Uruha, squeezing the shirt in his small hands. Uruha smiled softly and walked to the brunette. "It's okay if you want to use the dressing room."

"O- Okay", Kai muttered and hurried to the dressing room. There he quickly undressed himself and put on Uruha's shirt. The fabric felt very soft and smooth against his skin, and he loved it. He looked around a bit to see how pretty all of Uruha's clothes were, and how many colors were surrounding him. There was black, purple, white, silver, gold, grey, red, brown...

There was a black leather vest that really caught his attention. It looked very expensive and it had silver chains hanging from it. The leather was smooth and the chains jingled a bit as Kai touched the surface of the vest.

What he liked even more than the vest was a pure white shirt with very thin, light-weight purple fabric attached to it. Kai imagined now good it would look on Uruha, and blushed a bit as he noted to himself how attractive the blonde would be.

He also noticed a scarf hanging from somewhere that seemed like it was made out of the same material as the purple fabric, but this was black. It was so thin Kai could see through it, and it felt very soft against his skin as he touched it. He liked the feel of it so much he took it in his hands, and carefully pressed it against his face. It smelled good, like Uruha. Fresh, natural, like a lake or a river in someplace that had no humans ruining its nature.

Kai jumped a bit as he heard the door open behind him. For a moment both him and Uruha stayed silent, but then the blonde smiled and asked: "Do you want it? I think it would suit you."

"I- I'm so sorry!" Kai squealed.

"That's okay. You can keep it", Uruha answered. Kai turned his gaze back to the scarf and tightened his hold on it. It seemed very expensive and high-quality... Kai couldn't have it, could he?

"Come on. Let's go to sleep, you need it", Uruha said, took Kai's hand and led him back to the bedroom.

"Can I ask for a favor?" Uruha asked and took something from his night-stand.

"Of course! I'll do anything!" Kai replied. Why would Uruha even ask such a question from a servant? Kai had to do everything Uruha wanted him to, there's no point asking.

"Could you braid and brush my hair? It's really annoying when it gets messy during the night", Uruha said and gave Kai a brush and a lace to tie his hair with.

"Are you really letting someone as low as me touch your hair?" Kai asked, his eyes wide.

"I'm a human, you're a human. What's the point?" Uruha pointed out.

"U- Um... I don't know..." Kai muttered, ashamed of himself and his cheeks pink. Smiling, Uruha sat on the bed and patted the space behind him, inviting Kai to sit there. Kai sat there, but since he was so much smaller than Uruha, he had to stretch himself a lot in order to brush and braid Uruha's hair.

Uruha's hair was even softer than it looked like, and Kai wanted to touch it more than he already did, but didn't dare to ask anything and continued brushing normally.

"How old are you, Kai?" Uruha asked when Kai started braiding the hair, just like his mother had taught him.

"I'm thirteen", Kai answered and tied the hair with the black lace.

"So young, huh..." Uruha muttered. He yawned, collapsed on the bed and said: "Well, off to sleep then."

Kai wouldn't move a bit. He didn't know what to do at all! Was he supposed to just lay by Uruha's side? Sleep on the floor? He didn't have to wonder about this for long before Uruha pulled him close, then pulling the covers over both of them.

When was the last time Kai had laid next to someone like this? It was a dark stormy night not too many weeks ago when he had crawled into his parents' bed, right?

And when was the last time he felt someone's arm around him, warming him? If he remembered correctly, it was only a week ago when he was crying because he was hungry and there was no food, when his mother lovingly took him into an embrace and told him it's all going to be okay.

He missed his parents.

He missed home.

He missed warmth and love.

All of sudden, Kai started crying, causing Uruha startle greatly.

"I- I'm sorry! Was it something I did?" Uruha apologized quickly, but Kai didn't hear it over his sobs and hiccups. He pressed close to Uruha and cried on his shoulder, and gripped on his shirt that was starting to soak now.

Not knowing what else to do, Uruha wrapped his arms tightly around Kai and his hair soothingly while he muttered reassuring words into his ear. Kai cried more, knowing he could never hear his mother say those kinds of words to him anymore, and he didn't calm down in hours. And when he finally did, his eyes were red and puffy, his cheek wet and his nose runny.

"What's wrong?" Uruha asked in a soft voice.

"I- I wanna go home... I mi- miss my p- parents", Kai sobbed, shaking in Uruha's arms.

"Shh... This is your home now... It's all going to be okay", Uruha muttered. Kai couldn't hear more as he was too tired from crying so much and passed out.

_____________________________

I don't know how I like the first chapter, but here you go anyway. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm not supposed to write another story and blah blah blah, but I promise, I'll update my other ones soon :)

And the little poem/song in the foreword is by me (quite obvious, considering how much it )