Behind Jobeeloy

Encounters with Love

“Just for a day?” Jiyong repeated her sister’s condition.

“Yeah. Just for a day and this studio is all yours. Deal?” Dami said, offering her hand to him for a shake.

“You’re on, sister! Deal,” Jiyong agreed enthusiastically, shaking Dami’s hand.

“Oh this will be easy-peasy,” he mumbled as he walked out of the studio.

“This will be fun,” Dami smiled as she watched her brother’s back disappearing by the corner.

 

 

 

 

“Dara! Is Durami dressed already? The visitors want to see her already!” Dara heard her mother’s voice downstairs despite the loud music playing outside and the chatters of the people.

“Just a minute, Omma!” She responded back to her mother. She placed a headband with two fluffy circle antennas on Durami’s head.

“There! Fairy Durami is all ready!” She said before tapping the little girl’s nose with her finger.

Durami shook her head, her eyebrows were mashed together which Dara find really adorable. “No. Checkpoint first, Dara!”

She giggled. “Okay. Fairy Durami is now going under checkpoint. Zuuuuuunnnn~ Fairy fluffy antenna?”

Durami held the headband with antenna, “Check!”

“Fairy wings?”

Durami tried to reach the wings on her back but her arms were too short. Dara giggled again when she saw her little sister’s stuggle.

“I can see your wings here, fairy Durami. So wings are check,” she supplied.

“Check!” Durami repeated.

“Fairy dress?”

“Check!”

“Fairy dust?”

“Che-“ Durami ran towards the side of the door to get a pouch full of candies. “Check!”

“Okay then. Zuuuunnnn~ Checkpoint is finish. Fairy Durami is ready!”

Durami raised her arms and Dara picked her up. When they went downstairs, the two were immediately surrounded by lots of aunties who kept on kissing both of them. Durami hid her face on Dara’s shoulder, trying to evade the kisses for her.

“Looks like somebody is getting impatient to start the party. You should bring her outside already, Dara,” one of the middle-aged woman said.

“Neh, if you will excuse us,” Dara bowed politely at the aunties before heading at their backyard. A big tarpaulin with “Happy 6th Birthday Durami” was hanging on the wall. There were two, big long tables with assortment of foods and drinks on it. Mini tables and chairs were scattered here and there. Some kids were sitting while others were doing their own business here and there. Adults were mingling with each other, chatting and catching up.

“Oh! Everyone! The star of the day is here!” The hired host for Durami’s birthday exclaimed.

And the party began.

 

 

 

 

******

 

 

 

 

“Bom-bom!” Durami happily shouted when she saw Bom walking towards their direction.

“Happy birthday my baby Durami!” Bom kissed Durami on her cheeks before handing the girl a big Moomim plushie. Durami immediately hugged the stuff toy and buried herself on it. Even Dara was having a bit of a hard time seeing Bom because the plushie was covering her vision too, as she was still carrying Durami. She moved Durami a bit on her side so she can properly talk to Bom.

“I’m glad you showed up. You finally convinced Seunghyun?” She asked her best friend who was supposedly not available that day.

“Of course! The only reason he doesn’t let me go out by myself these days is because Dong Wook was lurking around me. But since I allowed him to drop me off and fetch me here, he agreed. Also, I wouldn’t miss it for the world to attend Durami’s birthday. Right baby?” Bom explained as she pinched Durami’s puffy cheeks, but Durami just ignored Bom and continued making gooey eyes at the Moomim plushie.

“So you’re in charge of Durami today?” Bom asked her.

“Yeah. Omma wanted Gummy unnie to help her around so I am to babysit Durami today,” she said.

“Oh, what a waste. And here I thought we can do some catching up today. Let me just go and get some snacks to eat then,” Bom said before disappearing inside the house.

 

“You love Bom unnie’s gift?” She asked Durami who was still busy marvelling at the Moomim plushie. Durami nodded but she didn’t take her eyes off it.

“So what’s the name of your new friend?” Dara asked again. This time, Durami looked at her before staring intensely back at Moomim.

“Pyu,” Durami said after a while.

“Pyu? Is that her name?” She smiled hearing the random choice of name of the little girl still on her arms. Durami just nodded.

“Should we give Pyu to Gummy unnie first?” She asked but the little girl shook her head. Honestly, her arms were already aching from carrying Durami for a long time. The little girl didn’t want to play the games of her own party.  And it didn’t help that the stuff toy was kind of limiting her movements.

“But Moo– I mean Pyu is already sleepy. Look at her,” she said to convince Durami.

“Pyu is sleepy?” Durami asked, tilting her head to one side.

