Ch. 1

Love You Hate You [Hiatus]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

New girl. To some people, it was just a dumb title, but to me it represented my entire life. Every since I could remember I was known as the new girl. I never stuck around for more than that ten month school year, and I never had the intentions of letting others know my name because in just ten short months, I would be nothing but a mere memory to them. My parents were both lawyers that moved wherever their firms told them too. My parents could crack any case, and even make the most guilty look innocent. They are fantastic at what they do; at their occupations, but they always seem to forget about their 18 years old daughter. Most of the time, I was stuck in a big house all alone. No one could keep me company, nor did I ever really want company. I’ve learned to deal with being alone, and it didn’t bother me anymore. Sure, I got lonely, but doesn’t everybody?

Anyways, it was no surprise when I woke up on Monday morning to be surrounded by suitcases and labeled boxes. It was just another moving day for me. However, it was a surprise to hear that my parents firm would not be switching locations until I was long past high school. My mother and father broke the news to me as I drank my daily cup of hot chocolate, and I just nodded along, hearing nothing but empty promises. Today, we were moving to a small town in South Gyeongsang Province, Chang-nyeong. It had a population of less than sixty thousand, and it seemed like one of those towns where nothing ever happened, so why was a huge law firm making business there? It was a three hours drive from Seoul, so I just slumped in the back of my dad’s Cadillac and plugged in my headphones, cancelling out the world.

 

The trees were losing their leaves, and the leaves were losing their color. Winter was approaching which meant nothing but cozy sweaters and hot cocoa to me. Winter had always been one of my favorite holiday besides spring, and I never wanted it to end. As my dad drove down the highway, I hummed along to the music that was ringing through my ears. My mother had already informed me about Chang-nyeong High School, and about how it was an incredible school. She had promised me that I’d fit in just fine, and that I would have nothing to worry about. I simply nodded along and chipped at my nail polish while she spoke to me. This was nothing I hadn’t heard before.

At the end of the car ride I noticed that Chan-nyeong was a much smaller town than I could have imagined. There were a few stores, one gas station, and a town theater. There were tons of small houses, but from the pictures my mother had shown me we were on the rich side on this town. My mom smiled as we drove past everything. She kept commenting at how “cute” this town was, and how she was sure to love being here for this “long” period of time. Once my dad got to our house, that looked much more like a mansion to me, he turned back to me with a big smile. “Welcome home, buttercup.” I shot him a small smile as I pushed open my door and stepped outside. The air was cold, and as it hit against my skin I shivered. I slipped my phone into my back pocket before I hauled two of my seven suitcases out of the trunk and into the house. The house was nice, there was no doubt about that, but I knew not to get attached to anything anymore.

Once everything was out of the car, my dad helped me bring all of my boxes and suitcases into my room. The balcony shined light into the room, and I smiled small at the color. It was green which my dad knew to be my favorite. I kissed his cheek softly as he began to leave so that I could neatly begin to unpack. I pushed open the closet doors and smiled as soon as I saw the walk-in. Now this, was home.

 

--

 

It took me a long, six hours to get everything into place. All of my rugs, picture frames, and throw pillows were put into place. All of my makeup was in separate containers separated by brand and product. All of my clothes were neatly folded and stacked. Everything was into play. However, all of my hard work would be ruined in ten months when I would be forced to take everything down and put it all back into boxes and suitcases again. It was a never ending cycle for me. My mother called me down for dinner just as the clock hit 7. Running my fingers through my long brown hair, I took one last look at my hard work before I retreated down the stairs. My parents were nearly done with setting up the rest of the house. I never understood why we put so much hard work into our houses. We never stayed long anyways. As much as I hated to admit it, I didn’t want to move anymore. I was sick of it all. Staying here would give me a peace I’ve never felt before. “So, Bom, is everything set up in your room?” My dad asked as he grabbed galbi-jim and put it down onto his plate. Flashing him a smile, I nodded. I grabbed some food for myself before my mother turned her attention to me.

 

“Are you thinking of trying out for anything this school year? It is your senior year, and we will be staying here a while, so maybe it would be best to join a team and make some friends!” My mom had high hopes for me. I shrugged my shoulders as I filled my mouth with kimchi.

“I’m not sure, mom. You know I don’t like getting attached to people. Maybe it would be best if I just continued life the way I am used to.” I tried my best not to hurt her feelings. She had wanted me back on the choir for years now, and she even tried to get me back into singing. However, after school activities meant more time with people I just couldn’t befriend. My mom frowned as she rubbed my arm.

“Sweetheart, we’re staying here for a long time, I promise. We aren’t leaving anymore. You haven’t had a friend since the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter