Chapter 2

This Night May Be Your Last

School for Tao was an awfully boring place. His friends were in other classes, leaving him miserable and alone in the taunting classroom. The boy looked around the room, sighing as he looked at each of his classmates. They were all idiots, truly. Only one other person was refusing to take notes, like Tao. The new kid. Oh Sehun. Tao watched as the boy sat, arms crossed, staring absentmindedly at the bookshelf. He sat alone, as did Tao. Sehun caught Tao looking at him, but the latter didn’t look away. That eye contact provided them with enough communication. Tao moved to sit next to the boy.

"We met before,” Sehun talked first. “You’re Hyorin’s brother.”

"I’m Tao. You’re Oh Sehun,” Tao stated, giving Sehun a nod. “It’s nice to meet you. Luhan said you were … an interesting person.”

"Your brother is interesting as well,” Sehun replied, returning Tao’s nod of acceptance. Class started.

Come lunch time, the two had bonded considerably. Sehun didn’t talk much, but he didn’t tell Tao off either. Tao, being grateful for an extra ear, began talking more and more, never seeming to exhaust any topic.

"Hey, Tao, what are you – oh,” Jongin broke off after having miraculously appeared and stepped in place alongside his friend. He indicated his head towards Sehun. “Who’s this? New kid?”

"Oh Sehun,” introduced Tao. “This is Jongin, he’s in our grade too, kinda lopsided, weird, an honest idiot really – ” Tao earned a punch from Jongin. “But he’s a good kid.”

“What a charming description,” muttered Sehun. Jongin was a tall kid, not as tall as either Tao or Sehun, but he was right up there with them. He had shaggy black hair – shaggy enough to look unkempt. He wore shorts and a tank top despite the cooling weather. He looked to be the popular type, a major warning sign for Sehun.

“Where are you guys eating today?” Jongin asked, having given Sehun the acceptance nod.

"I was going to go downtown, that pizza place,” Tao started. “But then they have absolutely horrid service, and I can’t miss my next class. I’m kind of hungry for a burger, but I can’t have that, you know? Coach said I couldn’t. Maybe pasta? Ugh, no …”

"Where are you going?” Jongin nudged Sehun with his elbow. Sehun’s response was a shrug.

"I think I’ll go to the pizza place after all. I’ll hurry is all,” Tao said decisively. “Are you coming?”

"I’ll ask Kyungsoo, he’s probably hungry, Baek was by your car last I saw him,” Jongin said. “I’ll meet you there then? Kyungsoo drove, I think.” The boy ran off, in a hurry to find Kyungsoo.

“Are you coming?” Tao asked Sehun, the two now left alone.

“Sure, why not?” Sehun shrugged, following Tao to his car. Baek, a short, happy looking boy, was by the car as mentioned by Jongin.

“Ah, what took you so long? I’m really hungry!” whined Baek, which, as Sehun found out, was short for Baekhyun. “This is what I get for not owning a car. I’ve been waiting for years. Is it really my fault for being born into poverty? I am forced to rely on this kid.” Baekhyun broke off into grumbling, climbing into the passenger seat with folded arms.

Tao’s car was a nice one. Not a scratch was visible on its polished silver surface. It was a car that Sehun recognized as an Aston Martin Rapide, an incredibly costly ride, in Sehun’s opinion. Sehun found himself marveling over the sleek surface and interior of a car he knew to cost at least $200,000.

Tao noticed the younger staring at the car. He grinned, pushing the boy forward. “It’s a beauty isn’t it? Hurry and sit, we have to hurry.”

“Is it yours?” Sehun stared at Tao is disbelief. “Is it not your family’s?”

“All mine,” Tao pushed his chest forward in pride. He climbed behind the wheel without a further word, leaving Sehun to scramble to get into the back seat of the car. Baekhyun continued to whine during their ride to the place, Tao periodically joining in, but what bothered Sehun the most was Tao’s frightening driving. Sehun held on to any stable thing he could find in the car, and all he could remember was how Yixing mentioned Luhan’s horrible driving. It must be genetic. He only hoped for there not to be an ocean nearby.

“We’re here!” exclaimed Baekhyun, jumping out of the car and sprinting towards the little pizza place found on the corner. Tao cut the engine and hurried after him, and Sehun followed suite. He walked in to see Baekhyun already chatting with someone at a table, Tao sitting across from him, his fingers drumming on the wood.

