Chapter Four

Hired Killers' Life

 I find myself walking inattentive around the city. My brain always reminds me the cold eyes of the guy I met earlier. His eyes keep on flashing in my head and I can't stop shuddering by just picturing it.

 I've no missions today so it's like a day-off. I decide to walk around the city until my legs start to hurt. It's already night time when I got tired. So I stop by on one of the benches on the sidewalk and sit down. City lights are lit up brightly, cars moving swiftly through the roads, some people colliding and bumping each other on the sidewalks as they pass, and other typical things you see at normal busy nights.

 I sit back comfortably on the bench and look around. 

 A few meters beside me, I hear the street sweeper shouting at someone. I make a puzzled face. Then I realize that he's shouting at someone sleeping on the bench.

 "Hey. What the heck. This is not a bedroom, you idiot. WAKE. UP," I hear the street sweeper shout.

 The person sleeping on the bench gingerly rises from his sleeping position and sits up straight. 

 "What makes you think you can talk to me like that?" the guy says. "Do you know what you just did? You made a bad impression to me."

 I shudder at the coldness of his voice. It's the guy from earlier. He's the only guy I know who has that kind of voice, that fierce, cold, and intimidating voice. 

 "I don't care if I made a bad impression to you, mister," the sweeper replies back. "Just get the hell out of there."

 The guy scoffs and stands up. "Okay, if you say so," he turns around and says, "Just remember, don't be surprised if tomorrow's your last day." then he walks away.

 The street sweeper just shakes his head. "Young people these days." 

 I don't know what just came into my mind and I suddenly decide to follow the guy. I know it's a matter of life and death, but who cares about death. Everyone dies. 

 I stand up from the bench and quickly follow the guy silently. I keep my distance from him to avoid suspicions. 

 As I follow him, he has his back on me and keeps on humming songs and goes everywhere. I don't know where the heck is he really going, but I still patiently follow him.

 I think he finally gets tired because he goes the way to a village. When he finally reaches the village's entrance, the guard on the post checks on him. When the guard sees him, he quickly goes back to his post. Wow, is everyone in this village afraid of him?

 He continues to walk on the village sidewalk to go to I don't know where. He just keeps on walking. There are still a few people walking on the sidewalks, so I don't think he knows he's being followed. 

 While walking, he turns his head to the side--like looking at his shoulder--and his shoulders move, like when you're laughing at something. He shakes his head and turns his head forward again. He stops whistling by that time, but then, he starts whistling again. 

 He suddenly goes left, to an alley, I think. I back up myself against the wall and peek through the alley. It is empty. I go away from the wall and go through the alley. It is dark and empty, except for the trashes and trash bins scattered everywhere. It is a dead end, the alley leads to nowhere, and he's nowhere in sight.

 I suddenly hear a loud thump behind me. 

 "Looking for someone?" says the voice behind me. 

 I find myself frozen on my place. "Well, I was," I manage to say, though I'm stammering. 

 "Here I am. Isn't it me that you're following?" I notice the sarcsm in his voice. 

 "What makes you think of that?" I turn to face him. "You ambitious guy."

 The guy makes a small smile. "You know, you're the first person to stand out against me. And the thing is, you're a girl. Isn't that amazing?" he says sarcastically. "You must be a good killer and a spy. I can see that." he comes closer to me.

 I slowly grip my knife on my belt. "What else do you know about me?" 

 He walks closer. "Does it matter? It's obvious. You've been following me around. I noticed that. After I walked away from that street sweeper who disturbed my sleep on that ing bench."

 "You knew I was following you?" 

 "What do you think of me, a fool? Of course. I tried to shake you off by walking and walking around and going nowhere. You sure are persistent, so I decided to go here to see if you're still going to follow me. Well, I was right." he puts his hands in his pockets. "Now, mind telling me why you're following me?"

 "I--" I find myself out of words to say. I suddenly can't think of anyting to say. "I was just curious."

 The guy makes a dark chuckle. "Curious? Well, sweetheart, your curiosity just led you to danger," he says coolly.

 I laugh. "Well, pal, I love danger. And, I also love fights, just like what I'm going to do right now." As the last words fall out of my mouth, I get my knife from my belt and charge at him, my knife pointing at his face. But just as I thought that I have pierced him, he's actually holding the blade in his hands, pressing it with too much force that makes his hand ooze with blood. I'm surprised that his face isn't showing any signs of pain, like the cut on his hand feels nothing to him. 

