1

A Thousand Miles in Between

Hi! My name is Lee Taemin, or Taemin or Taeminnie. No, not Taeminnie, almost-40 years old married man shouldn’t be called that way. Yes, I am happily married to a decent girl with cute dimple that Key hyung envy the most. She’s not an idol (or even an ex-idol like my case) she was totally a normal girl, who turns into a great wife, and mom for our 2 children. I sometimes feel bad for her when she overhears people talking about how I could’ve end up with a Korean girl instead of her, the girl I met overseas. But then again, I assure her, I will always choose her to be mine any day.

She isn’t like any other girl, like my ex-band mates’ wife for that matter. All of their wives are, uhm what’s the word? Super feminine? Pretty much like that. And my wife, she’s the kind of girl who would choose to do all extreme sports over just lay on the beach sunbathing or something. She’s a great cook and so great at taking care of our children and me (duh). And the most awesome thing about her, she’s a career woman. And yes, that’s pretty much how I met her. working partner.

You see, after SHINee disbanded, I didn’t really have any idea of what I was going to do next. I was so young to even thinking about working in office, besides I wasn’t really into office thing. I told my concern to Minho hyung, who to my surprise, had plan about his future. He told me it’d be awesome if I could join to his project. He planned to open some kind of idol management. It wasn’t that big, at first. He said I could be the trainer, and because I love dancing so much, I said yes immediately. The next thing we knew, we were overwhelmed by so many applicants to attend our management. Of course we have to cut some of the applicants. Okay now this is where it gets real. One day after teaching Minho came to me, he told me his idea about expanding our business overseas and he expected me to be the one who took care about it. At first I hesitated, I didn’t know about anything about business and all, but he assured me I could do it. And as always, I said yes. Who can resist the flaming charisma Choi Minho anyway?

I wasn’t that good in English. And that was the first thing I had in mind when I get in plane. How could I persuade someone when they couldn’t understand what I am trying to say? I almost get off the plane but they announce that the plane was about to take off, and I am glad I didn’t do it because if I ever get off that plane, I couldn’t meet her, my wife.

I looked around in the arrival gate, wondered which one who was going to pick me up. And as you can guess, it was her, holding the sign who said my name. I was mesmerized by her appearance it was like she was glowing between those people. I remembered what Jonghyun hyung said when I asked how did he know her wife is the one, he said you just know it. and that time, I just knew it she’s the one.

“Lee Taemin!” She squeaked. I was surprised, no one ever said my name in such tone, except my fangirls.

“uhm yes. Hi!” I replied with my broken English and shaking her hand.

“Oh I am such a big fan of you and the boys. I even went to your concert here once and I still have your posters in my room, I know its weird but I do. And how’s Jonghyun and his wife? Minho? Kibum? I heard he’s getting married soon right? Oh and Jinki oppa, I miss that dubu….” She said in such rush. She continue “Oh I am sorry, I should’ve said that”

I tapped her shoulder, she looked surprised “I don’t really get half what you were saying but I am glad to meet you”

Her face reddened and it was so cute. “Oh I am sorry for being such a freak in front of you. I am just glad to meet you” She replied in her broken Korean which made me even more surprised “I learned Korean since I became your fan. But I could only speak a little” She continued shyly

I smiled at her. She looked in dazed, I shouldn’t be surprise with that kind of look, but that look she gave me, it was different from anyone else. It was like cute ‘dazed’, it was hard to describe. “Uhm, should we get going?” I nodded in reply.

We walked to the parking lot. She pushed the button on her car key “eh? You’re driving?” I asked

She nodded “yep, who else?”

I grabbed her hand to stop her, “A girl shouldn’t drive when she could just ask the man to drive” I stated

“It’s not like I could just ask you to drive around the town you’ve only visited for few times, and not to mention it was long time ago” She replied. yup, she got that kind of attitude.

“Uhm you’re right” I sighed in defeated

She smiled and walked towards the car “It’s fine, you can just drive me around when I come to Korea next time, deal?” I nodded and slide into the seat beside her.