“Yeah. Look at her, you should let her sleep first. You can play with her later when she wakes up.”

Durami just make a sad face before starting to twist her body, looking for Gummy. Dara walked near the big tables where Gummy was standing at. When Durami saw her babysitter, she immediately handed her the stuff toy.

“What is this, Durami?” Gummy asked, smiling.

“Pyu is sleepy. Unnie should make her sleep, like when Durami is sleepy.” Durami answered. Dara just smile at Gummy before the latter went back inside the house. She moved Durami on her right arm so that the left can rest for awhile.

“The mascot is here!” She suddenly heard the host enthusiastically telling everyone about the mascot’s arrival.

The children all turned around and saw a fat red bee emerged from the house. After a second of silence, they all rushed towards the mascot and hugged him. The bee mascot almost fell if not for his good balance.  

“Okay kids, the mascot can’t breathe. You should let him stand here in the center first,” the host said as she guided the mascot in the center.

“Are you happy with our guest?” The host energetically asked and the kids happily answered ‘Yes!’

The mascot suddenly turned his back on them.

“Oh! Looks like our guest doesn’t want to be called as mascot. Okay! Before we all play and dance with our guest, should we all know his name first?!”

“Yes!”

 “Okay! The mascot’s name is,” the host acted like she’s whispering, afraid that the mascot will hear her, “Jo-lli-bee.”

Murmurs were heard from the children, testing the name of the mascot.

“Okay Okay! Kids, do you want our guest to turn around and play with us already?”

“Yeah!”

“Well then, let’s call him altogether! When I count to three, you’ll say his name okay?”

“Okay!”

“Okay! One, two, three!”

“Jollibee!” The kids said and the mascot twisted its body a bit and looked at them, but turned back again.

“Ooh~ looks like Jollibee didn’t hear us well. Let’s all call him again. One, two, three – “

“Jollibee!!!” The mascot fully looked at them for a while, and the kids giggled and laugh. But then he turned around again. This time, the kids ranted.

“Jollibee seems to have hearing problems. Should we shout his name louder? One, two ,three!”

“Jollibee!!”

“Again!”

“Jollibee!! JOLLIBEE!!!!” The mascot turned around again and after a second, the music played and he started to dance. The kids were really delighted to him dancing; they started dancing with him too. Some were clinging on his legs even though he was moving here and there. 

 

“Where are we going, Dara?” Durami asked when Dara started walking towards the direction of the bee mascot.

“We’ll greet the mascot,” she answered. The mascot noticed them and started heading their direction.

“No! No! No!!! Durami don’t want! Dara, Durami is afraid of the monster!!” Durami started to cry and struggled out of Dara’s arms.

“Sshhh, no baby, it’s okay. He’s not a monster, baby. He’s a mascot. He just want to be your friend,” she tried to console her sister.

“Don’t want!” Durami buried her face on Dara’s shoulder and continued to cry. Dara sighed and rubbed Durami’s back repeatedly. The mascot was already standing at their front, seemingly waiting for Durami. Then, an idea came to her mind.

“Look baby, unnie’s touching him and unnie’s just fine. Come on baby, he won’t hurt us,” she cooed. But Durami just shook her head and mumbled some incoherent words.

“He’s not a monster, baby. You know we don’t like monsters too, right? We won’t invite monsters here. But he’s not a monster. Look, Dara’s touching him and I’m not crying. He just want to be your friend, baby,” she continued to convince Durami while holding onto the mascot’s wrist.

Durami peeked a little from Dara’s shoulder and looked at Dara’s hand, then on the strange-looking creature in front of her. When the mascot tilted its head to the side, Durami hid again on Dara’s shoulders.

“You know Durami, that is your sister’s boyfriend so you don’t need to be afraid,” Bom suddenly appeared beside them.

“What the heck are you saying, you corn monster?!” Dara shot a pointed look at Bom, but her best friend just shrugged and continued munching her corn.

“She’s your boyfriend, Dara?” Durami sniffed, lifted her head and looked at her innocently.

“Y-yes,” she smiled at her younger sister. “He’s my boyfriend so you don’t have to be afraid, baby. That’s why he wanted to be your friend.”

Durami then turned her head and stared at the mascot in front of them for a while. Slowly, she twisted her body and reached both of her arms towards the mascot.

The mascot gently took Durami from her arms and hugged the little girl for a while. He then started swaying his body before suddenly tossing her on the air and catching her.

“Aaahh!” Durami screamed and it made Dara scared for a second. Just then, Durami started giggling.

“Again, again!” The mascot did what Durami asked and threw her on the air again, catching her afterwards. He did it for three more times when he felt something on his legs. A little boy was tugging on his legs.

