Meeting the Killers

Those Killer Angels

A/N: Writer's block is death =_= it's almost been a month since I've posted, so a super long chappie for you guise!
But thank you to all my readers, I really love you bubblies ^^ Please leave a comment down below, drop anything you'd like and I'll try to reply to all of them! Thank you again, and enjoy! <3


|Xiumin|

I don’t know where this craziness starts.

I don’t know where it ends, either.

We’re not supposed to be tired from concerts, dance practices, reality show filmings, photoshoots or anything like that. If these are simple things even regular mortals can accomplish, like the other human idols working for SM can, we should be able to do it plus hide our Angel identities plus find food. It should be easy.

But Goddamn is it hard.

It’s not the physical part of everything. It’s the mental part, of mentally being human and stowing away our true Killer instincts (which includes trying not to eat our fans). Sure, Kris and Suho have made it so that if one of us ever s up, we’ve got a cover for it. We can say it’s the superpower if Chanyeol, ever without control of his powers, accidentally burns someone to a crisp, or we can say it’s our power insignias if one of the permanent skin brands on our wrists ever shows. We can say it’s the Wolf concept if one of us Wolves accidentally morphs (usually Chen or Kris), and we can say it’s the stage makeup if someone asks why we’re always pale and with somewhat inhuman features.

But they’re all white lies. The insignias on our wrists are pretty much what makes us Killer. Aside from marking us the way human criminals used to get tattoos on their foreheads after their release, it is the one thing that keeps us practically immortal and chained to Earth. It makes us crave human flesh, turn into things we aren’t, and become, essentially, monsters - if we weren’t monsters to begin with already. The Wolf concept literally entails what we are as Wolves, minus the ugly-beast-morphing part and the people-eating part. And every human knows stage makeup can work wonders for people; naturally, Angels are on a higher standard than humans and we are just built this way. No act of human configuration or Luhan’s mind skills can change our facial features.

Our life on Earth is one big lie, basically.

I wonder what would happen if we didn’t lie, if we were just ourselves and we ate anyone when we felt like it. Life wouldn’t be so hard. We wouldn’t have to cover as Idols and put in twice the effort to act human, like we do now. If some paranoid humans found us out, it’s not easy for us to die, anyway.

But I’m not the boss here; Kris is. And the boss makes the rules. What he says, goes. Even if you want to challenge it, it’d take a hell lot of work to get him to change his mind.

I’m the oldest, one of the lords, but Kris is essentially the ultralord. I maintain a certain respect being the oldest; even Kris respects me and my opinions. I may have a large majority in the say, but it’s inevitably his decision.

See.

Even brutal Killers like us have a hierarchy.


 

Chapter 3: Meeting the Killers

 

Your POV~

“Come on!” Jisang pulled you excitedly to the grand entrance of the concert hall. “We’re going to be late!”

You rolled your eyes. “We’re three hours early, Jisang.”

She sighed and shook her head at you, but her near-terrifying ecstasy was too much for her to keep up the disappointed expression. She just gestured to the growing line while squealing.

You looked ahead. Sure enough, the line just to enter the building stretched far out, almost to where you two were at the parking lot. And this was supposed to be an assumedly “private” concert. The tickets cost an arm and a leg (and maybe a foot depending on how good your connections were), so you stared in amazement at all the happy EXO fans waiting in line. Man, these people were dedicated.

Jisang laughed at you, reading your mind. “Yeah, this is just a private showcase, where they perform for rich sponsors or privileged people. Imagine the line at a public concert! I mean, everyone wants to get close to the EXO members so they just might be touched by those heavenly gods.” She sighed dreamily, putting a hand on her heart and silently fangirling.

You snorted and smoothed out your dress, feeling that all this preparation had been a bit useless. It wasn’t like the EXO members could identify one crazy fan from another anyway. Still, Jisang had dragged you to the most expensive department store at the mall and insisted that the most expensive dress you tried on had been the “perfect” one. You had to admit, it did flatter your body but not to the point of “ultimate iness,” quoting Jisang. You’d bought it anyway, thinking YOLO and why the not and also crying a little as your wallet suddenly deflated dramatically.

