Freedom

Her Mistakes

 

To Krystal, it was a really quick ride home. Maybe it was not that Gabriel likes to drive fast, it was more of an atmosphere’s fault. Somehow, the girl managed to feel glad she was with him at the moment. The feeling was way different than being with her old friends or her sister. So when the car stopped, she didn’t dare to think about it, but drops of sadness fell upon her.

Hearing car wheels to drive into their yard, Alice immediately shot up from her seat in the kitchen and hurried outside. To her astonishment, instead of spotting her dearest pal in the driver’s seat, a new boy in town was seated, waving to her from his spot.

“Gabriel took you home?” Alice didn’t suppress her surprised and, at the same time, amused voice. “I thought Tiffany was free tonight.”

Krystal turned around when she heard the car getting ready for a long drive back. Biting her lower lip, she knocked on the window and nervously smiled. “Do you want some tea?” she asked once he rolled the glass down.

Gabriel, not so sure if to accept the invitation, looked at Alice instead. The older girl herself wasn’t quite sure if it was a good idea, but nodded to him nevertheless.

“Sounds good,” he muttered before turning down the engine and getting out of his car. Krystal carefully stepped through pills of snow, making her way inside her tiny house. In the main hall, she took off her wet shoes and placed them on the heater, then took off her warm coat and placed it on one of the shelves. After a minute or two, Gabriel headed inside after Alice, who helped him with shopping bags.

“What are those for?” the older girl asked, concerned with what’s in those heavy bags. Krystal shyly lowered her eyes to the ground and didn’t dare to say whose it was.

“It’s my early Christmas gift for your sister, I hope you don’t mind,” Gabriel explained as he saw his new friend’s complicated expression. Intently eyeing her younger sister, Alice signed.

“You shouldn’t have.”

“No, I insisted-“

“I mean, you really shouldn’t have.”

An uncomfortable intense silence fell in the house, and Krystal would have given anything to break it.

“Ah, we have guests!”

“Grandma!” Krystal quickly dashed to her elder, helping her walk out of her dark room. “Why are you up?”

Alice crossed her arms. “She doesn’t listen to me. According to her-“

“-According to me, I’m feeling fine,” the old lady chuckled. Sparks beamed in Krystal’s eyes.

“Grandma, meet Gabriel. He’s… he’s new here. He’s going to become our neighbor soon,” she waved for the said boy to come closer.

Rushing, Gabriel took off his boots and coat, Alice took it away from him and placed them to their rightful places. As he gently shook grandma’s hand, Krystal watched in awe as her grandma’s smile grew only wider.

“Such a young handsome man is my girl’s friend? I’m impressed, Krystal,” she joked, and to all of their amusement, Krystal went red as a tomato right on the spot.

“Don’t embarrass her too much, let’s get back to your room now,” Alice took the charge and slowly pulled the elder woman away. “You two go to the kitchen.”

Normally, Krystal would retort something and disobey such a simple order, but as it was their first time receiving a guest other than their usual friends, she nodded to Alice and led the boy to the kitchen.

“This place is probably horrific to you,” Krystal muttered, sound too little for Gabriel to hear.

“No, it feels cozy,” he smiled as he watched the girl boil water for him. Sitting on a bench, his eyes darted around the place. From low ceiling to walls that screamed for renovation, this place looked poor. It also had a dark atmosphere, just like he expected it to be, giving all the analyzing he did on Krystal. Just like her, this place needed some big changes. It needed help.

When tea was done, Krystal placed the best cup she could find in front of Gabriel.

The boy looked at her worried expression when he took yellowish white cup, that clearly been there for some time.

Frustration rose inside the young girl as she noticed his perplexed eyes on the cup. “Look…”

“So how’s your grandma doing?”

Krystal stopped tapping her fingers on solid façade of the table and took her seat beside him.

“She’s holding, somehow. But she’s going to be fine, I’m sure of it,” she didn’t give up.

She’s almost done, but I can’t tell her that, he sadly thought.

Before he could retort, Alice intruded their blooming chat and signed once seated before them.

“We got to get her to the hospital, Krys.”

“But she said she was fine,” younger one disagreed. Gabriel gave Alice a sympathetic look which she noticed.

“Let’s talk about it sometime later. Our guest might feel bad if we start arguing.”

