An Interlude of Basketball

School Love Affair

 

 

 

By some strange string of luck, Jimin and Taehyung had managed to get the PE break before lunch with Jungkook's class.  Usually the trio spent the 45 minute break on one of the multiple basketball courts available in the school yard.  Sometimes Jimin and Taehyung would have to intimidate first years that were quicker than them, but for the most part they were always able to grab the court farthest from where the third year's played.  Jimin had played basketball in middle school but had swtiched to focus more on his studies in his third year before high school.  His dad had thought it was a pity since Jimin had always been athletic but his mother was more than happy with the decision.  

Taehyung, on the other hand, could barely walk without falling let alone play sports.

Jimin watched Taehyung dribble the ball before stretching his long body in a lazy attempt at a lay-up.  Jungkook laughed as the ball hit the board and fell back on Taehyung's head as he tried to duck out of the way.  Jimin ran after the stray ball and tossed it to Jungkook who gracefully caught it before jumping and shooting a perfect 3-pointer.  The school basketball hoops lacked nets but Taehyung always provided the "swish" sound effects. 

"And Jungkook makes a perfect shot.  Yet again." Jimin mumnbled, ignoring the first year grinning at him in pride.

"Don't be salty, hyung," Jungkook winked.  "Not all of us can be born multi-talented."

Taehyung's lip curled as he snorted in disbelief.  "The amount of conceit in that one sentence could make Kanye West cry."  

Jimin let out a bark of laughter as Jungkook tossed the ball at Taehyung's head with a satisfying smack. Taehyung hissed as he rubbed the back on his head with both hands, hair becoming unruly and wild.

"Hey, watch it!  A concussion is not on my to-do list."  Taehyung pointed at Jungkook who just shrugged his hands innocently, turning to watch Jimin attempt at a slam dunk.  Jimin completely missed and had to let go of the ball to brace himself against the pole so he wouldn't face plant.

"Hyung," Jungkook yelled as he jogged to stop the ball from rolling into a first year's court.  "When are you going to realize you're short?"

"Oh my god, Jungkook," Taehyung said monotonously from where he was checking his phone for messages. "You can't just ask someone when they'll realize they're short."

Jimin scowled at them both and ducked out of the way of Taehyung's hand as the taller boy tried to pat his head with an Aw, you're cute.  

The trio sat down to warm themselves up in the mid day sunlight, turning to look behind them as loud cheers came from the third year's court.  There was a large group of students packed around what appeared to be two teams playing in quick succession.  There were a couple of girls who suddenly called out "Suga!" but other than that the noise was indistinct from where they sat.  Jungkook squinted and tilted his head in that direction before turning to look at Jimin.

"I think that guy Hoseok I was telling you about is playing if you want to go take a look?"  Jimin just shook his head and leaned over to look at what Taehyung was doing on his phone.  "Okay, I'll be back!" He got up and jogged towards the crowd with their basketball.

"Oh wait, scroll back up." Jimin leaned on Taehyung's shoulder, staring down intently as his friend scrolled back up his social media feed.  "There!  You added Sohee?"  

Taehyung rolled his eyes at the accusatory glare.  Using his hand to push Jimin away by the face he stood up to stretch.  "Get out of here with your judgement, Park Jimin, you added her too."

"I so did not!" Jimin blushed.

"Pleaseeeee, you had the biggest crush on her when you first transferred here."

"But I unadded her when I discovered what a heartless she was!"  

"I just like to look at her tests!" Taehyung defended himself with a laugh.  "She always posts her scores - plus her friend Minah is cute.  For being so evil she sure has attractive friends."

"You're so greasy." Jimin commented as Taehyung winked at him.  A sudden shout of "Hey!" behind them had the duo turn around to look at five second years from a different class glaring at them.  

"If you don't have a ball, you don't get the court.  Move, shorty."  The short brunette with the snap back, a cocky kid that if Jimin remembered correctly was named Jackson, smirked as his friends laughed behind him.

