03

A Ride Down Memory Lane

The emcee baton is then handed to Sungjong. “It’s probably because you guys just went public not long ago – the response was overwhelming! We’ll randomly pick from the pool of questions here…” Sungjong says as he fumbles around with the laptop.

Sungjong clears his throat before reading the first question.

“Do you guys have any special habits as a couple, specific places you go to, or specific things you do? Ah, it’s a good question.”

“Special habits…” Suzy echoes. She touches her earlobe as she ponders. “Other than going to the Han River and phototaking which are pretty obvious… Oh, there is!”

“What is it?” Myungsoo, who was also thinking hard, sits up straight and looks at her with rounded eyes.

A mild laughter escapes from Suzy’s lips before she continues, “It might sound really funny to you guys, but when I want something from him, I threaten him with sashimi.”

“Ah, because hyung hates raw food! What do you say?”

“I would make him eat sashimi if he fails to comply. Normal people would gladly do so, but he really hates it!”

“Are you saying I’m not normal?” Myungsoo glares at Suzy, a slight glint in his eyes, “I just prefer cooked food, that’s all. And you like sashimi, anyway.”

“I get it,” Woohyun concludes, “He’s doing it on purpose so he can go on sashimi dates with you.”

“Woohyun, seriously…” Myungsoo rolls his eyes and shakes his head helplessly. “It was good training though, because I don’t dislike raw food that much anymore.”

“Oh, and he likes playing with my hair!” Suzy exclaims in afterthought, and then giggles embarrassedly.

“Does he make you curl it wavy all the time?” Woohyun responds with a question.

“What is this?” Myungsoo raises his voice, “You all are making me sound so strange!”

“You are strange,” Woohyun retorts immediately, causing Myungsoo to turn and look right at him with narrowed eyes. Woohyun laughs nervously and continues, “I mean, we’re all strange in our own ways. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Myungsoo’s lips curve into a gentle smile as he says, “That’s right. Suzy’s strange too, if not we wouldn’t match.” He finishes his statement with a tiny smirk.

The camera pans back to Sungjong, who reads out the second question.

“Are you both each other’s first love?”

The four of them exchange uneasy glances upon the revealing of the question.

Suzy drifts off into the time when she and Myungsoo had a conversation on the same topic.

 

They were at N Seoul Tower on Namsan, clearing off one of the things on the to-do list that both of them wanted to do with their lovers. The weather was chilly and they were both clad in thick woollen jackets. Nonetheless, the view from above was breathtaking- hues of orange and violet filled the sky and a small fiery sphere that was the sun peaked out from behind the mountains. This was matched well with the shadows of tree branches and the many love locks in the foreground. They had picked an off-peak period, so there wasn’t really a crowd, and the air at the top was extraordinarily fresh as well. Standing there at that moment, both of them felt free.

After snapping a few quick pictures with the DSLR camera he brought along, Myungsoo reached into his pocket and pulled out a small lock.

“Suji-ya, are you done?” he called as he tried to figure how the lock works. “Yes, coming!” Suzy shouted from a distance where she was also taking pictures. She hurriedly kept her own camera in the black pouch hanging securely from her neck, and ran to sit beside Myungsoo on a unique bench called the ‘heart chair’. It was tilted in a way such that couples had to sit close together.

“This is so exciting!” Suzy squealed with a subtle grin. Her cheeks had a rosy tint because of the cold.

“What should we write?” Myungsoo asked in a gentle voice, turning to look at Suzy.

“We cannot be too obvious…” Suzy started as she thought hard, “What about… ‘Soo x Suj’? Is it obvious?”

“It would seem obvious to me, of course,” Myungsoo chuckled, and then suggested, “Let’s just write ‘SooSu’.”

“What’s ‘SooSu’?” Suzy exclaimed with a chortle and hit Myungsoo lightly on the back.

“Myungsoo and Suji!” Myungsoo exclaimed, a little too agitatedly.

“Shhh!” Suzy sounded as she placed a finger to her lips and then whispered, “What if someone hears you?” Myungsoo narrowed his lips and glanced from left to right, looking like a kid who was caught doing something wrong.

“Fine, write that. I’ll decorate it later,” Suzy said, passing the markers on her hand over to Myungsoo.