The road was busy but not as busy as in Seoul. She asked me whether I was hungry because she was. We stopped by her favorite restaurant. She ordered for me since I didn’t really know what to order that time. We chatted for quite sometimes, I almost mistaken our lunch as a date because we only talked about ourselves instead of the work. She laughed every time I made mistakes with my English, so she sometimes switched with Korean. And it made her even more mesmerizing in my eyes. Finally we finished our lunch, but the talks didn’t end there

“So, who’s your favorite member among us?” I asked playfully as we walked to the car

She blushed “the maknae Taemin” she sang shyly. And that time, it was my turn to blush. “Hey! you’re blushing!” She exclaimed

I scoffed “uhm No! you’re the one who blushing”

“Don’t fangirls supposed to be blushing when their idol is sitting beside them?” She simply said. I pursued my lips to lips but I couldn’t think anything to reply to her. I just nodded.  I was a little disappointed because she only think me as an idol, not a man that time.

“So this is our head quarter, I need to take some files in my office first. You could wait at the meeting room, our CEO is waiting for you. My assistant will be the one who you there” She said as we got out from the car.

“Wait! You have an assistant? Why don’t you tell them to pick me up instead of you?” I  asked in disbelief

“And let her be all flirty to the reason why I didn’t have boyfriend for almost my entire teenage life? Yeah right” She smirked.

“So tell me about your assistant!” I .

She rolled her eyes not amused “She’s Jonghyun fan who turned into Key fan who turned into Minho fan who turned into Onew fan who turned into your ‘#1 Taemints’ as she liked to exclaimed herself when we were in high school

I nodded “She seemed nice” I grinned playfully. She hit my shoulder playfully.

We entered the office when we heard a high pitched squealed. It was her assistant. She glared at her.

“I am sorry, uhm this way opp- I mean mr.Taemin”

She smiled at me before walking in opposite direction. I felt like following her everywhere.

At the meeting room, I was welcomed by their CEO. He was young and nice, I sighed relief because all my thoughts about the strict CEO was all wrong. He asked me about our project and all, I replied just like what I prepared before. There was a knock on the door before she entered, she smiled at me as she sat at the chair across the table. I continue to explained our project even though I only think about her in my mind. When I finished explaining, I wait their respond. And she never stop surprise me as she kept asking question, hard ones to me. I thought me being her idol would make her a little bit easy on me, but no she didn’t.

“I think that’s all for now, but to make everything clearer, why don’t you go with him to Korea and report everything back to me?” The CEO said to her.

“Okay, so when is your flight mr.Lee?” She asked

“Tomorrow morning”

“Okay, ask your assistant to book a ticket for you and you’ll go with him” The CEO said “And I know how much you wanted to go to Korea but remember this is a business trip, no play around, got it?” he continued

“I can’t promise you that sir!” She said sticking her tongue as we walked outside.

“So….” I wondered

“So he’s my brother” she replied. I sighed relief, I thought he was her boyfriend or something. “Why? Are you jealous?” She asked sneakily

What? No!”

“Whatever you said”

We leaved her office after I gave her assistant my sign and took picture with her. The plan was, she’d drove me to the hotel and she’d go back to her office. But she insisted to take me sightseeing, I refused at first but she kept insisting, so then I declare my defeat and nodded in agree.

“Tomorrow you have to drive me around Seoul in return”

“Will do, and don’t you want to meet my hyungs?” I offered

“I thought you’d never ask!” She said excitedly

Does your brother know?”

“About? Me being a SHINee’s fan?” She asked. I nodded “Of course, why do you think he would ask me between anyone else?”

“I thought you were the one who ‘volunteered’”

“I am not that cheesy”

The next morning, she called me informing she already in the lobby. I rushed to the elevator and to meet her. She smiled at me, “Good morning! Sleep well?” I nodded, lying. I didn’t get that ‘good sleep’ because all I could think about was her and it made it so hard to close my eyes. “Shall we get going?”

I was kind of disappointed because we didn’t get to sit by each other on the flight. she was way far in front of me. When I noticed her sleeping soundly, I let myself sleep as well. I didn’t awake until I felt someone caressed my cheeks. It was her.

