Of Winter Wonderlands and Skulls

School Love Affair

Jimin groaned and angrily ran his hands through his hair, tugging painfully at the ends in an attempt to coax an answer to his problem set from his roots. There were only a couple of students left at this hour since it was almost 9pm so he wasn't too worried about making any noise. 

In the front of the room the teaching assistant, Minseok, was leaning back on his chair with both feet on the desk.  Every now and then he would startle awake and stare at the students before falling back asleep.  Jimin sneered at the sleeping figure before pulling out his textbook to try and find the section the homework was from.

He could hear the steady thump of music behind him accompanied by a strange humming noise. It was coming from his friend Taehyung who often waited for him so they could walk to the bus stop together.  The other handful of students in the room varied from a girl on the student council to a handful of kids on a sports team who were trying to study for a makeup exam so they could play their next game.

“Jimin,” An annoyingly familiar voice called from the classrooms entrance, drawing attention from the students. Jimin felt his eye twitch as he glared at the first year standing by the door with a smirk on his face. Sohee, the girl on the student council, noticeably rolled her eyes before putting her headphones back in as Jimin frowned at the boy slowly entering the room with a cocky strut. 

“Jimin-hyung, Jungkook.” Jimin tried to sound nonchalant but the hint of irritation was noticeable and Jungkook's smirk widened. “Respect your elders.”

“Sorry, hyung,” Jungkook didn't sound sorry at all. “It's so easy to forget what with your condition and all.”

“What condition, Jungkook?” Jimin was trying hard to not to look up at the approaching boy, focusing instead on the textbook in front of him. He had an exam the next day and Jungkook was well aware that math was his weakest subject.

Reaching his destination, the first year leaned forward with both arms on his desk and gave Jimin a mocking look of concern. He reached out and tenderly patted the elder's hair.

“Dwarfism, hyung, and a serious case of it.” With that Jungkook pinched his cheek painfully and fled the room, knocking a few desks out of the way.  The teaching assistant on duty for the night jolted awake at the sounds of the flying furniture.  Sohee jumped out of her desk to avoid being hit as the other boys began laughing. 

Somewhere behind him Jimin heard Taehyung roaring with laughter as he launched out of his desk, ignoring the yells from Minseok, and followed the younger boy into the hallway.

Today was the day Jungkook would finally die by his hands, he decided. The first year had grown up in Jimin's apartment complex and had been a sweet kid, coming to hang out whenever he had finished school, but recently he had entered a growth spurt and became an insufferable .

Jungkook took a quick right and fled up the nearest staircase leading to the third year's wing, casting a mocking glance over his shoulder at the second year on his tail.

“What's wrong, hyung, your legs too short to keep up?”

“Yah! Jung Jungkook! Today I'll show you how much of a difference 2,000 bowls of rice are when I'm kicking your !” Jimin snarled as he followed the younger, taking the stairs two at time to keep up.

Jimin had never been on the third year's floor before – generally avoiding the upperclassman in an attempt to stay out of any hazing they might do. The third years this year were particularly notorious for targeting underclassmen and Jimin would rather make it through his second year without his face becoming intimately acquainted with the toilets. He hated this school enough as it was.

Jimin had gotten the flu just before entrance exams to nicer private schools and had managed to just barely miss the acceptance mark. He was stuck going to Seoul Normal High School rather than the Academy which meant horrible school materials, lack luster extracurricular options, and being subjected to dealing with students who were less likely to study books as they were to study how much they could get away with before someone broke down crying.

The sound of sneakers squeaking against linoleum floors echoed through the eerily empty hallways, but Jimin wasn't too surprised – most third years went home after the last class. He'd often watched packs of them walk away, lighting up a cigarette the moment they were beyond the gates. Most of the teachers had given up on them and did little to stop them.  It was no secret that most students that went here had little to know ambition for higher education.

Turning left Jimin came to a slow stop, panting slightly as he noticed that Jungkook was no longer in sight. There was a sudden shout of 'hyung!' and laughter that echoed through the hallways but Jimin couldn't figure out where it was coming from. He looked at the numerous classrooms and came to the conclusion that Jungkook had to be hiding inside one.  Each room had a front and back exit leading into the hallway which made cornering Jungkook a lot harder but Jimin was nothing if not determined.

Slowly sliding the nearest classroom door open, he hit the light switch and looked around.  He almost had to laugh at how hard his heart was pounding just from the anticipation of the younger jumping out at him.  He was crouching to look underneath the teacher’s desk when he heard sudden footsteps in the hall echoing behind him.  Quickly jumping to his feet, Jungkook was already out of sight by the time he turned.  A curtain was shaking by the window closest to the back door and Jimin realized that’s where Jungkook had been hiding before he’d entered. 

Groaning in frustration, Jimin went to turn off the lights before something by the blackboard caught his eye.  The seniors hadn’t done their after school cleaning which meant that the erasers were practically white from all the chalk.  Grabbing two for good measure and smiling as he squeezed them he rushed out into the hall again with a new purpose. 

He searched the rest of the classrooms in that hallway for a few minutes but there was no sign of the younger boy.  Jogging to the hallway that was half windows to the outside and half classrooms he noticed one room still had its lights on.  Approaching the windows that allowed students to peer into the classrooms, Jimin remained hunched over so that there was no chance Jungkook could see him coming. 

Peeking inside, the corners of his lips curled into a smirk at the figure sitting against the window sill.  Jungkook was barely even hiding behind the curtain, probably too confident that Jimin wouldn’t think to look in a room with lights.  Jimin punched the air in happiness and let out a silent “yes!” before making sure Jungkook hadn’t heard him.  As quickly as he could crouched below the windows and made his way to the backdoor so that he was Jungkook’s back.  His grip tightened on the erasers in his hand, practically shaking in excitement.

As Jimin approached his unsuspecting victim he noticed Jungkook playing with his phone and the telltale wire of headphones leading upwards.  Jimin wanted to snort at how arrogant the boy was and barely noticed the skull ring that was on the younger boy’s pointer finger and huh – Jungkook didn’t wear any jewelry.  But none of that mattered the moment Jimin ripped the curtains back and threw the first eraser in Jungkook’s face, a surge of satisfaction at the overwhelming amount of chalk dust exploding into the air. 

Immediately he began laughing as Jungkook started cough, hacking sounds filling the classroom as the younger boy wheezed.  With a satisfied smirk, Jimin figured he’d be a nice hyung and not use the second one when he realized something.  Something important.

That wasn’t Jungkook.

The strangers’s face was completely covered in chalk - eyes shut painfully; mouth open in disgust trying to spit out the chalk that was quickly turning into paste in his mouth.  His ears that had headphones in them were covered with triple piercings that resembled horns.  His uniform wasn’t neat like Jungkook’s had been, but open at the color with a band t-shirt peeking out, dress shirt untucked from the pants.  The insignia on the left chest was missing its usual nametag but the red color said everything – Jimin had just run into his first third year and from the looks of it, this third year was about to kill him. 

“What.  The.  Actual.  ,” The third year’s voice was shockingly low, reverberating through Jimin’s body with incredible force.  Jimin’s stomach dropped as the senior violently shook his head to rid his hair of chalk, fingers rubbing at his eyes, and practically launched himself off the window’s ledge.  Though the boy was only a few centimeters taller than himself, Jimin recognized a fighter’s stance when he saw one.

In all honestly, Jimin wanted to laugh.  Maybe from the sudden anxiety spreading through his body like a wild fire, or from fear, or maybe even from the sheer amount of chalk dust in the air making the room look less like a future crime scene and more like a winter wonderland.  As the angered boy whipped his head up to look at him, eyes tearing up from the dust, Jimin made a split second decision for survival.

The second eraser had even more chalk than the first, exploding into the air between the two boys with an unexpectedly violent puff.  This time the senior had had his mouth closed and avoided a second unfortunate experience of having chalk in his mouth, but unfortunately his eyes had been in the direct line of fire.  This time is was Jimin throwing desks out of the ways as a loud “Are you ing kidding me” erupted behind him.  Adrenaline pumping through his veins, Jimin didn’t even try to listen for footsteps following him.  He made three quick turns and headed back down the same staircase he had followed Jungkook up.

