Club Eden

His Favorite Ex-Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s invite couples to gather by the dance floor and circle around Mr. and Mrs. Wu!” Yixing announces, resting the microphone carelessly to the table next to him to grab the hand of his girlfriend, Saki. He waves at the table in front of him, coaching two other males to join him. Tao, the younger one, guides the back of his girlfriend Eun Hye to stand up. He signals something to the other male next to them but he just shyly smiles and shakes his head “no.”

“Come on, Xiumin! Lift your !” Kris yells, beckoning his friend to join them. His then-girlfriend and now-wife Maki turns her head and smiles.

But Xiumin remains on his seat, giving the same ‘ol reply. A sheepish grin followed by a subtle nod.

The dance floor is now flooded by couples, each pair falls into one spectrum that has different shades from oldest to youngest, to cutest to loveliest. As the upbeat music starts to fill the room, a different kind of music fills Xiumin’s insides. He looks around him and sees that the only person sitting is himself, aside from Kris’s grandpa on the wheelchair. But even he is accompanied by his equally elderly wife who is tapping her hands on her husband’s shoulders happily.

He once again diverts his look at the dance floor. Yixing and Saki are obviously the couple that has the craziest dance routine; blame it to Yixing’s job as a choreographer and Saki’s career as a Ballroom dance instructor. The two may be working in the same field, but they have contrasting tastes that perfectly suits each other.

Tao and Eun Hye, on the other hand, are careful to give it their all, which is surprising judging that Tao is the self-proclaimed Dance King and Eun Hye works as a dance instructor alongside Saki.  Eun Hye insists on dancing but Tao wouldn’t let her, afraid that she and their baby growing inside her belly will get tired with the slightest moves. She argues that she is only two months pregnant but he already treats her as if she’s due the next day.

The couple in the middle is of course, the one that has everyone’s attention. Kris and Maki have never exclusively dated because they have always hated each other’s guts. In front of their friends, they mock each other relentlessly. But behind doors, who would have thought that this couple does something else relentlessly? The most surprising thing about this is that they had been doing it for years; since college when their circle has been formed. So when the two broke out the news of their impending wedding, everyone is both flabbergasted and expectant of it.

“That’s why they are both single the whole time,” Xiumin mutters.

“Like you. You are single. The only single guy here. Don’t you feel insecure?” Tao says while helping Eun Hye sit on the chair.

“Being single is awesome.” Xiumin retorts as he sits properly, facing his friends who are one-by-one joining the round table.

“Says the guys who can’t date.” Kris says sarcastically, resting his chin on one of Maki’s shoulders who is comfortably sitting on his lap.

“What are you talking about, duizhang? Xiumin is quite the ladies man. Who can’t resist this very amazing, bun-like face? Almost all the girls here, even those who already has grandchildren, are checking him out. He is cute. He is adorable. He is a baozi-“

“Now is the time to shut it, Yixing.” Xiumin sticks crumpled napkin inside his friend’s mouth, halting him from speaking. Yixing chews the napkin out of his mouth, offering it to his girlfriend. Saki looks away in disgust but not before slamming a dumpling inside his mouth.

“It’s true though. Everyone loves you. Girls can’t resist you. How come you’re still single? Everyone in our circle has already settled down.” Kris chimes in again, stifling a laugh after witnessing what happened to Yixing.

“Because I’m waiting for that special someone to come. I’m saving myself so I’m prepared when my princess arrives.” Xiumin grins as he smiles coyly at his friends. Talking about getting him a girlfriend has always been the conversation whenever they are together. And every day, they hang out. It is unimaginable how hard it is for Xiumin to hear the same thing over and over again. He hangs his head low, turning his attention to the wine glass in front of him.

“That’s bullpoop. Your princess came already. You were just too stupid to run away from her. Literally.” Tao joins the conversation.

He suddenly stops any motion he is doing. For a moment, Xiumin’s love life passes before his eyes. At age 27, he is young, carefree, and rebellious. His work as a Marketing Manager makes him exposed to women all the time. He has dated numerous girls but only had a few serious ones. Who amongst t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter