Oneshot

Unbearable
 

=====


The apartment, once so small, now seemed so big. Even the kitchen was empty, the space that was once crowded with just one cook. The fridge that reached his mid-length stayed bare. Jonghyun eyed the space he called home and sighed. The bag that was casually slung over his shoulder now left on the floor, near the door. He dug his cell phone out of his pocket and listened to the hum of the air conditioner, an odd looking box protruded out of the wall, underneath his windowsill.

He glanced at the coffee table, took notice of a half-eaten candy bar and shrugged. He wasn't hungry tonight anyways. He glanced at his watch and calculated the time difference.

His phone vibrated right on time. Jonghyun smiled.

"Hey."

"Jjong, did you eat?"

Jonghyun picked up the candy from the table and took a bite, "I am eating right now."

"Are you sure? You have to take care of yourself, you know. I saw the weather today, did you dress warmly?"

"Wasn't that cold."

The voice on the other line clicked his tongue, "stubborn. If you get sick, don't complain to me. I'd just say I told you so. And are you just eating candy again? When are you doing to attempt to cook something? You have a functional kitchen you know – "

"I miss you."

The words acted like a gate, stopping the flood of complaints that streamed out of Kibum's mouth. "I know," he said, meekly.

Jonghyun felt the familiar lump and the hot sensation of tears that stung his eyes, "the apartment feels empty. It's not even a home anymore."

"We said – "

"I know. We said two years would go by fast. I know I promised to wait. But every day is so hard, especially when I am already so used to waking up beside you. It's hard to walk around like a zombie, pretending to give a damn about the rest of the world. It's like all my senses got blocked ever since you left. Nothing feels right…

"And I know I am just being silly. But when I feel like my heart is about to break from missing you, nothing I say will hold up. Not even our promises. Two years just feel s so long."

Jonghyun cursed at himself when he heard sniffling coming from the other line. It was so hard to get Kibum on the phone, and now he went and ruined it with his selfish comments, "I'm sorry. Really, Kibummie. How are your classes going? Are you learning English well?"

"Yeah," Kibum sighed into the phone. "Everything is going well."'

Jonghyun nodded, "isn't it late over there?"

"Yeah."

"Go to sleep."

"No."

"Hang up, Kim Kibum. If you don't get your beauty sleep, you'll scare your classmates tomorrow." Jonghyun chuckled, knowing his boyfriend wasn't someone you talked to unless he was holding his morning coffee – and was preferably on the third cup.

"YAH! You Dino head! You wait until I go back there! I'll skin you and feed you to my dog!" Kibum threatened through a whisper due to the late hours, but the message was still delivered nicely through the hiss in his voice.

"I love you, Kibummie."

"I hate you…always turning me into mush. Let me be mad, you stupid jerk."

"What fun would that be when you can't even hit me in person, right? There will be plenty of chances to be mad later," Jonghyun smiled at the image of Kibum chasing him around their apartment, waving his ladle as a weapon, poised to hit.

"You have a good point, I'll just file these away and hit you when I see you," Kibum retorted. Then his voice softened, "happy birthday, Jjong. I'll always love you."

"Hm, sing to me."

"Right now? My roommate is asleep."

"Then I'll sing to you."

Jonghyun picked a song at random and sung to the empty apartment. His voice echoed through the walls and bounced back to him, a lonely sound even to his ears. He continued singing, songs melted from one to another – a medley of his emotions pouring out through the sound that carried his heart. From the other line, he heard Kibum crying, and he knew he was singing the songs of both their hearts – their longing, their loneliness, their love.

Suddenly two years seemed like a lifetime away.