Chapter: Two

Lost Between Both Worlds: Lostlings {Editiing}

                                                     ~ Alice POV~

                “So how..”, I whispered.

                “Stop asking Alice. I'm not going to tell you”, he said. Baekhyun sat by the window and puffed his cheeks in frustration. The dewy morning made his cheeks and the tip of his nose flushed with pink. I smiled and he gave me a weird look. We waited in silence until I finally spoke.

                “But who-“

                “Ugh…I should of never even-“

                “I've never seen you like that before”, I interrupted, smiling cheekily. His cheeks turned bright red as he loosened his tie.

                “Is it someone I know?” I asked. He was starting to get annoyed and I didn't feel like arguing today. “Just call your special person N”

                “N? Where did you get that from?”

                “He was my favorite singer from this pop group back when I was alive”, I sighed.  “That way, you can just talk about N to me without ever telling me the real name”

                “N..”, Baekhyun hesitated.

                “How is N? Personality wise?” I asked. Baekhyun stared at me like the answer was obvious. He laughed and mocked me. He's so stupid. Why is he such a weirdo.

                “N.. is like a dumb dog. Usually, I'll be the only one to talk some sense to N, but today isn't a good day for.. the both of us”

                “Why?”

                “Isn't today your anniversary? The day, or night actually, that you were sent from god to here”, Baekhyun said sarcastically waving his arms around in a celestial manner. “That’s why you're so down today right?”

                “Haha… oh my god shut up Baekhyun! You just totally changed the subject on me!” I laughed. He didn't smile. He just kept staring at me with those weird unreadable eyes. I giggled nervously, but he was adament. Way to bring down the mood Baekhyun .

                “You don't have to go through this alone. I'm here for you”, he said. It was one of those rare moments he was actually serious.

                “Go bother your N!!” I teased.

                “Hey fat head! Are we in High School or what?” Baekhyun grumbled.

                “Aww.. Baekhyun do you like like N?” I laughed.

                “Shut up”, Baekhyun laughed.

 

                                                   ~ Lay POV~

 

                "Xiumin....I can't find any books about coding", I said. Xiumin was deep into deciphering a sentence from Kim Sung Gyu's notebook.

                "Ung..are you still going to the meeting?" Xiumin sneezed.

                 "Aye....stop working so hard. We have all the time in the world! What am I supposed to do when you're sick and miserable, uh?"

                 "If we have "all the time in the world", then where is Mr. Kim? Where are the other six lostlings? Did they end up like Tao? If so, then that must mean we have a deadline Lay. How can I possibly rest when I'm the only one able to break the riddle", Xiumin grumbled. He has been really tired and stressed out lately.I should of known to keep care to my words or I'll set him off, and I did. Stupid me. "You could never understand".

                 "I think I'm late for the meeting", I hesitated. I don't even want to go to the meeting. Kris can handle that situation by himself, he has other times so why not now? The only reason everyone comes to me when there is a case of memory loss is because Xiumin refuses to help or even speak up about it. In fact, I don't even know what I am doing half the time. It would of been much more efficient if Xiumin got off his high horse and helped out with the guys for once. That is how Xiumin is. The minute you think you are just getting to know each other he builds up this indestructible wall and blows you flat on your . Bull.

                 "Sorry, I'm just tired", Xiumin apologized.

                 "Whatever. You're not the only one working your off okay? You have Kris and me. You think we don't care? How about-"

                 "It's not like that Lay, you know it" Xiumin said. His voice was hoarse and tired. He doesn't even have the energy to yell at me. Suddenly, I didn't either. I sighed and pulled a chair infront of Xiumin's tidy desk. I stared at him as I pondered about what to say. It was useless to fight with him. He never lost his cool, hardly ever raised his voice, except when Chanyeol is around, and after the fight ends he always just sat there like a sad puppy. It zapped the little energy he had left.

               "Sorry", I murmured. He layed out his arms and rested his head on the desk. He usually did this when he had a head ache.

               "It's ridiculous...to be dead and yet feel sick, tired, hungry, and pain. It's torture. It just reminds you about all the home cooked meals mom will cook and the way she would rub your head when you haven't visited in a long time", Xiumin cried. It was the first time to see him cry. He wouldn't usually let down his wall of secrets. I stood awkwardly, half anxious and half shocked. My long arms hanging off the side of my body suddenly felt heavy.

               "Are you in pain? Where? You should of told me sooner, I know where the medicine is-"

               "Stop it...it hurts right here. Stop it Lay", Xiumin weeped. He gestured to his chest. I know what it actually is, and we have no medicine for that. There was never such a medicine for a shattered heart. Xiumin eventually stopped weeping and kept mumbling things to himself things I couldn't hear until he finally fell asleep. What could he possibly know for him to act like this?

               I ended up going to the meeting. It was the same as usual, but Kris has never asked me to come with him for the meeting. The scary meeting no one actually wants to do. The one always held at the rooftop because it's more peaceful and quiet, like that even helps. What's worse are the funeral flowers forever living in the small garden at the top. It was like the person conducting this whole thing wanted us to suffer.The moment I walked in the infirmary earlier that day, I knew, because of Xiumin, that she doesn't remember. It's going to be hard for her.

               "You...you're d...you're dead", I said. I probably shouldn't have said it like that, but how else am I supposed to say it?

                Mei's eyes rolled back and she lurched forward onto the ground. Kris started panicking, all this was too familiar with him. It was too soon and he should of known it. He should of told Suho to do it today instead. Mei started having a mini seizure, gasping and choking. Choking? I've never seen choking before, gasping, cursing, and even drooling, yes but choking is the first for me. She must be remembering something horrible and extremely violent.

               Then she was still. No shaking, no gasping. Breathing, but hardly breathing at all. We watched her settle down as she layed curled up on the ground. She wasn't talking, which was normal. When you are having one of your first flashbacks, it can often be confusing and scary. Plus, it's not an easy ride because it's painful. She blinked. It's time for the emotional break down now. Soon enough as I predicted, she was sobbing and breaking down. Over the years, we learned that the best way to comfort someone with this is to not comfort them at all. You have to be there for them of course, but you have to leave them to figure themselves out or they'll depend on you.

             All was good until Luhan showed up. He was as fast as lightning with terror in his once dead eyes. He came running and squeezed her in his loving embrace. He started to cry a little and refused to let her go. I looked back at Kris as he shrugged his shoulders. "Let go of me!" Mei shouted.

            "Mei!" Luhan begged. Mei's sobbing slowed down as she looked into Luhan's eyes.

            "How do you know my name?" She asked. Oh ..

            "W...what?" Luhan stammered. He was now less crazy and more concerned. For some reason a creeping feeling started crawl behind my neck..

            "Who are you? How do you know my name?" Mei asked honestly. She looked at Luhan and then to us, he did the same.

             "What's wrong with her?" Luhan asked. He was now alive. Alive with the emotions I thought he long forgot. Welcome back Luhan.

                      

                                              ~ Xiumin POV~

               "So, you're telling me Mei is or was your fiance?" I questioned. No. Not now! I'm back to square one again. How could you meet someone from your past life here? Unless you died from the same death at the same time? That sounds about right, but what right do I have to go around asking people how they died.

               "So she doesn't remember me?" Luhan asked. It's good how all of a sudden he's finally acting normal. As normal as you can be being stuck here. "Good.."

               I almost spat out my coffee on him. Luhan unconsciously brought me napkin and continued to stare at me with those questionable eyes. What was that? I thought that he would desperately want her back with all the loving memories they probably had together, but I guess there were no loving memories then.

              "What.."

               "It's nothing. She's obviously here because her wings were torn off by someone right? I wouldn't want her to remember the bad stuff that happened in her past life", Luhan explained. I sat there contemplating. So...he has been secretly following with the information despite his lack of absence. I finally see why Kris decided to tell a CGP about us. Other than the obvious reason.

              "I won't tell her", I promised. "But memories always creep back when you least expect it, what are you going to do when she remembers the bad?"

