Falling Deeper

Not once, but twice
 
 
Tiffany jostled in noisily, slamming the door shut after her. Tilting her head towards the side, she let out a groan at the sight before her. She rolled her eyes, letting out an exasperated sigh as she jumped right into the empty spot beside her best, blonde friend, Jessica who was seated in the position such that knees were tucked against her chest while she stared into the empty space in front of her blankly.

"Gosh, Jessi, I can't believe that you've been staring into that same empty spot since I'd left to get something down at the store. Seriously, who are you daydreaming about this time, Daniel Henney?"
 
The girl stood motionless and unfazed as Tiffany checked Daniel Henney off her mental list.
 
"Jessi, Jessi... what are we supposed to do with you? Jess... Jessica! Are you even listening?" Tiffany let out another groan, grasping Jessica by her shoulders as she shook her a little, forcing her to meet her furrowed gaze. "Let me guess, you're thinking about that new hot-bod male idol from 2pm?"
 
Jessica made a face and scoffed, shrugging her hands away from her shoulders. "God, no. Urgh, leave me alone, Tiffany." she shifted away from the eye-smiling princess who only scooted even closer to her.
 
"Don't tell me you're thinking about... Kwon Yuri?"

The blonde tensed, a faint pink hue rushing up to her cheeks as the brunette flashed a cheeky grin, dipping an accusatory finger into her cheek. "I'm right, am I?"

She slapped her finger away, turning a brighter shade of red as she inched away from her best friend, pressing her knees closer to her chest while she buried her face in it. Upon the sight of this, Tiffany shifted closer, letting out a girly squeal as she clapped her hands together in excitement.
 
"I was right! Gosh, Jessi, what had Kwon Yuri done to you exactly? Four times and you're acting like a total love-sick school girl. Gees, I'd never ever thought you would swing for the other team, Jess."

"I don't!"
 
She cocked her head up from her knees as she threw her hands up in the air in frustration. Tiffany merely raised a brow, wearing a rather bemused expression which earned herself what seemed to be caught in the middle of a groan and a whine.
 
"Fine. Maybe I do... Urgh, I don't know. I-I feel so confuse..." Jessica ran her fingers fervently through her hair, ruffling them up together as she let out a roar of frustration, burying her face into her hands.

Trailing her hands up and down her back, in the manner she always did to soothe her best friend's nerves whenever she was on edge, Tiffany let a doleful smile tugged at her lips. "What's wrong, Jessi?"
 
"I just..." Jessica stole a peek from between her fingers, letting out a perplexed sigh. "I've been having these weird feelings which I don't really understand, Tiff', and it's driving me insane."

"What, what? Tell me what's troubling you; we'll solve this together, 'kay?"

Her shoulders quivered and Jessica leaned further into her touch, seeking solace in it as Tiffany held her tighter.
 
Inwardly, Tiffany sighed.
 
This was the real Jessica.

Being one of her closest friend since Elementary School, she knew very well that behind the icy, cold and strong exterior which her best friend possessed, was a fragile and vulnerable girl. When one might think that Jessica was a fierce as a tiger, icier than an ice popsicle, Tiffany would think that Jessica was as harmless as a fluffy little bunny rabbit.

They were polar opposites, that she knew. She was loud, energetic and out-going. Jessica was quiet, reserved and would rather spend her day indoors with a book than outdoors partying. But despite their vast differences, they knew each other well like the back of their hands.
 
"It's like... whenever I see her, my heart speeds up, I feel excited and happy. When she smiles, I get these churns in the pit of my stomach, like what you'd normally call as having 'the butterflies'. And when she isn't there, I don't know... Life feels like black and white, it feels dull and boring. Aish... I really don't know what to think anymore, Tiff'..."

Tiffany eyes lit up upon that, slapping the blonde hard on her back, grinning brightly. "Yah, Jessi, It means you like her, you dummy!"
 
Jessica raised her head up from her hands and ran her fingers through her golden locks in the manner she did whenever she was anxious or confused.
 
