Friends

See You Later, Stranger

Gosh, darnit. I have no clue how this chapter came to be like this. It's so...cute, and I can't do cute.

Anyway, I couldn't conjure up a suitable scene for the ending, so please don't be too annoyed by the lack of progress. Progress will have to made in the next chapter. Yes, my mind is still hardwired for multi-chaptered stories. Excuse me for writing errors!


 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo found himself always staring through the chain-linked fence that separated the high school and college campuses. It was honestly an involuntary action. Every time he laid eyes on that ten-foot-tall, diamond-wired barrier, he would mechanically drift towards it, compelled as if a magnet was drawing him in.

He was hoping that he might catch a glimpse of Jongin again.

And Luhan was the only one aware of that.

Classes had resumed nearly a week ago, and on that same day, a boorish college senior by the name of Yejoon and his gang had arrogantly confronted Luhan—and additionally Kyungsoo who had been with the doe-eyed male at the time. Luhan had adamantly rejected all of Yejoon’s suggestive advances, which had angered the latter, and it seemed that the two pretty males were going to be in deep trouble. Kyungsoo had gotten intimately caught up in the mess when Yejoon decided that he wanted to have a taste of his lips.

Only the bastard didn’t.

Kyungsoo’s first (real) kiss was saved by the unexpected appearance of a dashing high schooler—the same one with the blond hair and tan skin who had miraculously caught Kyungsoo before he could smash his delicate face on the sidewalk.

Kyungsoo couldn’t express how...gratifying it was to finally know his stranger of a savior’s name.

Jongin.

He liked the way it sounded; how it rolled of his tongue softly and smoothly. It suited Kyungsoo’s Mr. Stranger perfectly.

Anyways, Kyungsoo and Luhan had a spoken agreement not to tell anyone of the mess that had transpired because they didn’t want to make a hassle of having their friends freak out about them being assaulted or molested. In fact, they’d avoided seeing any of their friends after classes that day, and had hoped that no witnesses or rumors had circulated around campus. Luckily, none had. There had been no onlookers during the nasty confrontation.

“Kyungsoo-yah.” The petite, owl-eyed male had a hard time tearing his unblinking eyes away from the fence. Lunch had ended not long ago, and the two of them were taking a different route to their classes (because they felt too paranoid taking the previous, less-populated path). Luhan was regarding him oddly, yet worriedly.

“Yeeeeah?” Kyungsoo answered belatedly, that one word dragged out unnecessarily. He blinked up at his concerned hyung innocently, completely absorbed in his own world.

Luhan leaned in close to whisper conspiringly, “Are you looking for that Jongin kid?”

A faint blush dusted Kyungsoo’s pale cheeks. “N-no,” he denied immediately, but his stuttering portrayed otherwise. “I just— I can’t help—” He clamped his front row of teeth over his bottom lip and used a minute to gather his thoughts. “I...I didn’t get the chance to thank him. I owe him so much already.”

Luhan stopped his in tracks, evoking Kyungsoo to also halt mid-step. The older male was staring at his young friend in disbelief. “Wait a second. You’ve met him before?” Luhan cried out incredulously.

Kyungsoo nodded sheepishly, now gnawing on his lower lip. “The day Kisoon-hyung came home, I tripped on my shoelace on my way back home from the supermarket, and he suddenly caught me out of nowhere...”

Luhan whistled appreciatively. “Either that kid is stalking you or the universe loves seeing you two together, but encountering him twice a week apart can’t be coincidence.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, though he was still pink-cheeked. “He’s not a stalker—he must live nearby if he’s going to our old high school, Lu-ge.”

Since the younger male was too naïve to catch the subtle hint, Luhan turned serious, brows furrowed and hilarity gone from his face. “Kyungsoo-yah, haven’t you wondered why he even saved you in the first place? Not once, but twice?”

“He’s a good person.” But that sounded more like a question on Kyungsoo’s hesitant lips.

Luhan shook his head obstinately. “But, Kyungsoo-yah, he didn’t have to play hero last week. In fact, he couldn’t have seen us from that far away unless he was standing in the empty lot by the school’s cafeteria,” he insisted, remembering the high school’s layout. “It was like he was watching our campus from a distance.”

Kyungsoo became unsettled and asked, “What are you trying to say, hyung?”

The pretty Chinese male groaned in worn exasperation and ran his fingers through his platinum-dyed locks. Kyungsoo was too oblivious to everything! Luhan wanted to outright confess what he had gathered about that stranger—Jongin—but he didn’t want to assume too much under brief speculations.

“Nothing,” Luhan relented, shaking his head again. “Hopefully you’ll see it yourself.”

See the look in Jongin’s eyes when he stares at you...

Kyungsoo was confused as to what his hyung meant, but was glad when they dropped the subject and hustled on to class before they arrived too late for their lectures.

 

 

...

 

 

After his lecture ended, Kyungsoo decided to take a trip to the fence.

