Part Three

How My Baby and I Met Kai

It has been three years since JC went to Saudi with his parents, and two more years working on her new job as a teacher in a private school.

 

After that mock wedding, the two went home the very next day. Jade had been crying buckets when JC left with his mother, same with the little boy. But then she must accept it since he has to learn to be with his real parents and besides she has to think of her own too. All that is left with her are pictures of their last days together in Seoul.

 

There are the pictures of them in the café houses they visited, others when they went over some historical places and museums, especially the Namsan Tower where they bought a locket for the two of them. More importantly are those of the mock wedding they had. She would shed tears again whenever she scrolls over the pictures.

 

When the boy called for the first time, it took her minutes to respond since she can’t stop herself from sobbing. So much for having a child grows under your care.

 

Right at this moment, she is sitting beside the Han River, rubbing her hands for warmth. Since she had been in the place for a couple of times, her Supervisor decided to send her for a of month training. So much had happen that she barely had time to do sightseeing since they always had homework or a project to pass the very next day. This night happened to be the very first she had nothing to worry about for the next day.

 

A guy took the space beside her. She turned her head and gasped.

“Kai??” she whispered.

Kai turned his head, “Hi Jade, long time no see,” he greeted.

“How did you know it’s me?” she asked.

“Well, I happen to recognize the blue beanie hat I personally ordered for you and JC,” he replied.

She made an ‘o’ sound and a few nods.

“So why are you here?” he asked.

“For training. A month of training,” she casually replied.

“Where’s JC?”

“He has been with her mother for long. I haven’t seen him since the last time they left,” she sniffed, wiping a tear.

“I’m sorry,” he handed her his hanky which she received.

“It’s okay. I just happen to be always sensitive and emotional when it comes to JC,” she sniffed again, “How about you? How are you?”

Kai smiled, “Well, you see, for the past five years, I had been wandering around this place to look for someone. I hoped that someday I might get to see her. Luckily, I just did,” he looked at her.

“Really? Where is she?” she asked, looking around.

“Right in front of me,” he leaned forward and reached to give her a light kiss on the lips which shocked her.

“I promised myself that I would marry the girl I am ‘married to’ for real,” he whispered, cupping her face.

 

It took her a few moments to realize what had just happened. When her thoughts finally sink in, she slowly reached for his hand and removed it.

“I would probably be the happiest girl, but not all things happen like what we wish it could be,” she slowly reached for his hand and handed him something.

“You see, I was never meant to be yours neither you to be mine. You might think I am cold or cruel that I barely had any feelings for you but no, that’s not the truth. I actually admire you, but nothing beyond that. You are still young and maybe the girl you need is just around the corner. Kai, I’m sorry, I can’t be that girl,” she bowed down her head.

 

Something caught up in his throat. He can’t speak, nor react. He felt the warm tears cascade down his face as he looks down the ring they used on their mock wedding. Moments later, he wiped off the tears.

 

“Babe! I’m so sorry! It took me so long to get these bubble teas you said you want,” a guy approached the silent two. Kai looked up to see another guy handing a bubble tea to Jade.

“Umm, babe, I want you to meet a friend of mine,” she started receiving the bubble tea. She gestured over Kai, “This is Kai of EXO.”

The guy looked at Kai before reaching for a handshake, “Man, you are really good looking,” he smiled.

“Kai,” Jade looked at him, “This is my husband, Kyle,” she introduced.

 

Kai gave an awkward smile. Later, he noticed the identical rings on their right ring fingers.

“How long have you been married?” he asked Kyle.

“Oh, we had just been married for three months already,” Kyle smiled.

“Congratulations then. I guess I need to go back already. My co-members might be looking for me,” he said and started to walk off.

Jade started to run after him, “Kai, wait, I have something to give you,” she said and handed him a letter when he stopped.

“Send my regards to the boys,” then she went back to her husband.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Kai took the empty seat beside the window of their van. The others are actually at the dorm, he just sneaked out. He slowly unfolds the letter.

 

Dear Kai,

           

            You might find it funny that I am writing to you right now when I can just call you or e-mail you. But then I have nothing of the two so I just resort to the old ways, pen and paper.

            How are you? Are the boys fine? Have you had your meals properly? You should not tire yourself much because it can affect your health. Do I sound like a nagging mother? I’m sorry; it’s just that I miss JC.

            It has been a week since he left and I can’t get over it. His room stayed as it is, that he even forgot the poster he had from you. I bet he terribly missed that one too.

 

            Actually, I am writing this because I want to return the ring we used for the mock wedding we had. And I would like to mention that that was my first kiss. JC will surely get mad once he learns that I returned the ring. He will think that I divorced you. But then after all, it’s just a fake ceremony.

 

            Kai, thank you. Words will never be enough to express the gratitude I felt for you when you agreed on my stupid plan. You never knew how much I wanted to see my baby JC get so happy. I also wanted to make that day memorable for the two of us. It was JC’s wish for the two of us to get married but then even though it’s fake I saw real happiness in his smile that day. It was something priceless for me. He even ordered me to print our picture with him on a larger scale and framed it. He hanged it on his room and up to now, it is still there.

 

            I am already sounding like I am just talking about JC. I don’t know how to end this properly but seriously, thank you.

 

Yours truly,

Jade

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note: i was so damn blank when  I finished this. I am really sorry for the errors and the emptiness. i ran out of ideas, literally. But please do leave comments. I would really appreciate it!