You were wearing a light, peach-colored bodycon dress that wrapped around your torso, cut off right above your knees, and had long lace sleeves. It had a sweetheart neckline and complimented your skin tone perfectly. Jisang had curled your hair, pulled a chunk of it into a small braid alongside your head, and done your makeup, “natural but super y,” as she’d commented. She’d forced you to wear beige sandal wedges with floral print the color of your dress, but you’d thrown on an off-white moto jacket just to defy her.

Jisang wore a silky, jewel-toned green emerald A-line dress that flared out slightly at the skirt, stopping at the knees. She’d pulled a small, royal blue cardigan over it and tied her hair into a topknot that was textured with braids in the bun. Her makeup had been a bit more dramatic, with dark green eyeshadow and shocking cobalt blue eyeliner that ended in a cat flick. She’d even applied some glitter on the sides of her eyes, clearing wanting to impress the boys. She’d added velvety midnight blue pumps to pull the outfit together, but you could tell she was already tiring of them. You still thought she looked dazzlingly beautiful, and you’d told her, but she didn’t believe you because you were usually sarcastic. As you both stood in line and Jisang chatted away while you half-listened, you thought what a waste it was for her to dress up so gorgeously to guys onstage who would either be too busy performing, or wouldn’t give a . You knew she was generally preparing for the backstage visit, but they would probably think the meeting as just another sort of fanservice rich girls received.

You had still felt you were both overdressed and overly formal when you were in the car (which was a small crappy Hyundai 90’s model that contrasted ironically with your outfits), but now staring at the line, you realized Jisang had been right about the formality of the concert, although you couldn’t really fathom why. You were wearing a more casual outfit compared to everyone else, which was quite surprising to you because your idea of a “casual” outfit was a t-shirt and jeans.

The air was chilly and stale. You shivered uncomfortably in your tight dress and the wedges that pinched your toes, wondering how all the girls in front of you could take the weather with their bare shoulders and six-inch stilettos. Jisang explained to you the silly names fans had dubbed them.

“Kris is the Picasso of the group, although he draws like a first grader. So I’m pretty sure they’re trolling everyone and making fun of him. It’s okay if he’s a terrible artist though, because his smoking hotness covers up for everything. The members say he gets the most girls.” She winked and smiled. All you could think of was his eyes, and how soulless they seemed on the talk show you’d watched, and on countless reruns of variety shows. You pushed the paranormalcy thoughts away, not wanting to ruin the concert for anyone.

“Of course, there’s Sehun,” Jisang was saying. “He’s the quiet maknae that has probably changed his hair into every color in existence already; he even had rainbow hair for a while!” She smiled and squeezed herself happily.

She rambled on about the other members, pausing for an especially long commentary on D.O, her favorite, but it was the last one whose name caught your attention and made you in your breath.

“...and Kai...oh can you stop with that look on your face, there’s no way you saw him in public, he is way too famous for that...”

You’d told her about seeing the distorted image of Kai a few days after you’d seen him, and just as you expected Jisang didn’t believe you. You didn’t blame her; you would’ve scoffed at the exact same story, even as obsessed with paranormal occurrences as you were. But you couldn’t get it out of your mind. If said KPop star had really been standing out in the middle of the intersection as the stoplights were red, what would he have even been doing there? Why did he appear 2D and flat, as if on a television screen with bad reception?

And most of all, if he really was there why didn’t anyone see anything? If EXO was as famous as they were said to be, why didn’t anyone in their cars or on the street recognize him? Even if he wasn’t some famous hotshot idol, someone would’ve told him to get out of the way. But no one did. They acted...they acted as though…

They didn’t see him. He was never there.

