Chapter Three

On top of the world

He felt so free, so deliciously alive. Hae never found another activity that caused this. He took another jump, twirled four times around and landed perfectly. A big smile graced his features as he continued to move down hill. He even laughed out loud as he went over a few bumps. God, this was living. The wind caressed his hair as he had left his helmet in his room, too eager to check the surroundings. If Teukie found out, there would be trouble but Donghae didn't have a care in the world. 

The sun was barely at the horizon as he continued his run. He had eaten his breakfast within 5 minutes and was out the door another 5 minutes later. The ski lifts weren't even operational yet do Donghae had just walked up the slope, enjoying the cold morning air.

 

A loud knocking woke Hyuk out of his slumber only to be smacked into the face with a pillow.

'Make the noise stop, Hyuk.' Kyu mumbled as he retracted the pillow.

Hyuk got up, punched the younger for good measure and went to open the door.

A frantic Sungmin was on the other side. 'Have you seen Donghae?' He asked nervously.

'It's six in the morning, leave me the hell alone.' Hyuk snarled.

'H-he's not in his bed. I promised Teukie hyung and he's already missing.' Sungmin started pacing within Hyuk's room.

Hyuk groaned and scratched his head. 'What do you want from me?'

'I want silence.' Kyu whined from under his covers.

Sungmin ignored the younger and kept his gaze on the hockey captain. 'Please help me find him.'

'But...' Hyuk tried.

'Please.' Sungmin interrupted. 'I don't want to face Teukie'

Hyuk sighed, pushed Sungmin on the bed and grabbed some random clothes. 'Give me a couple of minutes.'

 

Hae had just walked up the hill for a third time. His hyung hadn't lied. This was heaven. He could die happily after today. He smiled widely as he prepared for another run.

 

Hyuk's eyes were locked onto the snowboarder as he saw the younger push off.

'How did you know?' Sungmin asked him.

'I didn't.' Hyuk mumbled. His eyes widened at the first jump.

Oh my god.' Sungmin whispered. 'He's good.'

They both watched the younger doing every possible difficult move with so much ease and joy.

'He's an idiot.' Hyuk commented.

Sungmin was opening his mouth when Hyuk continued. 'Not even wearing his helmet, the fool!'

They both held their breath at the final jump, it was the biggest one. They watched Hae spinning around for what seemed minutes before the pure talent landed perfectly.

', he's good.' Sungmin said.

Hyuk was already walking angrily at the snowboarder.

Hae only noticed he had an audience when he got pulled harshly by Hyuk.

'What the hell do you think you are doing?' Hyuk shouted.

Hae's smile disappeared as he saw the anger. Those black eyes were piercing him, stabbing him. He didn't understand. He quickly looked down and bowed.

'Hyuk, you are scaring him.' Sungmin said gently.

'He should be afraid. What moron does stuff like this without a helmet!' Hyuk said.

Hae grabbed his head, his eyes widening. 'I'm s-sorry, I forgot.'

'You need a frigging 24/7 nanny.' Hyuk mumbled.

Hae pouted and lowered his head again.

Sungmin couldn't stand it and changed the topic. 'You were awesome, Donghae!'

Hae shyly peeked through his bangs, eyeing his roommate. 'I was?'

'Yeah! You make it seem so easy and fun, I feel like grabbing a board and try it for myself!' Sungmin continued, relieved the younger was found, safe and smiling again.

'Let's have breakfast.' Hyuk suddenly said curtly.

'I alrea....' As soon as Hae spoke up he got a nasty glare from the hockey player. '...ok, let's.' He quickly said.

'Don't mind him, he seems the grumpy kind in the morning.' Sungmin whispered loudly.

'I'm not and 6.30 is not morning, that is night!' Hyuk huffed.

'I love watching the sunrise.' Hae said softly.

 

They were almost at their hotel. Sungmin kept on going on and on about how great Donghae was, making the younger really shy.

'What do you think, Hyuk?' The ski jumper suddenly asked.

'He was slightly out of balance on the second spin.' Hyuk mumbled.

'What are you talking about, he was perfect!' Sungmin said offended.

Both men were surprised when Hae suddenly hugged Hyuk tight, whispered a thank you and quickly ran inside. They stood there flabbergasted until a huge amount of snow showered over them.

'Seemed like you needed some cooling off.' Kyu's laughter came from a window above but he shut his mouth as he saw that face on his leader. He gulped and quickly went back inside to lock the door and maybe put some furniture in front of it too.