The Beginning To Death

3 Things To Do Before I Die

Flashback

I looked around, curious by my surroundings. Everything was white, too white. I cautiously walked around, and spotted a gate. Tip-toeing, I arrived at the enormous steel gate.

"Am I in heaven?" I asked a guy, which I supposed was a guard, beside me.

"Not yet, but once you enter, you will be," he replied monotonously.

I reached out for the gate, but my hand simply swept across it. Oh right, I was dead. I looked at my bare feet, while remembering the cause of my car crash. It must had been really severe, to the extent I had to die.

Die.

Was this really the end of my life? That was it? I frowned. I was not even 18. I remembered the time at the cab, which showed 11.59pm. I was heading home, as instructed by my parents. They probably planned a birthday party for me. 1 more minute to my birthday, and I died. How ironic.

I reflected on my life. There was not much accomplishments apart from getting good grades which were of no use since I died before even getting a job. All my life, I had done nothing. A wave of regret overwhelmed me. I was waiting for the mature age to at least do something I had never done. I was looking forward to my birthday, and now it all ended. Just like that.

This was simply too unfair.

I couldn't accept this cruel fact. I clenched my fist and felt a teardrop roll down my cheeks.

"I need to see God!" I shouted, banging the gate, but appearing as fighting with the air. I kneeled down, desperate.

"What is it?" I heard a deep voice in front of me. I looked up and saw a glaring light. I supposed it was God, but I could not really make out his face under the bright light.

"I don't want to die." I said, looking at the ground to avoid the brightness that was disturbing me.

"Because you're full of regrets?" the deep voice replied. I nodded slowly.

"Almost everyone who died had regrets, but they still entered the gate. What makes you an exception then?" he asked again.

"Because I have never fallen in love. At least you know how it feels like to be in love, I don't. My parents told me to date only when I reach 18, and before I could even reach the age, you were cruel enough to end my life." I spoke louder, catching my breath afterwards.

"Please, just one more chance." I added, softer this time. After a few moments of deadly silence, his voice boomed again.

"Fine then. I see the truth within your eyes. 6 months and it's over," he concluded.

"But-" I was about to argue again before he stopped me.

"I have to go now, enjoy the last few moments of your life while you know it. Oh yes, please don't tell anyone about me, or you and the person you tell to will die immediately," he floated away just like that.

--------

 

"Min Jung, what are you doing staring blankly at the ceiling? You should sleep now since you have just recovered from an accident. " I heard my mum's voice.

"Oh- it's nothing. And mum, didn't I tell you to call me Ashlyn instead?" I snapped out of my daydream and looked at the door.

"Only you and your dad call you Ashlyn dear. I'm Korean and used to the Korean ways." I supposed she already said that line for 37293801 times already.

"Yes, yes, off the lights and close the door before you go out, I'm going to sleep now." I complained and covered my body with my blanket.

"Good night, remember that we're throwing your birthday party again tomorrow to make up for the previous one!" I heard the clicking of the door before nagging a few more times.

I was definitely not looking forward to the birthday party. It was meaningless, my birthday was already over. I reached for my note under the pillow, the lamp on my bedside drawer and read it again.

After analyzing all of the items, I figured that number two would be the easiest. Given my high scores for the national exam, finding a decent job would be easy. Just save a little, get some part time jobs and it would be settled. It was the first time I had planned something so big, and I was excited.

Mum and Dad would be proud of me.

 

The next day

"Saengil Chukahamida!" my parents sang and clapped for me, while feeling my face turn red. I never got used to people singing birthday songs for me.

After the song, I blew the single candle on the mini cake. Obviously I wished for those three things that I had in mind. I looked that the small cake, waiting to devour it right away. As I was about to head to the kitchen to get a fork, I noticed my parents.

All my life they were the ones who bought me a cake, and yet they never tasted it. They did not complain. Finally, at the eighteenth time, they still bought me a cake. Only now I noticed them.

Was I this gullible in the past?

I ran to the kitchen, taking two plates, two forks and knife.  I held back my tears of regret and headed back to the living room.

After cutting up the cake, I served my parents. Each piece was definitely not enough to fill a stomach. They looked at me with bewildered expressions, I simply smiled in return.

"I'm not hungry," I hated saying mushy words to my parents, it was awkward. Fortunately, they accepted it and dug in.

"I never knew it tasted this nice!" My dad exclaimed after swallowing it down in one bite. This had made me feel worse. Why hadn't I noticed them earlier? I cursed myself for being so unobservant.

Six months. It was time I had to do something with myself and my parents, to be a filial daughter.

 

A/N: A short boring chapter, introductions are boring. ): Thanks to the subscribers who have subscribed even before I posted this chapter! :D