Chapter 8

Candy Kiss

Chapter 8

Yeseul stared at the door in front of her. It read, “Infinite – stage room.” She breathed a heavy sigh and glanced at Dongwoo, standing beside her, for reassurance. She placed her hand on the cold door knob and opened the door, walking inside and then holding the door for Dongwoo and one of Dongwoo’s managers who followed.

“YEahhhhhh, Dongwoo!!” Cheered the Infinite members as Dongwoo and the five boxes of pizza he was carrying came into their view. Grinning, Dongwoo set the pizzas on a low table. The manager who had walked in with him placed a bag of drinks beside the pizza boxes. Whooping and hollering, the Infinite members circled the table, ready to dig in.

“Wait,” said the manager, “Dongwoo has a guest here.”

Yeseul stepped forward shyly in front of the Infinite members. Dongwoo stood beside her and introduced her. “Guys, this is Yeseul Noona. She’s my old dance teacher and friend from high school.”

Yeseul felt as if she was shrinking with pressure, being exposed to the curious eyes of the Infinite members. She was overwhelmed by their appearances; with their stage makeup and costumes, they were all strikingly handsome and breathtaking, as people often feel around celebrities. They gave off a strange and glamorous vibe that contrasted to Dongwoo’s friendly, warm presence.

Dongwoo explained to s how he had gotten to know Yeseul from their high school years, how she had moved away, how after four years, she had sent him a letter and a gift, how they had met at the fansigning, and how they had encountered each other again there at the MBC studio. About Yeseul being a member of the National Jazz-Hip-Hop Team, about her team leaving for its world tour. The members listened intently, nodding at certain points, adding sounds of recognition at points they recalled. They seemed a little astonished by the scope of the events that had taken place, especially during the past few weeks, but maintained courtesy for their friend Dongwoo and his guest.

“So, because she’s leaving in a week, I’ve decided to spend as much time as I can with her,” Dongwoo said, wrapping up his lengthy explanation, “Which means she will see a lot of you guys too. I hope you guys don’t mind.” With his hesitant words, Dongwoo gave a tentative smile to his group members.

For a few precious seconds, the room went silent. But the silence flew past quickly as the members began speaking in unison, beaming back at Dongwoo with bright smiles. Their cheerful acceptance of the situation brought a wave of relief to Yeseul, softening the tension in her posture.

With cool consent the members pulled up an extra chair for Yeseul, and the group began devouring the pizza.

“Are you older than all of us?” asked Sunggyu. Yeseul nodded in response. She knew all of the Infinite members’ ages. She was a fan after all.

“You’re pretty!” said Sungjong, making Dongwoo cough unexpectedly. Yeseul blushed but smiled, then added, “So are you!” Sungjong laughed, replying with a small “thank you.”

“So a world tour, how does that work?” asked Woohyun.

“Our team is going to be travelling to cities around the world, performing and promoting Jazz-Hip-Hop and South Korea. We start in Asia and slowly circle through the globe. It’s about a two-year tour. We’ll be everywhere.” Yeseul replied.”

“Sounds sweet! I’m so jealous.” Said Hoya.

During the time in which the members battered Yeseul with questions about her National dance team and about her and Dongwoo, the eight of them had consumed three boxes of pizza. Hanging out with the Infinite members for a couple of hours, Yeseul’s nerves had disappeared, to be replaced by a cozy feeling inside toward the fun-loving, pleasant boys in front of her. They seemed to resemble imposing, untouchable figures externally, but they were just a bunch of goofy boys, internally. Yeseul was glad Dongwoo was in the hands of such good friends.

After dinner, despite Dongwoo’s arguments to take Yeseul home in Infinite’s van, she insisted on riding the bus back. The members and managers having left for their cars already, Dongwoo lingered with Yeseul in the inner doorway of the MBC Studio. Without words, they faced each other and smiled. Dongwoo wondered whether he was in a dream. But as he reached out to touch her hands, he felt the real, warm flesh of Yeseul’s fingers.

“This is surreal,” Dongwoo muttered.

“Just think, we’ll see each other again, tomorrow,” Yeseul retorted, heart fluttering just at the thought.