On its concrete foundation, the intricate, wiring mesh towered a good five feet over Kyungsoo. The green paint coated on the thin strands of metal was chipped and peeling away. Underneath the faded paint, the metal was dry and rusting.

From where he idled by the fence, behind Kyungsoo was a pathway that winded around the outer fringe of the college’s campus. As of right now, he was staring on the other side of the fence. Kyungsoo saw one of the high school’s many schoolyards. This one was no different than the others—a bare tan ground with patches of pesky weeds; some shrubs growing here and there, and trees adhered around the yard’s edges.

A few high school students bypassed the area, their voices unfamiliar and figures identical in the distance—none of them resembled a tall, lean, tan-skinned male with a deep, smooth voice. Kyungsoo, even though he didn’t want to admit it, was disheartened that he couldn’t find Jongin. In fact, Jongin hadn’t showed up on his own accord at all in the past week. Kyungsoo tried not to wallow in disappointment and regret. He really wanted to meet the blond-haired male again since he had yet to thank the boy for saving him the second time.

“What’s with the pouty face, Mr. Pouty-Face?”

Kyungsoo shrieked and whirled around, but at the exact moment, accidentally stepped on a stray pebble. Like the clumsy fool he was, he lost his footing and landed on his rear end.

“Owie,” he whimpered, and rubbed at his sore bottom. He glanced up when he heard some rustling, then the sound of soles landing on the hard ground, but the sun shone in his face, so he winced and squinted his eyes, trying to make out the shadow that was approaching him.

He had a strong feeling he knew who it was, though.

“Wow, you sure fall down a lot. Are you okay?” asked that voice that was rich to Kyungsoo’s ears. It was filled with amusement and fondness.

The shadow’s figure blocked out the sun’s glare as he knelt down in front of Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was now mere inches from a handsome, god-like face.

Kyungsoo’s breath was stolen, and all he could muster in response was a tiny, amazed nod.

“Here.” A strong hand grabbed his forearm and effortlessly lifted him up onto his feet. Kyungsoo was skittish as the bit of dirt on his pants was kindly brushed off with a few sweeps of a hand.

Kyungsoo struggled to find his voice, and when he did, it came out in a stutter. “Th-thank you.” He pointedly diverted his gaze elsewhere to hide his flushed face. Why did he have to act so stupid every time he met Jongin?!

“No problem,” the high schooler said with an easygoing shrug. He stuffed his hands into his pant pockets and quietly studied the flustered owl-eyed male. Kyungsoo was quite horrible at concealing his embarrassment. “So, what are you doing here, hyung?”

Kyungsoo blinked rapidly, trying to quickly process the question. “O-oh, m-me?” He cluelessly pointed at himself. “I-I was...I was checking how tall the fence was,” he lied lamely. He quickly shifted the attention to the other male. “Why are you here?”

Jongin jerked a thumb over his shoulder to indicate the tree he’d been lounging around on like a lazy cat. It was a large tree that was rooted in the high school grounds, but its upper branches extended outward until it hung over the fence above the college campus. “It’s my study period, but I didn’t want to study because I knew I wouldn’t be able to pay attention. So I came out here and took a nap in the tree.”

“B-but that’s dangerous!” Kyungsoo protested. “You might fall!”

Jongin chuckled, and the warm sound eased Kyungsoo’s anxiousness. “Don’t worry, hyung. I’ve done it a dozen of times.” Mirth danced in his dark, tantalizing eyes. He casually leaned forward and Kyungsoo nervously recoiled back. “Say, hyung, I’ve been meaning to ask... What’s your name?”

Kyungsoo wanted to face-palm himself. He’d almost forgotten that although they’ve met, they’ve never officially exchanged names! Well, he at least knew Jongin’s first name.

“Oh!” The humble owl-eyed male bowed his head politely. “H-hello! My name is Do Kyungsoo! I’m a college freshman.”

Something between a smile and a grin laced those thick lips. “Nice to meet you, Kyungsoo-hyung. My name’s Kim Jongin. I’m a third-year in high school.”

Kyungsoo didn’t know why he felt relieved to know that Jongin was a third-year. He’s probably a year younger than me, he thought. A surge of warmth invaded every inch of his body as he realized that at this point, they were no longer strangers. They could be companions. They could be friends.

Maybe they could be more than that.

Kyungsoo blushed deeply and slapped his cheeks at that thought.

“Eh? Is something wrong, Kyungsoo-hyung? Your face is really red.”

Kyungsoo was internally surprised at himself. Did he...did he actually think that...Jongin could be that type of person where they could be more than just friends? He was aghast because he had only thought of that to one other person in his life.

Joonmyun-hyung...

No, Kyungsoo thought resolutely. He would not just betray Joonmyun (it wasn’t actually betrayal) like that. Joonmyun was the one he really liked, not a person who was once a stranger to him. Kyungsoo was only getting confused and flustered around Jongin because the younger male was...extremely attractive and good-looking and someone new.