You might’ve blamed it on your own vision and delusional imagination, but you almost never imagined things. And he was someone that you’d never seen before that day. If he’d been some random guy, you might’ve written him off as a ghost or some other strange existence.

But he wasn’t just anyone. He was a KPop idol, part of a renowned entertainment boyband. It was impossible for him to be a ghost at the least - he was going to perform right in front of you in mere minutes.

“...Seoyang? Earth to Seoyang! The concert is about to start and I haven’t even talked about Kyungie’s beeyootifull lips yet!”

You blinked rapidly and took in a deep breath, taking in your surroundings. While you’d been lost in your thoughts, Jisang had gained you two access to the VIP seats assigned and sat you down, still talking nonstop about the boys’ looks and “adorably dorky” personalities. The concert hall had gradually filled up with chattering, ecstatic fans. The air was thick with anticipating electricity.

You took a deep breath. My imagination has gone wild. Truly wild.

Kai was a real person. And even though the person in the street seemed just as real and practically identical, there was no way the person could’ve been a K-idol the status of Kai. He was a nobody, probably configured from the deep, half-dead bowels of your brain and projected onto the street as if he were a somebody. But no. The person you were about to see was the real Kai, the same one on TV and in variety shows and media.

The person you had seen was someone you’d made up.

You could hear thuds and footsteps from behind the curtains as the boys prepared. And then, the curtain lifted.

The screams around you elevated to a point where you could practically feel your ears going deaf - and with Jisang joining in, it wasn’t really helping. You surveyed the stage and the carefully positioned boys as calmly as you could, trying not to curl up in a ball on your seat and cover your ears and cry when you noticed the cute EXO-M boy with large eyes, puffy hair, and high cheekbones looking at you. Luhan?

He was frowning, but he quickly looked away when your eyes met, in the almost guilty way that let you know he had been staring for a while. Since the curtain had lifted, maybe. Your heart seized in an instinctual panic, but he glanced up at the general crowd again, his smile now brilliant and bubbly, the eye contact severed and forgotten.

...What?

 

“Ms. Lee and Ms. Choi? Here, please.”

The man turned away, expecting you to follow. Jisang was squealing and clapping her hands rapidly while you blinked, trying to adjust your vision from the blinding stage lights.

Jisang obviously had the time of her life the entire concert, but you couldn’t shake off the strange, haunting feeling that followed you ever since you saw the boy on the street. You stared at Kai the most, not to observe his y pelvic s or charismatic winks, but to check if he was real. If he was truly a living being.

And he was. The thought was both relieving and unsettling that a) he was indeed 3D and very human, and b) you were paranoid and losing your mind.

You’d noticed that Luhan, the boy from before, gave you occasional glances when he was dancing and not looking at the cameras, his facial expressions warping from frowning when he looked at you to smiling at the other fans. You fidgeted constantly in your seat, wondering if it was your dress or something on your face that he was always staring at. Or maybe it wasn’t you. Maybe it was someone behind you. You couldn’t trust your mind, now that you knew the boy you had seen was the illusion of someone else.

It had been Luhan’s turn to solo at one point, but he had been staring in your direction and lagged about a second behind the music, catching quickly up but with the embarrassment evident on his face. The EXO members stared alarmingly at him. You’d noticed Kris’s thunderous glance at Luhan, the duizhang obviously striving for perfection.

What was going on?

And suddenly you were face-to-face with twelve gods.

“Oh. My. God.” You heard Jisang gasp, probably trying to stop herself from stuffing her fists into . You were still blinking, wondering how you’d gotten to this bright-lit dressing room and feeling incredibly stupid.

EXO looked up at the two of you, still in their costumes. You heard a short intake of breath and located the sound from Luhan, whose eyes had widened in surprise and recognition. You rubbed your arms nervously; surely Luhan’s reaction wasn’t the greatest when you didn’t even know each other. He was frowning, his eyebrows closely knit together as he studied you almost the way a scientist studies a lab rat.