“Sehun!” Tao waved him over, patting the spot next to him. “This is Chanyeol, he’s – ”

“You’re the new kid, Oh Sehun!” exclaimed the boy named Chanyeol with a wide grin splitting his face. “It’s great to meet you, I’m Chanyeol! How do you like the school? You’re a junior, right? How long have you been here? How did you meet Tao? Did you – ” Chanyeol was brutally cut off by a smack from Baekhyun causing Sehun to squirm in his seat.

“You’re scaring him!” he scolded. He turned to Sehun. “Sorry, he’s just excited; he likes to talk a lot. It’s okay once you get used to him. I’m Baekhyun, by the way.” Sehun nodded politely at them both.

“Did you order the food?” Tao asked.

“Yes, the usual,” Chanyeol supplied. “Soo and Jongin are coming right?”

“Should be,” said Tao. Sehun watched as the three exchanged their news of the day whilst they were waiting for food. Once the pizza was ready, Sehun found out that the ‘usual’ consisted of three large pizza’s, with everything from the toppings’ menu piled on, five servings of chicken, and extreme amounts of soda. Sehun chuckled at Tao refusal to go eat a burger for fear of unhealthy foods.

Kyungsoo and Jongin arrived when they were eating, Jongin visibly upset at their late arrival. Sehun ended up liking Kyungsoo most, he was a pleasant boy, quiet, but kind. Sehun engaged in simple conversation with him during the meal.

The meal was brought to an abrupt halt when Tao realized the time.

“We’re going to be late!” he yelled. He and Sehun hastily excused themselves, rushing to the car. Sehun grimaced at the thought of being found in the same car as Tao again. Once on the road Tao asked. “So what do you think? Of my friends, I mean.”

“They’re kind people,” said Sehun. “A little loud though.”

Tao smiled as he looked to the right. “Once you get to know them, they really are great.”

___

Luhan, unlike his brother, tried his very hardest in school – completely immersing himself in his studies during the school hours. He dutifully copied down the notes on the board, taking the time to memorize them on the spot, fully knowing that he would never actually read over them again.

University for Luhan was not as fun as most would expect, and although he found time to meet his friends, most of his extra hours were spent working. He had to support himself and his siblings, his parents having left the family in a scurry of complications right after Hyorin’s birth. Or perhaps Luhan was the one that left, taking his siblings from the clutches of their parents. Either war they lived well, better, in fact, than most complete families.  

Luhan was shaken from his thoughts when Minseok poked him in the side.

"Ow,” he grimaced, clutching the bruised side that had received the poke. “What was that for?” Minseok stared at him with blank eyes. Minseok was slightly older in age than Luhan, his hair a reddish brown. He was fairly short, one might even go as far as saying squirrely, but even so he was incredibly smart.

"You were staring into space again,” Minseok explained with a carefree shrug. “Besides it’s just a poke.” Luhan shrugged in answer to the silent question asked by Minseok. Luhan preferred to keep the bruise a secret.

"We were discussing the party hosted by the Byung twins this weekend,” Jongdae said. “I’m up for going; and it looks like everyone else is going.”

"But I’d rather watch that rerun, the one of Downton Abbey. It’s at the same time,” Yixing argued.

"You’ve seen that a hundred times. You even forced me to sit through an episode,” Jongdae whined. “Come with me, I don’t want to be alone. Luhan’ll refuse again, and Minseok’ll be studying.”

"And I’m going to be watching my show,” said Yixing pointedly.

"I need new friends,” muttered Jongdae stabbing at his food.

"Then go meet some at that party of yours,” replied Yixing.

"I can go with you, Jongdae,” Luhan offered. “I don’t have work this weekend, so I have nothing better to do.”

"Really?!” Jongdae’s eyes lit up in enthusiasm. He fist pumped the air. “I won’t be alone! Thanks, Luhan! I promise it’ll be fun! Are you going to bring anyone else? What are you going to wear?”

"I, uh, haven’t given it much thought?” Luhan said, beginning to regret his agreement to attending a party. Jongdae latched onto Luhan’s arm.

“You aren’t backing out right?” his eyes narrowed as he stared at his friend.

“I’m going, really this time,” Luhan smiled at Jongdae’s antics, continuing to eat his food.