“Kyungsoo-hyu—”

“Th-thank you.”

Jongin looked confused. “Huh? For what?”

Kyungsoo fiddled with his shirt buttons, not meeting the questionable gaze fixated on him. “F-for p-protecting Luhan-hyung and I from th-those mean people...a-and for catching m-me before I fell a f-few weeks ago...”

“Oh, that.” Jongin rubbed his neck as he thought back. “Of course.”

Kyungsoo gathered up his courage to ask, “C-can I make it up to you?”

That surprised Jongin. “Make it up to me?” he repeated, then grinned. “Sure. How, though?”

What could Kyungsoo do that would repay the blond male? Well, there was only one thing he could do that wouldn’t disappoint...

“I can make you lunch!” Kyungsoo blurted out heedlessly. “I’m a really good cook! My friends love the snacks and food I make them and always—”

“Deal,” Jongin cut in before Kyungsoo turned purple from the lack of air he was inhaling. He raised two fingers at the older male. “Make me a bento for the next two weeks, and then we can call it even.”

Kyungsoo brightened, eyes twinkling happily. “Really? Okay!” His brows creased. “B-but how will I give it to you?”

Jongin tapped his chin thoughtfully. “If you don’t have a class around eleven o’ clock, met up with me here”—he reached out to grip the wired fence—“and give it to me.”

Kyungsoo nibbled on his bottom lip. “...What happens if I don’t have classes on certain days?”

“Then met me at the school’s front gates,” Jongin solved logically. “So, are we in agreement?”

To cook lunch for someone he just recently got acquainted with for two weeks...?

“...Y-yeah.” Kyungsoo nodded, suddenly shy. “We’re in agreement.” He took a glimpse of his watch, wondering how much time had passed, and squeaked in surprise. “Eep! I was supposed to meet up with Baek-hyung ten minutes ago!”

“Hm? What’s the time?” Jongin gently took Kyungsoo’s wrist and examined the time. A nice, tingling sensation lingered on Kyungsoo’s bare skin when he was released afterwards. “Guess I’ll head back to class now, too,” conceded the taller male.

Kyungsoo frowned when Jongin scaled the fence and swung himself over to the other side. Only when the high schooler had landed nimbly on his feet unhurt, Kyungsoo relaxed.

Jongin waved at his new hyung blithely, a playful smirk plastered across his devilishly handsome face. “See you tomorrow, stranger!”

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to protest, then thought better of himself. Jongin disappeared around the structure of a building.

Strangers.

Being strangers meant so much between the two of them.

Later on, Kyungsoo met up with Baekhyun at the library where he was nagged at for being late, but the nagging faltered halfway when Baekhyun realized that Kyungsoo was too wrapped up in his own world to notice that he was being scolded.

What happened to him?

 

 

...

 

 

Cooking Jongin’s lunch—Kyungsoo took that job very seriously.

The moment he had returned home, the petite, owl-eyed male had panicked, not knowing what to cook for the tan-skinned male. He frantically sought opinion from his brother Kisoon, and the latter, in an offhand manner, replied, “Just make him a regular bento.”

Kyungsoo had kept the advice in mind—except he would made the best goddamn bento ever. The next day, just around eleven o’ clock, he fidgeted and squirmed as he waited by the fence as instructed, carrying his homemade bento in a tied up patterned fabric.

Kyungsoo expelled a breath of relief when he spotted Jongin coming over towards fence. The high schooler grinned and waved at the shorter male, and then he proceeded to climb over the barrier that separated them.

“Wow, you actually cooked me something,” Jongin said in mild amazement as he was handed his boxed lunch. He raised a queer brow. “You didn’t poison it or anything, did you?”

Kyungsoo’s lips parted in shock and objection. “Jongin-ssi!” he whined.

“I’m just teasing, hyung.” Jongin reached over before Kyungsoo could react to ruffle the latter’s raven-colored locks. “Thanks a lot.”

Kyungsoo adjusted his backpack strap. “Have a nice lunch, Jongin-ssi.”

“Hey.” A warm hand touched his narrow shoulder, and Kyungsoo froze. Jongin’s voice was soft and light as he whispered, “One more thing: just call me Jongin.”

“O-okay, J-Jongin,” Kyungsoo stammered helplessly. “I-I gotta get to class. Bye!” He rushed off, but the words “See you tomorrow, hyung!” reached his ears.

When Jongin ate his homemade lunch, his taste buds were overcome with ecstasy and his stomach rumbled in appreciation. Damn two weeks of lunch. Would Kyungsoo cook for him for the rest of his life? He began to eagerly anticipate the lunch hour—going to meet up with Kyungsoo, enjoying his brief talks with his hyung, and eating his delicious bento.

Kyungsoo’s brief excursions to the fence became a topic amongst his friends.

