Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul

I am lost. No let me rephrase that. I am a little lost in a place that was not a good place to be lost.

Cemetery. Where all the dead are resting and maybe some souls are wandering together with me and starting to gossip why there was a boy wandering in a place like this. Well, I’m not really ended up here just because I want to wander around, it’s not my thing and the cemetery is not so my thing. I didn’t know that my good intention will lead me to this.

Well, let me tell you the story why the hell I am a little lost in a place like this.

I am new in this town, just move in together with my lovely father, Kibum to live together with his new husband. Yes, I said that right, husband. Jonghyun. My new handsome father the second.

Being a good son to him, I offered to go the grocery instead of him because he has to finish his unpacking. While I was walking to the shop, I found this little boy who was crying in the middle of the road while sitting in the ground. And because just like what I just said, being a good son/a good human being, I approached him and asked why he was crying. And just like some kids, he was lost and he was looking for his mother.

When I asked him where he lives, he said that his mom was in the cemetery to visit his father. And that is where my unfortunate fate started. I helped him to get to his mother who was also looking for him inside the cemetery.

I sighed while still looking around the place. I should just have joined them when they left this place. But I decided to wander a little more. I’m weird right. I know. Who was in their right mind who likes to wander in a cemetery where you can join a bunch of ghost?

But this cemetery is not like those spooky cemeteries that have a spooky vibe that was like in the movies. It feels so peaceful and calm just like some normal park where lovers scattered, holding hands, kissing and giving me a bitter feeling. How envious.

Again, I sighed for the thirtieth time. I started counting it. I have to get out of here before it gets dark and ghost will start to show their selves. I looked around hoping that maybe the front gate will just suddenly popped in front of me, but it didn’t, all that was in there was a whole peaceful empty space with graves.

I walked a little more until I reached the oldest part of the cemetery. You can say that it was old because you can notice that it was kinda isolated. No flowers just like in the frontier of the place.

Then a weird breeze touched my face and something gets in my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and when I opened it, there, I saw my Saviour, sitting on the top of the tomb. Busy picking out some grass that was slowly growing around the grave.

A sudden hope rises in my chest. I slowly approached him and as I come closer to him I notice that he was humming some old songs. I cleared my throat before I speak.

“Hi.” I greeted him.

He looked up with a very surprise looked as if he just saw a ghost. Which was very appropriate because we are in the cemetery.

“Hello.” I greeted again, but I just gained the same reaction. Surprise and startled. “Don’t worry, I am not a ghost, really. I am not. I just want to ask for a help. You see I was a little lost. Can you help me find the front gate?”

I am starting to get pissed when he didn’t answer at all. Is he deaf? Am still speaking in Korean right? It’s not like I am speaking some foreign language.

I cleared my throat again. Maybe I am speaking in a fast pace and that’s why he can understand me. I cleared my throat and brace myself. “Can. You. Help. Me. Find. The. Front. Gate?” I asked again doing some hand moves just in case he was deaf.

“You don’t have to talk like that. I am not an idiot and I am surely not a deaf.” The boy stood up and patted away some grass in his pants.

Wow! I thought while looking at him. If he only answered me immediately, just like some normal people who you asked for some help, I wouldn’t have talked like that and acted like that.  I so wanted to tell that to him, but I don’t want to act rude since to someone who might help me to get out of here. “Sorry. I just thought that you are..Um..deaf. You’re not answering me.”

He looked at me and I was kinda shocked by his look. He’s beautiful! He’s handsome! He’s adorable! He’s good looking! He’s tall! He’s magnificent! He’s wonderful! I am running of positive adjective. Did I already mention he’s beautiful? Yes, I did.

“I was just surprised that you were talking to me.” He said while looking at me with still a little bit of surprised at his face.

I snapped out from fantasizing his face after hearing just what he said. Who else am I talking to here when obviously we are the only one in this peaceful cemetery? But I don’t want to have an argument with this boy-gaining-all-positive-adjective/ my savior.

“So I was saying. Can you help me to find the front gate?” I asked instead. The sun was now on the horizon and darkness was starting to cover the place.

He eyed me for a long time before he speaks. “You’re lost, huh?”

“A little.” I said back, emphasizing my condition.

“So you’re a little lost. In the cemetery.” He started walking ahead of me that I have to double my steps to catch up with him.

He didn’t say anything if he was going to help me, but since he was starting to walk now I think he was okay helping me.

“I know right? It was kind of weird being lost here. I the cemetery.” I looked around and I notice that some place has been already dark and there was a fog from where we just left. Creepy. “So you’re helping me, right? The front gate?”

He turned around. “I am already walking you out.” He answered.

Great. If only you should have answered me I shouldn’t have asked you. Stupid. I cover my mount after that thought. If his father heard me say that he was so sure that his body was now in this cemetery’s ground. “I’m Taemin by the way. Lee Taemin.” I introduced myself instead.

