J.S.Y.: HOW IT CAME TO BE

J.S.Y.

“Oppa, I’m sorry but I can’t. Please don’t contact me again. I’m sorry.”

            It felt like being transported to that night when we ended our virtual marriage, only this time, the pain of it all is more than what I thought I could bear. I watched as she walked away, bringing every piece of my broken heart with her. It hurts a lot more than that night in March because then, I knew that she walked away against her will. We were being separated by circumstances and our time in the show has reached its conclusion. Tonight is a different story. I thought things would go well after that emotion-laden duet, but everything is just a nightmare. She’s walking away from me again, and this time, it’s by her own choice.

            I remained in the same position and toyed with the box in my left pocket. I laughed, cried, and shook my head in despair. I expected her to turn me down, but just because I did, it’s not enough to prepare me for the real thing.

            “Come on, hyung. It’s time to go.”

            Jonghyun patted my back and led me towards our van. I didn’t say a word all throughout the ride and my members knew better than to disturb me. As I looked out the window, memories of our time together flooded my mind. I tried to stop it but to no avail. I closed my eyes and all I see is her – that shy awkward smile when we met at MBC’s lobby, our time in Lotte World, when I met up with my ‘sisters-in-law,’ when she sang and played the guitar for me, our double birthday episode, that heart-to-heart talk we had in Kawagoe & where we also had our first real kiss, up until that time we said goodbye. But the most painful of it all was when she turned me down and walked away from me. Nothing beats the pain of being rejected by the one and only girl you could imagine having a future with.

            I spent the next few months and years trying to forget her. But how can I when like I said, she took my heart with her when she left? I still kept the ring with me. I bought it after that Japan trip and kept it ever since. I was just waiting for the right time to propose, but now, I’m not so sure anymore.

            Our lives and careers propelled forward. After some time, I was able to keep in touch with her sisters and get updates from them about her. Of course, regaining their trust wasn’t easy. It’s those stupid journalists and annoying netizens fault for insisting that my dating scandal with a former co-star is true. I admit, back when we filmed You’re Beautiful, I did have a crush on her, but that’s it. It was just a momentary second of attraction and I think part of it was because a rookie like me was just starstruck to work with an experienced sunbae like her.

 

            Those rare moments wherein she’d greet me during music show broadcasts (especially when our 2013 comeback dates overlapped), I felt like I was in cloud nine. I tried hard to keep the “professional façade” but as soon as the cameras stopped rolling and I’m within the safety of CNBLUE’s dressing room, I couldn’t control my happiness. My dongsaengs and even the SNSD members were immune to my random pabo in love moments. I could hear Jungshin’s endless sighs as he said,

            “Aish. Hyung’s at it again.”

            Those simple and perhaps nonsensical interactions meant a lot to me. With each smile, wave, and nod, I felt like all those years of waiting and fighting for her is worth it. Yes, she is worth it. I never doubted that. If doubt would consume my thoughts now and then, it’ll only be about if I feel like I’m good enough to be her man. All throughout the years, I expanded my way into her circle. I became close with her SM family. Since I couldn’t woo her no matter how much I wanted, it was her parents and our company CEOs that I wooed instead. The parents part was easy. They’ve always been fond of me. But speaking to our CEOs? It took me every ounce of courage to be able to stand before them without fainting.

            Every time I’d try to get close to her again, she’d shy away from me. Those times I felt frustrated, my “sisters-in-law,” dongsaengs, and some of our friends would come by and give me encouragement.

            “Give her time, Yong. Our maknae really is stubborn. Everything is new to her and she doesn’t know how to act on her feelings. We’ve been trained to keep our emotions in check and always look out for the group. Seohyunnie took that to heart and now, she just doesn’t know how to deal with the feeling of being in love.” (Tiffany)

            “I’m sorry you have to deal with a stubborn maknae like ours but if all of this is too hard for you, then might as well give up and find another girl.” (Jessica)

            Find another girl? Never. I could see her members and our friends silently “scold” her for suggesting me to give up.

            “I don’t care if it’s too hard. When it comes to pursuing Seo Joohyun, giving up will never be an option.”

            “Now that’s more like it! Go!” she turned to the rest of the people in the room. “What? You didn’t think I was serious when I told him to give up? Aish. This choding just needs some serious prodding and a wakeup call! Besides, if he did give up after all the work, none of you would get the chance to murder him before I do. Haha!”

