little kitchen

little kitchen

little kitchen
myungsoo/sungjong. chef!au of sorts. rated g. a drabble.
in which so much has between the two of them and yet, Myungsoo still doesn't know how to say no to Sungjong.

for Nin, a dear friend who turns another year older. it's not much as it's just a quickie, but i do hope you enjoy this. Happy Birthday! ♡



"So," Sungjong starts, doesn't even try to hide the smirk on his face that grows wider as the person standing in front of him scowls, obviously feeling more uneasy than irritated like he's trying, in vain, to make Sungjong believe.

"So," Myungsoo parrots. "What exactly are you doing here?"

"Whoa, hyung, is that a way to talk to a patron? No wonder it's so.... quiet down here," Sungjong whispers conspiratorially while glancing around the indeed quiet, empty small cafe as if to prove his point.

He only laughs when Myungsoo glares down at him.

"If you haven't noticed, this place is not officially open until next week. Which makes you not a patron. So, really, Sungjong, what are you doing here?"

Leaning back on his seat, Sungjong shrugs nonchalantly. "I don't know. Visiting an old friend, maybe? Whom I wish would be so kind to make some lunch for me because hyung, I'm famished right now," he ends in a cutesy tone.

Myungsoo rolls his eyes, but he turns around and starts walking to the open kitchen at the back corner of the cafe. Sungjong smiles, feels oddly content to find out that even after years, Myungsoo still can't say no to him.

So much has changed between them, but perhaps few things ought to stay the same, and it's good to know.

"Anything's okay with you, right? I haven't exactly stocked up here, so there isn't much I can do with," Myungsoo says as he washes his hands at the sink.

"Anything's good. Surprise me, Chef," Sungjong teases. Myungsoo groans and mutters something under his breath that Sungjong can't quite catch, but when he pulls out a blue navy apron from a drawer, Sungjong gets on his feet and offers to help him put it on.

"'S okay, I can do this on my own, rea--"

"I insist," Sungjong says, knows once again that Myungsoo will let him have his way, just like he always did in the past -- he fleetingly wonders if it'll ever change.

Myungsoo sighs defeatedly and hands him the apron. Sungjong takes it, smooths out the creases before stepping closer to Myungsoo who now has his two arms up so that it will be easier for Sungjong to tie the strips at his back. Sungjong circles his own arms around Myungsoo's waist, making them almost hug, and he's perfectly aware of their close proximity.

"Uhm, Sungjong-ah?" Can you be quick? My arms start going numb right now," Myungsoo says quietly, warm breath brushing his hair, tickling his ear, and Sungjong shivers involuntarily. He quickly tightens the tie and steps back a little, only to wrap his arms around Myungsoo again a second later.

"Sungjong-ah?" Myungsoo's voice sounds hesitant, as if he doesn't quite know what to do, as if he doesn't quite know the person hugging him right now.

And maybe he doesn't; maybe the years they spent apart from each other have made them a stranger to one another, because honestly Sungjong can't say for sure that he knows this Myungsoo either -- the Myungsoo he thought he knew would never step into the kitchen to cook unless it's utterly necessary, leave alone being a chef and opening a cafe.

But the Myungsoo he thought he knew -- the one he missed, he loved, or maybe still does now, Sungjong's not sure, it's all too confusing -- also has always been gentle, always, even at times when he should be furious for being accused of thing he'd never done.

"I missed you," Sungjong murmurs against Myungsoo's shoulder before he can stop himself, knows fully well that it's so selfish of him; that maybe a thousand I'm sorry's are what he should've said instead -- and he would, later, but Myungsoo had to hear this first.

Everything seems to stand still, until Myungsoo wraps his arms around him, holds him, and whispers, "I know. I missed you, too."

-

"Mmmmmh, that smells fabulous. What's it called?" Sungjong says as he eyes the plate Myungsoo has just served in front of him.

"Fettuccine with Swiss Chard and Garlic," Myungsoo says, places a light peck on top of Sungjong's head before taking a seat next to him.

Sungjong stares at the food, and then tilts his head a little, looking somewhat confused.

"I swear this looks familiar... "he says, and growls in annoyance when Myungsoo suddenly chuckles, the soft voice echoed throughout the whole place. "What? What's so funny?"

"Remember LA? When we sneaked out of the hotel at night and went downtown? You said you were starving, so we--"

"No way," Sungjong gapes at him. Myungsoo just grins sheepishly.

"Yes way. Well, you loved it so much then, so hopefully you'll like this one?" he asks, looking so earnestly nervous Sungjong can't help kissing him to ease the worry.

"Don't be ridiculous, why wouldn't I?" he mouths. "Just one little thing, though."

"What?"

"Feed me."

Myungsoo laughs, but Sungjong knows he has won yet again this time.


--

end note: just in case anyone notices, the 'let me help you put on the apron' scene idea was so conveniently inspired by a scene in Let's Eat drama, episode 8 ;)