"That's the point, Tiffany. I don't know if what I'm feeling is some obsession that fans normally have for their idols or a real infatuation... Really... I... Tell me what I'm supposed to do, Tiff'." She reached forward, enveloping her arms around the blonde, combing her fingers through her ale-ginger locks as she let out a soft sigh. "If... If it's just an obsession, it will fade right...?"
 
"Jessi...  For now, stop thinking, okay?" she consoled, rocking her now as she hummed a soft tune under her breath. "Listen to your heart and follow what it tells you to do. If it brings you to her, then go to her. If it tells you to let her go... then free yourself." She sniffled slightly. "I've seen you heart-broken a few times too many. I really wish for you to be happy, Jess; even if it's with a woman. As long as he or she brings you happiness, I'm good."

As if on cue, there was a light ring that resonated through the room.
 
Giving her an encouraging pat, she slackened her grip around Jessica, smiling broadly as her eyes fell upon her cell phone that was lighting up and vibrating incessantly on the table top. "Who knows, that might be the Kwon Yuri you've been thinking of for the whole of today."

Blushing slightly, the blonde reached out to grab her cell phone, eyes widening as she registered the caller i.d that was flashing up on the screen. Gulping, she pressed the phone against her ear answering the call with a meek 'hello'.
 
At the sight of this, Tiffany let out an amused giggle but was silenced by a nudge against her ribs and a dangerous glare shot at her.

But really.
 
If Kwon Yuri was able to bring Jessica happiness.
 
Even though she was girl, she would not object.
 
 
 
---
 
 


Jessica let a quivering breath out, nervously chewing on her lips. She could hear her heart pounding against the walls of her ears, blocking out everything in the room. For a second, she forgot Tiffany. Forgot about the dilemma she was in. All that mattered was the phone and the caller behind it.
 
It's now or never.
 
"Hello?" she answered smoothly into the mouth piece. There was a bustle of activities over the line. Loud chattering in Korean, too fast for her to comprehend, and giggles and laughter that chimed in now and then. She gulped.



"Ah, um, Yuri here."

Her heart skipped a beat or two at the sound of her voice that rung out even more clearly than ever.
 
'Oh my god, this is so adorable!'

And out of the barrage of Korean over the line, there was a sudden heavily American-accented English...?
 
Stephanie.

Yuri coughed into the mouth piece as she let out an awkward chuckle. "Um, excuse me for a second..."

'Yah, Hwang Stephanie! Shut up.'

It was that same voice but in Korean this time.

'Chill, Yuri-yah. It's not like you're going to whisper sweet noth— oomph!'
 
In the distance, Jessica could hear shouting and boisterous laughter; movements like loud clambering footsteps were heard. There was a loud thud the silence, followed by a loud sigh into the mouth piece. "Ah, that was Stephanie. I'm sorry for her loudness."
 
"It's okay, my roommate is just as loud as her. I'm used to it."

A soft chuckle that sounded slightly raspy and that made her frown.

"Did you catch yourself a cold after that day?"
 
 
"Ah, no... Just... tired from my schedule,"

 
 Jessica nodded in response but caught herself when she realized that the idol wouldn't be able to see her reaction and was probably wondering why she had kept her silence out of the blues. "Oh, I see,"
 
"Um, truthfully... I called to apologize for rushing off so abruptly yesterday."
 
She fought back a gasp that was rising up from , gulping. "Not at all, I'm sure you've got more important things to tend to,"
 
"No, please don't get me wrong. I, uh... really enjoyed myself yesterday, chatting with you and, um, learning and getting a better grasp of English..."
 
Jessica felt a smile tug at her lips at the thought of a flustered-looking Yuri, embarrassed and bashful, which was so unlike her. Maybe she even had a faint blush on her cheeks with that silly, sheepish grin usually seen on variety shows. Her heart fluttered.

Yuri soughed in deeply as if bracing herself for something and Jessica perked up her ears attentively. "And um, thanks a lot for the muffler..."
 