            “Eww noona you’re so morbid!” (Jungshin)

            “Whatever!” (Jessica)

            We were preparing to leave when Jungshin turned around once again and yelled,

            “Oh and by the way, uri hyung and the rest of CNBLUE are going to enlist in the army late this year! Hahaha!”

            “WHAT?!”

            This Lee Jungshin! Before any of the group attacked me, I dragged the rest of my dongsaengs back to our van.

            The night before our enlistment, CNBLUE met up with our friends.

            “Seohyunnie is crying herself to sleep ever since she found out you guys are enlisting.” (Yuri)

            “Oh please. Seohyun should stop being so dramatic! It’s just 2 years!” (Jungshin)

            “Yah! Can you at least try to be empathize with her? The poor girl hasn’t even found the courage to confess and now he’s leaving!” (Jessica)

            “Aish. Ok ok. I understand.”

            “She wanted to give you this. Well, at least I think she does but I know she won’t because she’s so embarrassed to even go near you. So I kinda, stole it from her closet. Don’t tell her! She’ll kill me. haha!” (Hyoyeon)

            I reached up to accept the small parcel in her hand. There was a letter and a handkerchief that I knew she created herself. I thanked her unnies and asked for my final request.

            “I know it’s too much to ask but please tell her to wait for me. I promise that as soon as I get released I’ll propose to her. Can you please watch over her for me while I’m away to serve our country?”

            “That is a lot but don’t worry. We’ll do it for the both of you.” (Taeyeon)

 

THIRD PERSON POV:

            As soon as CNBLUE was released from the army and the members were done visiting their families, Yonghwa called up the members of Team YS and asked for a meeting.

            “This better be important or else! Can’t this wait tomorrow?! It’s 2:30am!!!” (Jessica)

            “I know I know and I’m sorry but I’m afraid we don’t have much time. Tomorrow is Joohyun’s scheduled/routine day to roam around the park and there’s no better time to propose than that day! I already have a plan and I just need your help to make it a reality. Please?”

            “Why does the proposal have to be tomorrow and how the hell did you know about Hyunnie’s Wednesday park ritual?!” (Yuri)

            “Because I can’t wait any longer! Please!”

            “Noonas, just please help us? He’s been talking like this since we were in the army! I can’t believe I got assigned in the same team and barracks as hyung. I’ve been hearing about this plan of his for the duration of our enlistment!” (Jungshin)

            “He knows about the Wednesday thing because Minhyuk over here asked Krystal who then asked Jessica.” (Jonghyun)

            “Arasso. Arasso. What do you want us to do?” (Taeyeon)

            “So here’s the plan…”

            Yonghwa excitedly told them of his “genius plan proposal.” After a few minutes of discussion, he looked at them expectantly and said,

            “Well? What do you think? I’m a genius right! Hahaha! Don’t you think that “just say yes” line is cool? The whole ‘will you marry me’ is so overused and clichéd so I came up with my own. Isn’t it cool? Hahaha!”

            The rest of them looked at him and tried to digest the information.

            “So let me get this straight. You want us to ‘stalk’ Seohyun tomorrow until such time you are ready to approach her?” (Yoona)

            “And I have to manually operate a snow machine you rented just to keep the atmosphere, romantic?” (Jungshin)

            “And hyung, you’re asking me to fan the rose petals in a certain direction..” (Minhyuk)

            “While I have to use that electric fan to make sure it does create that effect?” (Hyoyeon)

            “Oppa, you’re asking me and Yuri unnie to create a dozen fake accounts to leave  comments on these ‘fake articles’ we also supposedly wrote, to leave "hints" about you dating some other girl?!” (Krystal)

            “Why do Fany and I have to go out and print some newspaper copies of those brainless articles?!” (Sooyoung)

            “Hey! Are you forgetting about me? Hello! How can I be the sacrificial lamb and pose as his fake girlfriend?! YUCK!!!!” (Sunny)

            “Because you’re the shortest and easiest one to hide in these clothes and we can easily snuck you back inside the van before the fans or paparazzis catch you!” (ALL)

            “What does my height got to do with anything?! Why me! Why! Waah!”

           

            They went on their separate ways and agreed to meet up after lunch on the same day to carry out their ‘plans.’ The fake dating pictures would be taken in a random set or less crowded areas as the ‘evidence’ in the articles.

            Krystal and Yuri were busy writing up a bunch of articles regarding Jung Yonghwa’s impending ‘marriage’ and engagement to a mystery girl.

