2

All I've Ever Known

In their decades of marriage, they had their fair share of terrible rumors about them. The most popular being Seunghyun playing around with different women. They never let it bother them that much, being in a relationship as strong and as long as theirs allowed them to just laugh it off. Dara knows that her husband is very attractive; physically and financially but she's confident in their love for each other. When she first started noticing wrinkles and white hair, she got a bit worried but it was swept away by her husband's loving words. "I've seen you in your diapers and with chicken pox, I wouldn't mind a few wrinkles. You will always be my number 1 baby." Seunghyun says with a smile and a tight hug. "I would love you even when you're all hunchbacked and all your hair turns gray." And she believed him with all her heart, after all she also felt the same. She wouldn't care if all his teeth fall out and if they have to shout at each other to communicate, he will always be her Seunghyun.

They never had anything major to fight about. They attribute it to knowing each other like the back of their hands. They would have petty arguments like which movie they should watch on date night or Seunghyun answering calls from work during family time but it was nothing serious. At the end of the day, they would still hold each other in their sleep and by the next morning everything is bright and sunny as it should be.

That being the case, Dara wasn't prepared for everything to come crumbling down.She briefly wondered if her heart would stop functioning because of it's heavy beating, she found herself hoping it to. She was in one of her field visits, one where she would visit remote villages to extend help to the less fortunate. Everything was fine, she didn't have the slightest warning that everything she believed in would be shattered. She was invited to a quaint hotel for a luncheon in her behalf. As she was waiting for her fellow doctors in the lobby, a familiar man in a perfectly pressed suit walked in. She was surprised and ecstatic at first, she was about to stand from her chair when she noticed the man stop ever so briefly and took a woman in his arms. They were so intimate, Dara almost felt ashamed for staring at them. It was as if they were the only persons in the room and she was invading on their privacy. The man walked to the reception desk, took a key and almost dragged the woman to the elevator. It was not in slow motion but it was like an out of body experience. She can see herself falling boneless onto the hotel's marble floor, tears threatening to fall from her eyes but somehow managing to be trapped in the sockets. She wanted to feel numb, she didn't want to feel the heaviness in her chest or the pounding in her temples. Her colleagues found her on the floor, fussing over her and asking her where it hurts. She wanted to say it hurts everywhere and nowhere but she knew telling them won't help. She just politely asked for them to take her back home and that she just needed rest. The ride home was silent, she didn't even know who took her home or how. She was too lost in her own pain and thoughts to register that she has been at home for over an hour, bathed and clothes changed. Soon after, her children came home and hugged her tightly, surprised that she came home earlier than them. As if by instinct, she held on to them so tightly, they were the leaving and breathing proof of their love for each other. She needed the assurance that no matter what, they were her children with the man she loves. She still loves him. Despite the pain, the confusion, that one thing was clear. Before Seunghyun got back, she decided to ignore the pain. She convinced herself that what she saw wasn't real. That the man she saw in that hotel wasn't her husband. That the man she saw was only wearing the same suit she prepared and pressed for her husband the night before. She decided to ignore the little voice in her head that was screaming "He's cheating on you, you idiot! Confront him! Get mad!" Because she knew, even with what she saw, she could never get mad at Seunghyun. So when he came back, smiling as usual to her and kissing her on the lips, she hugged him so tight he complained of pain. She welcomed him home, warmer than she ever did before. She spent more time talking with him and asking about his day, giving him a foot massage and kissing him languidly until they fell asleep.  

The next morning when she woke up next to her sleeping husband, she quietly stared at him for a while and strongly reminded herself of her decision. She would let it go. Her pride was not worth sacrificing what they have. She kissed him all over his face to wake him up, they made breakfast together and woke the kids up separately. This was their usual routine, this is their family. They ate together, asking each other their plans for the day and they set off together only to part ways when they reached the garage. They all took different cars because they had different directions. The twins insisted on attending different schools and so they did. Dara reminds herself that their separation was only temporary, a few hours later and they would be whole again. There's no need to mess things up. She was able to push negative thoughts out of her mind for a few more months until it came back with a force stronger than before. 

