Why?

I'm Never Letting You Go. Ever.

 

 

The night breeze, accompanied by the shining stars and moon made the date even more romantic. The silent atmosphere was comfortable, all of them exhausted from all the rides they had gone to earlier in the evening. Unconsciously, Henry was taking a few glances at Amber, while she enjoyed the beautiful night sky. He was wondering if the friendship that turned into a more intimate one was a right choice. Fear started to fill his mind, because he did not want their relationship to change into something awkward. But there he was… Trying to come up with ways to begin a conversation with his own girlfriend. If he could kiss Amber right on the spot, he would gladly do so.

“Henry? Heyyyyy Mochi… Hmph. STUPID SNOOPY!” Henry was jolted back into reality when Amber hit his head jokingly because her calls went unheard. With a clueless face, he replied nonchalantly, “Yes, darl- AMBER! Yep, Amber. Ahhahah what did you say?”

“You look suspicious. Are you feeling unwell or anything? Why are you sweating profusely?” Henry frowned and touched his head. That was when it dawned upon him that he had been having cold sweat thinking about Amber and their relationship.

“Yeah, it’s fine. I’m alright.”

His statement did not convince Amber though, but she just closed one eye. She knew that Henry would tell her what was bothering him when he was ready. Turning her head away back to the window, she continued to enjoy the scenic night view.

“Hyung, are we reaching Namsan Tower soon? I need to go to the washroom.” Henry asked, loud enough for Amber to hear to change the topic.

“Yeah, we’re near already. Just be patient, aish. Are you guys hungry? There’s a restaurant in the building, so we can just have our supper there.”

“Oh, anything is fine.”

 

He checked his phone for any updates, when he received a text from an unknown number. However, his past began to haunt him once he read the text.

Hey, darling. I’m finally done with my studies and I had gone back to Canada two weeks ago. But your parents told me you’re in South Korea. SO guess what? Here I am. Wanna meet?

In case, you “accidentally” deleted my number, this is your beloved fiancée, Aryca.

Henry widened his eyes and tried to control his facial expression in order to raise any suspicions, but he failed miserably. He was panicking because everything was going very well for him and Amber, but a certain someone just had to ruin it.

“Guys, we’re here. Honey, wake up.” He said, while caressing Ailee’s cheek.

 

Henry nervously stepped out of the car, and went over to Amber’s side to open her door.

“Thanks, Henry.” She carefully stood up while covering her exposed legs and holding on to her skirt. She did not want anyone to ogle at those legs, because it’s just… wrong.

They intertwined their hands, both walking behind the Hailee couple to the elevator. Anyone who looked at them could tell that they were worrying over something. Ailee, the observant one, noticed that but she kept mummed because it was no longer her problem. She had helped them to get to this stage, so it was their turn to take over and solve their own problems.

“Yah guys, I’m hungry. Let’s have supper at the restaurant on the 61st level!” Ailee suggested and the growl her stomach made could be heard. All of us laughed at her, and the atmosphere instantly turning into a cheery one. Ailee was indeed capable of doing anything. They stepped into a modernized restaurant, maybe more like a café, where colourful decorations were displayed on the walls. However, Henry’s mood totally suited the colour of the interior – red, black, white. Red; why did she have to return NOW?! Black; he could foresee the bleak future. White; it’s always associated with black – such a dull combination, similar to the gloomy Henry. What really bothered him was the fact that she still held onto him with those feelings that he thought were gone. Vanished. He did not want to lose Amber and he was afraid that she would misunderstand this whole thing and ended up hurting each other.

 

Once again, he was about to curse at his hopeless life and how bad events always fell upon him during his visit to the Namsan Tower. Maybe, it was not a suitable place for him to seek love and romance. Perhaps love was not meant for him at all and he should have just friend-zoned everyone. And maybe… Just maybe.. He should not have met Amber in the first place.

Meanwhile, many questions were racing through Amber’s mind. She did not know what was wrong with Henry, but he was definitely not being himself after receiving a text from someone half an hour ago. She suddenly felt like going home, away from him for the time being because she could sense that the night was not going to turn out right. Yet, she had to stay and just go along with everything so that she would not ruin the date for Ailee and Donghae.

After the heavy supper, all of them proceeded to the rooftop for ‘the-must-thing-to-do-at-namsan-tower-for-couples’. They had been looking forward to leave their couple locks there someday, and it was finally coming true. Amber carefully wrote her message in the neatest handwriting she could come up with at the back of the lock which read:

This is only the beginning, so let’s go through thick and thin together till the end. I’ll always love you, and you’re the only with the key to the lock in my heart. Hwaiting, and let’s continue to love!

Henry playfully snatched the lock away to read her message, and smiled when he did so. Yet, a sense of guiltiness crept to him and he could not shake those negative feelings away. The truth would always be unveiled in the end anyway, so there was no use in hiding it. He slowly took the marker pen from her and started penning down his truthful thoughts.

I love you, Amber and only you. I’m sorry and thankful everything. But even if one day you stop loving me, you need to know that I’m never letting you go. Ever.

His message was short, but there were many hidden meanings behind it that he could not personally tell her. She had the right to know about his past, and he vowed to share with her, soon.

 

But what he did not expect was that his nightmare was coming alive.

“Darling, what are you doing here?”