Jimin opened his mouth to retort with something similar to calling the kettle black, but was beat to the punch by Taehyung taking long strides over to the group with a strange smile.

"Sorry, we forgot the rules."  He smiled amiably, his eyes closed.  "No ball, no court right?"

Jackson and his friends, Jaebum, Jinyong, and the foreign kid Mark looked at Taehyung suspiciously as they nodded.  "Oh, perfect!"

Taehyung suddenly snatched their ball from Jaebum's hands and punted it across the courtyard with a few startled shouts from girls who weren't expecting the object to bounce over their heads.  Taehyung held his hand up to shield his eyes from the sun before turning back to the group with a self satisfied smile.  "Well, no ball, no court, right boys?"

He started to walk away when Jackson finally snapped out of his shock and grabbed the back of Taehyung's shirt.  "Get back here you little shi---"

"Wang, unhand him!"  The gym teacher, Taecyeon, yelled lazily from behind them, Jimin freezing from where he had begun to move to his friend's defense.  "No fighting in the courtyard!"

Jackson swore as he quickly released Taehyung, pushing him forward into Jimin's arms.  The group ran after the stray ball with glares back at the two boys who waited until Taecyeon had moved away from them before turnign back to the court.  Jimin just groaned as Taehyung hummed to himself.  "Do you always have to provoke people?  Is it like some sort of you get off on?"  Jimin groaned, grabbing his jacket and Jungkook's from the ground before following the taller boy towards the crowd of students.  

"What?  He was being an ." Taehyung shrugged.

"It's not like we were using the court."

"Doesn't matter - there's a better way of asking for someone to move.  Plus he called you short - only Jungkook and I can do that."

Jimin groaned again.  "And there goes any thought I had about you being a decent person.  One of these day's you're going to get your kicked."

Taehyung threw his arm around the shorter boy's shoulders.  "Good thing I have you to save me.  What with your height, they'll never see you coming!"

Jimin threw the arm off his shoulder, pointing at Taehyung with an accusatory glare.  "You're becoming just as bad as Jungkook!"

"What about me?" Jungkook looked innocently at Jimin, appearing suddenly before them with a smiling boy who Jimin could only assume was Hoseok.  "Guys, this is Hoseok, Hoseok this is Taehyung and the short one is Jimin."

"Nice to meet you!" Hoseok said brightly, smiling brightly, his eyes sparkling.  Oh my god, he's too bright Jimin thought to himself.  He shook the hand in front of him and waited for Taehyung to do the same but for once his friend was acting weirder than normal.  He had a completely blank expression on his face but he was staring at Hoseok intently.  Hoseok, for his part, managed to conceal the awkwardness of the situation with an even brighter still smile and a small, "Okay, then.  Let's go get some lunch - I'm starving."

Taehyung turned robotically towards the cafeteria with Hoseok still trying to talk to him without any luck.  Jungkook was suddenly at Jimin's side, and whispered into his ear, "Did you break Taehyung?"

"I didn't do anything."  Jimin shrugged.  Taehyung's foot caught on the curb infront of them and he faceplanted into the cement with a suddenly frantic Hoseok trying to help him up.  Without a snarky comment or even an embarrassed grin that would normally accompany a moment of clumsy Taehyung, the tall boy simply stood up and brushed off his clothes before heading up the stairs like nothing was wrong leaving a concerned Hoseok running to catch up with him.

This was going to be an interesting lunch.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, I am an awful updater, I know this.  But in my defense multiple things have happened: I graduated college, I moved to China, my laptop decided to self sacrafice itself which resulted in me losing everything, etc.  But I'm here now!!!  And here is a brand spanking new chapter!  It's a little short but I figured anything was better than nothing!  I really enjoy depicting the friendship between the maknae line so I hope you don't mind the semi-filler chapter.  This is just until I start to work on the actual third chapter.Thanks for your patience!!!

xoxo

Caryan

PS: This is not beta-ed, sorry for any mistakes!  I wrote it fairly quickly because I wanted to update today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~