“So you didn’t get your sleep last night, I see” she said soothingly. I smiled. “Uhm sorry about that, I always loved your cheekbones” She said shyly

“No problem, I could wake up this way all my life and I would never complain”

“That was your best shot?”

“Uhm?”

“Never mind, come on lets get off from this plane. I can’t wait to roaming around Seoul!”

It was already midnight when we arrived at Seoul so I dropped her by at the nearest hotel to our office. After saying goodnight, I drove back to my apartment. Young and living alone was pretty much reason why I didn’t get myself a house even though I could buy it from the amount money I made since SHINee. But meeting her, was the first reason I grabbed my laptop that night and look for property sites finding a perfect house for us both.

 I woke up the next morning when my phone goes off. I looked at the screen and it was her.

Hi! Good morning! Sleep well?”

“Hi! Yup a little jet lag but an aspirin and everything would be fine”  I replied. in my defense, it was a long time since the last time I was on a flight that long.

“Oh you poor little thing. You want me to come over?”

“Like you know where I live” I said playfully

“But I do know your house” Suddenly the voice changed, it was manlier.

Minho hyung!”

“Ya! Lee Taemin stop embarrassing our company. You are late for our appointment”

“Okay okay I am getting ready now, where are you guys?”

“on your door, pushing the bell nonstop” Minho hyung replied sarcastically

I threw my phone on the bed and rushed towards the door, I checked how I looked on the nearest mirror. I was going to meet her and I should impressed her in any chance, you know.

Ya! What took you so long? Oh right you just woke up” Minho said

Lay it off hyung. So are we having the meeting here?”

“Of course no, our lovely client was asking me to drop her off here so I rushed from the office and get her from her hotel and bring her to your filthy cage” Minho replied sarcastically.

I looked at her, she was giggling. Then something crossed my mind “Or she just wanted her idol to drive her around the town to meet her other idol” I said. She was startled and the soft pink crept on his cheeks “I was right huh?” I teased playfull

Minho hyung looked so confuse. After a few seconds he laughed hard “So you’re a SHINee’s fan? Why don’t you say before, I could bring the-“

“Save them for the last, hyung” I grinned.

“When I finally made my mind, nothing will change it you know” She said “even though all 5 of you back to the skinny jeans and sing and dance to Replay.” She continued with her sharp eyes stabbing me.

“Tough girl” Minho stated

“Yes, thank you” we all laughed.

After I get dressed, we left my apartment. Minho hyung suggested to get some breakfast first before going to the office. We stopped by one of the famous restaurant in town. And as expected, we didn’t talk about office at all, because that is Minho hyung anyway, office stuffs should just leave in office. That morning we enjoyed our breakfast, and for me, I get to know her a little bit more. I know Minho hyung could sense about it, but whatever, I need to finished what I started.

After our breakfast, we headed to our office. I made sure to impressed her by everything I do. I took her to walked around our office, to our practice room where Key hyung was giving a dance lesson occasionally and luckily, it was one of the time. she was so excited about meeting Key, and so did Key hyung. it was like her back to her teenage life all over again. As we finished roaming around the office, I took her to the meeting room where Minho hyung was waiting for us.

The meeting was ran smoothly, but just like the last time, she asked some straight-to-the-point kind of question but thankfully Minho hyung could answer to them all.Minho hyung offered to eat lunch together but I sent him a sign to let me be the one who took her to lunch, thankfully he got it. So that afternoon, I drove her to my favorite restaurant.

“Ordered something for me” She ordered. I nodded and picked some of my favorite dishes.

My mission to impressed her was going on and on. I told her about myself and she seemed even more curious about me.

“No girlfriend huh?” She said coolly

I choked on my food “Are you a reporter or something?”

“something” she playfully replied

“why? Do you want to be my girlfriend?” I asked straight forwardly

And it was her turn to choked on her food. I handed her the water “Ask nicely”

“What?”

“I said ask nicely”

I placed my fork and spoon beside my plate. I took her hand and looked her at her eyes “I like you, since the first time I saw you, which was 2 days ago. I know its fast but do you want to be my girlfriend?”

She looked like someone in dazed. Then she smiled “No. Not now, but nice try”

Ya! You were the one who asked me to confessed didn’t you?”