Feeling extremely self-conscious, you glanced at each one. Kris’s cold gaze struggled to turn warm; Chen was frowning as if he had been arguing; Sehun was looking at Luhan in puzzlement; D.O. was looking away; Tao was playing with his fingers. There was a long, uncomfortable pause of silence as they wondered why two fangirls were standing in their lounge room.

“Ms. Lee Seoyang and Choi Jisang, here for the exclusive backstage visit,” the man who had taken you reported, shutting the door behind you.

One of the boys stood up immediately as guilty realization spread over his features, a warm smile on his strikingly handsome and mature face. Suho. He strode towards the two of you as you heard Jisang’s squeak from behind. He extended a hand, looking sweaty and slightly exhausted but still very friendly. “Hello, I’m Suho. Nice to meet you.”

You smiled back, stiffly grasping his hand in yours. “Hello, uh, Suho. Just call me Seoyang.” Your eyes averted quickly from his grinning face to the others. You couldn’t shake off the feeling anymore, or deny it. There was definitely something weird about them, something strange and cold that you couldn’t identify. Kris’s eyes in person were just as soulless as they were on camera; Chanyeol’s were frighteningly dark, and D.O’s were large and brooding - sad, almost. It freaked you out.

And Kai. You immediately sought him out, almost as if your brain wanted you to make sure he was a real being for the umpteenth time. He squinted at you, as if in recognition. You quickly looked away, your heart suddenly beating fast. And you knew it wasn’t because you were in the presence of hot boys.

Luhan cleared his throat. “Friends of manager Kang’s son?” he questioned.

You stared at him. “How did you know?”

“He told me,” he responded a little too quickly, looking down with color rising to his cheeks. Why was he acting so nervous?

Before you could question him, Kai suddenly stood up and grinned at the two of you. You immediately backed away while Jisang melted into a puddle of love - he was grinning like a predator would to his prey. He smelled like spicy cologne and woody musk - like a wolf. You guessed it was reasonable considering they were on a wolf theme, but really? The managers would make them smell like wolves, too?

He reached out a hand, and automatically you flinched away, bumping into Jisang behind you. He blinked, looking surprised, and laughed gently as if to lighten the mood. “Relax. I’m Kai.”

You nodded stiffly and took his hand, feeling your cheeks flush at your ridiculous reaction.

And then you quickly jerked your hand away. His was ice cold, and his nails felt as sharp as claws against your skin.

He looked into your eyes, as if in confusion. You wondered in the spur of the moment if he could see the terror. Because you now had no doubt that this was the boy you’d seen on the street. You just didn’t have any real explanation.

But you knew. He knew too. The confirmation was in his intense, dark gaze. It was him.

You just asked desperately, How?

Luhan suddenly leapt off his position on the sofa, looking frazzled and tense although no real conversation had happened. He was staring at the two of you with narrowed eyes, glaring bloody murder at Kai’s turned back. And, as if they had communicated without speech, Kai’s eyes squinted in anger and he stepped away from you.

You looked around, bewildered by this silent exchange. None of the EXO members seemed as tightly wound as the two. What the hell was going on?

Kai quickly regained his composure and gave you a look, a you weren’t supposed to see that look, and craned his neck past you to greet Jisang, so close that his chest was just inches away from your face. By his throaty laugh and the snickers of the other boys, her expression must’ve been like gold. Crazy fangirl. Of course she notices nothing. “And you are Ms. Choi?” he asked, breaking the silence and dipping his head respectfully. You wondered vaguely why Kai was so close you should’ve felt his body heat -

And then you blinked in shock, your heart skipping a beat.

You should’ve. You felt nothing at all.

Instead, you felt chills.

Jisang could barely nod her head, her eyes as wide as saucers. “J-Jisang,” she squeaked.

The twelve of them laughed; even cold- Kris, who spared a smile. Xiumin laughed the loudest. “I like this one, she’s cute,” he told the others.