 He pushes my hand down from his face and stares at me with his dark and cold eyes. "You know, killers should know how to handle knives properly, especially for a girl like you." 

 He swipes the knife out my hand and pushes me away, hard. I stumble back, but quickly regain my balance. He holds my knife on its handle and examines it with his injured hand, blood still continues to trickle from his palms down to his wrists then trickles like rainfall on the ground. "Nice knife you got here. It looks old, but still sharp. Let me guess, is this your dad's?" 

 My eyes widen at his words. "How'd you know?"

 "Hey, I just guessed it. Wait, am I right?" he laughs. "Wow. I can be a fortune teller. I'll consider this moment as one of my great guesses."

 "Oh, shut up," I say angrily. Without thinking, I take my gun behind me and shoot him. He staggers back, but still manages to stand straight on his feet. He looks up at me, and his dark eyes meet mine. They are blazing with anger. He's holding his arm, and I suddenly realize that my bullet grazed the side of his arm. 

 "That's not very nice of you, sweetheart. Another big mistake you just did." 
 He gets something from his waist and points it at me, and then shoots me with something. I feel a small pain on my shoulder. Then I notice that my legs start to wobble and my vision's starting to black out, and it's the last thing I know.

 

 I wake up being tied to a chair with a single light shining above my head. The room is empty except for a few lumbers and metals scattered over the room. 

 A chair is slammed down a few feet away from me, its backrest facing me, and the guy from earlier sits down and rests his chin on the backrest. I also notice that he placed a bandage around his hand, to keep the blood from oozing out. 

 "So, are you planning to tell the truth on why're you following me?" he says.

 "I already told you, I was just curious. Are you that stubborn or are you just deaf?" I reply. 

 "Maybe both." he goes silent for a moment. "Did Jin Hyuk send you?"

 It makes my mouth fall open. "You know him?" Wait, what. Oh, right. Jin Hyuk told me earlier that he met a guy with cold eyes that scared the out of him. And I forgot that maybe Jin Hyuk was describing this guy in front of me.

 "Yeah, sure. I met him a few years ago. Sent me to kill someone. Paid me big and never heard of him again. But I know him. Him and his face. He wasn't easy to forget. A known criminal," he says. "Now, answer me. Did. He. Send. You?"

 I frown. "No. He didn't."

 "There's no need to cover up for him, sweetheart. You can tell me the truth."

 "I TOLD YOU, HE DIDN'T SEND ME!" I shout at him. I badly want to get out of this chair and strangle him. If only I'm not being tied this tight.

 He chuckles. "Okay, okay. Easy there, tiger. I was just making sure you were telling the truth." He stands up, turns his chair around--so it's facing me--and sits on it again. "Did he tell you anything about me?"

 I'm silent at first. "He just said that you had your first kill when you were nine. He's telling the truth, isn't he?"

 He breathes deep before answering, "He told you that? That man really... Oh, never mind. Can you tell him something for me? Tell him that he has to learn to keep his mouth shut. If not, he wouldn't like what will happen next." he stands up and walks toward me. "That's all for tonight. See 'ya around." he raises his elbow and hits my head that made my vision black out. 

 

 I wake up a few hours later, finding myself still on the chair, but my hands are not tied anymore. I slowly rub my wrists. It has marks of the rope that is tied on it earlier. I stand up and realize that it was already sunrise when I woke up. It isn't hard to find my way out of the building because of the sunlight passing through the broken windows of the abandoned building. But before I get out of the doorway, I notice something on the doorframe. A note is posted on it, a knife keeping it place. The knife still has blood on it, and it stains some parts of the note. I remove the knife and realize that it is my knife, and the blood is from the guy earlier, the blood on his hand. I start to read the note:

 
 Next time, if your curiosity involves following or knowing me, you better think of it a thousand times. Because you're putting yourself into danger. I've been a killer for 15 years. I can kill a whole platoon of soldiers without being caught. Just remember this, there's always danger if I'm around. It's better to keep your distance. 

P.S. One more thing, if you're curious of who I am, just call me Adam, Adam Jung. It's my english name. I don't give my real name to anyone. If you'd want to know my real name, I'm afraid I have to kill you. Good day.