“You can call me Minho.” He continued walking, but now in slower phase. He must notice that I am almost running to catch up instead. “How did you end up here anyway?”

“Oh, that.” I folded my arms on my chest to cover my body that was starting to get cold. “I help this kid get back to his mom. I found him outside the cemetery crying and because I have a good soul, I help him. And here I am. A little lost. And I am also new in this town.” He added the last sentence to justify his answer.

“That must be little Jinki.”

“Who? The kid?”

“Yup. He was always in that kind of situation. Lost.” He chuckled a little and I feel like the place suddenly glow when he smiled. This day is getting weirder.

As we continue to walk. I started to find myself talking and talking to him and to my surprise, he was talking back at me. The thought that he must be some rude guy disappeared in my mind. He was good. And beautiful.

“I forgot to ask you. Are you here to visit someone? The owner of that tomb, maybe?” I ask while we are still walking. I feel like we have been walking for a long time now, but we still didn’t reach the front gate.

“No. I was just always here.” He answered and I feel like it’s not enough. Like there was something that he still have to say. Really. “Do you like this town?” He was always throwing the topic back at me whenever I’m opening a conversation about him.

“Well, I don’t know yet. We just got here today and I still haven’t looked at the whole town. Do you think I’ll gonna like it here?”

“Sure you are. There are lots of good places here. I have been here since I was born until grew up and I haven’t heard anything about crimes or bad things about this time.” He smiled at me and I swear to Heavenly God that that was the brightest smile I’ve ever seen.

“When you said good places. I am sure that this cemetery is counted. Right?”

“Yes, it is. And this is my favorite place too. It’s calm and peaceful. Don’t you think?”

“Sure it is. I find it peaceful and calm too.” I looked at his side view and just like what I thought he was perfect. “You know what. I think I like you.” I suddenly muttered and I swear, I saw he blushed. I saw him blush in this dark place. My eyes were really good. “Not the like like. What I mean is I like you as a companion. As a friend. I kinda like talking to you.”

“Oh.” He said and cleared his throat. “I like you too. You are the first person that I talked for a long time. And also you can see me.”

That was really a weird reason. “Of course I can see you. What do you mean by that by the way?”

“What I mean is that you can see me like that. Like a friend, a companion.” He pointed something. “There’s the front gate.”

Thanks Heaven of God. At last. After a long walk I can see it. The exit.

We then reached the front gate and it’s time to say bye-bye when suddenly an old man appeared in front of us.

“Young man, why are you still here?”

The word still didn’t escape from my sharp ears. How this old man did know I was still here?

“I saw you with little Jinki this afternoon. I thought you left with them.” He said again, which made me shocked because he just literally answer my question. The question that I asked in my mind.

“Ahm..well, I just wandered around and got a little lost. But thanks to him I found my way out.” I said and I looked at Minho who was looking at the ground with his hands in his back. He just looked like a little kid who committed a sin.

“To him, huh?” The old man mumbled while looking at Minho. “What a good soul.” He added with a smile in his face. “You should better go now young man. Don’t you have something to do?”

“Oh yeah, crap.” I mumbled when I remember that I have to go shopping. I turned to Minho. “Thanks Minho. I really appreciate your help.” I said to him and he looked at me. Smiling.

“No problem.” He said.

“Nice meeting you.” I extended my hand to offer a handshake, but he just stared it and slip his hands into his pocket. That’s. Rude. And embarrassing to my part.

I think the old man notice me. “Don’t mind him young man. He was just a little untouchable.”

I can tell. I thought. I took a deep breath and slipped my hand in my back pocket. “Gotta go now. See you around Minho.” I already turned my back from them when he called me and my body move on his own, like some magnet pulled me to turn on him.

“If it’s not a too much for you. Do you want to come here again tomorrow? I can show you around. There are lots of nice place here.” He said with an adorable smile in his face.

I thought about his offer. Do I want to come tomorrow? Of course I want to. But can’t he suggest another place, like a park? Beach with is obviously not. There is no beach in here. I didn’t see one when we got here, but who knows? There might be one. And it is on the other side of the cemetery. And also he might feel a bit guilty that he didn’t accept my handshake. That he’s a little untouchable.

“Sure. I’ll come tomorrow.” I answered. I waved him goodbye and exited the cemetery. I was already outside when I looked back again. He was still there, but I noticed that he has a lonely expression, but he immediately pulled a smile and wave at me. The old man waved to before he turned to Minho who just pouted and started to walk away.

Is he not going home yet?

After I got home and finished my dinner, I ran faster in my bedroom, took a shower and went straight to the bed. I want to sleep early so that this night will be over soon and I can see Minho tomorrow. I wiggled inside my blanket as the excitement ran inside of me.