Since Kyungsoo usually delivered Jongin’s bento before he went off to his own lunch break, the owl-eyed male had gotten into the habit of meeting up with his friends in the canteen about ten minutes late. They peppered him with questions as to why that’d been happening as of the late.

Kyungsoo dropped his gaze down to his neatly prepared food. Nine pairs of curious eyes bore onto his small form. Only Luhan’s gaze reflected how he was well aware of Kyungsoo’s recent change in behavior.

Kyungsoo-yah is getting really close with that Jongin kid...

Minseok nudged Kyungsoo with his elbow. “Come on, Kyungsoo. Spill it. It’s not embarrassing, is it?”

Kyungsoo shook his head profusely. “N-no, it’s not! It’s just that...” He eyed Joonmyun in the corner of his vision, and the older male looked as curious and as teasing as the rest of them.

Deep inside, Kyungsoo wished Joonmyun would be jealous of someone for him. That meant he’d have some sense of feeling for him, right? Possession? Love?

The owl-eyed male poked at his rice with his chopsticks. “It’s nothing. I just made a new friend, that’s all.”

“But a high school student?” Jongdae questioned skeptically. “Out of nowhere? How old is he? What’s his name?”

“And how did you two meet?” added Zitao.

Kyungsoo his lips and said haltingly, “He’s...eighteen. And we met a few weeks back.” He avoided revealing Jongin’s name, just in case one of his friend would look up the boy’s name on the internet. “Please don’t go pestering him. We’re just being friendly, that’s all.”

“Being friendly, huh?” Jongdae smirked and waggled his brows suggestively. Zitao and Yixing snickered simultaneously while Kyungsoo sputtered in indignation. Minseok and Joonmyun shared goodnatured laughs for their cherry-red dongsaeng, and Yifan smiled faintly, though he spent most of his attention on a certain angel that was currently laughing from across the table.

Before Kyungsoo knew it, two weeks were coming to an end. At the Do’s house, Kisoon leaned against the dining room’s archway and watched his younger brother gloomily prepare a bento yet with meticulous care and utmost effort. He frowned, not liking the sadness evident on his brother’s sweet face.

I wonder what’s going on with him...

Kyungsoo decided to head to the campuses’ fence a few minutes early. He’d been distracted all day, barely registering what was being said and done in his lectures. Baekhyun and Zitao, the two of them being his classmates, had given him odd, worried looks, and it seemed that their words of concern couldn’t reach his ears.

The despairing owl-eyed male waited under a shady tree, rubbing his thumb against the soft fabric he’d wrapped Jongin’s lunchbox in. His expression was distant and troubled.

I wonder what happens after this, he thought dejectedly. I really like seeing and talking to Jongin. He’s unlike my other friends. He’s cocky, but kind. He’s proud, but witty. He’s younger, but taller than me. I think he’s kind of...perfect.

“Hyung?”

“Aah!” Kyungsoo jolted out of his skin and spun around so he could peer around the tree’s massive trunk. Jongin was there, fingers lightly clenched around the fence’s diamond-patterned wiring, slightly hesitant if he should climb over. His brows were furrowed down in a mixture of concern and anxiousness, directed at Kyungsoo.

And only Kyungsoo.

“O-oh, Jongin,” Kyungsoo said breathlessly. “You’re here.”

“I called out your name earlier, but you didn’t hear me,” Jongin stated, his voice low. “Is something on your mind?”

“N-not really,” Kyungsoo lied. “Here. I have your lunch.”

“Hold on a sec.” Jongin was able to climb over the fence in less than five seconds, having become skilled due to the many times he’s done it now. He landed by the tree where Kyungsoo waited and flicked off the chips of green paint that clung to the skin of his palms.

Their hands brushed when Kyungsoo handed Jongin his lunchbox.

Kyungsoo flinched at the touch and quickly hid his hands behind his back while Jongin frowned slightly.

“Today’s the last day,” Kyungsoo managed to say matter-of-factly. “It was fun while it lasted.” His lips quavered as he whispered, “So...bye, Jongin.” He turned around to leave, his heart constricting.

“Wait! Kyungsoo-hyung!”

Kyungsoo halted mid-step and hesitantly glanced over his shoulder. “Y-yeah?”

Jongin pursed his lips, considering something with deep thought before saying, “We can still see each other, right? I mean...how about we exchange phone numbers?”

A surge of hope and happiness coursed through Kyungsoo, his lips parted in disbelief. Jongin enjoyed his company, too? Kyungsoo wasn’t the only one?

“Sure!” They both handed over their phones and saved their numbers in the other’s contact list.

Jongin winked at Kyungsoo as he handed back the shorter male’s phone. “Text me whenever, hyung.”

Kyungsoo gaped at the name Jongin saved himself under as.

Ur Knight-In-Shining-Armor.

Before Kyungsoo could protest, Jongin had already swung himself over to the high school campus and sprinted off. Kyungsoo could practically hear the younger male’s laughter.

