Chapter 9: observation

precious

 

“Baek, don’t turn back and just go straight. Okay? No matter what happens, DO NOT TURN BACK.”

“But, what’ll happen once I’m gone. What about you?” the brunette mumbled as tears ran down his cheeks. How was he to just leave like that. After all, this was the only life he had ever known.

“You know they would do nothing to me. You need to just go now and be somewhere safe.” The taller boy whispered to him. They couldn’t afford to be loud and time was running out.

Baekhyun stared at the boy in front of him for a while. Memories of childhood suddenly came to him. The woods, the pretty flowers, the times they had run around in search of adventure and so much more. He wanted to sit and bawl his eyes out. He couldn’t move from his spot.

But the other boy recognized the weakness, and before it could set, he gave the shorter one a tight hug and pulled away soon, kissing the top of his head.  “ Please, go and live. That’s all I want. I want you to be happy and safe.”  And with that, pain painted across his features, he gave Baekhyun a final push that finally got the boy to act.

A ‘Bye’, was all he could say, as he finally forced his legs to work. Turning towards the ever expanding woods, he sprinted through the growth of trees as fast as he could.  His vision was blurred and he was pretty sure that he was going to trip anytime soon, and after a distance, that was exactly what happened. His foot stumbled upon a piece of stone and he felt his body lurch towards the ground.

 The rough, muddy surface of the ground was about to crash with his face, when suddenly he was facing a peach wall, at some distance.

Blinking rapidly, Baekhyun stayed in bed, as he realised that everything had been a dream.  Fortunately, he hadn’t woken up screaming or anything of the sort, but he could feel the palpitations in his heart. It took him a while to finally calm down and then he sat up on the bed.

The dreams were always there. They didn’t occur daily, but they were still frequent and many of the times, they were about the day he had left his old pack.  And this time, it had been about him and Tao.

Tao, the boy who had done everything for him and the boy who was now as good as lost to him. He had no clue what had happened after that day and he could only hope that the other boy was alright. He had promised himself that he would one day go back to see him, but that time was way ahead in the future.

He stayed put for a few minutes, just thinking over things, before he finally decided to get up and go out. He glanced towards the windows and realised that the sun was almost about to rise.

After brushing his teeth and taking a quick shower, he was making his way towards the kitchen, when he heard the clanking of utensils. Someone was already up and about so early in the morning, and it was just sunrise.

Curious as to who this early bird was, he quickly entered the space, when he noticed a mop of black hair. He immediately recognized kyungsoo, as the latter moved about swiftly in the kitchen. The stove was and something was sizzling in the pan, as the other wolf stopped to fiddle with  the buttons of the coffee machine. Baekhyun  was about to clear his throat to draw the attention of the boy, when the shorter one turned around, reaching out for the cup that lay on the island table.

Realising that there was someone else present, the shorter boy lifted his head to look at him. Big round eyes stared at him for a second, before offering him a smile. The omega smiled back and nervously took his seat on one of the kitchen island stools.

“Sleep well, little pup?”  softly smiling, Baekhyun nodded his head in a yes. He was somewhat fidgety around the older wolf. Although taller than him, Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel intimidated by Kyungsoo. There was something tough about him and Baekhyun was usually unable to talk much to him, despite having lived with him for almost a week now. Kyungsoo, he had observed, was not much of a talker and hence, the two hadn’t had much of a conversation yet.

Placing a mug of coffee before him, Kyungsoo told him to keep an eye on the stove, as he went to pluck some herbs from the garden, and went out of the kitchen, leaving Baekhyun to his thoughts.

If anyone asked Baekhyun, Kyungsoo’s arrival changed certain things for him. For example, every morning  breakfast was prepared by  him. In fact, he contributed majorly towards preparing the lunch and dinner as well. This resulted in Baekhyun no longer being served with Luhan’s tasty pancakes. Not that what Kyungsoo made tasted bad, in fact everything was always scrumptious,  but the omega had gotten used to scarfing down the pancakes almost  every morning.

Another thing that changed, was his daily routine with the alpha. It had been a week since the two had taken their nightly walks. Somehow or the other, their routine was interrupted every single day. The first day, it had been the welcome back party the pack had thrown for Kyungsoo, which had been a lot of fun. Then, it had been Kyungsoo insisting that he wanted to join them on their walk. The next day, Chanyeol had been caught up in some work that Kyungsoo needed to be done as soon as possible. After that, it had been that special dinner that the shorter male had wanted to make for everyone. It had been one thing after the other and to Baekhyun, who had begun to look forward to his walks with the Alpha every night, it had brought a little disappointment.