"You're welcome." Jessica bit back a grin, a sense of euphoria surging through her veins as she lunged for the nearest cushion on the couch, cuddling it tightly in her arms.
 
There were some shifty movements from the other line as a piece of silence settled in between the two of them. An awkward cough and a chuckle. She was hesitating over something again and it made her uncomfortable for some reason. Just when she was about to open to inquire of the idol's sudden discomfort, she had cut her off.

"Say... do you want to drop by my dorm tomorrow?"
 
She froze, breath hitching. For a second there her heart stop beating and words began to fail her. Lips parted, mouth agape, she struggled to string a comprehensive sentence to no avail. She was only greeted with the unbearable silence.
 
Sensing the sudden quietude over the other line, the idol had probably taken her silence for averseness and began babbling on nervously, trying to cover up her own uneasiness.
 
 
"Um... to get your muffler, I mean. I've got filming for 'Running Man' for the next couple of days and I won't be able to drop by any time soon... If you're uncomfortable with this, I completely understand—"
 
 
"What time?" Jessica blurted out, cutting her off.
 

Silence again.

 
She could hear Yuri's quivering breaths resonating through the earpiece and had nearly closed her eyes, indulging in the stillness and peacefulness of everything else.
 
"Um, sorry?" She straightened herself up mentally, snapping out of her reverie.
 
"What time should I drop by your dorm?"
 

There was a soft gasp, followed closely by a sigh of relief. It was subtle, almost imperceptible but somehow, she'd managed to catch it over the earpiece and it strung a deep chord deep within her.
 
"Ah, how about ten in the morning? I'm leaving for filming at one and I'm sure the store opens at around noon... if my memory is accurate."
 
"Yeah, sure. I'll just come by at around ten tomorrow." Jessica couldn't help but fight back the urge to let out a girly squeal. She knew what time the store open. She knew. At this point of time, there was probably this silly-looking grin plastered across her face as she hugged her phone close to her ear, but she didn't care anymore. It didn't matter.
 
"Great, I'll text you the address..." Yuri paused, heaving as she pulled away from the mouth piece briefly. There was a torrent of coughing, wheezing and almost instantly, her smile faded as she pursed her lips. Yuri cleared before speaking into the mouth-piece once more, voice raspy and scratchy. "Sorry, needed a glass of water there..." Jessica knew she was lying and it caused a sharp pang in her heart. "Then I guess, I'll see you tomorrow—"
 
"Hey, rest well and take good care of your health, okay? You... haven't been sounding too good lately."
 
There was a sudden sharp intake of air; a soft gasp, as if someone had finally discovered her ruse.
 
"It's okay, I'm fine, really. Just tired but thanks for the concern. Take care of yourself too. Then... uh, goodnight."
 
Jessica frowned, voice dropping into a mere whisper. "Yeah... goodnight."
 
And the line went dead.

She lowered the phone down as she hung her head low; that deep husky voice was still lingering in her head. Something was off. Something just didn't sound right.

"What's wrong, Jessi?"

Jessica lurched her head back so fast that she'd thought she might have gotten whiplash. She had totally forgotten the fact that Tiffany had been sitting right at the end of the couch, watching her and listening in to her one-sided conversation with Kwon Yuri.

"Missing her already, are you?" poked Tiffany as a faint blush wound its way up to her cheeks while she tried swiping her fingers away from her to avail.

"Shut up, Tiff'. It's just that... it's just..." she faltered, catching Tiffany's eye as she instantly stopped with the tease, scooting closer. "I'm worried."

"Whatever for?"

"I don't know, something is just wrong." Tiffany pulled her close again, burying her chin into her hair.

"Whatever it is, it's going to be fine. Go to sleep and try not to think too much about this, okay?" Nodding, into the crook of her neck, Tiffany patted her on the back, retracting herself away. "And make sure you don't worry too much of your date with Yuri tomorrow. Can't have you having dark eye rings and eye bags now, can we?"

