Puzzle Pieces

Puzzle Pieces

"I'll be back late don't wait up." He said barely giving me a glance before he headed out the door. This was our shared place and yet it felt like it was only mine because of how little time we spent together. We bought this apartment as a couple, but it seemed like in the end I was the only one living here. Sure his clothes and miscellaneous things were here, but objects are not people. 

I got lonely. I sighed and ran my finger through my hair. My phone rang a happy cheery melody which contrasted with my mood. The air in the apartment was thick as I calmed my silent sobs trying to hide the sadness in my voice.

"Don't talk just listen." Key commanded and I shifted my position on the couch, crossing my legs and nodding my head even though I knew he couldn't see me doing so. "Hana you know I love you, and as your friend I want you to dump that Choi Minho." I sharply inhaled, his name had such an effect on me. I could feel my tears start to build up.

"But-" I was shushed as I started to speak.

"I said let me talk. You're going to defend him I know. He's no good for you, all he does is make you sad and don't even deny it I can see you crying right now." Key said. I quickly turned my head to the door and saw him standing there taking off his shoes his phone still pressed to his ear. When he caught my gaze he turned off his phone and slipped it into his pocket.

He took three long strides and instantly Key was standing in front of me. His hands moved to cup my face and his fingers brushed away my tears.

"That idiot didn't even lock the door. What if a robber randomly choose your place to ransack, you could be tied up in a closet by now!" Key yelled. I knew he meant well, I knew he wanted me to know that Minho wasn't the greatest guy in the world. I knew all that and yet I couldn't leave him. The saying love makes you blind is true, because even though I knew Minho was no good for me I knew our relationship wasn't going to end until he said so.

"I would have locked it." I muttered turning my head away from Key's eyes. He pitied me,but that wasn't what I was worried about. It was the anger in his eyes, it wasn't towards me or Minho,it was towards himself. He was angry that he couldn't do anything to help. Key was a natural helper and to know that I drove him crazy at times for not being able to help me... I had come to hate myself because of that.

"What if you didn't. Face it that jerk doesn't care about you." Key said before sighing and plopping himself on the couch net to me. He slung an arm around my shoulders and pulled me into his warm embrace. This warmth from Key is what made me confide in him, He was the only friend of mine that knew about the reality of Minho and I's relationship, everyone else thought that we fit together like puzzle pieces and that our relationship was strong.

No one knew that he was cheating on me with various women or that he never looked at me with love in his eyes when we were alone. In public he put on a show, we were a happy couple that smiled and kissed and laughed. He should have been an actor, he was great at faking characters.

"I know."

"Why would you stay with him knowing all this?"

"I love him." I managed to choke out. I leaned myself closer to Key and snuggled into him. I should be doing this with Minho but he was probably out meeting one of his flings. I felt myself grow tired and Key began to stoke his hand up and down my arm.

"Your tired aren't you." He asked. I wasn't sure if it was about Minho and I or if it was just about being sleepy. I nodded my head regardless, for either question my answer would have been yes anyway.

I closed my eyes and fell asleep. When Key came over like this and I was in his arms I felt safe, I felt comfortable. I felt content. If there was one good thing that came from my broken relationship it had to be Key. If it wasn't for Minho and his ways we would have never met.

 The winter wind made me shiver as I leaned against the lamppost in the park. Minho had said to meet him there since he was supposed to take me on one of the carriage rides that the park had to offer. I watched several couples happily ride the carriage as I waited. I checked my phone and sighed know he was more than three hours late. I blew on my hands to keep them warm before sticking them back into my coat pockets.

"Excuse me." I heard a voice say before I was tapped on the shoulder. I turned and saw a man with cat like eyes and a red scarf wrapped around his neck, he was holding a mug that showed the contents were still hot, steam rose from the cup. I smiled at him but he didn't respond with a smile back. Instead he shoved the mug towards me and took off his scarf he wrapped it around my bare neck. I took the mug and he chuckled as I sniffed the contents. It smelled sweet.

"Relax its hot chocolate. It looks like you need it more than I do."

