Chapter 1

This Night May Be Your Last

There are exceptions to every rule – he thought – well, except this one. This would always be the same. He brushed his dark hair out of his eyes with a flick of his wrist, careful to not pull out any strands. It was nearly his ten year anniversary, in fact it was next Thursday, and thus he had to stay on his toes. He was the veteran of his coworkers, yet also the youngest of them all. No one had been known to exceed six years in this profession, before him that is. That is not to say that no one has tried to kill him before, they have, and many times too, he had just managed to foresee all past attempts.

“Tonight is the meeting isn’t it?” he muttered, polishing the steel barrel against his sleeve. “She’ll be devastated if I don’t go; I’d already skipped the last one. Not to mention the director will kill me.” The evening sun shone into the young male’s eyes, blinding him momentarily. He squinted, trying not to lose the scene that was unfolding in the lot in front of him.

“I told you already, I hate him! I don’t want you to see him anymore!” A woman, barely in her thirties, was arguing with an older man whom he knew to be her husband. In response to her outburst the man stuffed his hands in his pockets and shuffled uneasily.

“He’s my friend, Eunsang, my best friend,” the man in the lot whispered. “I can’t abandon him now; he needs me to stay with him.”

“You always placed your friends before family matters, don’t we matter to you?” the woman, Eunsang, had thrown her arms into the air as a sign of deep exasperation. “What will become of me and our daughter when you are arrested for messing with his folk?”  The man watching everything checked the surrounding area for people and cars and animals, any sort of disturbance really. Satisfied with what he saw he breathed deeply, arranging himself into the best position. He found his somewhat short height to be to his advantage, allowing him to conceal himself in an easier manner. His took out his old camera, the one he had been using for the past ten years, and snapped a clear shot of each of the faces.

He looked to the sun once again, watching as a cloud moved in the way of the coloured rays of near nightfall. The three of them were in the parking lot on the outskirts of the city. It was Wednesday night, as he remembered, being the reason as to why no one else was in the area. The lot had been halfway demolished by both time and ununiformed gangs, leaving it abandoned. Overall, this was a decent enough spot for what was to occur.

“His folk? What do you mean by – ” Having heard enough, the watching man turned away, walking through the slim undergrowth that managed to grow there, managing to make it several feet before the dull thump of the bodies hit the ground.

     

“Hyorin?” Luhan peered around the door into the apartment, finding it lacking the normal enthusiastic noise. “Aaron? Is anyone home?” He closed the door behind him, finding the living area empty save for the note tapped onto the glass window.

“Hey hyung,” Tao entered from the kitchen, eating what looked to be a biscuit. The boy was the younger of the two, though if you wouldn’t have known had they not told you. He was taller and more heavily built, his arms bearing muscle from years of martial arts. His eyes often bore an annoyed look when dealing with strangers, though became approachable once you got to know the boy. His head sported a mass of blonde disheveled hair. “You’re home.”

“What is this?” Luhan held up the note, pointedly showing the illegible drawl on the paper.

“Aaron felt like he needed to leave a note,” Tao shrugged, plopping himself on the couch. “He went out, and Hyorin is at her friends’ house. I was abandoned by my friends so I came home early.” He looked up at his brother with a slight pout. “You’re home early. Usually you’re at work.”

“It’s the parents’ meeting tonight, for Hyorin, so I asked for a day off,” Luhan shrugged his schoolbag off his shoulders. “They’ll survive a night without me.”

“You know you’re their shining angel, hyung,” Tao shot him a lopsided smile. “You’re the only reason they sell anything, I mean their food is horrendous, have you ever tasted such disgusting pasta? And it’s pasta, how can you mess that up? It’s the easiest thing to make!”

“Yes, okay,” Luhan chuckled at the boy. “Whose house is Hyorin at tonight? When should I pick her up?”

“I can do it,” Tao said, his anger at pasta having ended. “She’s at that kid’s house.”

“What kid’s house?” Luhan stopped his unpacking off his school books. He gave Tao a pointed look. “Don’t you know their name?”

