What are you afraid of?

Fools for you

Seungho's POV

"DO YOU GUYS HAVE A DEATH WISH!?" The driver yelled at us as he drove passed.

We were too shock to respond. We almost died. Should we have taken another step, we would be on the lying in the pool of our own blood now.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked when I regained myself.

"Yea.." Doojoon said, looking pale.

"Junhyung?" I asked. The poor boy looked frozen.

"It's fine. You are okay. We are okay." I hugged him.

"That was close." He whispered, his body cold.

"Let's go home." I said, shaking the both of them.

They nodded and followed me. We were all quiet on the way home, still getting over the fact that we almost lost our lives. I believe all three of us had one thing going through our head; 'never get so drunk again.'

"Did you hear that?" Junhyung asked, stopping out of a sudden.

"Hear what?" I asked, looking at him, and then at Doojoon who looked as confused as I was.

"There, there, there.. Don't you hear it? Like a baby crying..." Junhyung said. Even before we could stop him, he turned to follow the sound he heard.

Doojoon and I looked at each other, spooked out by his sudden actions. Did he got scared that badly by the truck just now?

"Jun ah!" I called out when I realized he was walking too far away.

"Don't you guys hear it!?" He started getting agitated.

"No, I..." Doojoon cut me off mid-sentence.

"Shhh shhh shhh~" He said to me.

And then I heard it, a faint cry.

We followed the soft sound and it brought us to a back alley. We looked around, trying to search for the source of the cry. It felt so near yet so far.

"Oh my god." Doojoon and I turned when we heard Junhyung.

He was standing in front of a pile of cardboard, looking shock with his jaw hanging.

We went over to him and when we saw what he was looking at, our jaws dropped too.

In the middle of the wastes lied a baby wrapped tightly in a pink blanket. She was crying before we came, but now she was smiling at us. Just as Junhyung was about to pick her up, I stopped him.

"No." I said.

I could hear him gasp softly. He looked at me like I was a monster.

“But…” He muttered.

“No, Junhyung. No.” I said, dragging him away.

“Hyung is right. We… we can’t.” Doojoon said, but neither could he take his eyes off that little angel.

“Let’s go. We didn’t see this. Let’s go.” I said, pulling them along.

“No! Hyung! We can’t do this! She..” I cut him off mid-sentence.

“No, Junhyung! I said, NO!” I yelled at him.

He looked at me like I slapped him across his face.

Junhyung, I get it. I understand. I want to very much do what you wish to do too. Bring her home. Keep her warm. Feed her. Take care of her. But no, we cannot. We have too much to consider. We cannot do this. I am sorry.

As we walked away, I could hear the faint voice of the baby calling out to us. Sorry, angel. You deserve a better home.

When we arrived back at Junhyung’s home, he greeted his puppy and then went straight into his room, slamming the door shut.

“Maybe… I should go.” I said.

“No, it’s already late. Just stay here as planned. He’ll get over it. I understand why you did it. I know.” Doojoon said, assuring me.

I looked down when I felt a push on my leg. Junhyung’s puppy, Hyungnim, growled at me.

“I didn’t mean to make him unhappy.” I said to him.

He barked once and ran to Junhyung’s room door, scratching the door, asking for permission to enter.

“Come here.” I briefly heard Junhyung say as he opened the door, let his puppy in and then slam it shut again.

“He’s really angry.” I said.

“He’s just sad. Just like we all are. I know you are too. He thinks you are cold-blooded, but I am in the same position as you. I understand. We cannot risk. Thank you, hyung, for protecting what I didn’t have the courage to.” Doojoon said.

“Don’t make me sound like a hero.” I said, curling up on the sofa.

“Rest well.” Doojoon said.

Awhile later, I felt him put my head under a pillow and covered the blanket over me, and then retreated back into his room. I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling.

I sighed and closed my eyes. All I saw was her face. Smiling at us, being so strong despite her being so small and in such a cold environment. Yang Seungho, she is only a baby and yet she is so strong. You are a grown man. What in the world are you afraid of?

***

b47.gifSeungho: "No, Junhyung. No."