“I want to fly, too!” The little boy beamed. He was about to give Durami back to Dara when Durami suddenly hugged his neck tighter. He saw Durami shook her head, as if saying she doesn’t want to go down. Then, the little boy tugged him again.

“Let me fly too, Durami!” The little boy demanded.

“No!! Only Durami is flying!” Durami shook her head once again.

“Baby, come on. Let Yeol fly too. It won’t be for long,” Dara said and extended her arms to get Durami but the latter just shook her head again.

“Run!! Let’s run Jobeeloy!” Durami screamed. The mascot placed Durami on his back and ran. Yeol chased them. The other kids saw the three running, and thinking it’s a tag game, joined the three afterwards.

Dara smiled as she watched them. She felt relieve that Durami was having fun with Jolibee and her friends.

“Guess you’ve been relieved with babysitter duties. Should we go attack the cupcakes already? Auntie said she ordered them especially for us,” Bom said, now munching the second corn on her plate. Dara can only shake her head seeing her friend’s appetite.

 “Alright. Just let me ask Gummy unnie to look out for Durami. She might suddenly look for me or for Omma,” she said. She talked to Gummy first before the two finally head to the table where the cupcakes are. After getting some, they occupied an empty table and Dara stared at the mascot playing with Durami and other kids.

“I wonder how it feels to be inside that costume,” Dara mused.

“For sure it’ll make you feel hot,” Bom answered.

“And wet and sticky,” Dara continued. The two looked at each other for two seconds before bursting out into laughs.

“But I wonder, why is Jollibee the one in here. The kids are wearing fairies and trolls costume,” Bom asked, thinking how out of place the red bee mascot seemed to be.

“Uhhh, because he’s a bee?” She lamely answered, and Bom just gave her a blank stare.

“What?” She asked, laughing.

Just then, they heard Dara’s name being called. When they looked at the source, they saw Durami crying and struggling from Gummy’s arms.

“Looks like you’re on again for babysitter’s duties. Good luck! I’ll finish the cupcakes for you,” Bom smiled charmingly at her and Dara just laughed.

She then head to where Durami was and took the little girl back to her arms.

 

 

 

***********

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, why are you not taking a picture with your boyfriend?” Durami asked her when the little girl reached her. The party was about to end and the kids were taking photos with the mascot.

“E-eh? What are you saying, Durami?”

“Are you angry at him, unnie? Did he make you cry?”Durami continued to ask as she slipped her little hand to Dara’s hand.

“It’s not like that, baby. I told you he won’t hurt me right?” She answered.

“Then why are you not taking a photo?” Durami asked once again.

“Ah, I’m just letting your friends first,” she replied. “Do you want to go to your room already and open your gifts?” She asked Durami but the latter just shook her head.

“Let’s just wait here so you can have a picture with him. Bom- Bom said a picture is important for you and your boyfriend.”

The two had to wait for some minutes before there were no other kids taking a picture with the mascot. Durami then run to the mascot and tugged on his legs.

“You can take a picture with Dara already, Jobeeloy,” Durami said.

“Jobeeloy?” She smiled hearing how Durami called the bee mascot. Durami had this tendency to jumble words and names with more than three syllables.

“Oh! So Dara is taking a picture with her boyfriend?” Bom appeared out of nowhere once again.

“Bom-bom!” Durami squealed and jumped towards Bom, who lifted her up. Dara was just glaring at her friend whom she knows has something for her own amusement.

“I ask Dara to take a picture with Jobeeloy, just like what you said,” Durami informed Bom.

“Just what the heck did you bribe Durami with?” Dara asked, her eyes turning into slits.

“Nothing!” Bom responded defensively. She then whispered something to Durami.

“Let’s start! Jobeeloy, you should put your hands on my unnie’s shoulder,” Durami commanded. When Jollibee did, Durami nodded in satisfaction. “Okay, you can take a picture already.”

The photographer angled the camera at the two, and Dara just smiled. Bom whispered something again at Durami’s ears.

“Jobeeloy, back hug!” Jollibee moved at Dara’s back before lowering his body down a bit, his face on level with Dara’s face. He then encircled his arms around her chest. Dara coudn’t help but stiffen. It’s not like she hadn’t experienced back hug with guys before but a mascot, with a stranger inside, doing it felt so weird.

“Unnie should smile again and hold Jobeeloys arms,” Durami said. Dara just sighed and followed Durami’s request. After all, she couldn’t win against her little sister.

For every new pose that the two will do, Bom would whisper something to Durami. Dara was silently pounding and strangling Bom with her hands. This friend of hers really knew how to make her embarrass.