“It’s the new family, they’re not far from here, a couple blocks down. They have a kid my age, Sehun, and apparently he has a younger sibling,” Tao the television absentmindedly. “As I said, I can pick her up.”

“Tao, I really would like you to know who you’re allowing our sister to visit. They could be kidnappers, we don’t know,” Luhan frowned. This had happened before, and Hyorin had been missing for a good three days before Luhan managed to track her down. The police had wondered how Hyorin was left with these strangers and Tao gave them no answer other than a shrug. Tao again simply waved his hand in response making Luhan sigh as he went about his business. The television was switched to the news, and Luhan managed to catch the dialogue that escaped the speakers.

Another murder has occurred, this time two bodies were found…”

Luhan twisted to face the screen, catching the face of the reporter as she recounted the evidence that has been acquired. This was the third time in the past month. Luhan cursed himself inwardly as his phone rang; he knew it was Kris before he answered it.

“What’s your problem?” Kris’s voice had an angsty tone to it, he was evidently annoyed.

“I have many, which are you asking about?” Luhan allowed himself a small smile as he pictured the annoyance on his coworker’s face.

“I know it was you, you left them – again!” Kris huffed on the other side of the line. “It’s policy to go quick and clean. Clean. Meaning no trouble.”

“There is no trouble, I honestly have no idea as to what you are talking about, Kris,” Luhan cocked his head sideways. “I fear you may being going mad.”

“The commotion that you are making – it’s stupid. You’ve been good for as long as I’ve known you, but now you’re pulling this on us. Stop it, Luhan, before you regret it,” There was a dull click as the call ended, leaving Luhan listening to the beep of the dead line. It was a calming sensation, one of the most calming he’s heard in a while.

Luhan stood there for a while after that, listening to the steady beep of the machine, wishing his own life was as steady and predictable as the one he was listening to. He was cut off only when Aaron slammed the entrance open, strutting into the spacious apartment. Luhan walked to greet him in time to see the youngest flick his shoes onto the floor, leaving them strewn about.

“Hi hyung!” Aaron smiled cheerfully at his eldest sibling, disregarding the disapproving look directed at the shoes. “How was your day today? I wasn’t expecting you to be home, honestly.”

“All was well,” Luhan ruffled his brother’s hair, smiling. Aaron had barely reached eleven and was still one of the shortest boys in his class. He was the recognizable athletic type, always running and dirty – his hair too was a blonde messy heap on his head, much like Tao’s. The two of them took after their father while Luhan and Hyorin were more like their mother.

“Oh, today I had this woodworking class, and you know what we did?” The boy rambled on, without pausing for breath. “We built a birdhouse, each of us, with saws and drills and everything! Mine was the best, of course, but Mr. Kim made me give it to Ken because Ken broke his and was crying and Mr. Kim said I can come and build an even better one with him on Monday!”

“Congratulations!” Luhan grinned. “I didn’t do anything today, well, apart from listen to lectures all day. Remember Ms. Hahn, that elderly lady that I introduced you to a couple months ago? She was sick today, went to the hospital, and broke her arm in the process I heard.”

“Oh, that’s horrible,” Aaron grunted. “But she was an awful old hag, p’rhaps she’ll learn something from the hospital. She made me throw out my ice cream that time! Told me I’d get fat, that fattie.” He puffed out his cheeks in a pout, causing Luhan to chuckle and ruffle his hair again.

“She made me throw out my candy in class too! Ah - I’m going to pick up Hyorin,” Luhan said suddenly, realising his was awfully late. He had been with the phone for longer than he thought. “Tao, what was the address?”

“Down there,” Tao pointed south. “Building … 138 and … Apartment 84 … C? Ask around. Brother’s name is Sehun.”

Luhan sighed, waving easily to the two before heading out.

Unfortunately for Luhan, Sehun’s apartment was not Building 138 Apartment 84C, forcing Luhan to stop at every door and ask for the new family.

“Who are you?” A boy answered the door, perhaps in his late teens, annoyance etched into his features.

“I’m looking for the new family, the one that moved into this building recently, they have a kid named Sehun I am told,” Luhan repeated for the 14th time that evening.