However, he couldn’t say that Kyungsoo was not nice to him. He had been rather sweet and helpful to the omega and Baekhyun had nothing to complain about, other than the uneasy feeling he got every time Chanyeol was close to him and Kyungsoo was in the same room. It was a feeling of being watched, observed, and he couldn’t say that he enjoyed that very much.

The other thing that disturbed him a little, was the owl eyed boy’s behaviour with the alpha. Everyone else in the pack was friendly with Chanyeol. They listened to him and at times joked around with him. But they treated him as a leader, who was their equal. No one put Chanyeol on a pedestal. Well, except maybe Baekhyun... a teeny weeny bit maybe. To him, Chanyeol was smart and kind and gentle and powerful. He was very different from the alpha’s in his previous pack and it couldn’t be helped that he looked up to the elder wolf. And maybe that was why he could somewhat identify Kyungsoo’s behaviour. The other wolf displayed subtle similarities with Baekhyun’s own behaviour when he was around the tall leader, but managed to conceal them with his gentle and graceful behaviour. And Baekhyun didn’t know why it really bothered him. Even if it was only a little bit. It wasn’t like the alpha was his property or anything. Anyone was free to feel whatever they did for him and moreover, who was the omega to feel that way when he was the new addition to the pack.

He didn’t notice when kyungsoo returned to the kitchen and was startled by the sudden sound of water running from the kitchen sink’s tap. Looking up from his mug of coffee, he saw Kyungsoo washing the herbs to rid them of their dirt. Wanting to help the other wolf out, he cleared his throat and asked him.

“Hyung, do you want me to help you?” But his voice came out squeaky and Baekhyun winced. Kyungsoo really did intimidate him.

Turning around, Kyungsoo looked at him and with a smile, told him that he was almost done and that Baekhyun didn’t really need to do anything. He had it all under control.

Squeaking out an okay, Baekhyun got up from the stool and informed the elder that he was going to go and study for a while and quietly went back to his room to study. He figured, since he woke up so early, it was better to do something productive.

 


 

Kyungsoo watched the pup walk out of the kitchen and sighed. It had been a bit awkward to be alone in the same space as the younger. The hadn’t spoken much to each other in the week since kyungsoo’s return and frankly, the elder wold didn’t know what to feel about this new addition to the pack.

The day he had returned, he had been excited about seeing his pack mates. He had been eager to see the alpha. But the introduction to the new wolf had thrown him a little off balance. Seeing him for the first time, Kyungsoo had been struck by the other’s beauty for a moment. The pink, plump ips had stretched into a small, nervous smile at him, and the pretty brown eyes had looked up at him with curiosity. He was a little taller that Kyungsoo, but he was more petite. He screamed ‘puppy’ and Kyungsoo had felt a pang of discomfort at the prettiness of the boy.

Discomfort, which increased as he saw Chanyeol  introduce the omega to him as if he were his mate. There was a fondness to his tone as he spoke to the omega and Kyungsoo was unable to move his eyes away from the arm that the alpha had wrapped around the pup’s shoulders.

It was safe to say, that his return hadn’t been the most wonderful.

But over the course of the days, he had begun to realise that Baekhyun was in fact, a little adorable. The fact that Chanyeol looked at him with such fondness, still bothered him, but he couldn’t overlook the fact that the omega was quite naive. He could see the childlike awe in his eyes, whenever he looked up at the alpha, or the pout that formed on his lips every time his nightly walk with Chanyeol got cancelled. Not that Kyungsoo plotted that every time. Okay, maybe a few times... But he had been a little jealous of the developments that had happened between Chanyeol and the new wolf and he had tried to change their routine for while, before deciding that he needed to stop that because he couldn’t do that forever.

He also noticed that the omega tried to listen to everyone in the pack and tried to be of as much help as possible.  Even with Kyungsoo, he tried to offer whatever help he could.  And the black haired boy couldn’t really bring himself to be hostile towards the pup. He just didn’t know how to talk to him and how to really feel about him. But, by the end of one week, Kyungsoo knew that he couldn’t harbour negative feelings for the boy.



 

 

AAAAH! i haven't given up on the story, people! I'm so sorry for the late updates, but I'm finally in my second last semester of college and I've been really demotivated to type. It's just laziness, really.

This is just a short chapter about what baekhyun and kyungsoo think of each other. Next chapter will be better, i hope.

I hope you liked it :) Will try to update soon,

Also, thank you for writing such lovely comments and for subscribing or just reading. It makes me really happy to see the supoort for this lame story.