As Myungsoo delicately wrote the letters and added some graphics, he said, “Is it your first time doing this? It is, for me.”

“Yes, it’s my first too. It’s fun,” Suzy replied, swinging her legs back and forth. Suddenly, she stopped swinging and turned to face Myungsoo, who was still carefully drawing a chibi version of them.

“Truthfully… You’re my first love,” Suzy said bashfully, and then bit her lips thereafter.

“The nation’s first love… hasn’t had her first love?” Myungsoo blurted out.

“Amusing, isn’t it?”

“No, that’s fine – you’re still young, after all. It’s not really a good thing to give your heart to others easily, either.”

“But… I’m not your first love right?”

“You are,” he swiftly corrected.

“But –” Suzy was about to rebut when Myungsoo cut in, saying in a sincere tone, “Never mind what you heard from the media. Just know that you’re the first girl I truly loved – as a woman.”

Suzy felt a warm sensation wash over her whole face as she froze. Her whole face had turned red, and this time, it wasn’t because of the cold.

“You’re reading too much shoujo manga!” Suzy guffawed, breaking the serious atmosphere in the air.

Myungsoo simply laughed along with her. That was perhaps true, but he meant every word he said.

“You’re taking up almost all the space on the lock!” Suzy began to complain, looking at Myungsoo’s decorations, “I said I wanted to decorate!”

“I left some space here, and here too, for you,” Myungsoo retorted, pointing out the empty spaces.

Suzy took the lock from Myungsoo and smiled at his chibi drawing. “This is pretty cute so I’ll forgive you,” Suzy said as she removed the marker cap and prepared to add her own decorations.

Myungsoo chuckled in response. He smiled softly at Suzy’s focused look and continued looking intently at her until she was done.

 

“You can choose to skip the question if it’s too private…” Woohyun offers, understanding the two celebrities’ concerns regarding their love life history. Woohyun’s voice knocks Suzy back into reality.

“No, it’s okay,” Myungsoo promptly replies, “It doesn’t matter if she is my first, because I’m pretty sure she’ll be the last.”

“Oh…” Woohyun coos, “A real romantic indeed.” Sungjong laughs uncontrollably but silently by the side, his shoulders shaking as he does so.

“You can’t take these words back anymore,” Woohyun continues in a precautionary tone, “The whole nation has heard and will be holding you accountable for it. Tell us now if you want to retract it and maybe the production team can still edit it out.”

Myungsoo bites his bottom lip and smiles meekly as he looks at Woohyun, and then Suzy, and back again.

“I promised myself not to be a coward. If I said it, I said it,” Myungsoo confidently declares.

Suzy, on the other hand, appears to be surprised by his commitment.

“It’s to that extent already?” She blurts out, her big bright eyes turning to him.

“It isn’t for you?” Myungsoo returns in a pretense disappointed tone, coupled with a disbelieving expression.

“Oh, we have a situation here,” Woohyun says, and Sungjong follows, “Wait a moment, are we about to witness the “Ideal High-school Romance” couple quarreling?”

Suzy chuckles a little and shakes her head, looking slightly flustered.

“No, I’m really disappointed now,” Myungsoo continues with the act, walking over to the side and pretending to cry with his head against the wall.

“Suzy-ah, do something!” Sungjong exclaims, causing Suzy to laugh even harder.

“It isn’t like that!” Suzy begins in defense, still grinning widely, “I just haven’t thought that far yet, honestly. I cherish every moment we have now.”

“Ah, yes…” The emcees give nods of approval upon hearing Suzy’s explanation, but Myungsoo remains unmoved in the same position, hiding a growing smile.

“Yah, Kim Myungsoo! Didn’t you hear me? You can stop crying now!” Suzy boldly shouts.

“Don’t you call him ‘oppa’?” Woohyun asks, slightly amused, as Myungsoo walks back to the center of the studio with a lingering smile.

“She did,” Myungsoo answers, “for the first 6 months. And then all her manners vanished into thin air.”

“Yah, I still do!” Suzy retorts, playfully hitting Myungsoo’s arm.

“Yah,” Woohyun echoes Suzy, teasing her. He turns to Sungjong and emphasizes, “She said ‘yah’!”

“It’s a joke!” Suzy unconsciously begins to whine, “I do that some times. We’re that close.”

“Everyone!” Woohyun exclaims, turning back to the camera again, “This ship sails itself.”