Jisang’s eyes widened. You could totally tell the phrases Idol boyfriend and he’s my new bias were running through her head.

No one’s noticing all this? Is EXO blind that two of their members are freaks, or am I just going crazy?

Kai gestured the two of you to sit down on the white leather sofas, still with that predatory smile stretching his face. Jisang sat in between Xiumin and Luhan, her face brighter than you had ever seen it, while you took the single white armchair Kai had been sitting in. He perched on the arm of the chair, his feet casually laid on the glass coffee table in the center for support. He spread his long, strong arms across the head of the chair, so dangerously close to you. You could still sense the smirk on his face even though you couldn’t see him. Your heart pounded fast and loud, but you tried to remain stone-faced.

I am losing my ing mind.

Kris cleared his throat, his smile seeming forced. He was probably tired and didn’t want to deal with visits like these, but he was professional nonetheless. He leaned forward, his hands folded on his knees and looking innocently at you. “How’d you gain these passes?” Your breath hitched in your throat; he was the same as Kai with the menacing beauty and wolfish scent. It wasn’t just a trick of the camera or the television, you realized, when the black soulless eyes you stared into seemed just as depthless as you had seen, if not more.

Jisang hadn’t noticed what you had observed at all. She talked animatedly, quickly warmed up to the EXO members as Xiumin had his arm draped around her and Luhan gave her his full attention, although you could tell he was frowning on the inside. “Seoyang’s boyfriend Kang Hyunseuk’s father gave us backstage passes for my birthday!”

“I’m glad he did,” Xiumin said warmly. Jisang blushed.

Chen stuck out his tongue. “Wow, baozi’s finally scoring. Get a room!”

Kai looked at you, a small frown on his face. “You have a boyfriend?” He asked, almost innocently and sincerely. It would’ve been cute if not for those terrifyingly dark eyes. Kris stiffened and you were taken aback when you heard a strange sound come out of him - a growl? A warning growl?

You smiled, trying not to tremble. You folded your hands in your lap and hoped no one noticed how white and clammy they were. “He’s not. He’s just my best friend.”

“Ah, Kang manager hyung?” Kris asked, seeming sharp to change the subject.

“I believe we have met Hyunseuk before…” Suho mused.

While they talked amongst themselves, you looked around. They were still in full costume with their stage makeup, but you could see the youth underneath it all. They were all about your age; you were only a month younger than Oh Sehun, with the same birthdate as Xiumin. They did act a little more bizarre; aloof, with strange hand motions and gestures that you caught, but it must’ve been all their stage training and isolation since they’d become idols. At least, you hoped this was the case.

Jisang was obviously a more social person to start with, so she easily conversed with them while you kept your mouth shut and prayed to get out of there fast. You knew millions of fangirls would want your position right now, with Kai sitting so close and all twelve with their attention on you, but it was unnerving to say the least. They were all creepy as hell, and the worst part was you couldn’t even understand why. Maybe you really were paranoid. Or maybe they really were not of this earth. Maybe they were aliens that -

Someone tapped on you from above, and you looked up and jumped with a start when a sly, handsome face smiled down at you. His hand went to cup your chin.

Kai was towering over you, sitting on the armrest of your leather chair and grinning. “Hey,” he said seductively, wriggling his eyebrows.

Those eyes, those ing eyes. Your heart was beating so loudly you were sure he could hear it. How could you pretend you weren’t disturbed by him when he was holding your chin tight? And his hand was so ing cold...

“Hey...Kai.” You smiled hesitantly, feeling the terror in your throat.

He smirked. “Call me Jongin.”

All of EXO looked up. Suddenly their talking had stopped and an immense, almost hostile silence followed. Kris’s face contorted into something terrifying, an expression you’d never seen before on TV or anywhere else, for that matter. Suho shot a bug-eyed glance at Jongin, while Luhan just frowned and shook his head, as if he had already known this would happen.