“Well I guess I’ll go,” Said Yeseul, extending her arms toward Dongwoo and embracing him tightly. Dongwoo’s whole figure singed at the sensation. Yeseul began to pull herself loose, but Dongwoo hugged her more securely. “I don’t wanna let you go.”

They stayed locked in position, relishing each other’s presence. When Dongwoo finally let Yeseul go, she was a little disappointed.

 

----------------------------------



The next morning, the Infinite members piled into their van in simple clothes and fresh, morning faces.

“Hey Dongwoo,” called Jungryeol hyung, one of Infinite’s primary managers.

“Huh?”

“Yeseul-ssi is coming to the studio with the coordination team,” Said Jungryeol, “She called me last night and suggested it herself. We were both worried that a suspicious female visiting Infinite would draw attention, but she said there should be no risk if she pretended like she was one of the coordinators. I thought it was a pretty good idea.”

Wow, seriously? That’s brilliant,” answered Dongwoo, bouncing with excitement that he would see Yeseul again, that they had only parted for a brief time since last night.

“Ooooh!! Look at Dongwoo hyung! He’s totally hyped to Yeseul Noona!” Sungyeol pointed and mocked with a mischievous laugh.

The other members, faces grinning and eyes shooting accusingly at Dongwoo, began pestering Dongwoo with odd noises. Dongwoo, trapped inside a moving van, answered them with chuckles and indefinable words.

“We’re here!” announced Jungryeol, pulling the van to a halt outside the YTN-Star Studio building. As soon as the van stopped, Dongwoo bolted out, ignoring the accusing calls of s, and rushed into the building. He dodged through corridors, arrived in front of Infinite’s stage room, and burst through the door, eyes quickly dotting this way and that way. He found Yeseul, dressed in comfortable looking jeans and a blouse, grabbing some clothes from a hanger in a spot beside the wall.

“Noona!” He called loudly, popping up in front of her.

“Oh good Dongwoo, you’re here! I have your stage outfit right here for you. Follow me,” she answered rather flatly, leading Dongwoo to a smaller area to the left of the room where the members usually changed. As they walked, Yeseul leaned close to Dongwoo and said, “Act casual Dongwoo! Don’t be too friendly and noticeable. I don’t want you to get in trouble! Just treat me like one of your coordinators.”

The two came into the changing room, and Yeseul handed Dongwoo the clothes.

“I’m so glad to see you again, in just a day!” Yeseul spoke quietly, smiling tentatively at Dongwoo with her head low as if she was afraid someone would see her.

“Me too,” said Dongwoo, but with his face calmer and more controlled, “I only thought about having you everywhere with me, not about how suspicious we would look. Sorry I almost gave you away. And sorry you have to hide to spend time with me.” Dongwoo held his head in shame. He was, in reality, a celebrity, and celebrities hanging out with an outside female ware not aloud, he knew. He wouldn’t be able to act like real friends with Yeseul at all, unless they were alone. The futility of the situation disappointed him.

“It’s okay,” replied Yeseul, giving Dongwoo’s arm a reassuring squeeze, “At least we get to see each other.”

Dongwoo looked at Yeseul in front of her, as beautiful as ever and standing right there, where he could see her and talk to her and touch her. It was a golden opportunity he was given, the chance to be with her after four years, and he needed to waste no time sulking. He smiled, and Yeseul smiled back.

“Now put your clothes on!” Said Yeseul, pointing to the stack in Dongwoo’s hands. Dongwoo’s eyes widened.

“With you in here? No way!” Dongwoo exclaimed, and gently pushed Yeseul out of the small dressing area.

As Yeseul disappeared from view with a snicker, Dongwoo heard the Infinite members coming toward him, greeting Yeseul with “Hello Noona!”

Sungyeol and L appeared in the dressing area, carrying their clothes. “Dongwoo hyung, what were you doing in here alone with Yeseul Noona just now??” asked Sungyeol, wearing that same, cursed, mischievous smile. L mimicked the same devious grin beside him. Oh, great. Dongwoo thought, eyeing the two boys in front of him who would no doubt continue to harass Dongwoo along with the other members, all week.