“Isn’t that what you guys always say in situations like this?” he appeals to fans of the couple.

“Whoa, hyung, you’re really quite the fan expert,” Myungsoo says, looking impressed.

“Of course, I’m not called Nam Trainer for nothing,” Woohyun proudly returns, his eyes reduced to thin crescent moons.

“There’s still more that the fans are curious about,” Sungjong speaks up, “We have to hurry up; we still have a few more segments to go.”

“I’ll go on to the next question then,” Sungjong continues, and after receiving signals of approval from the other three, he reads, “Why don’t the two of you follow each other on Twitter?”

“Ah, that…” Myungsoo begins, “I wanted to do so when we first became friends, but I kept on forgetting about it. And then when we got together, we decided that we shouldn’t follow each other to avoid rumours.”

“Even if we added each other, we wouldn’t be able to chat freely on Twitter.” Suzy points out, “Twitter is mainly for work purposes. I think it’s the same for most people in this industry, right?”

“I sometimes manually stalk her Twitter though. Although we agreed on not following each other, I bookmarked it instead,” Myungsoo admits with a shy smile which he partly covers with one hand.

“Oh, you do?” Suzy turns to Myungsoo, genuinely surprised, and then adds, “I do that sometimes, too. I have the strongest urges to favourite your tweets but I stop myself.”

Myungsoo smiles complacently and says, “I expected as much.”

“But most of the time, our mode of contact is by phone. We call or text each other,” he finishes.

“Of course. What else do you do with the phone?” Woohyun teases. Sungjong follows up with a request that makes the hearts of both Myungsoo and Suzy race in anxiety.

“Can we see the text messages you exchanged?”

“No!” Myungsoo swiftly replies, as if on automatic.

“Do you know how much more curious our viewers will be if you say that?” Woohyun poses a rhetoric question to coax Myungsoo into revealing the messages, “They might think you have something to hide.”

With a cautious smile and wide eyes, Suzy looks to and fro, at Myungsoo, and then at the two emcees.

“We’ll just see one day. As an example,” Sungjong bargains.

“Who knows? You might just scroll all the way,” Myungsoo mutters under his breath.

“Do you not trust us that much? The viewers might start thinking that Infinite has internal problems,” Woohyun starts to exaggerate.

Myungsoo turns to face Suzy and mouths, ‘Is it okay?’

Suzy’s eyes close softly, forming a gentle expression as she nods.

Myungsoo passes the phone to Sungjong, a little reluctantly.

“You said one day. That’ll be just this morning.”

“Ah,” Woohyun makes a sound while reading the messages, “Sungjong-ah, let’s act this out. I’m L and you’re Suzy.”

 

Woohyun clears his throat before starting. In a pretense sweet voice that is almost repulsive, he says, “Honey, have you woken up?”

At this, Myungsoo shoots up immediately and vigorously retorts, “I didn’t say ‘honey’! And why’re you using such a disgusting tone of voice?”

Woohyun bursts into laughter, deep dimples forming on either edge of his lips. “Don’t interrupt the skit,” he grumbles, “Or do you two want to personally act it out instead?”

Suzy shakes her head in protest, saying, “Finish what you started. This is pretty hilarious.”

“Fine, I’ll do it as it is,” Woohyun says, but still uses the exaggerated sugary tone of voice, “Have you woken up?”

Sungjong carries on by reading Suzy’s message with a fitting smooth voice. “Yes, I’m on the way to the salon now. Are you nervous for the broadcast later? You have to help me if I don’t know what to say, okay?”

“If anyone of us is nervous later, let’s just hold each other’s hands discreetly, keke,” Woohyun eyes the couple at this point, “It wasn’t discreet. Just saying.”

“Okay, starting from ‘keke’. Anyway, Woohyun hyung and Sungjongie will be emcee-ing. I’m not sure if I should be relieved or scared. He puts a question mark here,” Woohyun laughs. He is just about to say something when Sungjong continues.

“Ah, really? Wouldn’t it be better to work with people we’re close to? Ah, I haven’t seen Sungjong for quite some time, I miss him,” Sungjong chuckles while reading. Forming the gesture of an arrow using one hand, he points to Suzy with a grin and says coolly, “I miss you too.”