            “Oh and don’t forget to add up the part wherein I knew this girl way back when I was a trainee and I have loved her ever since.”

            “Yah! You haven’t even met up with Seohyunnie back then!” (Yuri)

            “I thought you’re an avid fan of the goguma couple. I mentioned in WGM that I saw her in a book store reading and she was still sporting that red glasses. I was a trainee then. That counts!” (Yonghwa)

            “Aigoo. Yong oppa a pabo in love.” Krystal sighed as she continued to type in his additional request.

            The team was at hard work and it wasn’t helping at all that the plan had to happen that night. Yonghwa’s constant nagging was getting on their nerves but because of their love for this couple, they held it in and did as he asked.

            The time came for the plan to set in motion. As soon as Seohyun stepped out of SNSD’s dorm (SM still kept a dorm for the girls to stay in after their busy schedules), they followed her around for a couple of hours (much to their complaint & Yonghwa’s insistent prodding to “wait for the perfect timing”) and made sure that the props were in place. They watched as Seohyun walked around the park and saw firsthand her reaction when she read the “fake headlines.” They knew that Seohyun’s curiosity would get the best of her and it wasn’t much of a surprise when the said person searched through her phone.

            “Jungshin-ah, palli! Make more snow! Yah, Minhyuk-ah, Hyoyeon, throw the petals and execute the wind effect!” Yonghwa ordered them around.

            The 3 had no choice and didn’t even grumble (although deep inside they were almost at their boiling point) when they did as he asked them to.

            “Yonghwa-yah, you better go there now before the poor girl cries loudly!” (Sooyoung)

            “Uh, do I look ok? Is my perfume alright? What if she hates me?!!!”

            “Stop fumbling around and just go! You look fine! Seohyun’s going to have a mental breakdown anytime soon!” (Lee Joon)

            “But I’m nervous…how should I do this? aahh!!! The “JSY” thing is cool right? She’ll like it right? Isn’t it cool? I think it’s great and unique! sdfksfhjskfjsdjfhsdk”

            “Now is not the time to panic! Hurry up and call her and go ahead with the proposal before she makes a spectacle out of herself in public!!!” (Jessica)

            “but there’s only a few people in here!”

            “You never know if there are sasaeng fans or paparazzis hiding somewhere!” (Hyoyeon)

            “But…”

            “JUST GO!!!!!” (ALL)

            They pushed him and he didn’t have a choice but to speak up. He tried to keep his voice as stable as possible when he called her name.

            “Hyun?”

            Everyone saw how she froze and tensed up. It felt like forever before she turned around to face him.

            “Hey.”

            “How have you been?”

            The crowd hiding somewhere in the park watched and listened to their conversation.

            “What is he saying?! Aish! It’s cold and he’s dragging this longer!” (Lee Joon)

 

            “Just getting by.”

            “I see.”

 

            “Aish! What is with this nonsense talk?! Jung Yonghwa! Get on with the proposal already so we can leave too.” (Sooyoung)

            “My shoulder hurts from this. Should I keep producing more snow?!” (Jungshin)

            “If he wasn’t in such a rush, we could’ve at least gotten thicker coats! The temperature out here is freezing!” (Jonghyun, Tiffany, Sunny)

 

“I heard about your engagement. Congratulations!”

“Uh, that’s all. I guess I should get going.”

“WAIT!”

“Aren’t you going to fight for me?”

“What is there left to fight for?”

“You’re still as stubborn Seo Joohyun.”

“FINE! Then you wouldn’t care if I give this ring to some other girl? Have it your way!”

 

They were dumbfounded when Yonghwa just let Seohyun walk away in tears.

“What is he doing?! I thought he dragged us out here to witness him proposing and not letting her go just like that!” (Jessica, Krystal, Minhyuk)

“What is talking about? Giving the ring to another girl?! Mwoh?!” (Tiffany, Lee Joon, Hyoyeon)

As soon as Seohyun was out of sight, Yonghwa rushed to their side and told them quickly,

“Palli! Relocate the props to the parking lot!!! We have to be there first so I can fix the lighting and do this cool pose when she finds me. Taeyeon, Lee Joon, Jessica, and Jonghyun, please go and follow Joohyun and make sure she’s safe! Don’t let any creep attack her! The rest of you come with me! Palli!”

The rest of them grumbled and complained but still continued to follow his orders.