His phone buzzed. It was a text.

Hyung, I changed your name to My Damsel-In-Distress. Hope you don’t mind!

“Idiot,” he whispered fondly. “Of course, I mind...a little.”

 

 

...

 

 

They sent a lot of texts to each other. Usually Kyungsoo texted Baekhyun the most and maybe Zitao and Jongdae on occasion. He was too shy and would hyperventilate to even think about messaging Joonmyun. Kyungsoo felt slightly rebellious that he would even text Jongin during his lectures.

Jongin’s texts were nice and...lively.

The teacher threw chalk at me because I fell asleep in class. T^T

There’s this squirrel on the tree outside my classroom. I think it’s staring at me. O_O

At lunch, someone tumbled into Sehunnie and spilled milk on his shirt. His skin’s the same color as the milk! XD

And Kyungsoo’s replies would sound like this:

You deserved it if you slept in class, dummy.

The squirrel must think you’re handsome. Or you stole its acorns.

Someone should spill chocolate milk on you, so Sehunnie can joke about it.

Kyungsoo smiled when Jongin explained about his childhood friend Oh Sehun. He was the tall, lanky, rainbow-haired male from before who had warned Jongin about class. At first impression, Sehun was a very passive, quiet person who made it hard to tell if he was judging you behind those imperturbable eyes of his, but once you got to know him, he was picky, childish, and a smart-aleck.

You should meet him one day, Jongin had suggested one time. But, then again, he probably wants you to cook for him because I never gave him a bite of my lunch.

Kyungsoo was broken from his recollection when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around to be greeted by a dazzling smile.

“Hey, Kyungsoo-yah,” Joonmyun chirped.

Kyungsoo immediately pinked, but somehow, it wasn’t as visible as before. “H-hi, hyung. Do you need something?”

Joonmyun nodded. “Yeah, I was wondering if you could help me with my music composition project. You see, we get extra points if we construct lyrics and have someone sing it. Although you’re minoring in singing, I thought I could ask you for help because the teacher praises you a lot...”

Kyungsoo was dumbfounded. Joonmyun was asking him for help? His help?

This is my chance to get closer to Joonmyun-hyung, he realized, feeling as if he had been struck by an epiphany of a train. His heart rate quickened, and he answered without thinking:

“Yes! I’ll help you!” he gushed profusely, clapping his hands together in glee. He momentarily forget about sending a reply to Jongin, having pocketed his phone.

Joonmyun’s eyes twinkled happily. “Thanks so much, Kyungsoo-yah!” He sheepishly fiddled with his sleeve. “I hope I won’t be too much of a bother...”

“No, no! You’re never a bother!” Kyungsoo objected fervently. “So when do want to get started on your project?”

Joonmyun mentally checked through his schedule, his bottom lip jutting out habitually as he did. Kyungsoo thought it was incredibly endearing. “We can work on it maybe on...Monday, Friday, and Saturday—if that’s okay with you.”

Kyungsoo, of course, did not decline. “Of course! I’m free on most of those days! Especially Saturday!”

Joonmyun chuckled fondly and patted Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “I know, Kyungsoo-yah. Do you want to come over to my house, or do you want me to come over to yours?”

Kyungsoo debated on that seriously. He’d never been to Joonmyun’s house at all, but he knew the address at least. On the other hand, Joonmyun had been to his house on multiple occasions for short visits. Also, his house had an upright piano in the living room, and his dad and brother would be working most of the time, so they wouldn’t necessarily be bothering anyone with their music (and that meant they would be alone). Kyungsoo recalled that Joonmyun’s mom was usually at home doing something, and he wasn’t so sure about Joonmyun’s younger brother who he vaguely recalled seeing one time back in high school, but he had forgotten what he’d looked like.

Kyungsoo blurted out, “My house. You can come over to my house.”

“Great! Since tomorrow’s Friday, how about we meet after class so we can go to your place together?”

“That’s fine with me!”

Kyungsoo waved dreamily as he watched Joonmyun hurry off down the hallway. When the older male disappeared from sight, Kyungsoo released a tiny, joyful squeal (people shot him odd looks, but he was too busy in his own world to notice). He zipped down the hall, fishing out his phone at the same time so he could message Baekhyun.

Baek-hyung! Joonmyun-hyung asked me to help him with his composition project! >//<

There was an immediate, disbelieving response.

WHAT?!

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure if his friend was exclaiming in objection or giddiness. So Kyungsoo explained the situation to his baffled hyung in short sentences.

Then Baekhyun sent:

...Don’t get your hopes too far, Kyungie.

Kyungsoo had just reached his next class when he had read Baekhyun’s text. His face was scrunched up in confusion. What did Baekhyun mean by that? He didn’t want to ask because he felt somewhat betrayed without knowing why. Putting his phone on silent, he pocketed it and stepped into his last class for the day.

He didn’t remember about Jongin until the next day.

 

 

...

