Something Missed, Something New

Dirty (not) Little Secrets

             hi guys. sorry for the lack of updates. things are come up to me. thesis, my grandma's passed away last wed so i cant updates new chapter for a while. now now, i give you this chapter. hope you like it. and sorry for some mistakes, i'll make it up later when i have time. comments <3 give me your feedback. xo

 


            So, first day was not bad at all. Having at least one friend in the first day is accomplished. Mom gonna be very happy to hear this, knowing her only anti-social son finally can make a friend by his own. But then, I actually not just got one friend. But there’s more.

            Yesterday, was not bad. Yes, I am still my quiet person but, Hakyeon was really a help. The teachers decided to look at me as their prey, so they kept asking things to me through the lesson. I couldn’t help but stay clueless then. But I could see Hakyeon trying to help me answer the question so, it’s not really bad either.

            However, I feel a little bad for him. He looked a bit uncomfortable around me before, I can see it from his face. Something was like I am smelly. But then he stick with me, made me open for him to read and I could feel I am comfortable with him. And he is not just an acquintance anymore.

            Based on that, I feel school is not that frightening anymore. Maybe I can have a bright future here than in Seoul. I don’t know. But I think I will give it a shot. For me to adapt here.

            I walking down the stairs to get me a breakfast before I go to school. Mom is nowhere to be found in the kitchen or dinning room, so I assume she is still getting ready in her room. Dad, maybe he already went to work. I don’t know. I make my way to make my morning coffee, and while I’m waiting, I chew a bread and leaning to the kitchen counter.

            “So, how’s school?” I look at where the voice came. I see my oldest sister makes her way in the dinning room just in her bathrobe.

            “Good.”

            “Good, huh? So, yesterday was okay?” she frown her brows and look at me. She looks so bad in the morning or maybe this morning is her worst morning state I’ve ever seen. So I decide to make her coffee.

           “Yeah, kind of. How ‘bout you? You look terrible,” I say while bring a cup of coffee for her to fully waken up.

            “Not bad. I miss Seoul but here’s not bad.” She sips her coffee and mouthing ‘thanks’ to me. “Hey, you do talk more today. You never ask me back before. Anything happened in school? I mean, is there anyone that makes you interested into? Come on, you can talk to me. You know that.”

            Oh great. Being a nosy is her thing. And she is not a best secret keeper. If I happened to spill something to her, then she will talk to my other sisters and then, the news will go to my parents. Not that I want to keep it a secret but, I don’t need a thing to make them overjoyed for something un-necessary.

            “Nope. If I ever happen to talk, it’s not you who I am coming to.” I snap unconsciously.

            “Ow-kay.. No need to snap. Geez, Taek, I had a hard night last night and your snap just make my headache worse.” She massages her temple and close her eyes. Suddenly, I feel sorry about that. But I’m not saying it out loud.

            “You don’t wanna ask what I had last night?” I shake my head uninterested about her night. “What a caring brother you are, Taek.”

            “Well, you better freshen up yourself, Sis. You look awful. Did you drink last night?”

            A new voice comes to the dinning room. I can tell it’s my second sister coming. I am now preparing my lunch for today so my back is facing them.

            “Shut up! It’s work. Since I am new and I am not the only one but there are two more new workers there, my boss took us all, our division, to the bbq last night. And we drank, we ate, and it led to second round to karaoke and you know…” she paused and take a sigh. “…I came home at 1 with a cab. Fortunately I’m not that drunk but well, it took enough to make my head aching like this, this morning.”

            I roll my eyes. Typical my sister. Can’t reject alcohol for her system.

            “That’s explained why I couldn’t reach your phone, huh? At least, can you give a home call before you go wherever you want?” a voice I fully recognize makes my sister growling and I can hear she bangs her head on the table. “There you are. Are you preparing your lunch?”

            “Uh, yeah.”

            “Are you really okay if you go to school by yourself? I am still worry about that idea when you said it last night.”

            “It’s okay, Mom. It’s not that far and I think I can get fresh air. A little walk won’t hurt,” I say to assure her but I find her eyes narrowing and she looks at me amusely.

            “You talk a lot, suddenly. I am not remember you have this long explaination before. Or have you?” she looks at me again, makes me uncomfortable.

            “SEE! I feel the same way, Mom. Maybe he is changing. Or someone changed him.”

            “Shut up!”

            “Taekwoon, language to your sister. But I am not complaining though, Honey. You are being more…. friendly. I like that.” She winks and I can’t help to roll my eyes.