“Hurry! Jungshin-ah, fix this streetlight to focus on her car! Minhyuk-ah, take charge of the snow machine and give it back to Jungshin after he’s done with this. Palli everyone!  Double time!”

“Yah! Jung Yonghwa! Whatever it is you’re planning, just get it over with so we can leave and get ourselves some sleep. We’re freezing out here! You didn’t even give us the time to get our coats before dragging us out here!” (Sooyoung)

“I’m sorry I’ll make it up to you! Guys! She’s coming! Hurry!”

They watched as Seohyun kept crying while she frustratingly searched her purse for her car keys. They didn’t know whether to feel sorry for her but the look on her face when she realized who was standing in the way was priceless. They held in their laughter as they watched Seohyun quickly glance at her car’s windows and feel embarrassed over her messy hair and smudged makeup.

“Aigoo. I didn’t mean to make you cry. Oppa is sorry. Come here.”

The crowd wanted to “aww” at the dramatic yet cute hug that the couple shared. Just then, Seohyun stepped away and said,

“Please don’t marry her oppa. I love you! It’s always been you. I tried hard to move on but I never could. You’re my first and last love oppa, so please, please don’t leave me. I’m sorry for hurting you before. I was young, naïve, and this whole love thing scared me. I thought I did the right thing by letting you go but now I regret it. I  regret walking away from you every single night since it happened. I can’t live without you oppa. please. I know I’m being selfish but I can’t stand by any longer and watch you promise to spend the rest of your life with another girl. Jung Yonghwa oppa, Yonghwa-yah, saranghae.”

 

“Nado saranghae, Seo Joohyun. You don’t know how long I waited to hear you say that.”

 

“OMOOO!!! Finally! Is he going to propose?! He can’t miss this chance!” (Tiffany)

“Kyaaa! Seohyun unnie finally had the guts to confess!!! Kyaa!” (Krystal)

“This is soooo cute!! They finally said I love you to each other!” (Yoona)

“Aish. My shoulder hurts!” (Jungshin)

“You’re not the only one!” (Minhyuk & Hyoyeon)

“Please Yonghwa just say the stupid line you think is cool and let us have our rest!!” (Lee Joon)

“It’s so cold!” (Jonghyun)

 

“But…but what about her?”

“Who?”

 

“What is maknae saying? Who’s her?” (Yuri)

“Huh? I don’t get it?” (Sooyoung)

 

 “Her. The girl you’re marrying. J.S.Y.”

Just as how Yonghwa reacted, the 13 of them covered their mouths and did everything in their power to keep themselves from bursting with laughter.

“Hahaha! Seohyunnie fell for our trick! Hahaha!” (Yoona)

“How can she even think of another girl when they just shared the long awaited ‘I love you’ moment? Hahhaa! Our maknae is really something.” (Sunny)

“You did a great job with the photos Soonkyu-ah! Hahaha!” (Sooyoung)

“Ugh. Please don’t remind me of that disgusting moment and those ugly clothes you guys dumped on me! Haha!” (Sunny)

“Yonghwa oppa should stop laughing now before unnie walks away again.” (Krystal)

 

 “Aigoo. How can you be so cute? As expected, you really are different, Joohyun-ah.”

 

“Aish. He’s so cheesy!” (Minhyuk)

“And smitten by her!” (Jungshin)

“Wait! Omo! Is he finally going to..? Omo! He’s searching for something in his pocket!” (Taeyeon)

“Look! He’s getting down on one knee! Kyaaaa!” (Tiffany, Yoona, Krystal)

“Finally!! The fruit of our labor will soon see the light!” (Lee Joon, Jonghyun)

“As soon as she says “YES” we gotta get out of here! It’s soooo cold!” (Jessica, Jungshin, Hyoyeon)

“Ssshh!! He’s finally going to say that JSY line he’s so proud of!” (Sooyoung, Yuri)

 

 “Seo Joohyun, I’m only going to get married if you Just Say Yes.”

            The crowd took a deep breath and held hands tightly while they waited for Seohyun to answer. Their hearts were beating like crazy and the frosty weather wasn’t helping ease their nerves. They watched as Seohyun cried, nodded her head, and said the words they waited to hear for the past five hours.

            “YES!”

            As soon as they heard that golden yes, they went out of their hiding place and walked towards the couple. They didn’t even remember that they should’ve waited until Yonghwa got his chance to dance around happily for the successful proposal. All they thought was they were tired, sleepless, and freezing. Their stress has caught up to them and they talked all at once.