With an apologizing look, Krystal nodded. “So Gabriel… When do you think your house will be done?”

“I think the first floor is already done,” Alice added.

Gabriel smiled and blew on his hot tea before sipping it. “It’s going to be ready faster than expected, actually. This town has really good workers, apparently.”

“That’s a given, when it’s one of the biggest jobs they had.”

“You make it sound like no one builds houses there anymore.”

“They don’t. Well, at least not that expensive ones.”

“Err…”

“Would you like more tea?” Krystal interrupted, shifting from her position and secretly glaring at her older sibling, who was acting uncharacteristically immature tonight.

Having his phone under the table from the girls’ sight, feeling uncomfortable Gabriel, without dropping Alice’s intense stare, tapped his finger to the screen a few times before a loud tune engulfed from tiny speakers. He was pretty glad he wasted his time in school playing around with this tiny device.

Looking at the lighted screen, he unlocked the phone and placed it next to his ear. “Wait a sec, Daniel is calling,” he excused himself.

As both girls followed him with their eyes, he went outside the kitchen. “Now? Um yeah, I just drove Krystal home… No, if it’s like that, I’ll be soon, alright? Okay, I’ll see you later.”

“You have to go?”

“Sorry, but yes. I didn’t even finish my tea…”

“Don’t worry, there’ll be next time. Thanks for today,” Krystal stood in the hall, watching as he quickly dressed up.

“Have a safe ride!” Alice shouted from the kitchen, sipping a cup of water.

 

*

 

 

Watching television show, Krystal couldn’t help but wonder why Alice is so quiet. Normally she would rush the younger one to do homework or clean the dishes, she would command something, but right now, not a single word left Alice’s pink lips. And it was nearing 11pm.  In any other case, Krystal would be happy about it, but it didn’t feel right. Like something definitely was out of normal.

“So…”

“…”

“Hey, sis, did I do something wrong?”

“What?” Alice turned her expressionless face to Krystal, clearly not sure if what she heard was right.

“You haven’t talked since he left.”

“Oh, that.”

That? “Cut the crap already.”

“Watch how you’re talking!” Older one commanded, a relieved smile replacing Krystal’s earlier, scarred mimic.

“Tell me,” expectant eyes glimmered in younger one’s face.

“I have no explaining to do,” Alice retorted. Krystal pursed .

“Alice, what’s wrong?”

“There’s nothing wrong!”

With a shout, Alice’s body shot up with eyes narrowing on the sitting girl. Taken a back, Krystal timidly straightened her back.

“Stop shouting!”

“Don’t you dare to raise your voice, Krystal! Your commands have nothing on me!”

If looks could kill, Krystal would be already lying on the ground, gasping for air. As a response for such a behavior from her usually composed sibling, junior girl’s eyes widened as big as golf balls.

“Only you can command? Where’s justice in this house, Alice?! What’s gotten into you? You’re not your usual self today.”

“I’m not?” a chuckle escaped Alice’s throat, “And how exactly do you think I am?”

“You’re calm, at least!”

“Well, it your own damn problem for making me like this!”

“So what did I do to you?!”

Alice scoffed; tears swell up from her sister’s eyes. Through sour liquor in her sight, Krystal bit back harshly.

“This is the reason no one really comes here. Because we’re always fighting! Even Gabriel… Thank God he was called before he saw you, me, us like this. Before you created a scene.”

“No one called him, even I know how to control my phone without looking at it,” Alice commented. Krystal eventually stood up as well.

“No wonder he acted on his own. He couldn’t take it from you, no more! I can’t either,” she finally gave up to her tears; walking away without another glance, she muttered softly, but loud enough for her angry sister to hear. “I give up. And here I thought I’ll initiate one normal conversation. But you’re too messed up, Alice, you’re messed up…”

Frozen after hearing such insulting words from her beloved little sister, Alice’s knees gave up and she fell on the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. She never wanted it to lead to this, no. All she ever did was try to give world to Krystal, to make sure she got everything from life- she gave up her future for Krystal’s own. There were so many sacrifices made for that ungrateful youngster, who treated Alice like some sort of monster, who only harmed Krystal. Truthfully speaking, Alice was too tired to feel this way. And for once, living only for herself sounded like a good thing to do. If Krystal insisted on it, the older one had no choice but to back down and give up. If that’s what Krystal wish for, ‘freedom’, she’ll get it.

