Foreboding

Will You Be My Ears?

He could feel a subtle change within himself. His strides had a sense of purpose in it. He was slowly starting to feel alive. Even the students in the hallway noticed it. They all stared at him, murmuring to themselves when they thought he was not looking.  And he knew exactly who to credit for his seemingly more steadfast self. Seoni Lee had somehow managed to persuade him to help her continue collecting 'different' sounds but he still thought she was out to torture him He shook his head at the memory just a few days back.
    
    She had popped out from nowhere, gave him one of her lopsided grin and dragged him away. He protested and tried to shake her grip off him. But, he took care not to shake her hand off too hard because he secretly was pleased to see her again and her smile made him feel warm. 
    
    They ended up at the school's garage and he gawked at her while she dragged out two bicycles. She squatted down and commanded him to turn the pedals. 
    
    He glared at her, incredulous. 
    
    "What?" She asked, "You can't expect me, a girl with a failing ear, to do such a tedious job, right?" Then, she batted her eyelashes at him which made him howl in laughter.
    
    "I can't believe you just did that!" He cried out in laughter, clutching his stomach in pain. 
    
    "What? The manipulating you to do what I want or the batting of my eyelashes?"
    
    "Both. I can't believe you just manipulate me by batting your eyelashes."
    
    "Well, I am very proud of my long eyelashes."
    
    Jiyong snorted and started to turn the pedals.
    
    "Faster! Faster! Tsk for a man, you sure are weak." 
    
    Scowling, he just muttered, "You better be recording this well for someone who's just talking." 
    
    She laughed and kicked off her shoes. Wriggling her toes, she laid against Jiyong's back.
    
    "Aren't you glad that you spent such a wonderful day with me?" 
    
    Too surprised by her sudden skinship, Jiyong could only nod.   
    
    Something hard knocked against him, breaking his reverie. He looked around to find the source, only to find his eyes resting on the puny bespectacled guy on the floor. He was whimpering and apologizing profusely. Jiyong's gaze softened. He inched forward only to find the guy backing away. He sighed inwardly. The guy's reaction was no surprise to Jiyong. Though he was not a bully or was not outright mean to anyone. he had this scary aura around him which made him unapproachable and unpredictable. Jiyong grasped both the shoulders of the poor guy and lifted him up. Then, he picked up his books and handed them over to him. The boy stared at him in awe. He gave the guy a little smile and walked past him. He still had not forgotten what he was looking for. Or more accurately, who he was looking for. 

    Now, where was Seoni, he thought. They were supposed to meet up after school to visit a supposedly famous ramyeon shop that Seoni had found on the internet. But, she was nowhere to be found. Jiyong's eyes swept across the whole hallway. trying to spot the familiar side pony tail and neon orange bag. 
    
    Suddenly, she stood out so clearly from where he stood. The sight of her chattering animatedly brought a smile to Jiyong's face. 
    
    "Seoni! Let's go!" He shouted as loudly as he could. A few heads turned, trying to find the source of sound. But not Seoni's. 
    
    He tried again, eyebrows furrowed. 
    
    "Seoni! Come on! Let's go!" More heads turned, even the ones standing in front of Seoni. Still, Seoni did not turn. 
    
    Jiyong walked forward and just about an arm's length away from her, he shouted again. 
    
    "Seoni! Let's go and have lunch!" 
    
    Everyone stared at him and her. He willed her to turn around so that he would not feel so afraid. Yet, she still continued her conversations. Jiyong's heart sank. 
    
    He finally walked up towards her and grabbed her arm. 
    
    "Seoni, let's go. You said we will have lunch together, right? So come on, let's go. Or else we will be late!" 
    
    Seoni finally turned her attention to him. She grinned and said, "Okay okay. You didn't have to be so loud. It's not like you are standing miles away!"
    
    Seoni looked up and perhaps, his emotions betrayed him, for she asked worriedly, "What's wrong?"
    
    Nah, he thought, she deserved happiness right now. It's not the time for worries. He put on a smile and grabbed her bag. 
    
    "Nothing. It's just that I'm starving!"