“What business do you have with them?” asked the boy.

“My sister was with them afterschool, I have to pick her up,” explained Luhan, hoping the boy knew of the family.

“Shouldn’t you know who you’re sending your sister off with?” the boy had now folded his arms, blocking the doorway.

“My brother was the one who let her, I was at school. He kind of forgot the address,” Luhan stepped from one foot to the other in a nervous habit. Surely Hyorin wasn’t lost again.

“Sehun!” a woman calls. “Who’s at the door?” The boy whirls around, shouting something incoherent to, presumably, his mother.

“You’re Sehun?” Luhan asks facing said boy. “Is Hyorin here? I really have to go.” The woman comes up behind Sehun, smiling widely as she sees Luhan.

“Well aren’t you a lovely piece of flesh!” she exclaims, walking towards him whilst pulling Sehun by the ear. “Are you one of our neighbors? We just moved in. Was Sehun giving you a hard time? I am sorry; he’s a … difficult child, incredibly unsocial. Don’t know how he makes friends honestly.” Luhan offers her a slight smile, feeling bad for Sehun.

“No, he was quite polite,” Luhan gives her a small bow. “I’m Luhan; I’m here to pick up Hyorin?”

“Oh, yes, she is a lovely girl,” the lady pulled Luhan into the apartment by his arm. “I’m Mrs. Oh, Sehun’s mother, and am Dae’s mother as well. The two were so excited to play together, they’re in the same class this year, is Hyorinnie five too?”

“Yes, she is,” Luhan smiled at Mrs. Oh’s enthusiasm. “If you’re of the same class, are you attending the parents’ meeting tonight then? It’s at six.”

“Of course, here sit down,” Mrs. Oh paused and looked at Luhan a moment. “Is Hyorin your … ?”

“My sister,” Luhan supplied. “But I take care of her.” Mrs. Oh nodded at this new information, pleased.

“What about your brother?” Sehun asks for the first time. At Luhan’s puzzled glance Sehun continues. “You know, Tao, he’s in my grade. He’s the one who dropped Hyorin off. Shouldn’t he take care of her?”

“Why?” was all Luhan could think of to ask. Before Sehun opened his mouth, Mrs. Oh hurried on with her talk.

“Never mind, never mind,” she shook her hands. “Shouldn’t we get going if we are to be on time?” Luhan smiled.

“I suppose we should, it is late,” Luhan made a move to get up from the seat he was placed in, and Hyorin – having heard the noise – wandered into the extremely large living space. “Ah, hi Rinnie!”

“Lu!” She ran into his arms in greeting, eagerly listing her eventful night. She, much like Luhan, had dark brown hair and a kind face. The two looked like siblings off of a magazine cover. Hyorin was rather small for her age, and was often sickly. Luhan made sure to keep up her weight by feeding her often. “We even baked a cake!”

“Really now? That must’ve been fantastic,” Luhan patted her head. “Now go get your stuff, we have to go.” She nodded, and ran off into the depths of the apartment.

“She’s so sweet!” Mrs. Oh cooed.

“Did you really bake a cake?” Luhan looked to her in awe. “That’s pretty amazing; I can’t cook to save my life.”

“Why, thank you, it was a simple one. I’d offer you some, but, between the four of us here, we ate it all,” she laughed, causing Luhan to gently smile once more.

Mrs. Oh, Luhan and Hyorin took their leave, saying goodbye to Sehun and Dae as they left for the parents’ meeting. The rest of the evening was deemed uneventful. Hyorin’s teacher was pleased that Luhan had finally attended, and Luhan was greeted warmly. He introduced Mrs. Oh to the parents, and they chatted as a group about the news around town. Nothing was actually accomplished at the meetings, but both Hyorin and Luhan had a somewhat good time – Hyorin playing with toys in the corner whilst the group of adults was huddled in the centre.

“Do you want to stop for ice cream?” Luhan asked his sister as they made their way home. She was perched upon his shoulders, claiming to be too tired to walk. “It’s only 8:30, Yixing should still be there.”

“Yay! I love Xing-oppa and his ice cream!” Hyorin cheered causing Luhan to laugh. They found the shop, and Yixing was indeed inside it, still dressed in the worker’s garb.

“Welcome to – oh, hey Luhan, Hyorin!” Yixing smiled at them, his dimples showing, as Hyorin was let down, allowing her to run to the numerous flavour choices. The shop was a small corner shop and was completely empty at this hour.

“Tough night?” Yixing asked, leaning on the counter. “You look exhausted.”

“Not in particular. Rin has a new best friend,” Luhan smiled grimly, recalling what she had told him. “And the kid’s mother is incredibly enthusiastic. I mean, she’s wonderful, but I just have no energy for that today. Plus there was the parents’ meeting.”

Yixing grinned. “And that 50 page Calc packet is due – don’t forget.” At this Luhan lightly punched the other in the arm, grinning nonetheless.

“Oh, the kid – his name’s Dae – ” Luhan began, only to be cut off.

“Hold on,” Yixing brought up his hands. “ ‘His’? As in a boy? Hyorin is friends with a boy?”

“She’s five, Yixing,” Luhan reminded him. “It’s enough that Minseok gets chided whenever he finds an attractive friend, what makes you think Hyorin likes the kid?”

“Maybe they’ll grow up and get married, there’s a chance,” Yixing shrugged.

“No, no, definitely not,” Luhan denied. “She doesn’t like him.”

“Is he mean?” Yixing asked.

“No, but he has a brother. Tao’s age,” Luhan explained. “That kid seemed kind of rude. What if when Rin visits he makes erted comments at her? What if he’s mean to her?”

“How was he rude?” asked Yixing. “Did he call you a girl? Did he address you informally?”

“He doubted my caretaking abilities,” Luhan stretched his mouth into a pout, causing Yixing to chuckle.

“I bet he asked why Tao wasn’t in charge, eh?” Yixing was spot on – he knew from the dissatisfied jerk of Luhan’s nod.

“I want watermelon today!” shouted Hyorin. “Watermelon!” Luhan grimaced at the strange flavor for ice cream.

“Yes ma’am!” saluted Yixing. He gave her the cone adding an extra bit at the top. “A little extra for our princess.” She squealed happily and ran to the nearest table, soppily plopping onto the seat.

“I’ll take a – ” Luhan started, being cut off by ice cream being handed to him.

“ – a vanilla. I know, like always,” Yixing grinned. “You’re one of the most outgoing people I know, but your ice cream taste is awfully plain.”

“I apologize for not finding sense in eating fruit flavoured ice cream,” Luhan said.

“Choosing different flavours or eating different types of foods show one’s willingness to partake in new experiences, which happens to be in the definition of mental health. Those who eagerly try new ideas and new things are proven to be more stable and in a mentally healthier state than one who is always sticking to the same pattern or idea. If, for example, you, as someone who always orders the same ice cream, is given an out of place ice cream – say chocolate – you would react poorly, and may even go as far as enticing in a mental breakdown or fit. Whilst your sister, who takes a different ice cream every time in no particular order, who is given a different flavor will only rejoice in happiness at being given this food, not worrying about the flavor of it. Thus, if you always choose vanilla you will someday go mad,” Yixing concluded, nodding at his results.

“Oh dear me, thank you Yixing, for warning me of my horrible fate,” Luhan wooed sarcastically, earning a grin. Three heads turned as the doorbell jingled, an unexpected costumer walking in.

“Hello,” Yixing straightened from his previously leaning form, becoming formal. “Once again welcome to the shop, are you going to become our regular visitor?” Luhan was startled to see none other than Sehun, brother of Hyorin’s apparent future husband.

Sehun nodded. “It’s a nice place.” He walked over to the counter.

“Sehun-oppa!” Hyorin exclaimed in surprise. “Hi again! I didn’t know you came here!”

“Hello Hyorin,” Sehun’s mouth turned slightly upwards, a seemingly great effort intended as a smile. He gave Luhan a look, which Luhan returned with a grin.

