Prick of a thorn

Tainted Scent Of Rose

Ci sono creature che vivono nel buio…

 

 

Ji-yong lived a quiet and peaceful life with his father; He grew up to be a free spirited child. His father hired a tutor for him that taught him the basics of education and the best.

 

He was allowed to do whatever he wanted within reason. The cottage where they lived was fairly close to small town and Ji-yong would spend most of his time in markets and cafes.

 

“Father, I am going to town now!” Ji-yong yelled to his father whom of which was in his study; he spent most of his time in there with the door closed and Ji-yong had no idea what he could be doing, but it was no concern of his.

 

“Okay, be back before five!” “Yes father!” Ji-yong rushed out the door as quickly as possible; for some reason going to town was very exciting for him.

 

Each time he went was like a new experience. He traveled the same route each time he went to town while contemplating where he wanted to go or do. Jealous, Ji-yong would sometimes stand by the high school and watch as the kids played sports or had lunch outside.

 

He wanted very much to attend school, but wasn’t allowed to. For some reason his father wouldn’t let attend, or even leave the outskirts of town he was always stopped by the nearby watch police if he tried to leave.

 

When Ji-yong made it to town he would automatically hear the chatter of people, and the sound of car engines. (He loved Italy so much; to him it was home, and he never knew anywhere else.)

 

Ji-yong walked down the narrow crowded sidewalk saying his hellos and chatting with the people whom he saw quite frequently. They all new Ji-yong as a lonely boy, he never made friends and was always in solitude.

 

But they also admired his beauty; his blonde almost white air, his dark eyes, and pale blemish free skin. It was all too perfect almost like a delicate porcelain doll. He always went to the same café, and ordered the same thing “white chocolate strawberry parfait” It was his favorite he also liked the white butter-cream caramel cake. But didn’t order it much due to the over whelming effect after you eat it.

 

All the waiters and waitresses including the owner of the small establishment knew him by name and were always expecting his arrival each day. Ji-yong sat at his original place and the waiter brought him is parfait. He lifted the spoon and dug right in; he his lips satisfied.

 

Peering out the nearby window to look out at the sky, It was grey and unhappy today, it looked as if it was about to cry, it looked as if it was deeply hurt. Soon after Ji-yong saw the little drips of water hit the sidewalk outside and people starting to run so they wouldn’t get caught in the rain.

 

He continued to indulge in his parfait, and the spoon clean. But he directed his attention toward the nearby window once more. He saw a odd looking man in a black coat with his hood on. Ji-yong suspected that he was hiding from the rain so he thought nothing of it for the time being.

 

Ji-yong stood up and placed the money on the table. He left the café quite quickly while keeping his sight on the suspicious looking man. He forgot his umbrella so Ji-yong put on his hood and started to walk cautiously down the sidewalk.

 

Since it was raining he figured it would be better not to dwell in town much longer and to just head home. He looked behind him, to find the black coat man following him. Ji-yong couldn’t exactly see his face at all, but he could tell his hair was a black color.

 

Ji-yong started to walk a bit faster, faster, and faster; he would look behind himself to make sure that the man was still tailing him. With each drop of rain of Ji-yong’s face he felt his heart beat more and more. He didn’t know this man, or why he was following him.

 

Soon after awhile Ji-yong came to a corner and when he turned it, he hide in a nearby ally way. He hugged the wall as hard as he could and waited awhile. But the black coat man didn’t show. Had he stopped following him? Was he even following him to begin with? Ji-yong peeked his head out of the ally way and looked left…Nothing, no one. He looked right….no one.

 

He placed his hand on his heart, it calmed down a bit and so has the rain. The sun had come out of hiding and was shining brightly; it was as if it had never even rained. Ji-yong continued home, but stopped awhile in a rose garden near the cemetery.

 

The roses were all in full bloom and were brightly alive. The caretaker of this garden was an old man, whom planted it with his wife several years back. But his wife past away and now he takes care of it alone; planting all kinds of colors and genetically altering others to make new colors.

 

Ji-yong liked passing this garden and smelling the sweet scent of rose. (It is his most favorite scent in the world) Ji-yong picked up a red rose from the garden and started to walk on home. His nose smelled each petal for some reason he thought that the red roses smelled the best out of all the colors; It was the most potent and most beautiful color.

 

He followed along the dirt path until he came to his cottage; he placed the rose in a pot hoping that one day it will grow into a beautiful rose bush; so he could have his own roses. He walked inside the house.

 

“father! I am home!” he yelled out. He waited awhile before he got a reply.

 

“Welcome home son, how was your visit to town?” When his father said that he remembered that black coat man, and how he followed him. Thinking it was just a misunderstanding he didn’t dear bring it up to his father.

 

“It was fine” he simply replied.

 

He walked up to his father’s study which was still closed. He knocked on the door “may I come in father?” “Umm, not right now…how about you heat up some tea I will be out in a moment” Ji-yong sighed and walked to the kitchen. He filled the silver kettle with water and placed it on the stove.

 

He sat down at the kitchen table and picked up one of his comic books. It was an old comic book about supernatural beings living amongst humans. They whole story focuses around them hiding from the humans and trying not to get caught.

 

“What are you reading Ji-yong?” His father asked.

 

Frightened Ji-yong jumped a little.

 

“Sorry did I frighten ya?”

 

“not really” Ji-yong smiled. His father was an older man with a beard that was partly discolored and hair that was the color of soot.

 

“You know Ji, you otta’ bring me to that café of yours” Ji-yong smiled at his dad.

 

“Of course” They looked at each other and shared a smile once again.

 

Ji-yong never got to spend much time with his father, but in the times when he did he treasured every moment. “Oh the tea!” Ji-yong jumped. The kettle was whistling loudly.

 

He ran to the kitchen and picked the hot kettle up off the burner. He slightly burned himself which caused him to remove his hand quickly. Right then the doorbell rang. “I’ll get it” his father said getting up from the table. Ji-yong brought down the canister of sugar and the carton of milk. He placed two tea cups on a serving tray along with the milk and sugar.

 

“Ji-yong please come in here!” his father yelled from the living room.

 

Ji-yong picked up the tray and carried it to the living room. He heard another voice talking with his father. (one that sounded quite familiar) When he entered the living room Ji-yong saw a black coat hanging on the coat rack, It was the same one that man was wearing in town.

 

Alarmed Ji-yong quickly looked over at the mysterious guest. “Ji-yong I want you to meet my friend Choi Seung-hyun” His father said.

 

“Do you remember him?” he added.

 

Ji-yong looked at Choi Seung-hyun for awhile before responding to his father. “I don’t know…maybe” he said. Choi Seung-hyun looked at Ji-yong with a smile and then slowly stood up. He approached Ji-yong and placed his hand on the necklace around his neck.

 

“So you kept it all this time huh?” he grinned.