She was in a maternity clinic in a suburb near Seoul, attending to one special case of a new born infant there. The baby was born prematurely and the teen mother had been malnourished during the pregnancy. She was successful in hiding her situation until she gave birth, but the baby was born with complications. She operated on the baby as soon as the findings were clear and once she was done, she ordered for his transfer to a bigger hospital in Seoul. The family had no money so she advised them to get financial support with various institutions she was affiliated with.

She was resting on the lounge with her cup of coffee in her hands, fatigue slowly making itself known. She chuckled lightly to herself, she wasn't as young as she used to. A single surgery could drain this much energy out of her now. She decided to take a walk to the garden when again, she saw her husband with another woman. He was hugging her, like he's consoling her. That's when she noticed that the young woman was crying, holding on to her flat tummy. Then Seunghyun held out a small box to her and the woman instantly stopped crying and showered him with kisses. Dara was numb with pain now. It wasn't like the first time she caught him. The ache in her chest was still there and the throbbing in her head but there was something else threatening to come out. She then realized where she was, a maternity clinic. Without much thought, she approached the front desk and asked the nurse if she knew who the lady was. The nurse, not thinking any more of it gave her the name and the procedure she underwent: abortion. Seunghyun was dumb enough to sign his consent in the form as well. Now she knew that unknown emotion, she was mad. Not only was he fooling around, he got someone pregnant and even had her abort the baby. She felt sick. Suddenly, everything she kept bottled up deep inside her exploded. She walked up to the couple and slapped her husband. It happened so fast that Seunghyun didn't know how to react. Before he knew it, Dara was out of his sight and people were staring at them in shock. 

Seunghyun gave chase, but he couldn't catch up. He decided to intercept her at home but when he got there, she was no where to be seen. She tried the hospital Dara worked at but her secretary said she didn't report there. He tried her parents house but she wasn't there as well. He was losing his mind, he doesn't know where else she could go. He was worried that she might do something stupid, or if she got into an accident. He tried calling her but she wouldn't pick up. As a last resort, he asked Jaehyun to call Dara. He just needed to know if she's alright. His son sent him a questioning look but he just told him to make the call. He wasn't ready to explain the situation to his children, in fact he didn't want them to know. A few rings later and Jaehyun was talking to his mother. Seunghyun was about to grab the phone from him when he suddenly moved back and ran out the door. Seunghyun could see the panic in his young son's eyes and he was about to follow him but Jaehyun screamed at him to stay put "Mama wants to see me, she's not ready to see you." The look his son gave him sent shivers down his spine, does he know? Does he hate me now? Please don't let it be the case. 

Jaehyun told the driver where to go but Seunghyun didn't understand any of it. He was lost in thought, too absorbed in his own pain to register anything else around him. He was scared, he doesn't want to lose his family. He doesn't want this. He just needs his family, he's not ready to let this go. 

Dara didn't come home that night, neither did his son. Sara was asking about them but he couldn't answer her. She got fed up with her father's lack of response so she dialed her brother's number. They talked for a while, Sara showing worry on her face. Seunghyun snapped out of his thoughts and snatched the phone from his daughter, he wasn't prepared to lose her too. She can't find out. Just imagining the look of disgust from her face made his heart ache even more. Although Sara was surprised by his actions, she didn't question him further. 

"They're at a small town outside Seoul. Jae says he's helping Mama out since they were shorthanded." Sara explained carefully, as if she knows her father is having a breakdown. "They say they're sorry but they won't come home for a few days" Sara hugged her father from behind, like she always did. It was a position she always took when she feels her Papa's stress. Seunghyun visibly relaxes and hugs his daughter back. 

"Sorry for the way I acted earlier. I just had a lot in mind."

"It's okay papa, just go to sleep." She squeezes his midsection one last time and released her father.

"It's your first time sleeping without mama, it should be strange right?" Sara muses.

"yes, it would. I don't think I can sleep without her." Seunghyun confesses sincerely.

"You're so cheesy papa! You're the best husband! When I get married, I want to have a husband just like you!"

That made Seunghyun cringe and want to die in shame. How could he do this to his family? What would his daughter say when she finds out? She could never find out, his princess should never look at him differently. 

"No baby, you must find a better man." Seunghyun chokes out.

