Chapter 37

Road of Destruction

Raymond returned home after dropping off Charmaine and found Ron sitting in the exact same spot where they left him. He had finished all the fruits on the plate and with his legs propped on the table looked up at Raymond with a boyish smile, “I didn’t think you’ll be back so fast.”

“It’s late and she has an early photo shooting tomorrow,” Raymond said and sat down absentmindedly on the other end of the couch without removing his jacket.

Ron peered at him and noted the strain on his face, “You’re still thinking about what Michael said aren’t you?” he asked.

Raymond sighed, “How could I not? That’s all I’ve been thinking about for the past week.”

Ron sat forward and rested his elbows on his knees. “You have to make your decision soon. Michael doesn’t have a lot of patience.”

Raymond closed his eyes and leaned back against the couch. “I don’t know what to do,” he mumbled.

Ron understood what was going on in his friend’s mind and wished he had the answer for him. “Perhaps you could try to convince Michael to have someone else do the hit for you.”

“It’s not only that,” Raymond murmured opening his eyes. He rubbed at the crease on his forehead and said, “I don’t want Derek hurt at all and it’s not only because of Charmaine. Sure she’s a big part behind my decision but Derek isn’t as bad as I thought he was and I don’t want to hurt an innocent man.”

Raymond had expected Ron to question him about the comment but to his pleasant surprise Ron agreed, “Yeah I know what you mean.”

Stunned, Raymond asked, “You do?”

“Of course I do,” Ron chuckled. “I’m like you. A good guy trying to survive in a bad guy’s life. In other words, we’re two good people who have been brought up under circumstances that we can’t control or change so we do our best to ensure that the good in us stays good. That is why we only take on the small meaningless assignments and leave the more violent ones to the others.”

Raymond smiled at the analysis, “I won’t argue with that.”

Turning serious again, Ron said sadly, “That still doesn’t solve the problem you have at hand. What are you going to do?”

Raymond stood up and ran a hand roughly through his hair, “I really don’t know.” His cellphone rang at that moment. “Hello?” It was Michael. He looked over at Ron and mouthed the name causing Ron to sit up in alert.

“When are you going to get the job done?” Michael asked with irritation. “It’s been a week already.”

Raymond dropped himself back onto the couch and said slowly, “I need some more time to plan everything.”

“Plan?” Michael raged, “What is there to plan? Just go over to his house and kill him. How much more simple can it be?!”

“There’s Charmaine,” Raymond said hesitantly. “I can’t let her know…”

“Listen to me carefully,” Michael cut in sharply, “I’ll give you three days and if you don’t kill Derek by the third day I will personally kill your precious Charmaine. Do you hear me?”

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Raymond shouted into the phone, his eyes flew to Ron with terror. Hearing the threat, Ron went to Raymond’s side and perked his ear up against the phone to listen in.

“Three days,” Michael repeated harshly then the line went dead.

Even after Michael hung up, Raymond still clutched the phone against his ear. “If I don’t kill Derek then he’s going to kill Charmaine.” He turned to Ron, the torment on his face visible, “What am I going to do?”

------------------------------------------

Michael threw his phone against the wall and cursed loudly. After a beat he said, “I can’t rely on Raymond any more.”

Bosco took out a cigarette and handed it to Michael then proceeded to light it for him, “What do you plan on doing?”

Taking a long drag from his cigarette, he turned to Bosco with a crazed look. With a sinister smile, he said, “I don’t need Raymond to do the actual killing anymore. I can do that myself. All I want from him is to lure Derek over here and I’ll do the rest.” After a pause, he said, “I have a job for you.”

Bosco gleamed in response already anticipating the job in store, “What is it?”

Michael chuckled softly, his eyes wild and hollow, “Grab the woman and bring her here. Then inform Raymond that we have her. I’m going to make sure that he does as he’s told this time.”

“I’ll get her now,” Bosco vowed then left Michael’s office.