Rain Boots

Rain Boots

RAIN BOOTS

 

Saturdays were my favorite days of the week, lounging around the house, in a nice warm sweater and sipping a cup of coffee. But this year, Saturdays just won’t do anymore. Ever since the crash, I’ve never felt more alone. Coffee tastes bland, but it’s what keeps me awake nowadays. The house was awfully silent, almost ominous. Even my cat understands, to stay the hell away so it passed on a week ago, leaving me alone again.

 

Today, it started raining. I woke up to the sounds of rain hitting against my window, the sky dark and portentous. The droplets slid down the glass, like all the tears that I’d shed. I lay still in my bed thinking about my cat, Fat Molly, and him. I wanted to pull myself out of bed, to start the day but the blanket was what I had left that felt the slightest warm. I think it’s Saturday today. I haven’t been changing the pages of my calendar at all, the date stuck at 21st of January. The clocks in the house all remained at different times, stopped in motion. Today though, I feel something. Like the air is charged or something, I was being pulled out of my bed. My limbs don’t feel like mine anymore, but rather my slippers were the ones who carried me.

 

Into the kitchen, the rain still pattering outside, I made myself some coffee. It doesn’t taste like the kind he made me, somewhere between sweet and bitter. Doesn’t matter anyway. I cupped the warm drink in my hands and sat myself by the window that overlooks the front of my house, and the road that’s less travelled by most. It must have rained for quite a while, the heavy drops pooling into puddles on the ground. It was cold, even in the house and I took a sip of my coffee. As the liquid skimmed down my throat, I tasted him. Strangely enough, the coffee I made today tastes like the ones he made me. I reached down my arm, wanting to pet Fat Molly, but I remembered, he wasn’t here anymore.

 

I don’t know what I’m waiting for, staring out of the window like that. Never mind that, I continued gazing out, as if searching for a particular thing. It started like a distant shadow, at the end of the road but it grew bigger as it got closer. The rain was too heavy to make out what it was. The thing, it moved nearer, until it was before my house. Though my vision wasn’t clear, I saw the yellow. The yellow rain boots, which he loved dearly, and I knew, my Xiumin had come home. I saw his brownish hair darting in the rain, and in his arms was Fat Molly. His yellow boots pounded the puddles relentlessly, splashing the water all about. When he was near enough to make out closely, I saw his face after so many months. The bright, smiling eyes, the undefined cheeks and jaws which I found endearingly adorable, they were all there. It’s like he never changed at all.

 

I left my coffee and ran. Ran like he was leaving me again, ran like I was chasing after life, ran like it’s the last time I’ll ever see the world again.

 

The rain slapped me hard, drenched me from head to toe, but it never bothered me. All I see was Xiumin. I dashed right into his awaiting arms, and grabbed him tightly. I don’t ever want to let go of him. I let my hands roam his back, then his front, and his face, like I’m leaving my print all over him, claiming him. He’s really back and he feels just the same.

 

“Lohan…” he whispered, cupping my face in his warm hands.

 

“Min… You’re back, you’re really back here, with me,” I said, burrowing my head into his chest.

 

“Yes, I’m back and you’re drenched, let’s go in and get you changed or you’ll fall sick,” he said.

 

It was odd that he wasn’t wet at all, despite the rain. It was like he was unaffected but I didn’t care, as long as he’s here, everything else seemed so trivial.

 

We went to our room; it was no more my room. He took out a towel and dried us, or rather, me. I helped him out of his coat, which still smelled faintly of him.

 

“I missed you so much, Min,” I said, lying us down on the bed.

 

I pushed away the covers; there was no more need for them. He enveloped his body around mine, curve fitting into curve, fitting like pieces of a puzzle.

 

“Lo, I never left, I was always here, you just didn’t know,” he said from behind me, intertwining his fingers with mine.

 

“Min, I’m so scared of losing you. Everyday that passed, I keep feeling like I lost a part of you, your hands, your touch. I’m losing them one by one, I can’t remember them anymore,” I told him, flipping myself over to look him in the eyes, to make sure he won’t be leaving.

 

“Well, Lohan, it’s only nature to forget right? Day by day I’ll be gone and before you know it, you’ll be wondering who is this Minseok. Don’t be scared of losing me, because even if you forget, I’ll remember. For me, for you and for us.”

 

He didn’t sound sad, but happy. His smile was contented, his cheeks turning a little pink. I drew circles around his hand, taking in the smell of him. I want all of him, every single part before I forget.

 

“Min, sing for me,” I demanded. I want to hear his voice, now, because I know this moment would soon be over.

 

I snuggled into him as his sweet melody fills my ears.

 

“ Don’t cry my baby, it isn’t time,

  The journey we passed there’s no rewind.

  I’ll hold your hand and you’ll hold mine,

  Together into the light I’ll sing you this hymn.”

 

I cried. The salty drops fell from my eyes and onto him. It’s so long, so painful. In the morning when I wake, would he still be here? Would I still be able to hear his sweet, sweet voice, telling me not to cry?

 

Fat Molly circled around our entangled feet, her fur tickling. I’ll miss him too, when this is over. This baby of mine was the first present Min got for me. And with Min, he’ll be gone.

 

“Min, I’m really going to miss you, you know,” I said for the last time, hugging him tighter than ever,

 

“I know Lo, me too.”

 

*****

 

It was morning. I woke up to the sounds of rain hitting against my window, the sky dark and portentous. The droplets slid down the glass, like all the tears that I’d shed. I lay still in my bed thinking about my cat, Fat Molly, and him.

 

Of course it was a dream, but it felt so real, and I could swear the mattress still smelled like him. It’s time I got up, and wake up.

 

But beside the bed, right where he left it, were the yellow rain boots, splattered with rain.

 

*****

 

A/N: Hi! If you like this one-shot remember to subscribe and comment alright? It's easy, the subscribe button is just up there! :D

 

*****

 

WRECK

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/545856

G-Dragon and Yoon Yu Ri, who will end up wrecking who?

 

Fortune

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/646036

Oh Yool is accused of murder and the only one who can help her is Kwon Jiyong, the man who betrayed her at the very last moment.

 

The Last Winter

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/616955

Is this the last time Hye Ri will sepnd winter with Sehun?

 

*****