“Since Luhan’s going, I’ll come too,” Minseok decided. “He never goes, so this might be entertaining – I want to see him drink.”

“Hey, hey,” Yixing frowned. “Am I the only one left out now?”

"Yes you are,” Jongdae chided. “And rightfully so. This is what you get for not wanting to come with me in the first place.”

"Fine then, I’ll record the episode,” muttered Yixing, not wanting to be left out. Jongdae whooped at his success.

"Where is it?” Luhan asked, skillfully ignoring Jongdae as he dance in triumph.

"At the Byung house, of course,” Yixing rolled his eyes. “They live in a mansion, literally. I swear their parents are the wealthiest bastards alive.”

"This guy here ain’t doing too shabby either,” commented Minseok, clapping Luhan on the back, ignoring Luhan’s protests.

"Of course he’s doing well,” Yixing said. “He works like 12 hours a day.”

"We should have a party at your place, Luhan!” Jongdae exclaimed. “You have the biggest apartment, and it’s on the rich side of town.”

"Where would the kids go?” Luhan reminded him, and then made a face. “And do you really want Tao to be there?”

"He can stay with those kids of yours,” Jongdae pouted. “You have too many of them. Oldie.”

"They have their uses,” Luhan laughed. “I can use Hyorin to get people to like me.”

"Except she eats a lot,” added Jongdae. “And is pure evil inside.”

"You must be the only one she doesn’t like, Jongdae,” Minseok smiled. “She even likes all of Tao’s friends, and come on, those guys can be scary.”

"She threw my shoe out of the window because it wasn’t pink, and that, dear friends, is not a valid excuse!” Jongdae protested. “She threw my food on the ground and stepped on it because ‘it wasn’t healthy’. As if Yixing’s cupcake was healthy!”

"In her defense, Yixing’s cupcake was pink,” said Luhan.

"What difference does it make? It’s a freaking cupcake,” Jongdae huffed in his seat.

"Someone’s upset,” cooed Minseok. He laughed before gathering his things. “I don’t have class, so I’m going to the office.” Minseok was the one with the most sophisticated job, as he worked in an office as a part time accountant. He was the only one who had managed to get a good-paying job before receiving a formal degree.

"Can I get a ride with you?” Luhan asked, jumping up. “I have to go somewhere downtown anyway.”

"Where’s your car?” Minseok frowned.

"He destroyed it last week,” mentioned Yixing. “Again.”

"It wasn’t the blue one, was it?” Jongdae asked, sighing when Luhan nodded. “I liked that one. You should get it fixed. How’d you do it?”

"The ocean popped out of nowhere and swallowed up the car, honest,” Luhan explained, beginning to follow Minseok. “It wasn’t my fault!” He waved in parting to Jongdae and Yixing as they left.

"He’s going to get killed one day,” Jongdae commented.

"I don’t think anything is capable of killing him,” mused Yixing. “I bet you could hire a trained assassin to kill him and he won’t die.”

"He’s a very lucky guy,” Jongdae said. “I just don’t want to see that luck run out.” Yixing nodded in silent agreement.

___

Once dropped off by Minseok in the downtown area, Luhan made his way to the little souvenir shop on the end of the street. It was a hollow shop, and no one actually ran it. Thus the townsfolk never entered it. It was small, and there were little chairs and trinkets scattered all over the shop.

“I’ll have you know that I’m missing work to meet with you,” said Luhan once he entered the shop. Kris grunted in response.

“Yeah, okay, I’m afraid I couldn’t care less about your other work,” Kris said. He was an extremely tall man, and when standing towered over Luhan, also heavily covered in muscle. He looked tough, and he was. Luhan though, was considered his senior, and wasn’t nearly as afraid of Kris as he should be. They may even be considered friends.

Luhan sat across from him. “Are we doing any work this weekend?”

“I haven’t found any clients yet,” Kris scratched his head. “I took care of one by myself, it was really easy, a request suitable for a child, to be honest. And the last big request was taken care of a couple days ago, by you – and albeit sloppily, the client was pleased, so it’s okay.”

“It was always okay, Kris,” Luhan smiled. “Besides it was not done sloppily! I am very careful, not to mention skillful, you should see the glitter mask I made the other day!”

“Oh, yes, I also met with Suho today,” Kris ignored Luhan’s comment. “He was dreadfully unhappy with you, Lu. I forgave you, but he holds a grudge for quite a while longer.”

