1

Beautiful Stranger

"Amber! What are you doing?! That's supposed to be delivered to the Crown Prince!"
"Well yeah, what did you think I was going to do with it?" Amber whispered back to her sister. Crown Princess Jacqueline had caught her sister sneaking through the castle at an absurd hour of the night. Clutched in the other princess' hand was a letter addressed to Prince Minho of the neighboring kingdom. If all went well Jacqueline would marry the man of her dreams and their kingdoms would be forever allied.
"That's not supposed to leave until tomorrow morning." Jackie hissed.
"I know that, but this is important, and the sooner it gets to the prince the better. Besides you know what'll happen if father has his way. That idiot messenger will take all year to get there and the whole kingdom will be able to quote the thing before it even gets to the castle!"
Jacqueline nodded in agreement, knowing her sister was right. The king would no doubt send his favorite messenger, a young man named Seungri. The man's loyalty wasn't the problem. Seungri was loud, self-important, and a notorious flirt. No doubt he'd stop at all the biggest taverns to brag about having a mission from the king and woo the ladies. Amber was right, it would be best if someone else took it instead.
"Well then what are we going to do if the royal messenger isn't going to take it? The letter has to be delivered somehow." Jacqueline wondered aloud. Amber rolled her eyes.
"That's what I'm saying! I'll take the letter myself. That way we know it went to the right person and we don't have to worry about the royal blabbermouth spreading rumors!" She pressed. Jacqueline considered her sister's words. She had a point, but there was something missing. She sat with a sigh, motioning for the other girl to join her.
"Amber," She started, wrapping an arm around her sister. "What's this about? Why do you have to take this particular message?" Amber fiddled with the hem of her shirt nervously and rested her head and Jacqueline's shoulder.
"I'm just sick of being stuck in the palace. The dresses, the formalities, the isolation. I'm sick of the whole thing. I can't even go by my real name in my own home, not to mention my hair!" The years of bottled up frustration exploded out of the younger princess. Jacqueline chuckled, running her fingers through Amber's short locks. They had finally convinced their parents to let her cut her hair, but she was forced to wear long wigs all the time. A boy's haircut was not deemed a fitting look for a princess. Amber laid her head in her hands in defeat.
"I just want out. Even if it's just for a few days I want to get out of the castle and be myself. Not Princess Josephine, just Amber. That's all I want." She admitted quietly. The two sisters sat in silence for some time, mulling over the situation.
"Well," Jacqueline said, rising from her seat. "Come on then." Amber looked up, confused. "Lots to be done and packed if you're delivering this. You'll need maps, money, proper clothing, weapons, all kinds of things! Better get started now while everyone's asleep." The smile that spread over Amber's face was as bright as the morning sun itself. The girls linked hands and sped through the castle as quietly as possible, gathering everything Amber would need. At last she was ready, and with one final run through her gear Jacqueline wished her sister luck and Amber was gone from the castle. As soon as Amber reached the outermost gates Jacqueline dashed back through the castle, heading straight for the guard's quarters.
"Captain Park! I need you immediately!" She announced, bursting through the doors of the Captain's office. "I need one of your most trustworthy men ready to leave in ten minutes. I'll explain everything." There was absolutely no way she was letting her precious sister leave the castle without at least one guard. Whether she liked it or not, Amber was going to have some company.