              "She doesn't remember me", Luhan mumbled. He looked back at the sleeping Mei. "I'll be there for her until she does. If she remembers and ends up hating me, I'll happily let her be. But no one actually knows how lucky she is to not remember"

              "Not remember..."

               "Me. To not remember me", Luhan said.

                                                          ~ Mei POV~

 

 

               He sat on the chair, reading a book. His auburn hair looked ratty, but its alright, his face made up for it. It was the guy who came running, calling my name. Did I ever get his name? I searched and searched but I couldn't remember. I did remember however, that one last memory I had before I out. The memory of when I died. I shuddered as I recalled the moment. Stop! Not now...just..focus on what your going to do now. What am I going to do?

                "Are you awake?" He asked. He didn't look at me. He just kept his head down.

                "Did I know you? Before I died", I asked. His eyes widened at my bold question. I was kind of taken aback from my own voice. It was strangely normal. I thought  I would of shut down everything and shrink to nothing but an empty shell, but that's obviously not case. In reality, the world moves on either with or without you.

                "Is it because I knew your name? Kris told me", He said. "We all have to know the people who comes and goes to keep track".

                 "Ahh...makes sense. Well...Hello. My name is Mei. What is yours?" I asked. He still didn't look at me and I started to get insecure. My hair is a mess that's it right?

                 "Luhan..", He hesitated. Something about the air around him seemed off but I shrugged and blamed it on the fact that we just barely knew each other.

                  "That's a nice name, Luhan. Can you tell me what we actually are?" I asked. I know that I'm supposed to be...um sad and maybe even angry, but the reason I'm not is simply because I don't feel dead. I still feel the same as yesterday. I still feel me, just with a lot more awareness. I don't even know if I buy the whole "I'm dead" thing, but then I remember my death...Stop! No more.

                  "You...You're okay?" He asked. I still haven't met face to face yet. Why is he so scared of me?

                  "How am I supposed to feel?" I asked, more to myself then to him. He lightly chuckled and that made my heart jump a little.

                  "You are a lostling. You were born with wings and they were torn by someone", Luhan explained.

                   "By who?" I asked. Like he would know Mei, he doesn't even know who exactly you are. But unexpectedly, he dropped the book he tried so hard to focus his attention on and just stared ahead.

                   "Luhan? Luhan are you okay?" I called out. Has he lost his memories too? Is he just remembering one of them right now? Did I look like that when I was recalling? I came down from my bed and slowly walked to him. My hands slowly reached up to his face and touched his static skin. The rush through my hand shocked me. I slightly pulled back my hand, but touched his face again with the other one too. With his face cupped between both of my hands, I finally got to be face to face with him. He didn't seem too shocked by my sudden action, but he wasn't comfortable either. He kept looking at the ground.

                 "Why do you not look at me?" I asked with my eyes still trained on him. The room was quiet and the air sat heavy on my shoulders. Luhan shook from my grasp and stood up. Still looking away, he fixed his shirt and started to walk to the door.

                 "We're not supposed to get close to lostlings who are still dealing with their problems. They will end up depending on others and fall", Luhan said. He left.

                 "Why are you supposed to keep away from new lostlings?" I asked Xiumin. Xiumin looked busy today and it seemed as if everyone had gone to him, Lay, or Kris whenever they needed something. I couldn't find Lay and Kris so here I am bothering Xiumin. He looked quite busy too. Xiumin was in the middle of organizing his already clean desk. He was shifting his books so that they would exactly match the corner of the desk and he kept turning his coffee mug so that it'll look a certain way. He then sharpened two pencils, but they had to be the exact same height or he would keep sharpening them until they turn to basically nothing and throw them away. He may be a little OCD.

                "It's not that it's against the rules, it's just for a precaution", Xiumin sighed. Xiumin was already on the second pack of pencils. He finally got frustrated with one and snapped it in half. I'll keep my distance....

                "A precaution for the lostling actually", Lay said as he came in the infirmary and sat at the corner of the desk, pushing the books slightly. Xiumin looked like he was going to chuck one of them at Lay, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did either.

