A Minute Too Late

A Minute Too Late

 

Minah came up to Jongin wanting him to reply to her question one last time. She needed to know for sure. She was going to make up her final decision depending on Jongin’s answer. 

 

“Jongin… I-I have a question to ask” Minah softly murmured.

 

Thinking it was another confession Jongin just slammed his locker not even taking a glance at her and bumped his shoulder with hers while walking away. Jongin knew Minah has liked him since 9th grade when she first confessed to him. He didn’t say yes, instead he rejected her cruelly saying she was a nerd and he didn’t want to be seen around her. Minah never gave up though. She remembered when Jongin used to be a caring beautiful boy. She was bestfriends with him since they were 6 years old because their houses are right across from each other. However starting 6th grade Jongin started to care more about popularity,hanging out with the ‘cool’ and ‘popular’ group.  Jongin ditched her. Minah has liked him since the first day he moved into her neighbor hood, she didn’t have the courage to confess until 6th grade though.  Minah is a nerd. People bully her all the time. She tries to ignore them and not care, but how can she? She is a person after all.

 

“hey nerd look up!” a girl screams.

 

An egg was thrown at her face. The rest of the cafeteria laughed and joined in throwing all their food at her. She could feel tomatoes and eggs dripping from her hair to her face and her clothes getting wet. She squinted her eyes and tried to move away, but her feet were glued to the floor. She didn’t have the courage to speak up and run away. She stood their like a statue and watched people laugh and continue to throw things at her. She didn’t show any emotions until she spotted Jongin. He stared at her intently threw the crowd. He walked up still not taking his eyes off her. Everyone made way, as Jongin was the most popular guy at the school. Minah had hope that he would speak up for her.

Please Jongin, please speak up for me…Please help me!’  Minah screamed inside. She pleaded him with her eyes.

 

Jongin grabbed a tomato from another girl and threw it directly at Minah’s face. Everyone went silent for a millisecond, but bursted into laughter right after. That’s when Minah couldn’t handle it anymore. Tears started pooling in her eyes. Jongin was laughing with his friends while clapping and high fiving each other. “yah go Kai!” his friends shouted at him. Jongin laughed for a while and turned around to take a glance at her and he felt a pang in his chest. She had tears in her eyes, but she wasn’t crying. Jongin out of all people knew she hated crying. He could tell she was trying real hard not to cry. He regretted doing what he did. He knew he went too far. Minah slowly got back to her senses wiped the tears from her eyes and turned around and left the caf. She quickly went to the bathroom to take a look at herself. She looked disgusting. Minah tried to keep the tears to her self, but she couldn’t she stared at herself in the mirror and watched the tears slowly fall down to her cheeks. She made up her decision. ‘Im leaving’  

 

She didn’t bother going to her next class she went to her locker and stuffed all her books into her bag and walked out of the school. When she arrived home she got changed before her parents could see what a mess she was in. She packed all the necessary things into her luggage. ‘I was stupid to think he still cared…I’m nothing to him’  After packing all her things she layed down on her bed closing her eyes. She though of all the past memories she shared with Jongin. When they were little they used to be best friends that knew each others secrets.

 

Flashback

 

“Minah! I bought your favourite vanilla icecream!” Jongin shouted while running to her with her ice cream in his hand.

“Thanks Jongin! You’re the best!” Minah replied while hugging her best friend.

“Minah, im going to become a great dancer and one day I will dance on stage and dedicate it to you”

“Thank you so much Jongin, I will wait for that day”

“Anything for you Minah, you know I will always be here for you no matter what.” Jongin said sincerely while staring intently in her eyes.

 

Minah believed him. She though he would actually be with her forever.

 

 

The next day Minah woke up early to make lunch for Jongin. Since she’s going to leave the next day she hoped to see him eat the lunch she made for him one last time. She made the lunch look really pretty with hearts all over it.  ‘I hope he likes it’ Minah prayed. When she arrived to school she quickly ran up to where Jongin and his friends stood.

