Same Phase

Say Something

They met in college, they were both taking up filmmaking. Sophomore year, they both had different plans and none of those involved falling in love. She was a beautiful jolly girl who knew her priorities well and to her love was a mere distraction. She knew exactly where to go, and she was on her way. Jongin, on the other hand, was the quiet charismatic guy everyone wanted to figure out, but he never let anyone in. To his heart that is, his bedroom was a different case. Rumor has it he has slept with almost every girl in their department, even the professors. To him, life should never be taken seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

 

They had different personalities, even the way they took their coffee did not match to the slightest bit and yet always being paired together for projects made them good friends somehow. By friends, I meant, they started by talking from time to time, about the weather or something else. And given that he did not give two s about the whether or anything for that matter, that was already progress right there in the friendship stage.

 

"You're too quiet around others." she tells him as they were in the library, trying to come up with a concept board and a storyline for their movie project. He does not answer for awhile and so she returns to working, thinking he did not want to talk about it. "I just don't feel like talking to people who don't interest me." he finally answers her as he steals a quick glance of her, which he has been doing quite a lot nowadays. "Hmm. Good point." she smiles at him, and he starts to look away, feeling nervous. Or was it nervousness really or something else completely?

He felt stupid for always staring at her, wondering what it was that could keep all his attention to her alone. Nobody has ever done that, and honestly he did not want an exception because he was not the type to be stuck with someone, he had to keep moving.   

 

Finally one day he goes as far as asking her if she believed the rumors to be true. "People believe what they choose to believe... But I don't even listen to them in the first place." was her reply and was all he needed to hear from her. Now he was starting to consider the idea of slowing his phase down.

In reality, far from what people see, he was not really that bad boy with the dark past who tends to sleep around, he was just some quiet dude who had no particular interest with anyone so he never showed any. He never took his relationships seriously not because he had no heart to give. To him being in love was handing out all that you are and all that you have to someone else, trusting them not to leave you behind. In simple terms, love is walking at the same phase as the other, and he can never trust that much so he bolts from everyone that tries to catch his phase. 

As he tries his hardest not to completely stop for her, he notices her small steps, towards something she was very sure of. Curiosity does kill, but he wanted to take a peek on where she was headed to. 

 

 

"We're getting kind'a popular around here, huh?" he smirks as another guy walked past their table trying to get her attention, but to no avail failed. "What do you mean?" she asks him, finally following his gaze that soon lead to a table of guys all staring at her. "Plot twist, it's not me, it's you they're interested in." she jokes and goes back to writing the next plot for their project. "Yeah, it's so hard being this flawless." he flips his non-existent long hair. Jongin in fact felt like he really deserved that hair flip, because in his head, he won. He had her attention, and they can't have it. 

 

 

Today for the first time in a long time, they were not together for the weekend. They finally submitted all their requirements and there was no longer a reason, more so an excuse, for them to spend time with each other. Not having much to do, she still went to the library. There she found him, she was secretly hoping to find him there too. He just smiles at her and pulls the chair next to him, motioning for her to come seat with him. In hush voices they just talked. Not about school related things, but about themselves. He asked questions, she answered them, but she never asked in return. Not because of lack of interest, but she was hesitant to know more about him. Thinking that if she did, all the more she would be confused of her feelings. 

 

 

People tend to believe what they choose to believe, so he let them, he did not see a point in trying to change his reputation because he did not owe them a thing about his personal life. Somehow though, he felt like explaining himself to her... Maybe he did not want her to get the wrong idea, maybe he just felt like talking now. Who knows? Not even he knows.

"I did have fun with a few girls here and there. " he tells her one night as she was re-watching their short movie project. They were alone, and he wanted it that way, it was the only time he felt like talking. "Yeah? Well, college is what it is, we all need stress relievers, so that's okay... I guess." she says to him not removing her focus from the screen. "....So you're okay with that?" he asks, amused by her reply and how she was now focusing at a paused screen. "Well, yeah, I mean it's your life...." she clears , she did sound a tad bit upset. "You know, ever since I met you I found you damn attractive, y as hell," he messes with her. "But you being upset is not y at all, love." he draws his face near to hers, only less than an inch apart from each other's lips. He was only meaning to mess around with her, but as soon as they were already that close he found it hard to resist the urge to kiss her. They remained that way for quite some time, just staring into each other's eyes. Knowing he shouldn't just yet, he finally moved away. "But the thing about me sleeping with everyone on campus is a stupid exaggeration. Some girls just like telling their friends they slept with me, I guess. 'Cause hey, when you're this good looking everyone wants a piece, huh?" he winked as he made his way to the door. Though that sounded cocky, it was true. What was untrue though was his cool and calm demeanor. "Anyway, I gotta go. See you in class." he closes the door, heart beating so fast it felt like he just ran a marathon and back. Finally recovering from the shock he gave her by almost stealing her first kiss she grabs a pillow throws it at his direction and shouts "Kim Jongin, I swear if you do that to me again, I will have your head in a silver platter, you ert!" She acted as if she was furious at him for messing with her, but though she may never admit she was mad about how she felt the moment they were just inches apart and how she felt the moment he left her. Both feelings were strong, both feelings were not supposed to exist. But why do they?

 

The more he spends time with her the more he noticed the little details about her. He was fascinated by her, every little thing she does was interesting and if he could film every moment he spends with her, he would. So he can watch them over and over again, because she was far more interesting than anything on TV, anything written, sang or painted. She was all that he wanted to see. All the more he started to admit he was beginning to not just take interest in her, but love her too. But he did not want her to know just yet, not until he was sure he can love her the way she deserves to be loved, so he just occasionally messes around with her, teases her like a little kid wanting attention from his crush.

He was a completely different guy in front of her, and he liked that, because that was the real him. He was not so hard to figure out, she thought, he was just a simple quiet guy, no dark past, no mysterious side, but that's only because she was unaware she already broke his walls, and found her way to his heart. Effortlessly, if Kim Jongin may add.

She on the other hand, tried to avoid noticing him and the little things about him, but she always ends up failing. She seldom asks, but she observes. The way he would arrive late for class, the way he cannot start a day without two black coffees in hand, the way he may seem uninterested but listens, the way he pretends he does not steal glances of her, even the way he plays with his pen when he thinks. They all slowly became what she loved about him. But she was afraid of this feeling. It was all new to her and risking everything she had planned on for this was out of the question, or so she thought. 

 

You take a closer look at the life of these two and how they were before they met, you'd definitely believe me when I say the chances of them ever even being together was so off it did shock everyone when one day he marched right into her classroom and handed her a bouquet of tulips, her favorites, as he asked her out in front of everyone. Everyone he probably slept with and never called again or everyone who wanted to sleep with him. Like I said, she had goals to which she'd given herself deadlines to accomplish, she was always supposed to be on schedule, straight ahead she was off to. And he was not stopping for anyone, he was unwilling to share his life to anyone, trusting someone else was out of the question. That was all until that day. That day she did something that was not even part of the plan. That day he went out of his way to finally slow his phase down. That day they both stopped and took a different road together. Crazy, unbelievable, stupid. She may have lost her mind because she said yes to him, threw away her lists and started a new one. He may have lost his mind because he would now follow her to the ends of the Earth because she had his heart.

But the beauty of learning how to love was they finally were no longer alone. They had each other, slowly they walked together, hoping the road would lead to them together still being in each other's lives by the end of it.