What was the problem? Jisang was casting you a confused look and everyone else was staring at Jongin. You just wanted to get the hell out of there, because something private was definitely going on between the twelve members.

“Seoyang-ah, how’d you like the concert?” Luhan said quickly, breaking the silence and smiling almost nervously. His gaze darted back and forth, almost like he was sending messages to the others with only his expressions.

“Uh...fine, I guess.” You were too busy staring at his cryptic, nervous eyes to notice what you were saying. He was looking you up and down too, as if you were the answer to a question he didn’t understand.

“Fine?” Kris scoffed, his hands folded in his lap as he looked away from the direction of both you and Jisang. He bit his lip and glanced around the dressing room, looking for something.

You noticed the slight stiffening in the boys’ postures as they all looked at the duizhang. “It was amazing!” He added, standing up and grabbing a pair of shades from a small dressing table in front of a large mirror. He immediately put them on, and then gazed at his reflection.

There was a collective sigh from the others, as if everyone had been holding their breaths and the tension was now released. Xiumin grinned and continued to listen to Jisang’s rambling about her job at the department store. Chanyeol talked softly to Baekhyun, and Sehun playfully pretended to bite Luhan’s arm, even though the latter seemed distracted and concerned.

Your chin was still in Jongin’s long, callused fingers, but your eyes had followed Kris around. Right before he put on the sunglasses, a strange manner in itself as you were indoors, he looked at you.

His eyes, which you hadn’t had a good look at before, were red.

He turned around with the shades now on, but you could still tell he was staring straight at you. You immediately averted your eyes to look at Jongin without actually seeing him, your brain fumbling for an explanation and your heart pounding like a bird fluttering against your ribcage. There had to be an explanation for those eyes--was it the light shining directly onto his eyes? It wouldn’t have made them that red. Contacts? But you hadn’t noticed the redness onstage. Maybe they had been too far away.

I really need to get my vision checked, you thought.

But you had significantly remembered wondering why Kris’s eyes were so dark and soulless, both onstage and when you and Jisang had been introduced to them.

“Seoyang!” a deep, loud voice said, startling you out of your thoughts.

Jongin removed his fingers from your chin as you both stared at the speaker. His smile grew tight, showing more teeth than affection as the tall curly-haired boy you remembered as Chanyeol strode over to you.

You looked up as he stopped in front of you and grinned. His canines were abnormally long and sharp as well, so it must be the werewolf concept...although there was no sign of the same with other boys like Luhan and D.O. They must’ve taken the fake teeth off. Unless...

“Hello, I’m Chanyeol!” He laughed goofily and took your hand resting in your lap to shake it.

It was as if someone had touched you with a burning curling iron. A searing electric jolt crawled from your hand and up your arm, with twice the intensity of the chills from Kai’s hand. You yelped and jerked your hand back, alarmed. Your hand felt like it was on fire, although no damage was seen.

“God, I’m so sorry! Sorry!” Chanyeol leapt back in an inhumanly fluid movement, as if some invisible force had dragged him away. His hands were held up in apology, a deep frown set in his adorable eyes.

“What was that?” you hissed, cradling your arm to your body.

“Clumsy ,” you heard Kris mutter, his shades perched on his tall sharp nose.

Luhan jumped in and started to explain quickly, looking at you in a weird way as if he was trying to convince you simply by staring.“His hands are just abnormally warm sometimes--”

“I’m sorry, Seoyang!” Chanyeol continued to say. He started to lean over, reaching his hands out to you, but suddenly something blocked his path.

Jongin had leaped up from his position on the chair, his teeth bared and his eyes blazing. Things only animals might do. You blinked twice, swearing to yourself that by God you were imagining things and that the lighting along with his back-side profile that you saw of him was contributing to your delirium, but you still noticed the details: his fangs seemed to grow even longer as you watched, and his eyes took on the slightest hint of a dark amethyst purple. His hands were curled into fists, and the hair stood up from the back of his neck as he leapt in front of you. And was it just an illusion, or did the animalistic, savage growl you suddenly heard come from him?