            “Okay, I need to go. See you,” I take my bag and lunch and run from my mom who still smiling widely. Oh please. This is why I don’t want to tell them about what happened in school.

            “Be careful and make a lot of friends!”

            I can hear mom yelling from the front door. I am going to school alone today since my dad is using the car and my sister is gonna use the other later. I still have much time, so I think I am gonna walk. I need to think anyway. My mind go back to Hakyeon again. It such a rare thing that I gain my interest on him. I don’t know who he is. Yet. Oh yeah, I wanna know him. Eventhough I don’t know how to. I wonder where he lives. Not that I want to visit or anything. But a little curiousity grow in me. How he lives to become so… known by so many people. And those people are so randomly… from any type. You know, jocks, nerds, goths, etc. So I thought that he is not in one of the group yet the people in it know him. Who is he, actually.

            He maybe laugh at me and say me different or something like he did yesterday at lunch if he knew I interested in him. He really is acting like a friend yesterday with all the talks. Eventhough he acted weird in the end. Not that I really care but deep down, I am touched. I just came, and there he is offering me help and friendship. I mean, nobody, I say nobody even sees me. But he looked at me like I have this spotlight above my head or something. Not that I complained. I am grateful.

            Before, I know that my sisters are worried about me being a loner or a wang-dda. I’ve been there before, that’s why they grew so protected with me. Keeping their attention at me and stuffs until I push them away when I was in junior high. It’s embarrasing sometimes but I understand their concern. Some people bullied me before. I often came home with some bruised arm, scratched legs, or even limped on my way home with empty wallet. I shut my mouth about that from our parents and I asked them shut too. I don’t want to make it worse and made myself a tattletaler.

            Again about Hakyeon. I don’t know. I think he is not a bad guy. But I don’t have a good feeling about him too. Not that he is gonna be a bully to me right? Not that he sees me as his prey right? I am now afraid that is his true motive why he’s approaching me. There there my bad thoughts coming. Such a paranoid person.

            Without realizing it, I already here. At the gates. Ah, my thoughts keep me busy along the way. I look at my watch and surprised that I just need 30 minutes to reach school by walking. Not even running. And I feel fresh. Such a refreshment live in the small city. I walk passed the gates that haven’t even guide by teachers that looking out for violation from the students. I saw so many students were held outside the gate because their uniform, or hair color. There’s no sounds of cheerleader. Only sound of maybe soccer team that doing their morning practice from the field.

            “Good morning, Taekwoon.”

            A greeting I haven’t used to came from a smiley guy in front of me when I walk in to the gates. His grin is wide and I find it a little bit annoying. But since it does no harm for me, I let him be.

            “Morning, Ken,” I reply. He walks with me across the field and talk to me while I am just listen to his story.

            Well, a little catch up story. After Hakyeon left me confused yesterday just when bell rang, I had to go back to class by myself. And when I remembered I have no friend but him yet, it made me anxious all of the sudden.

            I entered the class with my head down before a grasp of hand hold my shoulder. I was thinking I am going to be bully or anything like that. But then the person who hold my step turned me to face him and I could see his friendly face smiling at me.

            “Hi. Taekwoon right? I am Jaehwan, but please. Call me just Ken,” he said with hand on the side of his body.

            “Why Ken, it’s not in the name though,” I mumbled, assume he won’t hear what I said. But unfortunately he could.

            “Ken is my…. Popular name. So, can you do me a favor? Call me Ken instead of Jaehwan. Oh and by the way, Hakyeon is my best friend. So, sorry if he annoyed you in any way before. He is really a chatter. But no worries. I am a chatter too, but not as loud as him.” He grinned and I just could nod my head. “Seems like he’s ditching class again. I’ll sit on his seat then.”

            That’s how I met him and also be friend with him. What an eventful day of my first day. Never thought I will get friends this fast. Not that I am complaining though, I am more than grateful. At least I won’t be alone like I used to.

            “So, what do you think about this school?”

            “Not bad.”

            “How cold,” he pouts. “Anyway. Have you decide which club you gonna join? If not, I can give you recommendat—,”

            “I already decided. I think, I wanna try out for soccer.”

            “That’s GREAT! You have this athletic body and, well, don’t judge me, you thighs are muscular. You must be a player before,” he look at my body from head to toe and I feel somewhat embarrased of it.

            “Yeah. I used to play soccer, but not in school team.”

            “What a waste. I will introduce you to my friend who are the keeper and also captain of the team later. He is the nicest guy I ever know. You will like him, trust me.” I smile when I heard his promise. Ken sure is a chatter but he is nice-chatter not the annoying one. I’m glad he wants to be my friend.