Gently, Jessica nudged her away, rolling her eyes before getting up onto her feet. "Urgh, cut me some slack. Goodnight." With that, she stomped towards her room huffily, trying to fight back the heat that was rushing up to her cheeks.

Tiffany shot her one last glance over her shoulders before she slammed the door shut behind her, smiling knowingly to herself.

"'Night, Jess'..."
 
 


 
---
 



 
The next day, Jessica had found herself lingering by the borders of the nation's girl group dormitory a half hour earlier than the agreed time, fingers feeling about everything that was on her, from the hem of her jacket to the ends of her blonde hair which she kept fiddling with. The thought of seeing that smile, staring into those sincere dark brown eyes and listening to the sound of her velvety husky voice sent her heart aflutter and her stomach doing flips.

But at the thought of meeting the other seven members of Girls' Generation... Probably all just as beautiful, just as eye-blinding and... Probably just as 'untouchable' as her... Not to mention, that she was quite a fan of the group at the same time, she was afraid that might just faint or die in their very godly presence.

And that certainly did not help in making her feel any better. It only made her jittery, more on edge which probably resulted in her lack of sleep last night as exemplified by the dark eye rings and eye bags beneath her eyes which she'd tried so hard to cover up with make up; as all she could thought in bed of was her tanned face smiling down on her along with the other seven crowding around her, equally bright and angelic. But it was mostly her. Yes, just her.

Pacing about in the snow nervously, she could feel the eyes the security guard boring into the base of her skull and that served to creep her out a little.

She halted in her steps, letting out a quivering breath into the wintry air and shivered, allowing the anxiety and inquietude to course through her veins, seeping in to her entire being. She listened closely to the soft whistling of the wind, holding herself tightly from the cold it'd brought along with it.
 
Should she just enter the building and maybe wait by the stairs or should she just wait out outside instead?
 
Seriously, Jessica? That creepy old, balding security dude have been eyeing you for the past few minutes and you aren't entirely sure if he's staring at you with suspicion or if he's just plain checking you out from behind. Well, obviously, you'd rather freeze your out in the cold and get them ogled at by that security guard.
 
She let out an annoyed huff, stealing a quick glance at her watch and gulped.
 
It was nine forty-five a.m.
 
She whipped her head up at the security guard at the corner and glared, letting out a scoff as the poor old man visibly flinched.

She should get in. Maybe escaping from the cold would help calm her nerves and allow her to think better. With that, she stiffly made her way towards the glass door of the entrance to the building, fingers trembling constantly as it hovered above the number pad. Steadying her shaky hands while she mentally calmed herself down, she swallowed deeply as she willed herself to move her fingers across the number pad to key in the pass code that would grant her the entry to the building.
 
She squeezed her eyes shut. She could feel her heart throbbing wildly against her chest, its thumps resonating through the walls of her ears.
 
Jessica, you need to calm down and just... key in the damned pass code.
 
She held her finger there as it shook and wobbled above the first button.
 
She gritted her teeth, muttering huffily to herself. "You're going to be late, Jessi..." And as if that was what all her mind had needed to hear, her fingers ran across the number pad before she could even blink. The glass door slid open and she let out a relieved sigh, ambling past it.
 
Getting onto the elevator was a breeze and all she had to do in the short ten seconds of silence as the elevator ascended up to her designated floor was to prepare herself or more like her racing heart from having a heart attack.

A soft ring filled the small space of the elevator and she jumped sharply, feeling ever so uneasy and anxious at what she would be about to face in only a matter of minutes. Emerging from the elevator, she could feel her knees going soft as they wobbled while she gingerly made her way through the silent hallway.

For a second, all she could hear was the clicking of her heels against the ground, her vision tunneling down onto the door at the end of the seemingly long hallway. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as her body radiated a large amount of heat which seemed uncanny with the harshness of the cold weather outside.
 
Her finger wavered over the door bell and the idea of turning back and running back to the comfort of her home crossed her mind.
 
