Kwang Soo: The Diamond In The Rough

The Ace And The Grasshopper

"She's here! Song Ji Hyo's here!" Haha shouted excitedly as everyone including the staff and the pds applauded and cheered.

"Ah...Neh..." Ji Hyo looked around the room, confused by the overly enthusiastic crowd. 

Jae Suk quickly made his way over to her and grabbed her by the elbow. "This gathering is in your honor, Ji Hyo-ah. It's our way of thanking you for joining our testosterone-filled family!" 

"You don't know how often these guys complained about the lack of feminine presence on the show! Now that you're here, it gives us even more energy to do well!" Suk Jin chimed in as the others nodded furiously.

"We're really glad that you're here." Jae Suk said warmly, giving her a light push on the back to join the members' table. "Go take a seat and have fun!" 

"Neh, oppa." She answered back, bumping against a few tables because of the little space there was in the restaurant.

"Noona, come sit next to me!" Joong Ki said, flashing him a killer smile. "I saved a spot for you."

"Sure, Joong Ki-ah." She replied, as she walked over to him, glad to be sitting next to someone she was friends with in real life. They had met each other a few years ago on the set of a movie and even though they weren't very close, they could still be considered friends. 

Joong Ki handed her the menu and as soon as the waiter left with her order, Kwang Soo, who was sitting on her right, tapped her lightly on the shoulder. 

"Yes?" She said as she met his eyes. "What is it, Kwang Soo?"

"Noona, I heard some rumours about you when you used to attend high school and I was curious if they were true." Kwang Soo stared at her, his tongue burning from the questions he wanted to ask.

"Go ahead." She said, drinking some ice cold water. Summer this year was particularly hot in Seoul and it didn't help that there were more than 50 people in the only private room in the restaurant. She fanned herself with a napkin as she felt everyone's eyes on her. What she didn't know was that it was an "initiation" they did to everybody who guested on the show. Jong Kook was good at reading people and judging by the way they answered his tall dongsaeng's questions, he could tell what kind of person they were.

"Is it true that you were a bully? Someone told me that you used to walk around with your little gang and steal lunch money." The Giraffe said straight forwardly, not caring that Ji Hyo was choking and coughing on her water. "Oh! And that you had a fake ID to go clubbing."

"What?! Who the hell told you that shi-" She stopped in her tracks and cleared . "...crap?!"

"J-Ji Hyo-ah..." Jong Kook mumbled, dumbfounded. He never thought she would be the kind of woman who'd use foul language. Most of the female guests that Kwang Soo annoyed would just politely dodge his question or give a vague answer. But she looked like she was ready to strangle someone: there was a frightening side to her despite her sweet and innocent appearance. Song Ji Hyo was not an ordinary woman.

"Hm...I guess the other rumour was true...You DO curse a lot. And apparently, you drink a lot too." Kwang Soo thought out loud, as he rubbed his scruffy chin.

The other men quickly got over their initial shock and laughed at Kwang Soo's remark.

"You're dead to me." She whispered loud enough for everyone around the table to hear. "If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye opened." She squinted her eyes at him and pretended to slit .

"So you are really that kind of woman!" Kwang Soo gasped, putting his hand over his mouth and earning unstoppable laughter from his hyungs. "I was just saying some random things to see how'd you react!"

"They are so entertaining!" Gary whispered in Haha's ear.

"And she's got to be one of the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." Haha sighed, taken by her good looks.

"Already falling for her?" Gary and Jong Kook teased a blushing Haha.

"Bringing these 2 on the show was Jae Suk's idea, you know?" Suk Jin told Jong Kook and the two kids while the KwangHyo pair was still bickering about Ji Hyo's past. Joong Ki tried to calm them down but they were both so hot-headed and stubborn! 

Jong Kook stepped up before the animated conversation between the two variety newbies became a full-blown fight. He said what he was certain would grab their attention. "Did you hear what Suk Jin hyung said? It was Jae Suk hyung who suggested both of you to the pds!" 

"And it is certainly the best idea I've ever had in my whole career." Jae Suk said, amused over the sudden calmness and peace between the two. 

"Tell us why you wanted them on the show." Joong Ki said, curious as to why he was also on the show.

Jae Suk nodded in response as he took a sip of ice tea. Everyone at their table quieted down.

"The first time I saw Kwang Soo was at an advertisement studio." He started as he put down his glass. "You probably don't remember since I was just stopping by." He said to Kwang Soo.

"I was filming a show near the studio and the director of that ad was also in charge of an ad I was going to film the next day. He wanted to talk to me about something but we were both too busy. Fortunately, he had a short break during filming and so I came to the studio." Jae Suk stopped for awhile and reminisced about the first time he saw the Giraffe.

Three years ago, Kwang Soo was a nobody in the entertainment industry. He had walked many runways but being a model wasn't his dream: acting was. He went on to audition for the main character in many tv shows but it was to no avail. His average looks and not so average stature didn't stand out to the director. Until one fateful day. A new actor, who was supposed to play the role of a clumsy and egocentric weirdo, got a serious illness. Filming was to start in a few days and the auditions for that character had been closed for awhile now. Where could they possibly find someone who fit that character?

Kwang Soo, who was originally an extra on the sitcom, seemed like someone who could pull off that kind of character well in the director's eyes. He had caught his attention during a special part of the audition. He was asked to answer some questions the same way his character would and the answers Kwang Soo came up with were witty and clever. And so, he was quickly given the role.

Shortly after the sitcom finished filming, he got a small amount of fame. He got a few advertisement deals and one in particular in which he portrayed a bizarre guy. 

That's when Jae Suk saw him for the very first time. He had left a good impression. He witnessed Kwang Soo's strange but hilarious personality and thought that he would make an interesting addition to the variety world. He was a gem that needed a little cutting and polishing and Jae Suk made sure that he would be the one to do that if he was offered to host another show.

Not long after Family Outing wrapped up, he was approached by the same pds to film Running Man. He had gladly accepted and suggested a few people to star with him on the show.  Haha was first, then came Jong Kook, third was Gary and last but not least was Kwang Soo. 

The pds had never heard about Kwang Soo and were a little bit worried about choosing him but Jae Suk reassured them that they would be greatly surprised and delighted. 

"What about me and Joong Ki?" Suk Jin interrupted Jae Suk's story, wondering if he had forgotten to mention them.

"The pds thought we needed a veteran and a funny pretty boy to balance out the overall age and looks. And so I casually mentionned your names." Jae Suk explained as they nodded in understanding.

"Thank you, Jae Suk hyung." Kwang Soo stood up to hug the Grasshopper over the table. "I will not disappoint you!" He sniffled, touched that the Nation's MC would trust him blindly and give a nobody like him a chance at success in the variety world.

"It's nothing much. Great talents are everywhere, they only need to be discovered." Jae Suk said as he returned the hug.

"What about Ji Hyo then?" Gary asked, as Ji Hyo eyed Jae Suk in admiration. "Why'd you want her on Running Man?"