"Aw papa, don't cry! I don't want to get married soon! It will be in the far far far future!" Sara says, consoling her father. She thinks he's just crying because she mentioned getting married. She acted cute and reassured her father that she will always be his little girl. Seunghyun felt better after that, he convinced himself that he hasn't lost anything yet. His daughter still loves him and he's determined to win Dara and Jaehyun back. 

After two days, Jaehyun went back home. It was as if he didn't know about anything. He really did just help out in the clinic. He told Seunghyun that Dara insisted on staying over in the small town and he was sent home because of school. He hugged his father and went to his room to rest. Maybe Dara didn't tell him anything?

A week has passed and still no word from Dara, Seunghyun and the twins were worried. He assured the kids that he will bring their mother back home soon and pushed all his meetings aside. He followed her to the small town and prepared himself for the worst. He found Dara sitting next to a big tree on top a hill. She still looks as beautiful as she did when they were younger. Unlike before though, she doesn't look at him with that sparkling fondness in her eyes. Her eyes looked dull and lifeless, reflecting what she's feeling inside. She felt so hollow and broken, it took all her strength not to breakdown in front of the man she trusted her whole being with. The stood there just staring at each other; Seunghyun with pleading desperate eyes and Dara with her hollow stare. She doesn't know what to do or feel, she thought about everything that happened and she felt so numb. Seunghyun was hesitant to approach her, she looked so volatile that the slightest move would turn her shattering on the very ground she stood on. 

"You know about all those rumors about your infidelity? The one we laughed about?" Dara began, her voice voice of any emotion but still sounding so frail "How much of those laughter were directed at me? How big of a joke am I to you? Did you even..." she couldn't finish her words, thoughts were jumbled in her brain. How do you begin a confrontation? She's never been the aggressive type. She never felt the need to fight over anything, how does she begin now? Her face reverted to the stoic look she adapted since a week ago. It was better for her to feel numb, how do you turn off your feelings? She wished there was a switch. 

"No no. That's not true. You were never a joke. Dara, it's not true. Please, let's come back home." Seunghyun finally found his voice when he felt Dara retreating further from him without taking a single step. 

"What's not true? The rumors or my being a joke?"

"All of it. None of it is true Dara, believe me."

"You know it's not the time to pull the 'fake it til we make it' card, Seunghyun." Those words cut right through Seunghyun, it sounded so cold and so final. So unlike his sweet little Dara. As if on autopilot, Seunghyun grabbed hold of Dara and embraced her as if his life depended on it. In a way it was, he would not survive it if Dara left him. As if Dara felt his desperation, he felt a wet spot on his dress shirt. Dara had been crying. It broke his heart knowing that he's the source of her pain but it relieved him to know that she still feels something. They stay like that for a while, Seunghyun refusing to let her go, afraid that she will vanish from his sight if he did. A few more moments and he faintly hears Dara's broken voice.

"Why? Why did you do it? Am I not enough? Did I do something wrong? Do you not love me anymore?" He could barely make out the words, Dara's voice was so fragile and words were thick but he understood every word and it hurt to hear it. It seemed that the more fragile her voice gets, the harder he's hit. He was dying of shame and of resentment. How could he ever do that to his loving wife? His perfect family? He ruined everything. He was also crying, crying like he never cried before. He doesn't care if he looked stupid because he is. He didn't care if it wasn't manly, because he was everything but a man right now.

"I felt so small next to you," Seunghyun said after finding his voice "I was always labeled as the businessman husband of Korea's top surgeon. It's as if I was never there. I'm only recognized as your husband, not my own person." After voicing it out, he felt stupid and egoistic. He ruined everything because of his pride. "At first it was when a young model approached me, told me how attractive and powerful I was. I knew she was just after my money, but I felt proud. She made me feel like a real man." He paused for a while, but still not letting go of his hold on Dara. "After that, it happened again and again. But there was no love in it Dara, I only love you. Please believe me."

"So you decided to hurt me because I somehow emasculated you?" Dara was furious, she pushed Seunghyun away falling to the ground because of the force she used. Seunghyun wanted to help her up but she refused, she screamed at him like a lunatic. Tears were still streaming down her face but anger replaced the pain. "You threw away everything we had because you wanted your ego ? You're an ! I ing hate you! If you wanted to be that much of a man, why didn't you just divorce me? If I took away that much from you, why didn't you just leave? Did you really have to hurt me like this? Did you even think about me? or the twins?"