“Ahem,” Woohyun begins and clarifies, “He actually typed that, everyone.”

“Ahem, you’re not allowed to miss other guys. I’ll be watching you and Sungjong closely later!” Woohyun does a pretty good job at voice acting.

Myungsoo guffaws at his own message, clapping his hands wildly like an excited seal as he does so.

“There are three exclamation marks here,” Woohyun elaborates to show the level of agitation displayed in Myungsoo’s message.

“My turn!” Sungjong announces and carries on with Suzy’s reply, “I’ll be really chummy with Sungjong oppa just to irritate you. Ha ha ha ha ha.” Sungjong barely manages a faked evil laughter.

“That’s the last message for today,” he concludes.

“So!” Woohyun suddenly stood up and clasped his hands, “To test how well L can hide his jealousy and anger, we shall make Sungjong and Suzy do a mission!”

“What mission?” Sungjong spouts, flipping through the emcee cards anxiously.

“Sungjong-ah, you won’t find it in there,” Woohyun smirks as he says, “I just came up with it on the spot. The director gave me a thumbs up.”

“Fine, what is it?” Sungjong says confidently, hands across his chest.

“Come here, Suzy,” Woohyun beckons with a wave of his hand.

After positioning Sungjong and Suzy side by side, Woohyun reveals the command. “Do you know the Latin dance?”

Sungjong rolls his eyes animatedly while Suzy shakes her head no with a wide grin.

“We’ll do a simple one,” he says and goes on to show them the steps for a short routine of the dance.

“You have to look into each other’s eyes the whole time!” Woohyun emphasizes, “The motive is not to do a perfect dance but to make L jealous! Music play!”

Myungsoo snickers at the comment. He is comfortably laid back on the mini sofa, hugging a soft cushion, his eyes focused on the two.

Sungjong awkwardly places a hand on Suzy’s waist as they begin the dance routine. They look into each other’s eyes as commanded but their cheeks are puffed from suppressing laughter. As the routine goes, Sungjong is made to hold Suzy intimately and spin her around. They move their feet forward and back, more or less in sync with the music, and sway their bottoms as requested by the demanding emcee. From the way they slightly stagger, it isn’t difficult to tell that they aren’t familiar with this sort of dance.

It isn’t before long that Suzy accidentally steps onto Sungjong’s toes. The first person to burst into laughter is Myungsoo.

Flustered, Suzy covers with a hand and exclaims, “Oh, I’m really sorry! Does it hurt?” She bends down slightly and looks at Sungjong’s toes with worried eyes.

“No, it’s okay,” Sungjong speaks to Suzy in a gentle voice, but takes a 180 degree turn when he yells at Woohyun, “What kind of mission is this? I’m not doing it anymore!”

“Is our Myungsoo fine?” Woohyun teases in a tone one would use to cajole a little child and smiles at Myungsoo obnoxiously.

Myungsoo chuckles and mildly shakes his head at the scenario. “This is so much fun.”

“Ah, he’s the kind to keep his feelings to himself.”

“If it were some other guy, especially you, Nam Woohyun, I might get jealous. But I know Sungjong isn’t interested, and besides, they’ve been friends for so long. And so, your mission has failed.”

“That’s right. You're so conscious of your image. You wouldn’t let me succeed so easily,” Woohyun muses.

While Myungsoo and Woohyun are bickering, Suzy and Sungjong have already returned to their seats.

“Hyungs, both of you,” Sungjong calls, “Stop it with the dissing already. We aren’t filming “This is Infinite”, and we’re running out of time.”

Woohyun laughs embarrassedly, “Yes, maknae-ya. I just needed to give myself a way out, because I failed. Let’s move on.”

Myungsoo also returns to Suzy’s side, and they smile at each other as they meet eyes.

“I wanted to see you jealous, though,” Suzy chuckles.

Myungsoo sticks his tongue out a little in response. He whispers into her ear, “Let’s eat out with your male friends then. It’d be a good opportunity to size them up as well.”

Suzy turns to face him. She furrows her brows and pouts. “What?”

He smirks and wears the crooked smile she likes the most. “I’m kidding. I’m pretty sure there will be many more chances. As long as it’s not Sungjong, I get jealous quite easily.”

 


A/N: Hey, I'm sorry I took so long to update, haha. I got distracted watching dramas ^^"