 “FINALLY!” (ALL)

 

            “Oh my gosh took you long enough!” (Jessica)

 

              “Do you know how long we waited to hear that simple answer?! 5 freaking hours!” (Lee Joon)


              “I feel like my shoulder is going to give up from operating that stupid snow machine!” (Jungshin)

 

              “What about me? I was the one who had to fan those damn petals just to create that effect Yonghwa hyung wanted!” (Minhyuk)

 

              “Hello! You guys could’ve handed it to me but I’m the one who got stuck operating this electric fan for the wind effect!” (Hyoyeon)

 

              “Was it really that hard to ask her the standard ‘will you marry me?’ Yah, Seohyunnie, do you know how many times he kept asking us if that’ just say yes’ line was cool?!” (Taeyeon)

 

             “Not only that, but unnie, do you know how many of those fake accounts we had to create just to leave a comment on every article about the JSY thing?!” (Krystal)

 

                “I’m the one who suffered a lot here! It was so embarrassing having to pose as his fake girlfriend. Ugh! Yuck! Just because I’m the shortest and easiest one to hide up in bundles of ugly clothes.” (Sunny)

 

                “He’s been staring at you like a maniac since you stepped out of the dorm!” (Jonghyun)

 

                “We kept telling him to just go and tell you everything but no, he had to force us to print fake newspapers and put these ridiculous articles up in that random stall!” (Sooyoung)

 

                “All the while you sat on the bench he was like, ‘do I look ok?’ ‘should I go tell her?’ ‘what if she hates me?’ and blah blah blah!” (Yuri)

                “When you were talking to each other, we thought he’d finally push through with the proposal but then he became a choding and just let you walk away!” (Yoona)
               

                “When you were out of sight, he ran back to us and told us to relocate these props to the parking lot so that when you come to find your car, you’d see him in some random pose he thinks is cool and whatever.” (Tiffany)

 

            Yonghwa was really miffed that the chance to react was swept under the rug. He stopped the crowd from airing more of their complaints and shouted his own.

 

                “YAH! You could’ve at least let me jump and carry her as i screamed hooray! She said yes! couldn’t you have waited a little longer?!”

           

            The 13 of them eyed him angrily as they responded,

 

                “NO! Do you have any idea how freaking cold it is!” (ALL)

 

                Seohyun also didn’t pass up the opportunity to join in the squabble. The rest of Team YS fell silent as their OTP found themselves in another one of their silly yet cute love fight.

 

                “You planned this?! How could you! This isn’t how I imagined my confession would be like. I looked like a mess!”

 

                “You took almost a decade imagining that and I can’t wait any longer. I’m sorry, ok? Anyway, the point is, you still said yes and we’re going to get married this spring. Hahaha!”

 

                “How can you be so sure I was going to say yes?! didn’t you threaten to give the ring to some other girl just a few minutes ago?!”

 

                “Aigoo. I said I’d only give the ring, I never mentioned me being a part of the package. Besides, the other girl would’ve been any one of your sisters or your mother. I’d hand the ring to them and ask them to give it to you. there’s no one else who owns this (points to the ring on her finger) and this (points to his heart) other than you.”

 

            The 13 of them looked at Yonghwa and Seohyun back and forth, until the former uttered that cheesy line and then the latter drawing him in for a kiss. FINALLY! Team YS breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing that their efforts weren’t wasted. The couple was still engaged in their kissing session and they knew better than to disrupt the long-awaited skinship. They high fived each other and said,

 

                “AND THEY LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER! THE END!” (Jungshin, Jessica, Minhyuk, Krystal)

                “Ok guys our work here is done. Time to pack up!” (Taeyeon, Tiffany, Lee Joon, Sunny)

                “Who wants to go grab some coffee?” (Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Yoona, Yuri, Jonghyun)

            They finished packing up and bid farewell to the couple who didn’t even take the time to respond as they were still engrossed in their own world.

 

            THE END.

 

Author’s Note:

Sorry this took longer than the actual shot. It’s the BTS of the proposal plan. Haha! I wrote and posted this as a form of thank you for the overwhelming support, votes, and comments you gave in the first & last chapter. I wasn’t expecting anything at all when I uploaded that one-shot but you guys, really….that was such a beautiful and wonderful surprise. haha!

Well this is it. Thank you again for reading! :D