"You don't understand! I love you, I really do! Every time I come home to you and the kids, I am always filled with love. Those other women, they weren't to replace you or to hurt you. It was my selfishness. I didn't mean to hurt you. It's the last thing I want to do. Please believe me Dara, I love you. Please don't leave me." Seunghyun was now on his knees, begging Dara trying to have eye contact but she kept her eyes on the ground.

"Yes, I don't understand. If you love us, then why? Was it not enough? Our love for each other, our family? Was it worth your manly pride?"

"I needed it Dara, if I continue to feel less of a man then I would've lost myself. You understand that, don't you?"

" you! You needed to cheat on me for your peace of mind? You want me to understand that? What kind of twisted reasoning is that?"

"I know it sounds incredible but please believe me. I didn't do it to hurt you. I didn't think it would turn out this way."

"That's the problem, you didn't THINK! You didn't think of me or the kids or your family, you just thought of yourself. You're a selfish bastard. You didn't mean to hurt me but do you realize just how much pain I feel right now? I want to kill myself. I feel like such a failure. Did you even think of what the kids would feel if they found out? What Sara would feel? What she would think of you? You are the stars and the moon for her, for me! How could you even think that this would not hurt us?"

"I'm sorry. Please, forgive me. I'm sorry. I won't do it again. I'll do everything you want. Please don't ever think of killing yourself, I would die if you hurt yourself because of me. I'm sorry. Please I can't lose you. You're everything to me. Please" Seunghyun begged, hands clutching Dara's limp hand. 

"I don't know if I can ever forgive you, Seunghyun. I can't even look at you right now." It took all of her energy to snatch her hand away from Seunghyun's hold and to get up from the ground. "Please leave me, I need more time."

"I can't leave you. Please don't make me. I can't lose you, love." He was still on the ground, eyes pleading Dara.

"I can't stand being in the same room as you, the mere thought of you sleeping in the same bed as me."

'I'm not asking you to pretend nothing happened, I will stay away. I will not stay in the same hotel as you, but please don't make me leave. I can't..."

Dara didn't let him finish, she lifelessly walked away from him not bothering to throw him another glance. She's so torn right now. She can see the remorse in her husband's face, she knows and feels she still loves him but can she forgive him? After hearing his twisted reason, would she be able to trust him again? But as she accused Seunghyun putting his pride before their family, would she also put her pride above her family? Is her pride worth the pain her children would suffer when they have a broken family? Would she survive a life without the only man she has ever loved? Would letting go of everything she ever knew make her feel better? Would it make her feel complete again? She knows the answers to those questions, her family comes first. She might not be able to forgive Seunghyun now but maybe if she works on it she might. Her love is stronger than her hate, she has faith in that. But is she stronger than her doubts? 

They stayed in the village for a couple more days. Seunghyun kept his promise of staying away from her, aside from the usual bouquets of flowers at her door step every morning, Seunghyun never showed himself. He started wooing her, in a way he never did when they first started dating. Dara felt happy yet there's still the niggling feeling at the back of her mind that it's not real. That everything he's doing is just for show. She wants to forgive him, but her heart and mind are just not ready yet. She told Seunghyun that she wanted to go home, maybe when she goes back everything will fall into place. She missed her children so much, they kept on calling her and they talked on the phone but it wasn't the same. She never told them real reason why she's hiding here, she just told Jaehyun that she needed rest and he complied. She knew that Jaehyun was suspecting her but she also knew that her son understands her the best.

When they come back home, they were warmly welcomed by their children, hugs tighter than ever were exchanged. Dara and Seunghyun felt like their hearts were going to burst. No, their pride is not worth ruining this. They can work it out, they have to. Not for the children, not for their reputation, but for the feeling of completeness that they have whenever they are embraced in each other's loving arms.

When they were alone in their rooms, alone in their thoughts, Dara and Seunghyun decided to work things out. Seunghyun could not have been more grateful for Dara's decision, he cried shamelessly into her arms. Despite her decision though, Dara was still apprehensive. She still cannot stand hugging Seunghyun like she used to, she gently pushed him away and apologized to him.