What the is going on?

All eyes were on you, Chanyeol, and Kai now, none of them looking amused. You stared frantically at everyone else, but their gazes ranged from nonchalant to miffed, as if Kai’s freakish transformation, just like Kris’s eyes and Luhan’s uncanny abilities to speak the others’ minds, was normal, and annoying at most. Jisang was too shocked to do anything but stare.

The silence seemed to stretch. Jongin glared at Chanyeol. Chanyeol tried to reach over the younger K member to apologize, his large, worried brown eyes only for you, but Jongin snarled at him and pushed him savagely back. “Don’t you dare touch her,” he hissed in the taller boy’s face. His voice was raspy and hoarse.

Chanyeol’s eyes refocused on him. They turned stormy as well, and as you squinted in sudden shock as they took on a fiery orange hue, the pupils dilating to an animal’s. Okay, so now all the EXO members’ change some freakish color when they’re mad? This is just too weird. “Yah, I’m just trying to apologize, stop being a control freak.”

Your defender looked ready to kill someone.

“Jongin, don’t you dare,” Luhan growled under his breath the same time Kris said harshly, “Kai sit your down,” the same time Suho soothed, “It’s okay Jongin.”

You quickly uncurled from your frozen stance and gently touched his arm. “Hey, Jongin, it’s okay.” You hoped your voice didn’t sound as terrified as you were.

The idol didn’t move, but his shoulders seemed to relax a little. With a sort of unspoken truce, he moved back protectively to his seat above your armchair while Chanyeol retreated to the couch.

You stared at everyone else almost desperately. The two leaders seemed at ease again, although Luhan continued to look at Kai a little tensely, in his creepy way with his palms outstretched.

Didn’t everyone else see it? How strange this was, with changing eye color and elongating teeth? Xiumin was picking at his nails, D.O. was muttering something to Chen, Kris was glaring angrily at Luhan as if he was supposed to be responsible for stopping them, and Sehun was trying to re-engage a stunned Jisang in a conversation about bubble tea. Why didn’t the EXO members do anything? They didn’t even act like they cared.

This was too much for you.

“Can someone give me an explanation?” you asked feebly.

Twelve heads jerked up in response, their expressions suddenly set in monotonous stone and completely unreadable. You squirmed in your seat.

“What explanation?” Luhan probed cautiously. Sehun, Lay, Tao, and a couple others looked at him in something of confusion, almost bewilderment. You didn’t understand--in EXO, was it suddenly out of the norm to be asking innocent questions?

Your heart pounded so quickly you could hardly think straight. You swallowed--the problem was, you weren’t sure where this nervousness came from. It definitely wasn’t because you were so close to these Idols. “Really...just, why are Jongin’s hands so cold, and why are Chanyeol’s so hot?”

Silence. Absolute tense silence.

Kris’s lip was curled as he stared in your direction. “That’s cuz Chanyeol’s power is fire,” he said curtly. “Jongin’s hands are just cold.”

And just like that, the conversation was over. Kris’s word was, apparently, law.

Jisang eventually piped up after a long awkward pause, engaging all twelve of the members in a large group conversation, and for once you were thankful for her EXO obsession. You were obviously ruining it for her by the glares she shot you, and you decided not to say anything more and just observe.

The tension in the air still seemed to crackle. You plastered on a smile and nodded while everyone chatted, running over the facts through your mind. Kris and his red eyes. Chanyeol and his orange eyes, Kai and his purple eyes and wolf-like transformation. Luhan and his creeper stares. All of EXO acting like everything I just saw is normal. Look, Luhan’s giving me that same stare again. What the hell is up with these people? Are they really aliens or wolves--

No. That was just simply impossible. They are human, you reminded yourself. As much of a human as you are. Maybe a little on the stranger side, but you knew yourself to have a great imagination and have an OCD about paranormal activities. All the things you’d seen defied science; they were probably just illusions of your crazy brain. And you could wholeheartedly blame everything that had bugged you, from the boy that looked like Kai in the streets to the alarming touch of the members, on that horror movie you’d watched just days ago.