                "Hey! I had them-"

                "Sorry", Lay pouted to Xiumin. Xiumin just rolled his eyes and sighed in submission. He plopped into his padded chair and swirled towards the plain white wall. I kept my eyes trained carefully on the both of them. Everyone here is so....whatever they are. There is not even a word for them. Crazy is an understatement.

                "Luhan said that you have to keep track of who comes and goes. We can leave?"

                 "Well..we're not sure what happens to you if you leave. We're still trying to figure that out. It's quite hard actually, have you ever met the guy who came yesterday? His name was Yoseob and you will never meet him again. He "left" you see. Completely gone, as if he was never here", Lay explained.

                 "But he was different. Kris claimed that the way Yoseob left was not the "normal" way. He was wavering at first, like an illusion, and eventually started to dissolve from the bottom up. He seemed aware of it too. Kris stated that...Yoseob was...happy", Xiumin explained. There was a slight pause from the both of them. "He was different from how Chen left. One moment Chen was laughing, the next, gone. Blink your eyes and that's it. The third person who had "left" is Tao. You see, he didn't really leave"

                "He's still here?" I asked.

                "He is not all here. His body is here but Tao is gone", Lay said. They were now more serious, but Xiumin was already sulking when he brought up Chen. I suddenly felt bad for bringing this up.

                "His memories were erased and replaced by new ones. He still has his name, but he doesn't have us. He even has a family, a house, a dog, and new friends. He's happy, but it's not real. He is now what we call a CGP. We tried to bring him back, but it was no use so we had to give up. We had to accept that it was too late for our friend", Lay said.

               "Which is why I've come to the conclusion that we have a deadline. Each of us. We all have our own deadlines, that's why Kris and I, who have come first are still here and Tao, who have come much later, is gone", Xiumin mumbled. "But how much time do we have? The numbers don't add up."

               "Xiumin", Lay said.

               "It made sense yesterday. I had it! But today, Luhan-"

               "Xiumin!" Lay warned. Xiumin snapped out of his trance and shut his eyes. He took a deep breath and went back to sharpening his pencils. He may be a little..odd.

               "I'm sorry", I apologized. I definitely came at the wrong time. When I left I accidently left the door slightly ajar.

              "It doesn't make sense! It's impossible! How could they meet now that they're here?"

               "Xiumin, what if...well you have been searching for facts, the rules for this place and what it can do and can not. What if there are no rules? What if it's just is what it is?" Lay said.

               "No. Kim Sung Gyu had known something and wrote it in this book! He knew, but something stopped him. I have to find out what happens to you if you leave this place".

               "Is it about Xin Ye?" Lay asked. Xiumin didn't answer. "You cannot go back. You know that."

              "Then you must know that even if I do go back, she's not going to be waiting for me", Xiumin said. Lay didn't say anything. I think I've heard too much, I need to go. As I walked down the hallway, a petite fairy like girl approached me.

               "You are Mei right?" She asked. I nodded.

               "Hi. I'm Hana", she said carefully. She looked kind of angry and sad, but then again everyone looks angry, sad, and...well lost. "I have to tell you the truth".

 

                                                ~ Hana POV~

                                            ~ Yesterday ~

 

              As Kris told everyone the meeting was over, I walked over to him and ask for a few minutes.

             "Is it important?" He whispered. After I nodded in response he sighed and waited until everyone was out. Now it was only Kris, Mei, and I. She sat playing with a necklace.

             "What is it?" Kris asked. I waited until I was sure Mei wasn't listening in.

             "Is it possible to meet someone from your past life here?" I asked.

             "That can be possible, but I haven`t heard of it actually happen. Why all of a sudden?"

              "I just..wondered. So it's possible right?"

              "Yes. Are you done?" Kris asked. I felt my chest heave and my head heavy.

              I ran up the stairs and onto the roof. Even if it's possible, how do you know that it is the Mei Luhan knows? Even if it is the Mei Luhan knows, so what? It's not like he's going to run up to her and declare her his, but I have this feeling that I can't shake. It's like my inner gut is telling me that it is her.  Then again, it's not like he still has feelings for her. After all, I've been the one to be there for him when he needed me. Luhan was sleeping soundly, unaware of the new lostling that had just came. I closed the door and tried to even up my breathing. Luhan opened his eyes and looked up.