Heaving, she garnered all the courage that was left in her and dipped her finger in.

There was a fluster of footsteps. Loud squeals and excited hushed up whispers. And finally the door swung open as Jessica held her breath.
 
"Hello, you must be Jessica!"
 
She blinked. Once. Twice. Heart-stopping eye smile, fair skin and dark hair. And before she could even register what was going on, a couple of other figure scrambled in, all exuding beauty and charm, shoving the girl by the door aside.
 
"Whoa... pretty..."
 
Jessica flushed, giving a small bow. "Um, hello..." It was only when she raised her head up that she'd managed to catch a glimpse of a familiar tanned skin among the crowd of other faces and it calmed her down a little through the hullabaloo she had subconsciously created.
 
"Ah, Jessica!" The tanned idol nudged her way towards her whilst shooting glares at her other seven members, who grunted and sulked in protest, in the process. As she finally managed to push her way through the crowd she turned towards her.
 
She grinned down at her and she'd inwardly thought that, that was probably the brightest smile in the whole room.
 
"You're early."
 
 


---
 




And the next thing she knew after being introduced to every single one of six girls, she was seated in the nationwide girl's group living room and across her was the infamous girl group themselves , with all seven (or six to be more specific) of them eyeing her with a curious interest. She fidgeted under their gaze, searching to meet the eyes of a certain tanned idol.
 
"So... we've heard from Yuri-yah, that you're from the US." asked Stephanie, their only English-speaking member, with a broad, inviting smile; and for some certain reason it felt as though she had used a large amount of effort to smoothen her voice as she tried to contain her excitement.
 
Jessica steadied her gaze at her fellow Korean-American and prayed inwardly to herself that she didn't look too tense or anything for that matter. In person, she'd found Stephanie to be an exact look alike of Tiffany herself. With the strangest thing was that their names even sounded similar to a certain extent. If she'd known any better she would have thought that the two of them were twins or clones of themselves even.
 
"Um yeah, I was from California."

"Ooh, I'm from L.A. Grew up down by the Diamond Bar, y'know? Oh gosh, we should totally trade numbers! I mean, finally. Another Korean-American whom I can finally be able to relate to." she gushed, instantly switching to English. Even the way she spoke in English sounded strangely like Tiffany, Jessica thought idly. There was a disgruntled cough off from the side as
 
Stephanie waved it off with what seemed like a knowing smile. "Anyway, we've heard a lot about you from our Yuri-yah. Lately, all she'd ever talk about is you. I guess, at least now we know why she has been visiting the bookstore by the street so frequently. Right, Yuri-yah?"
 
"What are you talking about, Fany-ah? Jessica, don't listen to her, she's just rambling nonsense."
 
Jessica exchanged glances between the current two opposing parties— the queen of eye-smiles and the exotic tanned beauty— who appeared to be having a non-verbal conversation with one another. From the way Stephanie's eyes glinted with a hint of mischief and how Yuri had suddenly turned all flustered and defensive... she begged to differ that Stephanie was merely sprouting nonsense. But nonetheless, Jessica kept silent, smiling inwardly to herself.
 
A clearing of throat was heard and it was all that was needed to garner everyone's attention. Everyone turned towards the small, kid-size leader who suddenly seemed embarrassed, almost bashful her own actions. "Um, anyway, Jessica-ssi, do you have a Korean name?"
 
"It's Sooyeon. Jung Sooyeon." And everyone began nodding, mouthing her name as they allowed it to roll of their tongue.
 
"Ah... it's a pretty name. It suits you well." The kid-leader of the group nodded approvingly with a ghost of a smile hinting at her lips.
 
Jessica couldn't help but blush at compliment of her own Korean name which she'd usually thought as old-fashion, boring and all the more, mundane. "Thank you."
 
"Oh? Does Yuri want to say something?" called out a certain tall, lankier dark-skinned girl— Sooyoung— as everyone directed their gaze towards the Black Pearl of the group who was blushing right to the roots of her hair. Her eyes darted about, falling onto everything except for the petite blonde who was sitting in the middle of the living room as she ran a flustered finger through her hair.
 
