If Only

Write Me A Story

Robot!Kai and Deceased!Jongdae (implied KaiChen)
Warning: slight angst?

 

A young man, about the age of 20, sits idly atop a heaping pile of metal that's probably four times his own height. His thin, worn t-shirt and ripped jeans cling to his toned body, skin tanned perfectly. The young man's messy brown locks of hair flutter in the chilly breeze although the rest of him stays perfectly still, seemingly unaffected by the cold wind. His desolate, glowing, black eyes stare out into the vast wasteland in front of him. Tall, majestic buildings turned into pathetic heaps of steel and glass; trees and wildlife burned to a black ashy soot, covering the rocky terrain. Gripping the metal on either side of himself, it bends and crumbles under his hands before he pushes off, landing lightly on his feet at the bottom of the metal mound. Walking around the scrapped metal, the brunette boy stops before a large rock that reaches approximately the middle of his thigh. Sitting down, he leans back against the rock and slowly closes his eyes. He hears a soft whirring in his ears, like that of an old computer, but ignores it, choosing to open his mouth instead.

 

"If only I wasn't like this", he spoke in a rustic voice that hasn't been used in a long time "if only I had been what you had been". The whirring gets louder but it's of no importance to the young man.

 

"If only I were a human. I could have been kinder to you. I could have spent my entire life with you. I could have fallen for you the way you had fallen for me", the man frowns "or maybe; if only I had been programmed correctly. I could have ended it painlessly and quickly for you. I would have never felt remorse. I would have never ended up loving you the way you loved me". Opening his eyes slowly, the young man stares blankly at the nothingness before him with sorrow filled eyes.

 

"If only I hadn't met you. I could have fulfilled my mission. I could have been deemed a hero. I would have never been titled as a 'failed project' and maybe I wouldn't have to be in this situation right now", letting out a sigh, his eyes dim, their slight glow disappearing and making them seem hollow and lifeless, "If only you had never been so kind. I would have never hidden you when they planned to bomb the city and destroy me. I would have never gone rampant when they almost found you. I would have never destroyed everything. I would have never had to watch you age and pass away in this barren wasteland I created. Even if you said you were perfectly content as long as we were together"

 

The whirring in his ears seemed to go deafeningly loud but he didn't care, "If only you had never loved me. If only I had never learned to love you. If only we had met at a different time as different people. I woul- . . . I mean, we would have never been in this mess. I wouldn't have to feel so alone. But I guess that'll all change now, won't it?"

 

With a sorrowful smile, his arms went limp, "If only we could have gotten through this together like you always wanted, Jongdae", whispering the last part, his eyes flutter shut with various click sounds, like a camera shutter, and the explosive whirring dies down into nothingness. The glowing words engraved onto his forearm flash a bright neon green before going completely dark and the body falls with a hollow, metallic clang.

 

Project Number 8821
Robot of Destruction (R.o.D)

Kai