               "Hm? How did it go? How many people?" He asked.

               "Two...", I said. Should I tell him that there might be a possibility that the Mei he knew was here? It's not like they have anything to do with each other anymore. She was the one that had hurt him so much. She was probably the reason he was torn of his wings. That's also why he had all those nightmares about her and the horrible things she did to him.

               "So?" Luhan murmured.

               "One boy and one girl, I didn't get their names", I lied. It's for Luhan's sake. He didn't say anything and just sat there. I always wanted to know what he was thinking. He took out a piece of paper and admired it. I looked closer and realized it was a picture. Luhan glanced at me and gave me the picture, I never knew he had this. He gave me no explanation and just slept.

               I looked at the picture and gasped. It was Mei. The Mei that had just come. My inner gut was right. Kris' words kept replaying in my head, "It is possible, it is possible, it is possible"

               In the picture, Mei's black hair has those tiny pink and white flowers strewn all around into crown. She's smiling up at the camera so big and cheesy that her eyes are basically slits. There's also Luhan. Luhan's soft wispy brown hair also has a crown of flowers. Luhan is seen sleeping onto her lap, unaware that she was taking a picture. It was the first time for me to see Luhan happy, even if he was sleeping. A perfect candid shot. The picture made my heart hurt.

               Look at what she did to Luhan now. He was far from what it looked like in this picture. It was all because of her. I'll make sure she never hurts him like that again. I promise. An hour maybe two passed and I woke up. I guess I fell asleep next to Luhan. My arm was around his waist and my head layed on his chest. I didn't want to move, yet my skin felt hot and itchy from the sun, even though now we were under shade. There was a scream, more like loud emotional crying. It had woken Luhan up. At first he was just as confused as I was about the sudden noise but something flashed in his eyes and he froze. It even looked like he had stopped breathing for a moment. I was going to ask what's wrong, but the familiar voice that belonged to Kris struck me.

               He got up and walked in the direction the crying was coming from. Fear registered in his face and he looked like he was about to cry. He was walking and walking, soon, it turned into running. It was about this time I also ran after him. When I reached him, he was just standing there gawking at the spectacle in front of us. There was Mei. Laying on the floor sobbing and crying with Lay and Kris quietly panicking beside her. Luhan was about to go when I grabbed his hand.

              "Don't go!" I begged. The desperation was obvious in my voice. He shook his hand away from me without hesitation and ran towards Mei. He didn't even think about me.

 

                                             ~ Present ~

 

 

               "You knew didn't you?" Luhan asked. His judging eyes were on me. "Why didn't you tell me? I understand that you could of never known her just from a name but I also showed you that picture. You could of told me it was her then".

               "You didn't need to know. You didn't even want to go to the meeting", I snapped.

               "I didn't need to know? I didn't-"

               "I'm sorry okay? I just wasn't sure", I lied. He was taken aback at the resentment in my voice. I was too, kinda.

               "I'm sorry Hana. I'm not being understanding, after all how could you be sure right?" Luhan apologized.

                "Why do you not want her to remember you?" I asked. I saw how loving he was while hugging her and screaming her name on the roof yesterday. He's so stupid. I already knew the answer. It was because if she knew the truth, she would go back to hating him. If she hates Luhan so much then he shouldn't even waste time or care. Maybe he thinks that if he could be nice and love her now, when she remembers, she might change. Ha! Why don't Luhan just see that he is wasting his energy! She should just disappear! Gone! I didn't hate her before, but now that I see what she's doing to Luhan, I can't help it. Luhan was doing just fine and now he's turned into this shining knight in armor who does not own a sword.

               For once I walked away from Luhan. Maybe I can get some tips on "how to get your memories back" from Lay. He knows a lot from experience although he won't tell how. As I walked to the infirmary, who do I see? Of course Mei. She stood there looking so dumb and fake.

             "You're Mei right?" I asked. She just stood there with blank eyes and nodded. Maybe knowing she was dead made her unstable.

             "Hi. I'm Hana", I said carefully so she could understand. "I have to tell you the truth".