"I'm sorry. I still can't."

"I understand, I won't force you. I understand. I'm sorry." 

Just like in the village, Seunghyun would still give Dara flowers everyday. The kids would make fun of them and fake gagging noises when they see their father being all sweet and "whipped." Soon, Dara felt it was ok to be in Seunghyun's embrace again. That night, they made love like they used to; slow and gentle but right after, Dara felt dirty. She felt used, like something was missing. She cried. She felt Seunghyun breathe deeply, she wanted to apologize but she can't find the words. She moved away and took a long bath, as if ridding herself of some virus she doesn't even know of. They didn't sleep in each other's arms that night, or any night since. 

Seunghyun was very careful around Dara now, the kids saw the tension around them but paid it no mind. They still went through the motions of their everyday routine but something was missing. Dara was starting to feel bad, she felt like it's her fault. Like she was the one not trying hard enough to make things work. So she decided to resign from her work and spend more time with the kids, most especially her husband. She started today, delegating all her work to her subordinates and introducing her patients to their new doctors.

After sorting everything at the hospital, she went to visit Seunghyun to tell him of her decision. She drove to his office, wanting to surprise him. Upon entering the office, everyone tensed. She brushed it off as them being shocked to see her, she doesn't normally meddle in Seunghyun's business. The secretary shakily told her that Seunghyun was still in the office, with a client and asked her if she wanted to wait. She smiled and sat on the lounge and read a random magazine. A few moments later, a young lady stepped out of the office doors with Seunghyun's hand on her lower back. She was stunned but she reminded herself that she decided to make things work, she should trust Seunghyun. She cleared and Seunghyun turned around, eyes wide and hand immediately dropping to his side. He quickly went to her side and awkwardly placing a hesitant peck on her lips. She cringed at the action but quickly schooled her face into a smile. Seunghyun introduced the lady as some sort of business associate that Dara didn't bother paying attention to. She can feel him lying. Once they were alone in the office, away from the prying eyes of the employees, Dara lost it. 

"Who the was that, Seunghyun?" Dara's voice was low, trying her best not to create a scene. 

"I already told you, she's just a business associate." Was Seunghyun's leveled reply. 

"Oh really?"

"Yes Dara! For God's sake! Are you going to be jealous of every woman I get close to? Is this the way it's going to be? What are you doing here? Inspecting me? Spying on me?"

"Don't you dare turn this around on me! I saw how you held her, I am not blind! I came here to tell you that I wanted to make it work, to tell you that I quit my job so that I can spend more time with you. But I guess I really am a joke. I left everything but you're still the same cheating bastard!"

"That's not true! God! Listen to yourself! She was just a business associate, nothing more! I was just being cordial! And I never asked you to leave your job! Don't put the blame on me!"

"Being cordial? Is that how you call it these days? I've had enough. I made the wrong choice, I'm leaving."

"No Dara, please no. I'm sorry. Really, I am! There's nothing going on with her. We didn't do anything. She was just an acquaintance. She wanted something but I said no. I promise you, I'm telling the truth. Believe me. Please. I wouldn't risk hurting you again, you must know that. Please." 

Like the good girl she is, Dara believed Seunghyun. Even if she felt like she couldn't trust him, but right now she put her defenses up. Her walls are stronger now than before. Weeks have passed and their relationship still hasn't changed but she's still working on it. She would often visit Seunghyun at work but sometimes he would be out on meetings. She was still doubting him but she promised herself to be strong and work things out so she will. 

She hasn't been feeling well lately, she figured it was the stress from recent events but she decided to consult her doctor about it. The doctor is her closest friend, Dr. Lee Chaerin. She was a general practitioner, but was very good in various fields of medicine. They did routine check ups but they found nothing wrong with her, they ran a blood test and there was an abnormality in it. Chaerin had a suspicion about the test so she asked Dara various questions, the line of questioning had Dara worried, she knew where this was going. She confessed everything to her friend, embarrassed and scared. Chaerin quickly referred her to a gynecologist, promising utmost secrecy to her friend. She accompanied Dara to the doctor and stayed with her until the results came. Thankfully, it was something treatable with antibiotics along with other medication. However the shame and hurt could not be treated by any medicine. Not only did her husband cheated on her, he risked her of infection. She felt stupid not using protection, but why would she when she's making love to her husband? She forgot that her husband was a cheating son of a not only that, a careless one at that. She drove home prepared to confront her husband about it but he wasn't home yet. She collapsed on the sofa, relief and fatigue overpowering her. She woke up to someone shaking her shoulder, it was Jaehyun. A soft smile was on her face knowing that it's her son and not the devil waking her up. What she didn't notice was that Jaehyun was holding her test results in his hand, the one that she was going to use in her confrontation with Seunghyun. She panicked once she realized it but there was no way to hide it anymore, she cried and fell on her knees, again shame washing over her. 