"Ahh... J-Jessica, are you thirsty? Let me get you a drink, 'kay?"
 
"Yah, Yuri-yah, I'm thirsty too!"
 
"Yeah, me too!"
 
"Ah, why don't you get everyone a drink while you at it, Yuri-yah?"
 
"I want tea!"
 
"Urgh, whatever!" shouted The Black Pearl over her shoulder as she scurried off to the kitchen; not before throwing an annoyed scowl while she shot daggers at her remaining group members who were biting at their lips, looking back and forth between one another as they held down their giggles and laughter at some sort of an inside joke.
 
hat did she say?" asked Hyoyeon whose lips were quivering, stretching into a wide silly grin.
 
"She thanked Jessica's mother for choosing such a beautiful name for her just as beautiful daughter."

Jessica flushed bright red upon that as she pursed her lips in embarrassment at how the seven members of Girls' Generation cooed and 'ahhed' at her with knowing smiles and nods. She fidgeted slightly under their patronizing gaze as she hung her head low to avoid anymore embarrassment.
 
Stephanie let out a sigh, groaning as she palmed herself against her forehead. "Urgh, but really, it's been such a long time since I'd ever seen Yuri-yah obsessing over someone. The last time this happened it was with Won Bin, but that was so yesterday." And she flicked her wrist swiftly as she pushed that thought away with a lazy eye roll but it wasn't long till her eyes landed on the blonde again.
 
Stephanie beamed, "Now putting that aside, do you have any idea how much she'd been talking about you lately? I thought I would have gone insane with her ramblings but I think Yoona got it worse being her roommate and all."

"That's right!" the face of the group gave a thunderous clap of admission. "Ever since she'd met you, it'd been... Jessica this, Jessica that... And did you two had chawanmushi the other day or something? After Yuri-unnie came back from the store, she has been having this strange craving for chawanmushi."
 
"Yes, I know! She even waked me up at two in the morning to make her steamed egg." added the short, child-like leader of the group who suddenly had this fired-up look that had replaced her previous, calm and collected visage.

Jessica peeked up at them bashfully, playing with her fingers."Um... I'm sorry...?"

"Aww... it's okay, Jessi. I can call you that right?" but before she could even open , the smiling brunette immediately cut her off as she carried on further without interruptions, fanning her off lightly. "Ah, but anyway, our Yuri have been chirpier and livelier after meeting you and we really have to thank you for that."

The blonde nodded, trying to keep the flutters in her stomach in bay. Right now she was feeling an odd sense of satisfaction mixed with anxiety and it was nearly driving her insane under the scrutiny of the other seven members of Girls' Generation. Silently, she did an inward prayer that this whole entire ordeal would end. Quickly. What was she here again for? Oh right, her muffler and maybe to have a glimpse of how Yuri's like at her dorm.
 

"Oh and one more thing."
 
It was then for the first time, Jessica realized that the eye-smiling queen was not really smiling anymore with her expression hardening considerably as her eyes turned darker with severity.
 
"I'm not sure if Yuri told you about this, but I'm betting all my money that she didn't since she'd probably didn't want you to worry and stuff... But anyway, for the past few days she'd actually caught a really bad cold and was advised to rest in bed for at least a week but she still insisted on going down to see you. Oh wait, I mean, 'to get herself some English guide-books'." She grinned toothily at her and it's probably right then, she couldn't even suppress the familiar burning red hue from blossoming on her cheeks.
 
She was saturated with happiness.

That, she can't deny.

Yuri actually came down just to see her and that simple thought was more than enough to induce her with such mirth and euphoria that she nearly felt like she was going to burst into a giddy little grin of her own.
 
"Hey, Jessica. Do you want to know a way to make Yuri happy?" She snapped her head up at the tallest of the group. Somehow that had subconsciously caught her attention as she perked her ears up intently. Sooyoung smiled, easing herself up to her, shrugging nonchalantly. "She's going to be away for a few days for filming so it'll be great if you could cheer her up a little, y'know?"
 