Throwing the door to his homeroom open, the huge bang caused the entire room to jump and the windows to shake.  Minseok raised to his feet quickly, Jimin’s name barreling off his tongue, but Jimin wasn’t paying attention.  He was heading towards where Taehyung sat with his usual blank stare and Jungkook beside him looking at him with a worried expression.

Jimin couldn’t even bring himself to look at Jungkook as he was practically in tears when he grabbed Taehyung’s shoulders, shaking his friend violently.

“Taehyung, I made a mistake.” Jimin could hear the panic in his voice.  “Oh my GOD!  Taehyung I made a huge mistake.”

Taehyung grabbed Jimin’s wrist and tugged his hands off his shoulders while looking at Jimin with slightly scared eyes.

“What did you do Park Jimin?”

Jimin sat down on the floor angrily with his face hidden in his hands as he mumbled his answer.  Taehyung rolled his eyes.

“Yah!  Your hands already know what happened – by the way why are you covered in chalk?  Actually never mind,” Taehyung shook his head.  “Tell me what happened.”

“Chalk?” Jimin suddenly questioned, pulling back to look at his hands that were covered in white dust.  Looking down he noticed his entire uniform had a small layer and moved so frantically to brush it all off that Taehyung and Jungkook both fell out of their chairs.  “Oh my god – get it off!  I have to get it off. Why isn’t it coming off?”

“Jimin-“Jungkook raised a hand slowly towards his friend, his eyes terrified.  Jimin narrowed his eyes immediately and slapped the younger’s hand away.

“This is all your fault, you little .” He snarled, giving up and taking his jacket off as quickly as he could.  “If you hadn’t had me chasing you all over the third floor I wouldn’t have run into him.”

“Him who?” Taehyung asked from the floor.

“A third year!”  Jimin yelled, hands on his face.  “I ing threw erasers full of chalk at a third year because I thought he was you!”

Jungkook stared at the finger pointing at him appologetically.  “Sorry, hyung.”

Jimin glared at him, mumbling something similar to oh so now you call me hyung while Jungkook and Taehyung tried to figure out what exactly was going on. 

“Who was it?” Taehyung asked.

“I don’t know.”  Jimin stared at his friend worriedly, thinking back to the missing name tag.  “He was basically my height?  A little taller?  Had a bunch of piercings and a skull ring?”

Taehyung’s face scrunched as he tried to think of any senior’s he’d seen like that. 

“I don’t know – that could describe anyone.” Taehyung finally offered.  “I mean if he had chalk in his eyes he probably didn’t even get a good look at your face, hyung.”

Jimin let the words sink in before he slowly started to nod.  “Yeah, yeah you could be right.”

“For all we know he’ll never figure it out anyways,” Jungkook offered, standing behind Jimin to rub his shoulders in a comforting manner.  “He could even just be a normal student and not even someone to worry about.”

“Yeah,” Jimin nodded again in agreement, shrugging off the younger’s hands and walking slowly over to his desk by the window.  His heart was calming down and he didn’t feel as hysterical as before as his friends words kicked in, but there was a lingering trail of doubt in his head.  As Jungkook and Taehyung began packing up, bickering back and forth about some anime they were both watching, Jimin let out an exhausted sigh and looked out the window. 

Staring off into the darkness, movement by the gate caused him to look down.  His stomach dropped as he saw a figure angrily stomping across the courtyard, hands switching from shaking his hair to slapping his uniform.  His body language was clearly pissed off and Jimin subconsciously winced. 

As though sensing his eyes, the third year slowly came to a stop and looked upwards.  Jimin felt the hair on the back of his neck raise as he tried to convince himself that the senior couldn’t see his face from that distance and there were so many other classrooms with lights on in the second year wing and there’s no way he even knows I’m the one that did it.

But as the figure turned back and headed out the gates Jimin felt that his peaceful time at Seoul Normal was coming to an end.

Dropping his head into his hands, Jimin fought the urge to sob.

“I need to transfer.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A/N:  

 

It's finally done!  Yay!  

Poor Jimin, author-nim loves you, really ^^

The story will be Main!Yoonmin with sides of Vhope and Namjin

Next chapter Hoseok will make an appearance and the other characters will have more parts! 

 

Please anticipate :D

Comments are always appreciated!  Let me know what you think