✦ Final ✦

The Midnight Sun

Dear Jeongmin,

I miss you. A lot, a little too much. It hurts a lot. If only I have a time machine or anything that will enable me to fix my past mistake. It’s all my fault, you were in a lot of pain because of me. I paid scant attention towards you and continued to mourn over my past love. Maybe if I built a bridge and got it over with, you will still be here with me…

Dasom’s tears smeared the ink on the paper. She continued to sob and she eventually grasped her chest. The stinging pain was too much for her to bear. The tears just wouldn’t stop flowing.

“I miss you.” She said in between her sobs.

She could still recall the dull colours of black and white. The sun glaring at her and the smell of flowers engulfing the entire area. The shrewd wind kept on blowing as if it as delivering a message, a message of agony and devastation.

Jeongmin had a fatal accident, he got run over by a truck on the same day he had a fight with Dasom. Others thought that it was just a coincidence but Dasom still thinks that it was her fault. If only she did not have that stupid slip of the tongue, her beloved would still be there by her side. She had no one to lean on now, she felt helpless.

Jeongmin wanted Dasom to see the beauty of the world again. He pleaded with his parents to let Dasom have his eyes and that was his last request.

Dasom crumpled the paper and locked it inside her ball of fist. Her veins threatening to pop out because of the amount of pressure she was using. Afterwards, she curled up in a ball with her face nuzzled against her knee. She cried petulantly, her fist punching the wooden floor.

 Blood was oozing out of her fist and it was sputtered everywhere. She got up on her feet and reluctantly threw Jeongmin’s presents in the dustbin. She blanched for a moment before going back to her senses. She instinctively reached out for the lighter and set the dustbin on fire. Dasom lost all strength in her limbs and she fell on the floor with a loud thud.

Fire was visible in the obsidian black pupils of her eyes. Her face was distorted, evidently showing languor. She wiped the tears rolling down her cheeks and staggered towards the windowsill. She sat on it and looked out with her chin up. The thunder and lightning started to battle and soon there was a heavy downpour. She used to be very afraid of the thunder and lightning but she was very apathetic this time.

Dasom traced the outline of the windowsill with her fingers. Her eyebrows pinned together, showing determination. She took a big gulp of air and stood on it. She spread her arms just like how birds would.

“Jeongmin wait for me.” She mumbled before taking a step forward.