Besides, EXO weren’t normal teenage boys. They were idols, who had lots of pressure and hard work on them. And they’d spent practically every living second together since their trainee days, so when they fought it should’ve been perfectly normal.

Tao was saying something, his silkworm eye bags emphasized as his eyes lifted in crescent moons. Everyone was laughing, so you laughed too. Luhan was holding his stomach and falling onto Sehun.

Luhan. Everything about Luhan seemed off. He was still adorably bubbly and cute, but his offstage persona seemed to be completely different. Throughout the visit you noticed that he would be scrutinizing every EXO member, staring at them with his palms slightly pointed towards them. He seemed to carry private conversations with some boys like Tao, Sehun, Suho and Kris simply through his eyes, bursting out into laughter randomly and studying everyone’s facial features as if he were reading something from them. His feminine, petite hands would curl into fists when they directed at Kris.

He seemed to know what everyone was thinking.

So why didn’t he ever notice that you were staring at him all the time until his palms waved indiscreetly in Kai’s direction? If he was such a sensitive human as to be able to pick up thoughts simply by reading facial expressions, why couldn’t he read yours?

But then again, you thought, it wasn’t always facial expressions. He would jerk his head towards someone as if they had called him when they had said nothing. You observed that this happened usually when his palms were facing them.

Could he really read minds?

That was stupid. You immediately discarded the thought; Lu couldn’t. If he did, you couldn’t imagine how he could possibly get through a song during a concert with thousands of creeper fans thinking inappropriate, very disturbing thoughts. You shuddered, thinking back to the fanfictions you’d read and HunHan and what some did on roleplays and just...eeugh.

Besides, the superpower he had debuted with wasn’t even telepathy, it was telekinesis. And although he always looked at you weirdly he never showed any signs of knowing what you were thinking.

“...Seoyang?” Jongin was asking gently.

“Huh--oh--sorry what?” You blinked rapidly and looked up.

Everyone was staring. Jisang looked like she had murder on her mind...for you.

“I said, drop by the SM building sometime!” Jongin’s eyes sparkled. “It’d be nice to see you around, and you are the friend of Kang manager’s son, right?”

You exhaled, checking yourself mentally before responding. “Yeah, sure. I’m going to on Thursday, anyway. Mr. Kang needs some help with sorting files.”

“Great,” Jongin smiled toothily. But something was off...extremely off. You stared at him, unable to yield an explanation. Everyone else, except for Kris, looked disapproving.

The visit was about over. The members stood up and embraced you and Jisang, one by one. You were finally relieved that it was over, although it would’ve been nice if Jisang hadn’t insisted on taking pictures with every single one of them.

When it came to Jongin’s turn to hug you, he grabbed you and held you tightly, his iciness searing into your skin. He enveloped you with his wolfish, strange scent and he whispered in your ear, “See you then.”

It had shivers running down your spine.

As you were shown out the door with many voices bidding you and Jisang farewell, you just noticed Luhan’s eyes widening, more and more as he stared at Kai.

 

You and Jisang were walking away, the door still closing, when you heard one of them mutter, “That was a close one. What the are you thinking, Kai?”

“What?” Kai. “We have Luhan, easy. We can just use his-”

“Shhh!” Luhan snarled. There was a pause as all of the boys stopped talking immediately. And then the door clicked shut and all sound was blocked from the room.

Jisang turned around and stared at you quizzically, when she realized you’d stopped walking right outside EXO’s door. “Seoyang, what are you doing? C’mon!”

You nodded and walked faster to catch up with her, but your mind was racing.

What are they talking about?

What is going on?