The images began to swirl. Flashes of Yuri popped in and out of her mind. She'd seen her smile, laugh and chuckle. The sparkle in her eyes glittering down at her like beautiful stars in the dark, midnight sky as her heart swooned and the adrenaline pumped through her veins.

But she had also seen her tired, worn out and extremely exhausted the other day when she had emanated that sickly, pale glow. Her heart twinge as she glanced up to meet Sooyoung's gaze. "Okay..."
 
And the girl's grin widened, stretching across her cheeks as her pearly whites reveled against her lips. The tanned girl leaned in towards her as the remaining other members watched on with curiosity. Sooyoung cupped her hands around her ear, whispering ever so lightly.
 
"Alright, all you've got to do is..."
 
 


 
---
 
 



"Thanks for visiting, Jessica-ssi."
 
"Aww, do drop by soon kay', Jessi?"
 
"Yeah or our ears will bleed from puppyYul's whines for her owner to return."

"Yah, Choi Sooyoung!"
 
"I'm just kidding," The taller girl with the lighter dark skin shot Jessica a small wink whilst pushing the whining, head of dark hair (Yuri) out of her line of vision. She flashed a cheeky grin at her. ”and don't forget what I'd said earlier, Jessica." All Jessica gave in return was a small blush and a subtle nod of her head which didn't go unnoticed by a certain girl with the bronze-skin and dark luscious hair.

The Black Pearl of the group instantly ceased her ruckus, glancing between the fairer girl with the blonde locks and her fellow group mate who was probably one of the bigger eater amongst the eight of them. Noting the light pink hue coloring the cheeks of the blonde, she frowned.

"I'll be going now, take care and goodbye everyone." Jessica bowed, slipping into her shoes; she looked over her shoulder and gave the eight members of the girl group a final wave and a final glance. With a small smile, she took her leave from their humble little dormitory.

And as soon as she heard the click of door behind her, she inhaled deeply, mentally preparing herself as she looked on forward at the long hallway before her. She proceeded on gingerly.

Five steps.
 
One.
 
Two.

Three.

Four...

Fi—

The door of their dormitory flung open and before long, there was a barrage of footsteps headed towards her. She whirled around expectantly, catching the sight of the idol with the smooth bronze-skin and finely chiseled features, fumbling for her footsteps in a frenzy rush towards her. The idol grinned, catching up with her. "Jessica!"

"Yuri?" She hoped she sounded a tad surprised at her sudden appearance as the idol fell into a slow walking pace beside her.
 
"What are you doing out here?"

"I want to walk you to the bookstore."

Her heart skipped a beat and it took almost all of her willpower to not come to an abrupt halt in her steps. Despite the fact that all that the idol had said and done so far was already predicted by a certain someone, she still couldn't help but feel the usual tug of her lips into a smile and the loud drumming of her heart. She liked it. The way she'd said she wanted to accompany her down to the bookstore. It felt sincere. Honest. Almost like it was straight from her heart.

So she allowed a smile to claim her lips.
 
"Okay."
 
And from then, she surged on forward into the elevator with a small bounce in her steps. Suddenly, she felt lighter, more carefree as compared to the first time she'd entered this small, enclosed elevator. She glanced off towards her side and pursed her lips, realizing for the first time how shifty and edgy the idol was, beside her. Even though she'd merely known her for a few days, she knew that look of hers.

"What's wrong?"

The idol flickered a glance at her and there was that particular moment when her lips perked up into a small pout; which she found cute and adorable as she resisted the urge to lean in to pinch those full cheeks of hers.

"Wha... What did Sooyoung say to you when I wasn't around?" the idol mumbled and in that instance Jessica was reminded of a small, innocent child who had been left out of a game in the playground.

Was she... jealous?

And that thought sent her smiling away like a fool.