 

 

Friday morning, Kyungsoo’s inbox was raided with an impatient flood of messages.

Yesterday, after his last class, he had returned home to get an early start on his homework that was piling up. He had thought the less schoolwork he had to deal with, the more time he could spare for Joonmyun during their music sessions. Therefore, he had cooped himself up in his room, busting his brains as he sped through his essays and math exercises with fierce passion and heated earnest until his hand hurt from all that writing. He had stopped midway when he had to tumble downstairs to cook dinner. His dad and brother exchanged puzzled glances when he wolfed down his meal and excused himself in a hurry, exclaiming something about finishing his homework. By eleven at night, Kyungsoo felt like his brain was fried, and his eyes were dried and irritated. He put away his work and took a shower before falling into bed like a zombie.

Morning’s sunrays penetrated through the windows of his room. His alarm clock rang loudly, and after brushing his teeth and changing out of his pajamas, Kyungsoo finally picked up his neglected phone. He gasped at how much unread messages he had.

Hyung, you didn’t answer me yesterday! :(

Were you in class at the moment? Did your teacher catch you with your phone?

Hellooooooo? Anyone there?

It’s rude to ignore someone. Especially if that person is me. >:[

Are you even awake? It’s already seven-twelve! Rise and shine!

You must be really passed out...

...Kyungsoo-hyung?

...If you don’t reply, I’m going to call you in for missing persons.

That last text had been sent to him nearly ten minutes ago. Kyungsoo hastily typed in a response and pressed ‘send.’

Jongin! Calm down! I’m fine.

His phone buzzed two seconds later.

Oh, thank God. I thought something bad had happened to you.

Kyungsoo didn’t know how, but he tasted the sincerity and relief underlined in that message. It was sweet to know that Jongin really cared about his welfare.

Sorry, I got distracted with homework. There’s been a lot lately.

Well, that was a half-lie, because Kyungsoo technically forced himself to complete schoolwork due in the following week, but it sounded reasonable enough for a college student.

Oh, okay. O_O I’m just glad I don’t have to call the police if you’d gone missing.

That’s going over the line, Jongin. You’re being overdramatic.

Over you? Yes, yes I am.

That made Kyungsoo blush, but he was sure that Jongin was just teasing him. That cocky brat.

You’re a booger. Anyways, I gotta cook breakfast. I’ll text you later.

Aw! Cook me lunch? I deserve it because you almost made me have a heart attack. :O

Kyungsoo couldn’t help it, but he softened.

Fine. Meet me by the fence. Usual time.

Yay! \^0^/

Kyungsoo was smiling genuinely as he headed downstairs to prepare breakfast and an extra bento.

 

 

...

 

 

Luhan had decided to tag along with Kyungsoo.

It was purely the Chinese male’s choice to follow after Kyungsoo’s heels. He had deliberately scoured the campus for him then had latched onto his side like a leech. Kyungsoo was peeved but was too nice to shoo the older male away.

Apparently Luhan had two objectives in mind and both involved interrogating Kyungsoo.

“You like him, don’t you?” Luhan pestered, easily matching Kyungsoo’s walking pace (his legs were longer). “That’s why you’ve been wearing that lovestruck-schoolgirl expression.”

Kyungsoo elbowed his hyung, but the latter evasively sidestepped it. “Of course I like him—as a friend!” he said in a hushed tone. “And I’m not lovestruck or a schoolgirl!” Except if it’s for Joonmyun-hyung, he secretly amended.

“You can’t see your face unless you’re using a mirror, Kyungsoo-yah,” Luhan insisted. “Trust me. I know that look. Minseok-hyung wears it every day.” He rolled his eyes when thinking about his timid, modest hyung who could barely maintain eye-contact with his boyfriend without blushing and quickly looking away.

“Minseok-hyung always looks like that,” Kyungsoo protested pettily.

Luhan stared at his adorable dongsaeng intently. “Then you should at least notice the way Jongin looks at you,” he muttered defeatedly.

“Hm? Did you say something, Lu-ge?”

“Eh? Oh, nothing! Nothing!” You are too oblivious, Kyungsoo-yah. And maybe a bit dimwitted.

They finally reached the ten-foot high fence, and the two pretty males were surprised to also see another pair bickering on the other side of the barrier.

“Just let me have some for once!”

“No! No way! Kyungsoo-hyung made it for me!”

“Greedy jerk!”

“Whiny brat!”

“Humph. Guess I’ll just ask him.”

“What? Hey! Get back here, Sehun!”

Kyungsoo and Luhan stopped in their tracks when the two rowdy high school students rushed to scale over the fence. The rainbow-haired one landed on the ground first (with a victorious grin) and darted over to Kyungsoo without hesitation.

“Kyungsoo-hyung!”

Kyungsoo thought it was incredibly cute when the lisped boy called out his name and greeted him with an unexpected hug. Jongin should’ve mentioned that Sehun was killer at doing aegyo. Luhan’s doe eyes widened at the closeness the younger boy exhibited. Wasn’t this the kid with the unbreakable poker face...?