“Jobeeloy, you should carry Dara like when I make Tamtam sleep,” Durami ordered once again.

“Bommie!” Dara shouted, totally embarrass with what her best friend is asking her to do with the mascot. Of all the poses, this one was something really awkward for her. But Bom knew very well that Dara has a very soft spot for Durami so she can’t say no.

Jollibee just tilted his face from side to side and Bom got the message.

“Jobeeloy said he didn’t know how. You should show him, Durami,” Bom told Durami. Durami lifted both of her hands up to her chest, her palms were both facing upwards. She then started to sway her body left and right. Jollibee finally got what Durami was asking him and he got closer again to Dara. Dara was still busy sending daggers to Bom that she didn’t notice Jollibee moving at her back. She squeaked when he suddenly lifted her up, bridal style. Durami jumped in delight, happy that Jollibee understood her while Bom just smiled in satisfaction.

“Picture!” Durami ordered again. Dara can just smile at the first shot, but when Bom and Durami demanded to have more shots in that position, she can’t help but to groan and just hide her face on her hands. After some shots, Jolibee gently put her down before bowing at her. Dara smiled, at least the mascot has some manners. After that, Jolibee walked back inside the house. Well he tried but steps before he can go inside, he was tackled by kids again.

 

“Did you enjoy your birthday, Durami?” Dara asked her little sister.

“ahummm. Dara, I’m sleepy already,” Durami nodded before she reached her hands to Dara. Dara took her from Bom, and Durami automatically laid her head on Dara’s shoulders and closed her eyes.

“I’ll just put her in her room. You and I, we’ll be having a long talk,” Dara said pointedly at Bom.

“Oh! Look at the time. Seunghyun said he’ll pick me up now. Bye Dara! Relay my regards to auntie!”

“Bommie!!!!” Dara screamed. Bom immediately ran past Dara to the house. She didn’t really want to taste the wrath of Ssantokki.

 

 

 

*******

 

 

“Thank you again, Dami. Your services are really good. Durami had fun!” Mrs. Park said as she hugged Dami.

“It’s always my pleasure, auntie. I’m glad you like our service,” Dami hugged the woman back.

“Omma?” Dara’s head peeked onto the room. “I put Durami to sleep already. Do you need me to do anything else?”

“Oh, thank you Dara. You can rest already, sweetie,” Mrs. Park smiled at her daughter.

“Is she your eldest daughter?” Dami asked.

“Ah, yeah. I still haven’t introduced her to you before?” Mrs. Park asked and Dami just shook her head. “Ah, it must have slip off my mind. Dara, sweetie, come here for a moment.”

Dara entered the room where most of Dami’s staff members are, arranging the things they used during the party.

“Dami, this is Sandara. She’s my eldest daughter. But anyway, you can just call her Dara. Dara, this is Dami. She’s our caterer for today.” Mrs. Park introduced the two.

“Hi Dara. You are really beautiful, you know,” Dami complimented her.

“Ah, thank you unnie. You look beautiful too,” Dara blushed and bowed at Dami.

“Waa, are you actually blushing?” Dami laughed at Dara’s reaction.  “Don’t tell me you’re not used with people telling you you’re beautiful?”

“Ah, it’s not like that unnie,” Dara said, her cheeks still the color of flaming red.

“Dara’s like that with the new people she met,” Mrs. Park filled in.

Just then, the mascot entered the room and directly sat on the couch at the corner of the room. After some seconds, he lifted the Jolibee’s head off his head and took a deep breath. A young looking guy had his eyes close for a moment. His hair was dripping wet with all the sweat from playing with the kids. He took a cardboard lying on the floor and started to fan himself, relieving him a bit of the heat he was feeling. He wanted to remove the whole costume already but he badly needed to sit first; his feet were aching because of too much running around with the kids and standing all afternoon.

“Aish, seriously, why are those kids still so hyper? The party’s already finished,” he mumbled.

Unknown to him, three pair of eyes were watching his actions.

“Isn’t he your brother, Dami?” Mrs. Park suddenly looked at Dami, confusion written at her face.

Dami just laughed good- naturedly and nodded her head.

“Is he working as one of your staff?” Mrs. Park asked once again.

“For today, yes. He wants something from me but I won’t give it to him unless he works. He agreed to be the mascot for today. It’s actually a good thing, my staff in-charge of being today’s mascot is sick.” Dami explained.

 “Wow, you’re such a good sister, teaching him to work hard for something he wants,” Mrs. Park chuckled. “But your brother is really handsome, Dami. It looks like he’s around Dara’s age, don’t you think sweetie?”

“A-ah, y-yeah, I think,” Dara stopped staring at Jiyong and looked back at the two ladies in front of her.