"What's happening, Mama?" Jaehyun's voice was soft, almost afraid that he will break his mother if he spoke loudly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want you to find out, we were working on it. We really are. I'm sorry." Dara's breaking down, she wasn't making any sense, all that left were apologies and Jaehyun knew better than to take it for what it was.

"I don't understand, mama. Please tell me what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry. I really am. But I really don't think I can do it. Help me, please I'm scared. I don't know how to live without him. I don't know anything other than him and our family. Please help me, Jae." 

Jaehyun scooped her in his arms, he was still very young, he should not have been responsible for comforting his distressed mother. But here he is, rubbing soothing circles in her back, coaxing her to stop crying. 

"You know mama, you don't have to suffer like this. I love you, Sara loves you. You don't need him. You are the strongest, kindest, most amazing person I know. You can still start over, even without him. I love you mama."

"You don't understand, I can't! He's all I ever knew. I've loved him in forever, he's my forever son. I can't throw that away just because he cheated on me. Can I?"

Her words angered Jaehyun so much, he tightened his hold on her as tears were starting to fall. "You didn't throw it away, he did! He threw it away the moment he had an affair! Don't ever think that you don't deserve better or that you won't find anyone else. You are not old, mama. You can start anew. I will be with you, I promise to take care of you. Please stop suffering by yourself. Don't fool yourself thinking that we don't know what's going on because we do. Sara might be in denial but I know she felt something's wrong."

"How long have you known?"

A long silence followed the question, Jaehyun didn't know how to tell his mother but in the end, he decided to be truthful. "I knew a month before you left. I saw him. I didn't mean to hide it from you. I'm so sorry. I just didn't know how to tell you. When you went away, I thought it would be the end. But then you came back to together, I knew you were working things out. If you could forgive papa, why couldn't I, right? So I tried, I desperately tried to keep things normal. But I can't do that now, not when I see you suffering and now sick! I cannot ask you to leave him, although I want you to, but I am leaving. I can't stand seeing you like this and continuing like nothing's wrong when your whole world is falling apart. I'm sorry mama."

Dara hugged her crying son, feeling guilty knowing that he was suffering all along but she didn't notice it. She thought that he was just growing up, that's why he was maintaining distance from his father. She didn't know he was carrying such a burden. 

"I'm sorry, my son. I didn't know. It's not your fault, it's not. I just need more time. I don't think I'm strong enough to leave him."

"Who's leaving?" Sara's shrill voice was heard through the door. She had tears but determination can be seen in her eyes. She spotted the papers that Jaehyun was loosely holding in his hands. Before either Dara or Jae had time to snatch it from her, she fell on her knees. 

"You're sick? You cheated on papa and now you're sick? You filthy !" Sara screamed at her mama, but before she could say any thing else, Jae's hand connected with her cheek. He was huffing, boiling mad. 

"How dare you say that to your own mother?! Do you even know what happened? Can't you even see how much pain she's in?" Jaehyun said, point at their shocked mother. Her own daughter just called her a , a filthy name fitting for how dirty she feels right now. 

"Of course I would call her a ! How dare she sleep around and do this to papa? He has been nothing but good to her! I hate you!"

As those hateful words left , Dara froze and the world that she's been trying so hard to put together just completely fell apart. Jaehyun was livid, the next thing Sara felt was another slap across her face and her brother's hand clutching the collar of her shirt. 

"Now listen you brat, and you listen well. Your perfect papa is not so perfect! He's been cheating on mama! He's the ! He's the filthy one! He's the one who infected mama!"