“He’s never happy,” grumbled Luhan. “I don’t think he’s ever liked me. And he’s only been here for what, a year? Two? Even you’re his senior, I mean come on now.”

"At least I’m clean,” Kris said.

“I work faster than you,” Luhan argued.

"I’m more handsome!”

"You are not, have you ever even looked in a mirror?”

"At least I don’t look like a girl!”

“It’s a hell of a lot better than looking like a thug!”

“I’m more muscular!”

“I’d still win in a fight!”

“As if,” Kris huffed. “You’re scrawny arms would break the minute I touched them.”

“You lost to me on your first day, three years ago,” Luhan teased. “Have you forgotten already?”

“I’m older,” said Kris.

“And yet I’m your senior, what does that say about your abilities, hm?” Luhan laughed, hitting Kris softly on his arm. “Anyway, what did you ask to see me for?”

"Mostly to warn you about Suho,” Kris said. “As I said, he was really, really unhappy. Expect a visit from him.”

“Who does he think he is?” asked Luhan, annoyed. “He isn’t my boss; I’m my own boss really.”

“He’s the son of the Boss, Lu,” Kris reminded him. “He’s new, but he means well, probably.”

"But the Boss has been retired for years now, even before you came here!” exclaimed Luhan. “All he does now is give orders.”

“He organizes everything, give him credit,” Kris chided. “Without him, getting paid would be more difficult.”

“I’ve known his son since I was … since I was ten!” Luhan protested. “That shrimp was never good at anything, only stood next to his father. And now he thinks he has leverage. Well, no, he doesn’t.”

"Just don’t be surprised when he lashes out, maybe he got his father’s temper,” Kris said.

Luhan shivered. “I only got verbally scolded by that man thrice. And those could easily go for the worst moments of my life.”

“I remember you talking about the first. That was your first car wreck. I think Suho told me the Boss ripped your head off,” Kris said.

“He never gave me a car again,” Luhan sighed.

“Well, you have that nice blue one, right? I like that one, vintage style, no?” Kris asked.

“It kind of got ruined, but I’m going to fix it. Maybe. Once I fetch it from the ocean,” Luhan muttered.

Kris laughed. “I’m surprised you are able to support yourself. Your numerous cars must’ve cost a fortune by now.”

“I’m fine,” Luhan waved it off. “So no work this weekend?”

“Not unless a sudden client appears. Why are you so curious? You usually just go along with whenever I call,” Kris observed.

“I actually have plans for this weekend, some party a friend is dragging me to. You can come if you want,” offered Luhan. “You may feel a bit out of place though, it’s for students.”

"Tao students or you students?” Kris asked.

“Me students. Tao’s too young. He’s staying with someone else probably,” Luhan said.

"When am I going to meet your family, Lu?” Kris asked. “We’ve known each other for three years; I ought to meet your family. You’ve met my father.”

“Only because he works with us on occasion,” Luhan gives Kris a stern look. “Do you really think you’re the kind of friend I want to introduce to my siblings?”

“I’m a great guy, I can teach them self-defense or something,” offered Kris. Luhan gives him an even sterner look, but softens quickly.

“Tao knows more than you do, probably,” Luhan bragged. “I taught him a bit, and then handed him over to an instructor.”

"I thought he didn’t know about your second job?” 

“No, and that’s why I stopped teaching him. I want him to teach Aaron, but Tao says that Aaron has no future in martial arts, like me,” Luhan pouted.

“ ‘Like you’?” Kris asked, amused. “Not very bright, huh?”

"I guess not,” Luhan laughed. “I do have to go, though. Was there anything else?”

“I’ll call you if anything comes up,” Kris nodded Luhan off. “Have fun with your whatever.” Luhan smiled, waving as he exited the abandoned shop.

___

a/n: In case the ages get overly confusing here's a basic list:

Highschool Junior: Sehun, Tao, Jongin (16-17)

Highschool Senior: Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol (17-18)

University 1st year: Yixing, Jongdae (19-20)

University 2nd year: Minseok (21)

University 4th year: Luhan (20)

Kris: 23, works with Luhan, joined 3 years ago 

Suho: 22, Luhan and Kris' boss' son/coworker, began legitimately working 1.5 years ago 

 

I know the ages aren't the real ones, it just played out that way, but they are somewhat similar to what they are in reality :)