 “Oh, should I introduce you to him?” Dami enthusiastically said. “Jiyong!” she called him.

“What?” Jiyong looked at his sister, annoyed.

“Come here or no studio. The day is not yet finished.” Dami said sternly. Jiyong just glared at her, before letting out a deep breath. He walked toward her, the mascot’s costume still on his body. Just when he was a few steps away from his sister he had noticed that there were two other ladies with her: a middle-aged looking woman and

“Hi girlfriend,” Jiyong immediately said when he reached the three. He was looking at Dara, wearing a smirk on his face. Dara’s cheeks immediately turned red, remembering her encounters with the mascot earlier during the birthday party. The other two ladies were just looking at the two, confused.

“Ahh, uhm, well, Mrs. Park, Dara, this is Jiyong. He’s my younger brother. Jiyong, this is Mrs. Park and this is Dara. They’re the family who hired us,” Dami said after a while.

“It is nice to meet you, Jiyong. The kids were really happy playing with you. Thank you,” Mrs. Park smiled at him tenderly.

“It’s nice meeting you too ma’am. Your daughter’s friends are really full of energies. I can’t almost keep up with them,” he smiled back at Mrs. Park. Then he looked back at Dara.

“Oh, so my girlfriend’s name is Dara. It’s nice finally knowing your name,” he .

“Aiyoo,” Dara mumbled as she covered her face with her hands.

“Jiyong, what are you saying?!” Dami asked.

“It’s a secret, noona. The story is just between her and me,” he grinned.

“Can I have my girlfriend’s number then?” He continued.

“E-eh??” Dara suddenly lifted her head up, staring wide-eyed at Jiyoong.

“Jiyong! What are you doing hitting on Dara?” Dami hissed at him. “I’m sorry, Mrs. Park, Dara. Please ignore my brother,” Dami looked apologetically at the woman beside her.

Mrs. Park just chuckled, “Don’t worry Dami. Dara’s old enough to handle teasings like this. And I wouldn’t mind him hitting on my Dara. He’s handsome after all.”

“Omma!” This time, it’s Dara’s turn to protest.

“What? Don’t tell me you disagree?” Mrs. Park some more, and Dami just laughed seeing the mother playing match-maker. Jiyong snorted and Dara’s blush deepened.

“All right. Let’s leave the two have their get-to-know-each-other moment,” Mrs.Park said and started dragging Durami out of the room.

“Jiyong! Before you make more moves on Dara, be sure to change your clothes first! You might think you look y in that wet hair but it’s actually a turn off you know,” Dami shouted as they exited the room.

Jiyong snorted again before looking at Dara, who was still blushing hard.

“Where am I? Ah yeah, I’m about to exchange number with my girlfriend. So, your number?” He grinned.

“W-why do you want my number? It’s obvious that was all an act for Durami,” Dara said.

“Well, maybe if I’m not interested on you at all, I wouldn’t really get your number, would I?”

“Y-you’re interested?!”

“Why are you so shocked?”

“Just... nothing, uhm...”

“So, your number?” He repeated.

“You said you know I won’t hurt you, right?” He added. Dara hesitated before sighing in defeat.

“My number is...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Behind the story:

Well, first of all, I’m sorry for the ending. I know the ending . LMAO XD I can’t think of another ending already so~~~~

You see, I was watching this variety show called “Eat Bulaga” sometime during the past. There is a segment in that show where a lucky winner for the day got a visit from the show’s hosts and was given “gifts” and yeah. Well, basically, what happened was the husband of the winner of that day was asked about his job. One of the hosts can very well sympathize with him because the host experienced the same job, and the interview was really funny. XD But guess what’s their job? Yep! They were the mascots during birthday parties! And well, I had  one of my eureka moments when I thought of making a Daragon story and they met during the party (with Jiyong being the mascot!) Kkkkkkkkkkkkk

By the way, sorry for the long wait. Ah, I’m kinda slow in updating and stuffs, especially because, well, I need to graduate. LOL  Yeah, the general plot of the story was on my mind on that day already but I was only able to finish writing the it earlier while waiting for YGFamCon. OTL

Ah and can I just share that this is supposed to be the second one-shot and not the first one? Apparently, I’m kinda having a writer’s block with the other story so I can’t finish it yet. I’m stuck on the middle part T____T good thing I got this mascot inspiration~ ppyong! See you in the next story~

Ah yeah, if you’re not yet familiar, Moomim plushie is one pf Bom’s stuff toys kkkkkkkk But I just learned yesterday that it's called Poong Poong~

I still need to proofread this so sorry for the grammatical problems.

PS. Sorry for the long A/N