Being the fighter that she is, Sara didn't back down. She held her ground even if she was shaking with fear. "It must be her fault! Papa wouldn't do that! It's because she doesn't have time for him! She's always away on her missionary work! She neglected him!"

" you! Do you even understand what you're saying now?! Don't you remember who's always present during your school plays? Talent competitions? Or who picked us up when your precious papa forgot because he's 'busy with work'?" Jaehyun release his hold on his sister, seeing that she's also falling apart. He didn't want to be mean to her but he needed to defend their mother, he needed to tell the truth because he can't stand it anymore. He held her close, apologizing for hitting her and for shouting. Sara regained her bearing and accepted her brother's apology. She also apologized to her mother but she just can't believe what they're accusing her father of.

She ran outside and wandered aimlessly. Without knowing it, she was in front of their office building. She needed her father, she supposes, so she mindlessly went to his office. Without knocking, she opened the doors. At this time, he's usually just reviewing documents and signing contracts. That's what he always says when she calls him to come home. The sight she saw was the final nail to the coffin, how could she defend him now when everything they're accusing him of is on plain sight? There was a woman draped on her father's couch, sweaty and breathless. She couldn't move. Why couldn't she move? She needed to run away, to scream, to slap someone but she was too petrified. The perfect image she had of her father was ruined in just a matter of seconds. Her father saw her, a look of pure horror was painted across his face. He immediately went to his daughter but she flinched when he move to touch her face. 

"Don't touch me with your filthy hands! You're sick! I wish I never tried to defend you!" she was breathing heavily, her father was stunned in silence "Oh my God! What did I say to mama!? How could I say that to her? She's not the filthy one! You are! Oh god! i should have listened to Jae! You're filthy! I hate you!" She turned around, walked a few steps before talking again. "I forgot, Mama got tested. You should too. Although I would want you to die from the filthy disease, I hope you won't be cured."

It took Seunghyun to register the information but once he did, and once he realized that he's losing his daughter, he ran towards her. Hugging her from behind and begging her not to leave. Sara would have nothing of it. She felt like everything she believed in was a lie. Her hero was the greatest villain in her life now. She once thought of him as the brightest star in the sky but now she realized that she was just blinded by the fake light he shone. She screamed her lungs out, crying and thrashing for him to let go. The remaining employees saw the commotion and felt sorry for the little princess. Her father refused to let her go, he doesn't realize that the more he holds on to her the more pain she's in. He cannot stand the thought of losing her, he knew if he lets go it would be the end. 

Sara was hysterical, she keeps on screaming for Seunghyun to let her go but he hears none of it. Slowly, hands were prying his daughter out of his hands. He tightened his hold until a punch landed right on his jaw. Stunned, he let go of Sara and dropped on the floor. The other employees scrambled to get Sara away from him, the company doctor was called to check on her. Jiyong, Seunghyun's friend, was the one who interfered and punched him. He couldn't stand to see his goddaughter like that. He dragged Seunghyun inside his office and locked it. He can't have him in the same room as Sara, it's not safe. He dragged his palm across his face, exasperated with his friend. Seunghyun was still frozen, he looks as if the world is caving in on him.

A few hours later, the commotion in the office has died down and everyone left the building. Sara was taken home by Jaehyun, she refuses to go to the hospital. She needed to come home, to apologize to her mother and to hug her. She needed the assurance that even if her father lied to them, her family is still real. An intern talked to her while she was in the infirmary, she calmed her down when she was still refusing to let people touch her. She remembered what she said clearly, as if it was her lifeline now. 

"I know it right now, I know. But you have to remember that you are not alone. You still have your mother and your brother. You need each other to survive this. You might think that your world was a lie, and that everything is broken. Well maybe they are broken, and the tiny pieces are hard to pick up. But remember that even if you can't put a broken vase back together, it can still make a beautiful mosaic. It's not the end of everything, you just have to stand back up again and rebuild the pieces."

When Seunghyun got home, he came home to an empty house. No sign of the jolly laughter from his wife and children. No welcome home kiss and hug. Only then did he realize that his petty pride was not worth the warm home he took for granted. 

 

______________________________________

A/N: Uhhh..so yeah. Here it is. There's still one more chapter. But don't expect too much. :( I'm sorry.