            As I reach the classroom alongside with Ken, few of my classmates are already came. I put my bag on the desk and look at Hakyeon’s beside mine. I am still curious what makes him left me after I told him where I live. Well, I am already interested in him, in a good way. Since he don’t bother to tell me all of the things about this school and encourage me yesterday.

            Will he ditch school today?

            “Hey, Taek. C’mon. I’ll bring you to my friend.”

            I look up and find Ken is leaning on my desk. He looks excited. And I can’t help but feel the same way. Such a mood maker he is.

            So, I follow him while hear him telling me about this friend of his. I wonder what he looks like. Ken describe him much like an angel. Is that really a person that nice? I don’t know.

            “…. He never even hurts a fly. Can you believe? Lol, okay I am exagerate things but he is really an angel. Very nice person, and also a talented soccer player.”

            Finally we stop in front of a class that already full of students. The loud sounds come from the class. What a fun class.

            “Wait here,” Ken say. “HEY DONGWOO!”

            I open my eyes wide when I hear his loud voice in the class. Suddenly, every activities in the class stop and everyone looking at us. I can feel blood rising to my face. What an embarassment.

            But then, a nice looking guy, with black spikey hair, big happy eyes look at us. Well, more at Ken. He shows us his wide smile and go up from his seat and walk toward us. Is this the friend he talks about before?

            “Yo, what’s up!” he greets Ken and does… I think that’s their secret handshake.

            “I wanna introduce my friend here. Here is Taekwoon. Taek, he is Dongwoo, the one I was talk about before. And he is a captain of our soccer team.”

            “Hi, I am Jang Dongwoo. New guy?” he asks. I shake his hand and nod. He smile wider and his eyes become a crescent shape and I can see why Ken describe him as an angel. He really does look like one.

            “I want to try out for the team,” I say. He looks at me and nod his head several times.

            “You can come to the field this afternoon. I will tell coach about it later before your try outs. Impress me, okay?” he smiles. I nod and look at Ken’s happy face.

            “Okay then. See you later, Taekwoon, Jae. I need to be back. I have to finish math’s homework before bell ringing. See you,” he runs to his seat and waving at us. I can’t help to chuckle at his excuse.

            “That’s Dongwoo. He is nice. Really nice. You will get along with him.” Ken lead me back to our classroom. “By the way, have you do English homework yet?”

*

            Hakyeon didn’t show up today.

            Ken and I was waiting for him until third period but then we thought that he really won’t come today. Ken said it is not the first time, he sometimes did this before. But, he usually gave Ken a text about that. Ken was used to it, so I think, maybe it is not something to think about.

            School was over an hour ago. Ken already left because he said he has something to do before going home. So here I am. Waiting for my try-out for soccer team, alone. Well, not alone, if I have to notice that all the members of the team are in the field, training. But, I am alone, with no one support me. Hell, I am sound like a girl who wants attention.

            “Hey. You okay?”

            A cheerful voice that I recognize as Dongwoo’s heard from beside me. I take a look at him with his keeper’s outfit and gloves. He looks different from how he looked like before, a fool. He looks cool. I can sense his leadership aura from him.

            “Yeah. Just a bit nervous,” I answer his question, try to let out a smile but I know I failed cause he give me a pat on my shoulder.

            “Take a breath and relax. You’re gonna be just fine. Just do what you have to do and you will fine.” He smiles. “I heard that you’ve played before?”

            “Just for fun.” And it was long ago.

            He chuckles and pats my shoulder once more. “You’re gonna be okay. Just think that I am not I am. Or… don’t think about the coach being around. And try to avoid me, make a goal. You are… forward?”

            “I’ve played as midfielder, actually.”

            “Ah, that’s explained your fit body. Just trust me, you’re gonna ace the try outs. Come on!” he leads me to the field to meet the coach. I can see he yells to the team members who are practicing.

            “Hey, coach!” Dongwoo, who the height is barely on my ear, stand in front of me.

            “Hey, Woo,” he turned. “Ah, is this the new guy you were talking about before? The one who wants to trying to become a member of the team?”

            “Yeap. Taekwoon, this is Coach Tony. Coach, this is Taekwoon.”

            I bowed and give him greetings and he just smile slightly.

            “You’re quite tall. How tall?”

            “181,” I barely speak it out loud.

            “Nice. Midfielder?”

            “Yes.”

            “Good. Now, you can go to your place and we will start our try outs.”

            And there, I feel like vomit.

*