Sehun pouted at the stunned owl-eyed male and whined, “Kyungsoo-hyung! Jonginnie is being mean to me! He said I couldn’t meet you! And he won’t share his lunch with me!”

“Yah! Let him go, you tattle-tell!” Jongin yanked his friend away from Kyungsoo who was stifling a laugh behind his hand. Jongin and Sehun glared daggers at each other, Jongin standing protectively in front of Kyungsoo so that Sehun wouldn’t be able to reach him.

They spent a good five minutes arguing over Kyungsoo (more like his cooking) before Luhan cleared his throat pointedly.

“You know, as entertaining as this is,” he said with a suppressed smile, “Kyungsoo and I need to hurry and meet up with our friends. And I’m sure you two have to head back to school, too.”

The blond male and rainbow-haired male shared suspicious glances at each other before grudgingly nodding in truce. They could finish their argument later.

“Here you go, Jongin.” Kyungsoo handed the bento box over. Jongin took it and grinned smugly at Sehun’s frowning face. Being the kindhearted person that he was, Kyungsoo sighed and proposed, “I’ll make you a bento tomorrow if you want, Sehun.”

Jongin groaned in objection while Sehun cheered and threw up his hands. “Yes! Thanks, hyung!”

Jongin grabbed the collar of his friend’s blazer with his free hand and began dragging him away. “That’s it—we’re leaving. Come on, you cheeky bastard.”

Sehun waved at the two pretty males with a playful smirk. “Bye, Kyungsoo-hyung! And...” He looked at Luhan searchingly. The Chinese male was quick to decipher it.

“Luhan. Xi Luhan,” he supplied.

And Sehun promptly said, “Bye, Luhan-hyung!” The two high schoolers raced to climb over the fence, then sprinted off to their school building, Sehun chasing after Jongin.

Luhan crossed his arms, highly amused. “Well...that was something.”

Kyungsoo shook his head, but he was smiling. “Yeah, something.”

Kyungsoo’s phone vibrated in his pocket, and he took it out to read the message.

See you tomorrow, stranger. ;)

Luhan studied the content look plastered across Kyungsoo’s face as the latter stared at his phone screen tenderly, and that made the Chinese male hesitant to ask the second thing that had been bugging him.

Kyungsoo-yah...about your feelings for Joonmyun...

 

 

...

 

 

Kyungsoo bounced on his heels.

Joonmyun-hyung is coming over to my house! he inwardly squealed. I get to help him make a song! I get to sing it for him! The owl-eyed male trilled like a songbird as he tacked on to his train of thoughts, I’ll get praised and complimented from him if I do a good job!

Everything had been prepared this morning for Joonmyun’s visit: Kyungsoo was neatly dressed in his best casual clothes. There were snacks and drinks set aside in the kitchen. The living room had been dusted and vacuumed. Neither his dad nor his hyung would be around since they were at work.

Now all Kyungsoo had to do was wait for Joonmyun so they could head to his house together.

The owl-eyed male was waiting by the campus’s front entrance, partially hidden in the shadows as he leaned against a tree trunk. His phone was held in his hand, and he absently checked for messages as he waited.

Most of the messages were—no surprise—from Jongin, but Kyungsoo perked up when he heard Joonmyun’s soft, silky voice call out his name.

“Kyungsoo-yah!”

The running male stopped in front of Kyungsoo and paused a second to catch his breath. Kyungsoo wondered if his hyung was also anticipating their time together. The mere assumption made him glow in sheer happiness.

Walking side by side, they headed over to Kyungsoo’s house while exchanging pleasant topics to talk about. The phone in Kyungsoo’s pocket rumbled almost every second demandingly, but the owner refused to return the texts because it was rude to do so when engaged in a friendly conversation (especially if it was with someone you really liked).

When they reached his residence, Kyungsoo hastily unlocked the door and humbly ushered Joonmyun inside.

“Joonmyun-hyung, would you like anything to eat or drink before we start on your project?” Kyungsoo asked with a ready-to-please expression as they dropped their school stuff in the living room.

Joonmyun smiled angelically. “Water is fine, Kyungsoo-yah. Thanks for asking.”

While Joonmyun got out his composition book and a pen, Kyungsoo hustled into the kitchen, then quickly returned with two water bottles in his hands. By then, Joonmyun was seated by the upright piano, tapping his pen on his chin thoughtfully. He accepted the refreshment cordially, and the younger male inwardly swooned when he was thanked again.

Now it was time to divert their attention to the project. Kyungsoo listened attentively with rapture as Joonmyun explained what he wanted to do and the main points he wanted to incorporate into his song.

“We’re going to have to wait until we can think up the lyrics,” the older male admitted. “But if you have any ideas while we’re composing, go ahead a jot it down.”