“Hi, Sehun,” Luhan nodded at him. “Did your mother return home alright? We split after the meeting.”

“Yeah, she’s fine,” Sehun muttered. He turned to Yixing. “I want a vanilla.” 

“Sure thing,” Yixing also offered the boy a smile which was not returned. “So, Sehun, are you in high school?”

“Yes,” Sehun replied curtly.

“Junior?” Yixing asked.

Sehun gave him a look. “Yes.”

“That’s nice,” Yixing nodded. “I go to the university across town; it’s my first year there. You’re sixteen I assume?”

“Yes.”

“I thoroughly enjoyed being sixteen,” Yixing recalled. “Didn’t you, Luhan?”

“Yup, being sixteen was great,” Luhan grinned. “I crashed into a light pole twice the first time I sat in a car. I swear my teacher was about to explode.”

“Ah, I remember that,” Yixing smiled at the memory. “Mrs. Park refused to get in the car with you again, and she failed me because I apparently had ‘similar behaviors to that car wrecker’.”

“You don’t know that she was talking about me, Minseok almost ran over that pedestrian, maybe she meant him,” Luhan said.

“Nope, you were the only one capable of leaving such an impression on her. She hated your guts. Doesn’t Tao have her this year too?”

“No, he got my second teacher, Mr. Lee; he was good about it though. He only got mad when the wheel fell into the river,” Luhan scratched his head. “But he still passed me.”

“Like that would’ve stopped you anyway, you’ve been driving since you were about 10,” Yixing laughed.

“Isn’t that … dangerous?” Sehun asked, looking between the two older males.

“What? Luhan driving?” Yixing grinned. “Incredibly dangerous, but he walks to most places, and takes the subway.”

“I do have a car, though, kinda,” Luhan defended.

“Kinda?” repeated Sehun.

“It fell in the ocean last week. Not my fault. Really!” Luhan said.

“Then … how did it get in the ocean?” Sehun asked, puzzled.

“It twisted and kinda flipped and swirled that way,” Luhan made the motions with his hands. “And the ocean just happened to be there.”

“Were you drunk?” Sehun asked, incredulous.

“Of course not!” Luhan said, offended. “I don’t drink. Yixing here does, so does Minseok, but I … don’t.”

“Yeah, right,” scoffs Sehun. “You’re in highschool, aren’t you?”

“I’m a few years above Yixing in university, child,” Luhan grins. “Well, I’m only a year older, but – ”

“He’s a genius,” supplied Yixing, earning a playful slap.

“How old are you?” asks Sehun directly.

“Do you hear this Yixing? He asked my age, oh the impoliteness of this child!” Luhan dramatically raised his arms, his face one of sarcastic horror. Sehun, in turn, had his face blush a deep red.

“He’s nearing 20, Sehun. That’s how old he is,” Yixing looked at his friend’s performance. “He’s a bit dramatic; don’t take it to heart if you get offended. He means well.”

“I am not dramatic, and that wasn’t offensive,” Luhan turned to Sehun. “Right, Sehun?” Sehun muttered something that neither of the elder males understood.

Luhan leaned to Yixing discreetly, whispering. “It’s my new goal to make him laugh.”

“I give you three days,” Yixing whispered back. Luhan looked the other in the eye, nodded, and reached his hand out for a handshake. Yixing retaliated, shaking Luhan’s hand once.

“Well, it was great working with you, sir,” Luhan told Yixing. He turned to Sehun. “And an absolute pleasure to chat with you, Mr. Oh. I daresay we will see each other soon. I’ll tell Tao to be kind.” Luhan tipped his imaginary hat. “Hyorin, are you done? Let’s go!” The girl obediently waved to Yixing and Sehun before departing with her brother into the dark night.

“He’s a special kind of special, isn’t he, Sehun?” Yixing watched his best friend leave before realizing Luhan didn’t pay him - again. “A very special kind of special indeed. He didn’t pay me again.” Yixing silently vowed to have revenge.

Sehun nodded in agreement, oblivious to the sinister plot now growing deep within Yixing’s mind. 

a/n: how was the first chapter :D?