“Jongin! I made this lunch for you” Minah said while holding out the lunch box.

“Dude why is she calling you Jongin?”  Sehun his friend asked.

“I don’t know, why the nerd is even talking to me” Kai said while staring at Minah.

Minah was truly hurt,but she didn’t say anything but forced a smile while holding out the lunch box. Kai grabbed it. She was so shocked he actually took it. He opened up the lunch box and he saw how much food and decoration was in it. The next thing that happened crushed Minah’s heart. He threw it on the floor. All her precious hours of making the food wasted in a matter of seconds.

“Yah man!” all of Kai’s friends shouted while high fiving each other. Kai stared at Minah’s expression. She looked dumbfounded,then hurt.

 

‘Im sorry Minah, I have to look cool in front of my friends’ Jongin thought.

 

Minah left the scene. She was hopeless she knew the Jongin she once new was completely gone. He has changed to Kai, the popular heartless boy.  ‘ I guess this is it, I’m leaving for good.’  Minah walked to the principles office and handed in the form that shows that she is leaving the school. Minah didn’t bother going to her class and saying good bye. She had no friends after all, no one would care and be happy that she is gone for good. Minah walked home and talked to her parents.

 

“Mom, Dad, I’ve made up my decision, I’ll do what you say and go to the American boarding school”  Minah said.

 

“I know its hard Minah ,but it is for your own benfit. You will be able to go to a better university. I know you will miss all your friends here, but you can start fresh their too!” Mina’s mom tried to cheer her daughter up.

 

What Minah’s mom didn’t know was that no one would care if she leaves because she had no friends.

 

When Minah woke up it was already the next day. ‘Wow I didn’t know I slept for that long’. Minah walked downstairs carrying her luggage she packed the other day. ‘ I cant believe Im actually leaving…Im going to miss mom, dad, and Jongin” She murmured to herself.  Minah sat down on her table and grabbed a pen. She took  out an envelope and a paper. She wrote Jongin a letter. When she walked up to his house literally 10 seconds away she hesitated to put the letter in his mailbox. She didn’t know if it would make any difference, but she wanted to try. Minah gathered up all her courage and put it in. Little did she know that Kai was watching her from his room the whole time. When Kai got ready to leave the house he quickly looked into the mailbox. ‘ Its probably another love letter, when can she learn to leave me alone?’  Kai put the letter in the trash and walked to school.

 

While everyone was at school. Minah wasn’t, Kai noticed. ‘Aish, why isn’t she here? Did I seriously mess her up that much?’ Kai sat down on his chair and looked around the classroom once again to check if she was just late or actually absent. The day seemed so long, he didn’t know why, but he was wooried. Minah didn’t ever miss school. Even when she was sick. So why is she not here? Kai was frustrated. When the dismissal bell rang Kai quickly went up to his teacher.

“Why wasn’t Minah here today? Is something wrong” Kai asked.

The teacher frowned as she was wondering why Kai even cared in the first place. She sighed while staring at him.

“ She left”

Kai didn’t understand. No he didn’t want to admit that he actually understood.

“What do you mean she left?” He tried to answer calmly.

“I mean she actually left. She’s gone Kai, apparently she’s moving to America and isn’t coming back.” His teacher replied.

Kai was shocked. He couldn’t even utter a word. Kai ran out of the school ignoring all the calls from his friends. He dashed infront of Minah’s house. It was 9pm. Kai loudly banged on Minah’s door. Her mother opened it for him.

“Oh hello Jongin! Come in!” Minah’s mom said as she examined kai’s sweating face.

“Where is Minah?” Kai asked while his eyes were wandering around the house.

“Oh hasn’t she told you? She left to the airport about two hours ago! You must be devastated Jongin since you guys are best friends.” Minah’s mom said.

 

Kai frowned. Has Minah not told her mom that they weren’t friends anymore yet?

“I noticed how you don’t come to our house much often. Minah always said you were too busy dancing.” Minah’s mom asked.

 

Kai was lost at words. He didn’t know what to say. ‘Has Minah been pretending to be my friend all this time?’ Kai thought.

“Um yeah sort of. Im sorry.” Kai replied after gathering up his senses.

“ Oh no worries. Im sure Minah understood. She always talked about how good you were at dancing and that one talent show a few weeks ago? She could not stop telling me about your performance.” Minah’s mom said.

 

Kai felt his heart shatter. All this time Minah has been talking about him to her mom and yet all he did was push her away and hurt her because of his stupid popularity. Kai excused himself and went out of her house and ran into his. He crashed down onto his couch and closed his eyes in frustration. He regretted treating you so bad. He was slapping his face in order to harm himself, but he figured that it wouldn’t hurt as much as the amount of pain he caused you.  ‘Im so sorry Minah’

On the other hand Mina was in the line up waiting to board the plane. She checked her phone about a million times in the past hour hoping for a call. Finally it was her turn to board and she sat down on her chair in the plane. She checked the time 11:45 Pm.  Minah was shaking, anxious for a call, but she didn’t get one yet.

 

Kai hadn’t noticed that he fell asleep on the couch. He was so frustrated as soon as he woke up. He felt empty. Then he jolted up from his seat and dashed out his door to the garbage can. He forgot about the letter that you gave him. He looked through his garbage can for ten minutes until he found the letter. He didn’t mind all the garbage and food, or even the smell around him. He quickly tore open the envelope and opened the letter.  He read it to himself.

 

“Dear Jongin, This will probably be my last letter that I will ever write to you. I want you to know that I love You. I don’t care about all the things you did to me. I still remember the old you Jongin. Do you remember when we used to tell each other secrets about our dreams? You said you wanted to be a dancer and I am so glad you still haven’t given up on that dream and that you are trying your best to achieve it. I remember when you asked me what my dream was and I said I’ll tell you when I’m ready. I never had the courage to tell you, but here I am telling you in a letter 5 years later. My dream Jongin was to be with you, through your hardships and your good memories. I wanted to be there with you for everything, but I guess it didn’t turn out that way. Im leaving Jongin. Im going to America and Im not coming back. I hope you can call me once more before I leave. I don’t know if you still have my phone number. Do you remember? We made the phone number together so we could never forget. I still haven’t changed it. Call me Jongin, before 12 when my flight leaves. If you call I’ll know that you at least care for me even if it is only 0.01%. Please call me Jongin. It’s my last wish. Although I couldn’t achieve my dream, I hope you will achieve yours. Sincerely, Minah.”

Jongin hasn’t realized that he was crying this whole time. Tears would continue to drop down onto the letter. Jongin quickly took out his phone it was 11:59 pm. He was shocked he tried to remember your number.

“What was it! Ugh!!” Jongin screamed. He didn’t care if his neighbors could hear. He had to figure it out.

 

“Miss you have to turn your phone off now. We are taking off.” The studies told Minah. Minah looked at the time on her phone it was 12 pm. She hoped Jongin would call, but he didn’t. A little boy came up to her and stared at her and the phone.

“ Do you want this phone little boy” Minah asked.

The boy nodded and Minah gave him the phone that was turned off.

 

‘ There’s no point of keeping it. I have to buy a new phone in America anyways. I guess you really don’t care about me Jongin…not even a little. Im sorry I bothered you for so long.

 

Minah cried one last time. She promised herself it would be the last time she ever cried for Jongin.

When Kai figured out her number he quickly dialed it. “This number is unavailable at the moment..” the voice recording said. He checked the time with shaky fingers tears pooling in his eyes disallowing him from having a clear vision. It was then he realized for the first time in his life that he has loved Minah all along, but he was too stupid to realize it. Jongin squinted his eyes letting the tear drop down onto his phone. It was 12:01. ‘I love you Minah’ Jongin said quietly, but he knew he was A minute too late.