If Minho caught me talking to him, I would be in big trouble, and the guy no doubt would receive a beating.

"Thanks but I think you should leave."

"You must have a boyfriend." He chuckled and I nodded my head. He rocked back on forth on his toes before pouting at me. "To bad, if he cared he would have been here three hours ago when you got here." He said and I widened my eyes in shock.

"H-how did you know that?" I asked.

"I saw you when I was on my way to meet a friend. Lucky for you, he had a date tonight or else you might not have gotten that warm drink." I smiled before taking a sip. Hot chocolate was my favourite drink to have in the winter time. Warmth washed over me and I looked back at the man who had been watching me drink.

"What's your name?" He asked as I took another sip.

"Hana."

"Well Hana there's one good thing from waiting this long for your boyfriend." He paused before smiling " You got to meet me. I'm Key."

A loud growl woke me up. I blinked my eyes rapidly as I felt myself come out of my sleeping state. Minho stood in front of Key and I and he wasn't happy. His face held a scowl and his fist were balled up like he was ready to throw and punch. I looked at Key who's eyes had grown dark.

"Hana. I leave you for a little while and your all cozy with this guy!" Minho said. He never referred to Key by his name; he often used 'guy'- and said it in an angry tone- whenever he did talk about him. Its funny how he always got jealous when I was with other guys and yet he expected me to be okay with him cheating and hanging around other girls.

I glanced at the clock that was hung on the wall behind Minho. He had been gone for five hours now. It made me wonder if Key had stayed in this position all this time. The TV was on so he must have been watching it before Minho came home.

"A little while! You were gone for five hours! Did you have fun banging your for the night? Huh Choi? Did you?" Key spat at him as he leaped up from his spot on the couch and balled his fists.

"Get out!" Minho screamed and I cringed at the loudness of his voice. Key glanced at me before looking at Minho.

"I'll leave. But not because you say so. I'm leaving for her sake, I don't want to have to beat up the man she loves right in front of her. I swear to god Choi Minho I'd kill you right now if I didn't already know Hana would cry over you." Key left soon after, Minho made sure to lock the door this time.

I didn't even realize how scared I was until Minho was staring at me. His eyes dark and angry. He chuckled and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I love you too much to do that." I relaxed at his words. He crossed his arms in front of his chest, his eyes still the same. "Hana. You're not allowed to see that guy again. For all I know he could try something with you."

"Key's not like that." I mumbled.

"Right, he's a fairy right? He likes the D." Minho's voice was teasing but I knew he meant for his words to be spiteful towards Key.

Key was straight, though, he wasn't gay at all. I didn't respond and when he knew I wasn't going to say anything else Minho left the apartment once again. This time without a word.

I stared at the wall for a while, once I knew he wasn't going to be back for the night- Minho texted me ten minutes after he left to tell me so- I picked up my phone and dialed Key's number. He picked up after the first ring.

"He's gone for the night." I muttered. Key chuckled.

"Should I come over again?" He asked I shook my head ever though he couldn't see me.

"No... can I come to your place though?"

"Jonghyun girlfriend is over, I think its best for us to go out." I giggled. Before Key continued to speak. " How about I take you on a carriage ride." I smiled. Minho never did take me on one that night.

"Sure I'll meet you at the park." I hung up and got ready. Key made me feel happy, and if I had a choice I would much rather love him then Minho. 

***

Key helped me get into the carriage and the man who was running the ride smiled.

"You have a wonderful boyfriend there miss. Most fella's I know would just make sure you get up on it by yourself." I opened my mouth to tell him Key wasn't my boyfriend before Key cut me off. He smiled at the man thanking him for the complement before sitting down next to me.

"You deserve a boyfriend who will treat you right, even if its just for a few moments." Key whispered as we began going around the park. It was moments like this that I felt sick to my stomach. I knew staying with Minho was wrong, I couldn't help it. I loved him. And it was my love that made me turn the other cheek to all the horrid things that he had done to hurt me.

 


Thanks for reading! I hope you all enjoyed it, this used to have another chapter but after reading it over i liked it better as a oneshot :)