"It's a secret." She flashed the tanner girl one of her very rare grins, winking as she brought a slender finger up to her lips before whisking herself away breezily, leaving the tanned idol stunned for a second or two.

"S-secret? Can't you tell me?" The idol called after her as she jogged towards her, flashing her what seemed to be her puppy eyes that melted her soul.  "Tell me, please? Pretty please, Sica-yah?"

Her heart fluttered as she quirked an eyebrow at the idol. "Sica?"

"Um... you don't like it?" The idol asked meekly, peeking through her lashes as Jessica fought down the urge to swoon like a bat- crazy fan girl. Instead, she found herself walking forth, hanging her head low as she tried her best to hide the blush which was creeping up her neck. "I'm so sorry if I'd offended you, Jessica. I'll... make sure I won't call you—"

"I like it!" she cut her off, snapping her head up at her despite how red in the face she probably was. She dug her chin into her finally acquired muffler around her neck sheepishly. "I don't mind if you call me that..."
 
The idol grinned broadly down at her, "In that case, can you please, please, please tell me what Sooyoung told you, Sica-yah?"
 
She ceased in her steps as the shadow of the bookstore loomed over her. Heaving in a deep breath, she braced herself inwardly for what was about to come in mere seconds. She could feel herself trembling inwardly, knees turning jelly and her heart... it was racing at a speed of a jet plane. She whirled towards the tanned idol, staring up into those dark brown eyes.
 
"You really want to know what she told me?"
 
"Yes of course, I'm dy—"
 
Standing on tip-toes, she brushed her lips against the idol's left cheek, efficiently cutting the idol off.
 

 
"Alright, all you've got to do is..."

She could feel the warm breath of Sooyoung grazing the shell of her ear.
 
 
"Kiss her."

 
"Wh-what?" She lunged away from Sooyoung as if scalded by fire, eyes widening in apparent shock.

 
The shikshin of the group merely widened her grin. "I said, you kiss her..." And she gingerly pressed her fingers against her cheek. "Like this. I would have showed you a perfect example on how to do it, but I'm afraid Yuri wouldn't appreciate my lips on you, y'know?"
 
 
All she could was blink up at the other seven idols who were staring down upon her with toothy grins that seemed to say otherwise.

"I'm not sure if you realize this, Jessi, but Yuri-yah... she likes you. A lot."
 

Jessica gulped, suddenly feeling going dry. "Wh-what are you talking about?"

 
"You really don't have to hide it. 'Cause we know that you like her too." And there was something about that final smile of theirs, something... doleful. Bittersweet.
 


And before she could even recoil in embarrassment for her own actions, she ceased the opportunity of lugging her muffler off, winding it around the frozen idol and adjusting properly around her bare neck. "You liar. You told me you were tired from your schedule, but you were actually sick, weren't you?" she blabbered on further, trying to make it up for raging embarrassment which was burning her ears and neck as she busied herself by tugging at her muffler around the idol's neck. "I think you'll need this more than I do, take it with you. Make sure it keeps you warm, 'kay?"
 
With that, she aimed to make a quick escape, seeking refuge in the safety of her workplace— the bookstore. However, just as she was about to take her leave, slender fingers latched itself upon her own, intertwining. Her breath hitched into place as she forced herself to face the idol before her.

"Um..." the idol began and she caught the sight of the faint shade of pink hinting at her tanned cheeks. Yuri averted her eyes away from her as she scratched the side of her cheek sheepishly. "Thank you... Sica-yah."
 
She smiled up at her and she poured every ounce of her feelings into it, "Be safe."
 
"Then, um, I'll be going now. I'll, ah... drop by soon." The idol took a few retreating steps away albeit slightly reluctant to leave. But eventually, with a final longing glance, she left. And she watched her shadows fade around the corner down the street before returning in doors to the store.

As soon as she'd closed the door after her, her fingers instinctively went up to her lips, smiling.

I guess this time... I'll listen to you Tiff'. 
 
I'll follow my heart.


---