 

*

 

Honestly speaking, Krystal felt ashamed of herself. Saying such harsh words was low, even if she really didn’t mean to. Her frustration with her life just got the worst of her. However, as bad as she is feeling right now, she can’t get up from her bed and go to her sister. She wouldn’t dare to apologize. So, instead of doing what should be done, her mind processed the thought that she’s not really the one at fault. Then again, catching where her train of thought is headed, the young girl shook her head and mentally slapped herself.

I need to do something, anything… Hey, voice, can you hear me?

I know you can! I really need someone to listen to me now…

As silence continued, Krystal pounced off from her bed and sat beside a window. Looking trough wet glass, she noted how rain, once again, poured like water from a bucket. Dark outside, she barely spotted tall silhouettes of trees. She sat there for almost one hour, when crescent moon finally came from the dark clouds and shined an orange light, helping Krystal to see outside view a tad better. She nearly jumped out from her skin when a shadow moved outside. Just a thought of someone, something standing outside and watching her the whole time gave her creeps. After regaining her posture, she slowly stood up and drew curtains close, quickly dashing towards the doors and turning the lights off.

In absolute darkness, she sneakily came forward the window again and stood by the wall. Biting her lip because of nervousness, she drew one side of the curtains a little bit, enough for her to see outside, but not enough to be seen. Heaving a relieved sign when nothing moved behind those trees in front of her, she let go of the fabric and soon went to sleep.

Unconsciously in her sleep that she wouldn’t remember the next morning, she saw that sudden movement in the dark again. That shadow took a form of a human, a boy to be exact. If only she someday remembered seeing him, it would have saved her from a lot of troubles that are waiting for her in the near future.

 

*

 

The next morning seemed usual to Krystal, at least at first glance. When she felt someone shaking her to wake up, she almost forgot about last night’s little disagreement. Sloppily opening her heavy eyelids, she was surprised to see amused Tiffany instead of her own sister, Alice.

“Wake up, sleepy head, you’re on the verge of missing your second period too,” unexpected intruder announced, gaining a non-believing look from still half-sleeping girl.

“Say what again?”

Tiffany just laughed in response. Taking her phone out from a pocket, she showed it right in Krystal’s face. It read 8:26.

Krystal’s eyes flew open at the sight. “Why has nobody woke me up yet?!”

“Hey hey, kiddo, calm down. Alice just woke up too. Be glad I came to fetch her up. We have only the second lesson, so neither of us are obligated to help your sorry out of those pillows,” older one disapprovingly raised her brows , before continuing, “and you have some responsibilities on your own, Krys.”

The latter girl grumpily got up and walked towards clothes’ drawer. “I know, I really do… It’s just I’m used to Alice doing this every morning. What will I say to my teacher as an excuse?”

“That’s really not my nor Alice’s problem. Stop relying on her so much.” Crossing her bony hands, Tiffany let out a deep sign. “I heard that you two had some discussion last night.” Krystal cringed at the mention; did Alice say everything to her best pal of all times? She hopes not. “What I heard is that you two came to conclusion that she won’t bother you anymore. Like, what did she say again? Um, yeah, she said ‘freedom’. You’ll have full freedom now, Krystal. So, they start this morning.”

Before walking out to let Krystal change, the older girl murmured amusedly, “And if you want a quick ride to school, be done in five minutes.”

In the end, those ‘five’ minutes prolonged to fifty, since Krystal had to take a shower one way or another, and Tiffany suggested for the trio to skip one period. Arriving unusually late, both sisters took off their different ways, in the whole morning sparing each other only a ‘good morning’. It was almost amusing for the younger teenager to get to know she’s now free, but only almost, as it also gave her great worry. Will she be okay not relying on Alice all the time? She has gotten super comfortable with her sister waking her, cooking food most of the time, also doing the biggest part of cleaning in their home, while Krystal was in school, activity clubs or with her friends. And now, she will have to take care of herself 24/7, and it scarred her to no end.

But, meeting her group of friends, also two new members to the crew, she realized one thing: if Alice gives her freedom, then she must be sure Krystal can take care of it. And with positive mind, the youngster won’t disappoint her only true family.