“I never said I’d say yes, didn’t I?”

I sighed in defeat. There was no way I could wow this girl as Lee Taemin, not her SHINee’s Taemin. I put my feeling aside for the next few days when I took her to walked around Seoul. But again, my mission to wow-ed her didn’t stop there. I made sure she felt like a princess when she was with me. I took her to every romantic places I could think off, I even asked for few days off to Minho hyung just to take her around the city. To my surprised, Minho hyung said yes. And even added a “good luck” when I walked out from his office.

Few days past before my eyes, I was disappointed that she would go back home in just few hours as I drove her to the airport. I didn’t even care about the fact that her company was agree about our partnership. She said she would be back sometimes in future, for work of course. I escorted her to the departure gate. That was my chance, my only chance before she slipped over my finger, I braced myself and took her hand. I turned her so we finally face to face. I pulled her closer and pressed my lips towards her soft lips. It was beautiful, everything I could dream off. We broke away when they announced the plane was going to take off soon. I kissed her forehead once again and she kissed my cheek. We hug for a while before saying each other goodbyes.

After that day, we kept communicating to each other, through email and skype every night. But there wasn’t really a status for what kind of relationship we had. I decided to meet up with Onew hyung, he was the most wisest one among us, despite all of his sangtae.

Then confessed” Onew hyung said

Hyung you’re not helping”

“Then what am I supposed to say? Telling you to go straight to her and asked her to marry you?”

“That’s a good idea” I replied enthusiastically

“Gosh, you’re not getting my sarcasm are you?” Onew hyung said frustrated “Don’t rush things, Taeminnie, girls hate that. Eventhough she is a fan, no girls like it when boys rushing things. Remember that”

“Then what should I do?”

“Make sure she feel loved, when she finally feel loved, she will treat you well and will make you feel loved as well. and then that’s when you confessed. But remember, don’t rush things”

“Hyung, you should’ve just open a love-advice site or something. And made people pay for you for every adv---“ Onew hyung grinned, “Wait I know that grinned! Fine, fine this is all on me”

So, I followed Onew hyung’s advice. I made sure she felt loved eventhough there was a thousand miles between us. I made her feel like I was there, with her the entire time.

Few months since our kiss past, the intensity of us talking to each other was increasing. I knew I should make my move that time. just like the other night, we talked over skype. I asked her how was her day and she would asked me the same question. We talked about many things before I talked to her about something that was bothering my mind all the time

“Hey, you remember something that happened few months ago?” I asked hesitantly.

“Remind me”

“Airport, before I sent you off”

She smiled playfully “uhm, I don’t know Taemin, I can’t remember!”

“Ya! What do you mean you can’t remember. It didn’t feel special to you?” I nagged

Then remind me, oppa” She seduced

We kissed, and the days before it when I confessed to you. Remember?” I replied shyly. I could feel hotness crept on my cheeks

“Ah that kissed. Yeah that was special. Why all of the sudden?” She asked

“I am going to ask you again.”

“ask nicely this time, okay” She smiled

I took a deep breath before continue ”You see, I’ve been asking Onew hyung for advice lately. And to Minho hyung and to Key hyung and Jonghyun hyung but I ended up playing video games with him, okay…”

“Oppa, slow down, I am still learning okay”

“Oh right I am sorry, I’ve been asking them for advices, and they all say the same thing. Confessed. So here we go, Jonghyun hyung said when you finally find the one you just know it, and the first time I see you picking up on me at the airport holding that sign, I said ‘damn it, she’s the one’ and the time when you said you are a SHINee’s fan, I felt a little disappointed because you must be love the SHINee’s Taemin instead of me, Lee Taemin. But I realize, I am the one who like you at the first place, I don’t really care about you loving me as SHINee’s Taemin or Lee Taemin, because all I want you to do is, Love me. All these times we spent together, by each other or between these thousand miles only made me realize something, I want you. I want you. So I’m going to ask you, as Lee Taemin, Would you be my girlfriend?” 


 

 

a/n : I am going to post it regularly, twice a day maybe. until my birthday yay!

 

comment and subscribe