“Yes!” Kyungsoo chimed.

Hours passed by pleasantly, the two college students attentively and completely engrossed in the project. Once in a while, Kyungsoo would disappear into the kitchen to fetch some snacks and more refreshments for the two of them, and the owl-eyed male inwardly squealed in joy when Joonmyun complimented him on his ‘amazing’ cooking skills.

“Wow, we made a lot of progress,” Joonmyun said in awe. He smiled graciously at his project partner. “You’re a big help, Kyungsoo-yah. We’ll be able to start practicing with lyrics soon.”

Kyungsoo flushed in appreciation, wringing his fingers together skittishly as his static of nerves overwhelmed him. “N-no problem! I-I’m really e-enjoying myself!” With you, he really wanted to add.

The older male shuffled his things into his backpack, then slung it over his slender shoulder and stood up where he’d sitting by the piano. “I have to head back home now. My parents have always been strict about dinner attendance.”

“I understand,” Kyungsoo replied sincerely, walking the other to the front door.

“I’ll text you when I’m coming over tomorrow. It’ll probably be in the afternoon, okay?” Joonmyun asked.

Kyungsoo nodded eagerly. “I’ll be here,” he promised.

Joonmyun left after chiming a kind farewell. Closing the door, Kyungsoo turned around and slumped down against it weakly, his heart racing and head woozy.

I just spent the entire afternoon alone with Joonmyun-hyung, swooned the raven-haired male dreamily. I can’t believe it. I must’ve imagined the entire thing up.

Then Kyungsoo sprang up to his feet sprightly, humming a merry, lovestruck tune. Skipping over to the living room, he proceeded to dutifully clear out the empty plates and water bottles. Thoughts of Joonmyun and the wonderful time they spent together completely dominated Kyungsoo’s mind, even when he cooked dinner and sat down with his dad and brother to eat. The two gave Kyungsoo peculiar looks, but neither of them ventured to ask what was up with the dumb, blissful expression he wore. They just left the youngest of the family alone (although Kisoon did snicker knowingly).

 

 

...

 

 

Too bad Kyungsoo forgot about his phone. He didn’t pay it any attention until he was in his room that night. Checking it, he gasped at the number of texts he received from a certain tan-skinned male.

...Sehun won’t stop pestering me, that smug little bastard. >:[

Saaaaaave me. He won’t leave me alone about you. ;A;

Oh, and I think he likes that hyung of yours from today. He keeps mumbling, ‘Luhan-hyung is pretty.’

Kyungsoo-hyung?

Hellooo?

Why. Are. You. Ignoring. Me?

Answer me!

Gah! You’re driving me crazy! X_X

Stupid college. You must be working on something.

...Please text me back already.

Remembering the last time he had neglected to text Jongin back, Kyungsoo hastily typed a reply and sent it. Wouldn’t want that silly boy to heedlessly call the police or something.

Goddammit, Kyungsoo-hyung, stop making me worry.

Why do you worry about me so much? Kyungsoo ventured to ask.

It took longer than usual for Jongin to respond, which was seriously weird because the blond-haired male always reacted lightning fast to Kyungsoo’s texts.

Finally, Jongin sent: You attract danger too easily.

The owl-eyed male puffed his cheeks in mock irritation. Well, excuse me if I was born a klutz and happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, he griped sarcastically.

You should always be with me, the younger male messaged back. That way I can protect you.

Reading that made Kyungsoo soften. Jongin could be so...sweet and playful yet...overprotective.

Kyungsoo had always yearned for someone to be overprotective of him in a loving way. But did he necessarily want Jongin to be the one...? No, it couldn’t be because Kyungsoo considered Jongin as a good friend.

Somehow, I thought that you thought that I was a hassle to take care of, Kyungsoo admitted.

Nonsense. If anything, I don’t spend enough time with you.

A bubbly surge of warmth and appreciation filled Kyungsoo’s chest. Heat traveled up to the surface of his pale skin, painting his cheeks and ears a bright pink. However, after taking a glimpse at his alarm clock, the petite male knew he had to end the conversation soon since it was getting late. Drowsiness clung to the corners of his eyes, enticing him to sleep. Good thing he had showered and changed into his pajamas before messaging Jongin or else he would’ve been a mess in the morning if he’d accidentally passed out.

Tomorrow I’ll bring your and Sehun’s lunches at the school entrance, okay?

Alright. Be safe.

Goodnight, Jongin.

Night, hyung. Dream of me. ;)

Oh, pretending to be cute? That annoying brat, Kyungsoo thought sleepily, fully laying down on his bed and resting his bed on his comfy pillow. Tightly clutched in his hand—an unconscious action—was his cellphone.

It just so happened—not because was told to—that he did dream of a tall, lean, blond-haired male that night.

 

 

 

 


cr: to real owners

(Ah, the way he stares at him.)

(Does anyone feel that this^ will be in the following chappie? /waggles brows/)